Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old November 10th, 2011, 9:34 pm
Second Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Wise View Post
There is no age limit on fantasy. For someone to tell me I'm too old to read Harry Potter, well that person just does not have any imagination at all then! Now I would totally understand if they told me I'm too old to watch cartoons, but guess what? They still make me laugh, and they still remind me that stress in life can be eased with a little humor, even if it means watching or reading "childrens" things.
I agree.
Just because things are aimed at a younger audience, doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. Why wouldn't we? Cartoons are easy to watch and are a great way to take your mind off things. And the Harry Potter world provides a lovely escape from real life, in addition to just being very well written books, that should be enjoyed by people of all ages.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Sponsored Links
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:25 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielo View Post
I agree.
Just because things are aimed at a younger audience, doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. Why wouldn't we? Cartoons are easy to watch and are a great way to take your mind off things. And the Harry Potter world provides a lovely escape from real life, in addition to just being very well written books, that should be enjoyed by people of all ages.
I couldn't agree more. My father used to sit in front of the tv every morning for years and have his bowl of cereal and watch Tom and Jerry with us kids, and he would laugh so hard. Growing up I always thought he was just laughing to make us kids smile. Now that I'm out in the world and have a stressful job, I get it. Things like that make us forget about all the negative things for a short while. So when I come home stressed and tired, and I see Harry Potter on abc family, darn tootin' I will sit there and watch it over and over, because it's enjoyable.

Old November 11th, 2011, 1:24 am
First Year

Definitely not! Even though I read the books when I was older, I know I would have enjoyed them when I was a younger child. I probably wouldn't have gotten the full impact of some of the darker themes in the last books, but would have enjoyed them all the same. And I know when I am old and read them again, they will bring back great memories and probably mean something different to me then.

sig by DarkLord7

If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
~Sirius Black

Pottermore:
CauldronPixie6904
Hufflepuff
Wand-black walnut, phoenix feather core, 10 3/4 inches, hard flexibility
Old November 11th, 2011, 3:38 am
First Year

I don't think it's possible to be too old to read any book, whatever book you decide to read, it will be better than the alternative of, say, turning on the tv.

amare sciurus aeternum

cogito, sum ergo Ravenclaw
Old November 15th, 2011, 1:05 am
Second Year

I have never thought or will think that i am too old for the books.

I started reading them when i was seven. I'm 20 next year, and i still read them.

What i love most (and i don't know if anyone else has experienced this) about re-reading the books as i grow older, is that i notice new themes in the series that i wouldn't have understood as a child, but do now as an adult.

For example, when i was younger i couldn't understand why Dumbledore would have lied to Harry when he said that he saw a pair of socks when he looked in the mirror of Erised. As a seven year old, i completely believed that the Headmaster wanted a pair of socks, but as i grew older i started to wonder what Dumbledore desired most in the world.

As an adult i can also see more of the moral lessons that Rowling left in the books, like stay strong, be loyal to your friends, love conquers all - that i possibly wouldn't have got as a child.

So i'm still discovering a greater understanding of the books to this day!

Until the very end.
Old November 15th, 2011, 6:35 pm
First Year

People might say anything but as long as you know that you enjoy and like the Harry Potter books you shouldn't worry about their opinions. It's true they are very interesting and well written that many people get obssesed with them which is Not bad. So, keep on reading if you enjoy them.

It is our choices... that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.

It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.

Of course this is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?

Albus Dumbledore
Old November 25th, 2011, 8:40 pm
Second Year

There is nothing quite like settling down with a good book, and Harry Potter is the best. Age doesn't matter, I enjoy it very much. It puts my imagination to work, and takes me into the world of Hogwarts which I love.

Old November 25th, 2011, 8:56 pm
First Year

I'm almost 22, and I still love 'Harry Potter'. It doesn't matter how old you are, if you love something, enjoy it to the fullest

Old November 26th, 2011, 7:32 pm
First Year

I only started reading Harry Potter about a year ago, when I was 19. I'm not a longtime fan who sticks with Harry Potter as it's a part of my childhood, though I really wish I'd have discovered it sooner. To me this proves that anyone, regardless of age, can relate to and love the Harry Potter books.

"There are some things you canít share without ending up liking each other,
and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them."
- J.K. Rowling
Old December 6th, 2011, 4:33 am
First Year

I don't think Harry Potter has an age limit. Especially since you can buy Adult covered versions.

Old December 6th, 2011, 8:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorey1 View Post
What i love most (and i don't know if anyone else has experienced this) about re-reading the books as i grow older, is that i notice new themes in the series that i wouldn't have understood as a child, but do now as an adult.

For example, when i was younger i couldn't understand why Dumbledore would have lied to Harry when he said that he saw a pair of socks when he looked in the mirror of Erised. As a seven year old, i completely believed that the Headmaster wanted a pair of socks, but as i grew older i started to wonder what Dumbledore desired most in the world.
That's what I think as well!

I re-read some chapters of OotP lately, and I could completely understand why Harry was so jealous about Ron&Hermione being prefects.
When I was younger, I just accepted his feelings and didn't think about it any further, but when I think about it now, I realize that that's what many people are like at age 15, probaly including what I was like.
It's somehow interesting to read this story that contains so much growing up of the characters after you have been through the same process, I guess you view some things quite different than from when you were a child.

But like obviously almost everyone, I agree with the fact that I think you can't be too old for Harry Potter (or books in general, since many books written for adolescent boys and girls are still nice to read for me).

Old December 8th, 2011, 3:41 am
First Year

It's different for me now too. I think the fact that the book covers such a long period of time and you get to see the characters grow up is why you kind of can't let it go like you do other things. When I was a kid reading these books for me all the magic stuff was just "Cool". I just finished re-reading them and its' so much more now...I relate to so many of the characters on so many levels in a way that it even makes me wonder about myself. It makes me wonder if I'll realize something else if I read it again in 10 years.

I don't know if I'll still like Harry Potter when I'm older but a big part of me feels like I'll never be able to let it go.

Old December 8th, 2011, 3:50 am
Fourth Year

I really can't imagine my life without Harry Potter. I love re-reading the books because I always find something new in them! I've loved Harry Potter ever since I discovered it, I really don't think I'll ever be to old for it.

Besides, my Grandma got into the series before the first movie came out..and she still likes it at 74.

Old December 17th, 2011, 10:40 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Besides, my Grandma got into the series before the first movie came out..and she still likes it at 74.
I'd love to meet your grandma. I'm 67...I love Harry Potter especially Snape

Old December 18th, 2011, 11:04 am
Second Year

The best "children's books" have always appealed to adults as well. Many of today's children's classics were written for adults: Black Beauty, Bambi, the Call of the Wild, all of Robert Louis Stevenson's books, the Sherlock Holmes stories, The Prince and the Pauper, a Conneticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Around the World in Eighty Days, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ... so why shouldn't the pendulum swing the other way as well?

Old December 18th, 2011, 11:18 am
Fourth Year

It has been a very important part of my daughter's life - she introduced me to the books and I know they will be with me for ever! I belong to a book group and none of them have ever read Harry Potter, and probably never will - and they just don't know what they're missing!

In the busy run up to Christmas I am very much looking forward to re-reading them again in January, when I am a little less stressed!

Old December 18th, 2011, 12:19 pm
First Year

Nah, I think not. xD Harry is old also anyways. :P He's not like Shinichi who doesn't seem to age. Ahahahaha

Old December 20th, 2011, 3:10 am
First Year

Never have I been told I was too old for Harry Potter. I know deep down I could never be. I grew up with HP - I was excited to read them because my friend went out of her way to buy it for me. I love her for that gift. It's been a hard road for Harry, but all of us here has been there for him.

"After all this time?"

"Always."

Always has been a Slytherin, and always will be.
Old December 21st, 2011, 2:57 am
First Year

This year I have a English teacher who was originally from London who has not read Harry Potter. I have tried to convince him to read them but he always says that he is too old to try them and that I am too old to still be obsessing over them. It drives me completely crazy. I even have several other Harry Potter obsessed friends in that class who have joined me but he still claims that HP is only a children's book. I really don't like this teacher!

Old December 25th, 2011, 12:09 am
First Year

I'm 20 [im nearly 21] and feel like I will never be too old. I feel the books are such a big part of me which is such a shame to loss. I think most ppl are closer to my age and even older who still love hp which is a good thing. However my parents think my love of hp is a bit srange tbh so I only really discuss with other fans

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak