Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old July 23rd, 2011, 8:18 am
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Heaven's, no. I am 50. I write for a living (technical writing, not fiction), I read vast quantities of most every genre and I find them engaging. Who cares what anyone might think about it?

Old September 7th, 2011, 4:43 am
First Year

Not at all! IMO the HP novels are not really age specific...they are those special books that effortlessly cross the age divide. Honestly, I don't believe that there is a thing as being 'too old' to share in the joy and experience of losing yourself in a good book; whether it's a children's novel or not.

If you find a book that has a great plot, great character development, and keeps you engaged, read it!

Professor Severus Snape - brooding, detached, sarcastic, misanthropic, indomitable, complex, enigmatic. PERFECT. The embodiment of a writer's beautiful but damned dream man. "...a gift of a character" - J.K. Rowling

"The mind is not a book, to be opened at will and examined at leisure...The mind is a complex and many-layered thing."

"Would you like me to do it now? Or would you like a few moments to compose an epitaph?"

"And my soul, Dumbledore? Mine?"
---
Pottermore : StormElm168 - House: Gryffindor
Old September 7th, 2011, 7:26 am
Hogwarts Graduate

there are some books that I read as a child, I am still reading them as an adult. The same will hold true for Harry.

Old September 7th, 2011, 9:43 am
First Year

There is no age limit to which somebody can enjoy a book,yes Harry Potter is much more than just a book now but this still applies

Old September 7th, 2011, 3:05 pm
Second Year

Never! There are things kids grow out of but I Harry Potter is not one of them. I feel like the stories were grittier and had more depth as the series progressed. I don't think of HP as a children's series, though it was intended to be. I feel it was one of those rare books that appeals to all ages and connects them through the mutual love of this epic story. I will never be too old for it.

Viva La Glittelution!
Old September 7th, 2011, 3:43 pm
Seventh Year

The brilliance of Harry Potter is that it was written for all ages and varied interests. It works on so many different levels - it's funny, it's suspenseful, it's fanciful.

I'm in my 40's and didn't discover the series until this year. I enjoy CoS, which I just re-read, because of the humor and the excitement of "what's gonna happen next?" and "whodunnit?" I think the average 11 year old who gives the book a chance would agree with me. It's for all ages.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old September 7th, 2011, 4:49 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoonyLuna22 View Post
Never! There are things kids grow out of but I Harry Potter is not one of them. I feel like the stories were grittier and had more depth as the series progressed. I don't think of HP as a children's series, though it was intended to be. I feel it was one of those rare books that appeals to all ages and connects them through the mutual love of this epic story. I will never be too old for it.
I always hear this, that HP was intended to be a children's book but says who? I don't recall Jo ever stating she set out to write a book for kids to enjoy, she just got an idea while on the train and wrote it down, she says herself she didn't have an audience in mind and didn't think anyone would like it except her sister (an adult). The children's book thing was something created by the marketting and is something Jo (humble as she is) just went along with but it proved quite quickly (even back in 98) that adults enjoyed the books just as much if not more.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; September 7th, 2011 at 4:52 pm.
Old September 7th, 2011, 5:01 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I always hear this, that HP was intended to be a children's book but says who? I don't recall Jo ever stating she set out to write a book for kids to enjoy, she just got an idea while on the train and wrote it down, she says herself she didn't have an audience in mind and didn't think anyone would like it except her sister. The children's book thing was something created by the marketting and is something Jo (humble as she is) just went along with but it proved quite quickly (even back in 98) that adults enjoyed the books just as much if not more.
I don't quite understand this. It is very obvious to me that PS/SS, CoS and PoA are all children's books, and written as such. Why is that negative? Writing for children is very challenging! It takes a lot of talent to write a children's classic.

As the series progressed and darkened, then the books started morphing more into the Young Adult genre. That is obvious, too. But the treatment of sexuality in the series in particular brackets it as Young Adult -- not adult -- fare.

When people scoff at HP, I tell them that the richness and complexity of the stories and the characterisations, are what endeared themselves to adults, and deservedly so.

But that's slightly different from the series in itself being adult fare. The contemporary fiction I like to read is in a completely different sphere to HP. HP appeals to both children and adults, which perhaps makes it unusual.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; September 7th, 2011 at 5:04 pm.
Old September 7th, 2011, 5:04 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
I don't quite understand this. It is very obvious to me that PS/SS, CoS and PoA are all children's books, and written as such. Why is that negative? Writing for children is very challenging! It takes a lot of talent to write a children's classic.

As the series progressed and darkened, then the books started morphing more into the Young Adult genre. That is obvious, too. But the treatment of sexuality in particular brackets it as Young Adult -- not adult -- fare.

When people scoff at HP, I tell them that the richness and complexity of the stories and the characterisations, are what endeared themselves to adults, and deservedly so.
Because I don't think Rowling was deliberately writing for anyone. She was going off of pure inspiration. Sure, she dosen't write out curses (she does reference many times that characters use profanity though) and we don't see any sex (it is implied in later books) but IMO sex dosen't make an adult book. I see all the books as stories for all ages and that includes kids. I rather personally label them as universal books. Labels like these are really only useful for bookstores anyway. You may mean children's book in a certain way but most people have a misconception of what a children's book is and judge the series for that title.

Old September 7th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Because I don't think Rowling was deliberately writing for anyone. She was going off of pure inspiration.
OK, but most authors do start to develop a good idea of what their likely audience might be, as they work on and polish the material.

Quote:
Sure, she dosen't write out curses (she does reference many times that characters use profanity though) and we don't see any sex (it is implied in later books)
I like the fact that HP gets pretty dark. The implied swearing amuses me! I think JKR goes as far as she deems appropriate for the market the books are aimed at.

Quote:
IMO sex dosen't make an adult book.
Well, it's certainly not necessary to include sex in an adult book but the treatment of sex would be rather different from that portrayed in HP.

Quote:
I see all the books as stories for all ages and that includes kids. I rather personally label them as universal books. Labels like these are really only useful for bookstores though.
HP certainly has universal appeal: that is undeniable. I see it as a children's series that grew up. And it's good enough for adults to enjoy!

Old September 7th, 2011, 5:16 pm
Zonko's Employee

I personally feel it's the editors and publishers who have an age market in mind, not Jo. I mean I don't think she would want to EXCLUDE children from reading her work but at the time I don't think she was ever writing exclusively for children as the moniker 'children book' implies to me.

Old September 7th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Zonko's Employee

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm a big champion of children's fiction and PS/SS is a children's book, period. It's not a book written in an adult style. When I read it for the first time, I was reminded of Roald Dahl. I think it's clever and engaging, I certainly liked it enough to want to continue reading the series, but I really prefer the later, darker books, which are more adult.

Old September 7th, 2011, 5:28 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm not really a literary person. When I read, I don't tend to focus on how something is written, I don't even put that much emphasis on the text itself, for me it's all about the world the text creates, the story, the themes, the plot and the characters. I'm unusual, I know, but I don't critique literature as most people do. The words to me are just a prop. I don't focus on the style or type of words used. As long as it's intelligible and I can understand it and it's grammaticaly correct and easy on the eyes and it works for me, I don't care. To me language is a prop, it's primary purpose IMO is communication. I don't get caught up in how pretty the words are put together or whatever, I focus more on what the words are trying to say. Language is a means to an end to me, I don't put too much stock in it as an art to itself or as a cultural thing. I tend to get immersed in a great book like any of the Potter books and lose myself. It's an experience that is difficult to explain.

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; September 7th, 2011 at 5:40 pm.
Old September 7th, 2011, 7:55 pm
First Year

I'm in my fifties and until the hoopla surrounding DH2's release had never read any of the books. I had seen a couple of the movies, which were okay, but finally got and read all the books in order over the past couple months.

It's a great story and, yeah, anyone of any age can read and enjoy it, but I think I would have liked it much better had I read them as a kid. It was pretty obvious I wasn't the intended audience (and not simply because Harry's adolescent traits and selfishness made me want to smack him instead of endearing him to me)!

Since I loved that other famous whiny kid, Holden Caulfield, when I read his book as a teenager, I chalk it up to my advanced age and loss of patience.

Old September 7th, 2011, 9:16 pm
Second Year

I don't think age is a factor in literary enjoyment. If enjoyed reading Dr. Seuss's "The Cat in the Hat," I would do so. The same ideal holds true for any book I think.

Harry Potter is a timeless series, with inviting aspects for people of all sorts.

Old September 7th, 2011, 9:44 pm
Second Year

In one word:

Spoiler: show
NO.

MCA, 1964-2012.
Do visit my My Immortal analysis: http://cwbpresentsmyimmortalanalysis.webs.com/
Old September 8th, 2011, 9:29 pm
Second Year

As long as a story appeals to you, the logical thing to do is read it. Whether it was intended as a children's book or not, some books will appeal to all ages anyway. And even if a book is primarily a children's book, I still think there's nothing wrong with reading it, as long as you enjoy it.

Personally, I grew up with Harry Potter. I was 10 when I started reading them, I'm 22 now. I see new stuff every time I read them. There is enough in there for kids and adults to enjoy.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Old September 8th, 2011, 10:26 pm
First Year

Am I the only one who always thought the books were a little too over complicated for children? I struggle at times to understand bits of it and I'm 18. I don't understand how a 10 year old is supposed to make sense of it all.

Old September 8th, 2011, 10:59 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.

I'm a big champion of children's fiction and PS/SS is a children's book, period. It's not a book written in an adult style. When I read it for the first time, I was reminded of Roald Dahl. I think it's clever and engaging, I certainly liked it enough to want to continue reading the series, but I really prefer the later, darker books, which are more adult.
I was heavily reminded of Roald Dahl too, especially by the bit about Mr Dursley working for Grunnings drills. There seemed to be distant echoes of people screwing the lids onto toothpaste tubes for a living.

Also, though, the style in which she described the Dursleys in those first pages seemed to me very similar to how Tolkien described the Bagginses in the opening pages of The Hobbit - very respectable folk, and you knew exactly what a Baggins's opinion would be on any point without the bother of asking him.

I'd say Goblet is the last of the children's books, and that they morph into "coming of age" books in No 5.

I once read a piece of Tolkien literary criticism that remarked that The Hobbit is the children's version of the stories, and that LOTR is when the children go to bed and we hear the adult version of how adventures happen. I'd say HP 4-5 is where the equivalent transition occurs.

Goblet of Fire does end with the death of one innocent and the terrorising and torture of another, not to mention the gruesome physical rebirth of the Dark Lord. But then The Hobbit ends not only with a terrible battle, but then a "terribel greedy scramble for the treasure" (Humphrey Carpenter's words).

I feel that Goblet is the book that stretches credibility the most, because it's on the cusp of this transition. It still feels very much like a children's tale, and yet Dumbledore allows Harry to take part in a terribly dangerous tournament. He almost dies, and Cedric Diggory is killed. For a headmaster to put a minor in such peril really does look irresponsible, when things turn so extremely serious and sinister at the end.

Yes, I know it achieved the blood bond and Harry's ultimate survival mechanism. But still.

Last edited by Charity_Burbage; September 8th, 2011 at 11:03 pm.
Old September 8th, 2011, 11:05 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samee View Post
Am I the only one who always thought the books were a little too over complicated for children? I struggle at times to understand bits of it and I'm 18. I don't understand how a 10 year old is supposed to make sense of it all.
I guess the later books are a lot more complex, and sometimes confusing, than the first few books are. I don't think I would have understood all of book 6 and 7 if I had read them when I was a kid. But maybe it isn't necessary for a 10 year old to make sense of it all. As long as they can understand enough, they might still enjoy the books and just read them again later.

Wand: Larch, Unicorn Core, 10 3/4, Slightly Yielding
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak