Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

The X-Files (now including talk about the reboot (D&G incl.))

Old March 26th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: The X-Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Just watched Fight the Future last night I actually prefer this movie to IWTB (although that dang bee ruined a certain scene )
I prefer FtF too.

Quote:
I also watched 'How the Ghosts Stole Christmas'. One of my fave. eps
That is a great episode. Funny and a bit disconcerting.

Quote:
I was reading your guys previous posts and I do agree that the monster-of-the-week eps (the standalone eps) are the best. When I started watching the series several years ago, I wasn't into the mytharc eps, but now, I've gotten into them and do enjoy them (but I still don't like the supersoldier episodes )
I don't even look at the episodes with the super soldiers as being close to the quality of the earlier mytharc episodes. The writing of the last two seasons was hit or miss for me, so it's more to do with the writing than the nature of the mytharc as far as I'm concerned.

I personally enjoyed all the types of episodes the show had to offer. So whether it was a mythology or MotW (funny or scary) it worked for me. Unless the episode was just not good, of course. I know many people who liked only one or the other, but the reason I am a fan is because I liked both and I thought the show managed to strike a good balance between them. Oh and I loved most of the characters too so that had something to do with it as well.

Sponsored Links
Old March 26th, 2010, 8:50 pm
MODLY CREW

What I didn't always enjoy was the faith arch. Scully's religiousness became part of her character after the cancer had nearly killed her but episodes like the ones with the quadruplets that were followed by a demonic figure and then saved by an angel...I don't know. They didn't really fit into the X-Files universe.

Old March 26th, 2010, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
What I didn't always enjoy was the faith arch. Scully's religiousness became part of her character after the cancer had nearly killed her but episodes like the ones with the quadruplets that were followed by a demonic figure and then saved by an angel...I don't know. They didn't really fit into the X-Files universe.
Oh I liked those too. I'm a big fan of the show, what can I say? I also like how it became a big part of her character. I didn't love that particular episode, though.

I don't know if I would have watched as loyally if I only liked one type of episode on the show. Hmm... maybe the characters would have been enough to keep me interested.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:09 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I agree. I do understand that religion is a huge aspect of Scully's character, but I tend to skip those episodes since I don't really enjoy them. Scully is my favorite character, but I don't like her episodes. The X-Files isn't the same without Mulder. The only ones I can watch like those are 'Christmas Carol' and 'Emily'. Maybe that's why the fifth season is my least favorite.

Old March 26th, 2010, 10:42 pm
MODLY CREW

I enjoy Scully-centric episodes in general, just not the religious-heavy ones in particular. Mulder without Scully is no fun, either, in my view. They need each other to balance each other out.

Old March 27th, 2010, 5:44 am

Quote:
I enjoy Scully-centric episodes in general, just not the religious-heavy ones in particular. Mulder without Scully is no fun, either, in my view. They need each other to balance each other out.
Definitely. I would say that Mulder and Scully feel the same way. I do like episodes where they are mostly apart for the episodes but trying to help the other... usually those are Mytharc episodes like the Biogenisis Trilogy, Ascension/One Breath.

I watched some more episodes today: Squeeze, Conduit, The Jersey Devil. Oh gotta love the first season. It's so great. It has so many elements that make XF a great show, but it also has some goofiness that cracks me up.

Old March 27th, 2010, 9:42 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
Just watched Fight the Future last night I actually prefer this movie to IWTB (although that dang bee ruined a certain scene )

I also watched 'How the Ghosts Stole Christmas'. One of my fave. eps I was reading your guys previous posts and I do agree that the monster-of-the-week eps (the standalone eps) are the best. When I started watching the series several years ago, I wasn't into the mytharc eps, but now, I've gotten into them and do enjoy them (but I still don't like the supersoldier episodes )
Me too. The whole fighting against the world thing was awesome . And dang bee . I hated that thing with a passion .

Seconded. They seem to have more of a storyline to them.

Me too on that one. Not a huge fan of them -- in fact they sound like some sort of children's toy ...

Quote:
Seconded. There were times when that story arc got on my nerves... there was too much overt religious symbolism that happened that almost drove me away from the show itself.

Quote:
For the most part, I do as well. And I definitely agree about the whole Mulder without Scully thing being no fun. Having one without the other was rather depressing at times...

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; March 27th, 2010 at 9:45 pm.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:52 pm
MODLY CREW

Yesterday, I watched the pilot, which I had surprisingly not seen before. They looked so adorably young. I read somewhere that Gillian lied about her age to get the role because she would have been to young for a fully trained FBI agent and doctor.

Old March 30th, 2010, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Yesterday, I watched the pilot, which I had surprisingly not seen before. They looked so adorably young. I read somewhere that Gillian lied about her age to get the role because she would have been to young for a fully trained FBI agent and doctor.
Yea I saw that episode not too long ago myself... and yea I know . They were just kids then . I remember hearing about that one myself...

Also... how did you like the entire ep yourself? I liked it well enough... the acting wasn't great -- but hey they were just starting off -- so I gave them a pass on that one .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:09 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfan1 View Post
Yea I saw that episode not too long ago myself... and yea I know . They were just kids then . I remember hearing about that one myself...

Also... how did you like the entire ep yourself? I liked it well enough... the acting wasn't great -- but hey they were just starting off -- so I gave them a pass on that one .
I liked the episode because now I finally understood the mirror piece several seasons later. You know, in which they meet the guy again, who is now with the police, stop at the cross Mulder drew on the street and Mulder gets kidnapped. Makes much more sense now.

Anyway, I love, love, love the scene in which Scully has Mulder check on her mosquito bites and he's such a boy about it. And then she gets her first huggy bear hug! N'awwww.

Old March 31st, 2010, 12:15 am

Quote:
I liked the episode because now I finally understood the mirror piece several seasons later. You know, in which they meet the guy again, who is now with the police, stop at the cross Mulder drew on the street and Mulder gets kidnapped. Makes much more sense now.

Anyway, I love, love, love the scene in which Scully has Mulder check on her mosquito bites and he's such a boy about it. And then she gets her first huggy bear hug! N'awwww.
Ah yea I know ... also did you notice the hotel scene... the one from the Truth is a mirror of the first one... only more intimate -- just gotta love the hotel bed scene ( nothing happens -- but there's definitely a hint of their relationship there -- if you know what I mean )...

Me too... that one is a classic -- it looks risqué, but it's not . Gotta love the beginning of a tradition there .

Old April 5th, 2010, 8:48 pm
Second Year

I absolutely loooove this series.

I don't remember my first episode, but I remember really liking the paranormal elements in the earlier episodes. It kept me wanting more, somehow. It kept me comfortable, entertained. Suddenyl, I see my first Alien Mythology episode, and I'm instantly hooked!

I've seen both of the movies. The second one I got to see in theatres. I begged my parents to take me to go see it, probably a few days it came out. Definitely worth the money to pay to see a X-Files movie.

My favorite character's always been Mulder.

Didn't Chris say they were making a third movie?

Old April 6th, 2010, 5:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin_12 View Post
I absolutely loooove this series.

I don't remember my first episode, but I remember really liking the paranormal elements in the earlier episodes. It kept me wanting more, somehow. It kept me comfortable, entertained. Suddenyl, I see my first Alien Mythology episode, and I'm instantly hooked!

I've seen both of the movies. The second one I got to see in theatres. I begged my parents to take me to go see it, probably a few days it came out. Definitely worth the money to pay to see a X-Files movie.

My favorite character's always been Mulder.

Didn't Chris say they were making a third movie?
Cool, it's awesome to see another X-Files fan here on the boards .

And a fellow fan of the 2nd movie... do you have a favorite scene?

Yes he did. And hopefully there will be one.

Old April 6th, 2010, 7:08 pm
Second Year

Well, he is doing the third based on how much the 2nd movie has made. If X-Files is still revelant, than yes, he'll be doing the 3rd movie. Ican't wait if he decides to!!

I liked all the Mulder scenes of course.
However, the one stadning-out scene would have to be when Scully was talking to the Priest about his psychic ability. Such powerful emotion was conveyed during it.

Old April 6th, 2010, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytherin_12 View Post
Well, he is doing the third based on how much the 2nd movie has made. If X-Files is still revelant, than yes, he'll be doing the 3rd movie. Ican't wait if he decides to!!

I liked all the Mulder scenes of course.
However, the one stadning-out scene would have to be when Scully was talking to the Priest about his psychic ability. Such powerful emotion was conveyed during it.
Same here . Doubters be darned . As long as it's not too overly religious and stuff -- I'm cool with it.

Ah... do you mean the one where they were arguing in the hospital? Or do you mean the one where they were at the priest's place?

Both of those scenes were good.

Old April 6th, 2010, 9:19 pm
MODLY CREW

The third film, if it were to be made, would probably be about the 2012 colonisation. It would be a fantastic finale.

Old April 6th, 2010, 9:22 pm

Quote:
The third film, if it were to be made, would probably be about the 2012 colonisation. It would be a fantastic finale.
Yep, just as long as the writing and dialogue were good. Chris needs some help in that area , since it's not his strong suit .

And a little bit of flirting, kidding around (ala: The Unnatural) and making out wouldn't hurt either . I mean, come on -- it'll be nearing 20 years for Moose and Squirrel...

And lots of action, and kicking aliens butts... now that would be a movie .

Just as long as they don't pull a 2012 -- I heard that movie sucked.

And I heard some great news over on Haven ... the X-Files is now available on Netflix...

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; April 7th, 2010 at 5:11 am.
Old April 9th, 2010, 12:20 am

Speaking of things...

Anyone have favorite screen caps that they'd like to share from the show/movies?

Put them in expand tags... since I forgot too by mistake and Moriath was kind enough to remind me -- thanks again . Don't want to have anyone using slower internet to get bogged down by a lot of pics... I know how that is...

here are Fawkesfan1's:    

Good close up of M & S from IWTB

The boat scene XD. Love it. Never thought I'd ever see this one coming.

The hurtMulder! scene from IWTB... just love the emotion from the both of them in this scene, it's just palpable

Something for fellow shippers XD -- not hurt, drugged, torture or work related nudity XD... at last

Oh great, where did those 9 minutes go...?

So not fair... =p... there better be some making out next time...

Some of my faves...

One of the few flirty moments for those two... dang it...

The image says it all .

A total 'Aww...' moment here...

Yea!! No bees . The FTF outtake (in character... not the 'up against the wall' one)... pardon the screen stretch... (56k warning there O_O)

'up against the wall kiss' not in character but still funny

The kiss that they did in character... yes their IS hope ...

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; April 14th, 2010 at 8:15 pm. Reason: added in a mention about expand tags
Old April 14th, 2010, 8:42 pm

Some interesting stuff I found about William on Frank's blog over on Big Light...

Link to it

Quote:
April 14th, 2010
Million Questions

hello frank,
ok i know i am not the only one whose eyebrows raised when i read your response to (towards 2012). you picked very interesting words to respond to him. here is your response “I don’t think you’re likely to see a mini-series prior to a third movie being released in 2012. As for the story the movie would tell, my lips are sealed. Don’t give up!” you said “prior to a third movie being released in 2012″ what does this mean or am i reading too much into this or the other million questions i have in my head right now? and then you say “as for the story the movie would tell” like there is already a story worked out? i know i speak for the masses when i say this was a very intersting way to answer towards 2012. can you elaborate any on this?? thank you for all the great memories.
Scott L
south carolina

I’m not trying to tease — I don’t have any news to report. But it should come as no surprise that Chris and I have thought about the story the movie would tell. I remain optimistic that the movie will get made, and that it will be released by December 2012. Don’t give up!

Posted in Mailbag

April 13th, 2010
Toward 2012

I appreciate your attention to the fans and your openness to our questions.

My particular question has to do with the super soldier aspect of the mythology that takes some criticism for being “introduced” late in the series’ run. I don’t see it that way, however. Super soldiers were a part of the X-Files mythology as early as “Eve” in Season 1 and even in the “Colony,” “Anasazi” and “Nisei” episodes they are implied in the story. Was there ever any intention to tie these early season super soldiers to the ones from Seasons 8 and 9?

For your suggestion box, I submit casting one of the “Eves” as a super soldier/replacement in the third movie. I think a lot of fans appreciate any attempts to tie things together.

We’re not giving up on a third movie but I was wondering what time frame to expect if you are indeed targeting a 2012 release?
Thanks.
Jason
Lexington, Kentucky

Dear Frank,
It’s some time since I’ve written to you but I’ve been continuing to read your blog and find is really heartening that so many fans still want to see more X-Files. I’m also awaiting the arrival of my multi-region Blu-ray player so I can finally enjoy Fight the Future in hi def!

Thinking about a third movie, I’ve been wondering how you feel about the task you face in writing it. Does the number of characters and plot points to service make it feel like a daunting challenge? And would something along the lines of a three-part mini-series to lead into the film ever be considered?
Warm wishes,
Graham
UK

I don’t think you’re likely to see a mini-series prior to a third movie being released in 2012. As for the story the movie would tell, my lips are sealed. Don’t give up!

Posted in Mailbag
Sounds like they have some stuff written up idea/story wise, which is a good thing there.

And something VERY interesting... about how William came to be (a good fan theory)...

Quote:

April 11th, 2010
Scully’s “Miracle”

Hi Frank!
First of all, I would like to start by saying that it’s my birthday today and as a present to myself, I wanted to write and dedicate this to the show that changed my life and to the many philes that always keep the faith of wanting to believe.

A few months ago, I was doing some research for Biology class about the reproductive system. Being as interested as I am in the topic about fertility, I did a little ‘side’ research for myself. Long story short, I ran into a list of possible causes of infertility in women and came across the diagnosis ‘pituitary adenoma’. For those of you not familiar with the term, a pituitary adenoma is a tumor (in most cases benign but prone to being cancerous) in your pituitary gland (located in your brain, just behind the back of your nose) that secretes an excess of prolactin, which reduces your estrogen levels and inhibits ovulation.

I have to admit, the first thing to come to mind when I read this was Scully. The cancer arc, and how Scully’s conception came to be, has always intrigued me and the fact that the show never quite explained it, just leaves me with a huge curiosity to find the truth.

As I kept reading, everything just kept making sense. You see, the symptoms of a pituitary adenoma is a disruption in the hormones that are secreted by the pituitary, these include the fertility related hormones and a pressure at the site that may result in nosebleeds, frequent vertigo and headaches. Now, these tumors are most commonly found in young or middle aged adults and the cause of pituitary tumors is unknown, but I think that just adds to the mystery that is in The X-Files.

Yes, I know that Scully’s ova were taken. But the only thing that always irked me, was the fact that, in the show, they claim Scully’s ova were taken, not her ovaries or fallopian tubes. If this is correct, the number of retrieved ova are never said. A woman is already born with all the number of ova she will ever have, and mind you, they are millions. And who’s to say the ova removed from Scully were only a fraction? Or were only the ova from one of her ovaries? Which leads me to think that there might have been ova left behind.

I believe that Scully’s cancer may have actually been a rare case of Pituitary Adenoma, and that she was just misdiagnosed as to what caused her infertility. My thoughts are that Scully’s ova, were never fully taken away from her, despite what they made her think, and that paired with the symptoms of a pituitary adenoma, she was lead to infertility.

Now, to my theory about the conception: It is my thought that when Scully decided to have her IV, she was given some amounts of hormones to stabilize her body for the treatment. Sadly, as we all know, the IV didn’t take, but these hormones might have stabilized her enough to even bring a normal ovulation to occur in her body. She might have been lucky enough to have brought Mulder in her bed in that one lonely night, thus ending in the conception of William.

And as for William’s special abilities, all there is left to say is he is definitely a daddy’s boy, seeing as though Mulder himself carries alien DNA as showed in season 6.

“Never give up on a miracle.” Mulder had said Scully, and even though the way I have thought William came to be was all by medical assumption, I don’t think it makes him any less of a miracle.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject, or as to what was the real reason behind it… then again, a phile can only dream.
Regards,
Tashira C.
Puerto Rico

Happy birthday, Tashira, and thank you for the fascinating research. I wish I could comment, but (frustratingly) I can’t.

Posted in Mailbag
This really was an interesting read and made quite a bit of sense. Here's to hoping that Chris and Frank don't have William to be some sort of 'alien from outer space' baby that didn't involve Mulder or something like that...

Old August 4th, 2010, 8:28 pm

I saw the nice little marathon that Sci fi had on awhile back... but I didn't get a chance to review the part I did see...

Syzgy (sp?) -- 8/10

This episode made me laugh in parts... truly random is all I can say here. The plot is pretty decent, with the moon affecting people in different ways (not going to say anything more about it though -- since I don't want to spoil the surprise for anyone who hasn't seen this episode).

The acting is pretty good from everyone and the pacing is nice too.

Another one I saw (twice -- once on Sci Fi and once on DVD)...

Space -- 6/10

This one is interesting... in the fact that it doesn't make the most sense at times . It's not as bad as I thought it would be... but it still isn't that good. One good thing that came out of it -- was the development of their (Mulder and Scully's) banter. It's starting to get good in this episode.

As for the acting, it was for the most part ok. But I can see why Chris doesn't like it... . A whole lot of effects and such... and not the best plot line.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; August 4th, 2010 at 9:10 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television