Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Are we too old for Harry Potter?

Old October 3rd, 2010, 6:39 pm
First Year

Re: Are we too old for Harry Potter?

I don't care if anyone tells me I'm too old for HP anymore, I love HP and nothing anyone say or do can change me.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:13 pm
First Year

I'll grow up with Harry Potter. I began reading the books when I was 10-11, the same age as the trio in the Philosopher's stone and when the first film come out. Now I'm almost 20 and I still love the Harry Potter saga. It's the thing I like the most.
Many people told me that the Harry Potter books are childish and that I am so crazy. But I don't care. Harry Potter will be always my favourite fandom, because it last more than half of my life and nothing can be better than this saga. And also my love for my first shipper Ron/Hermione. Since the first book I have known that they end up together, and I was right. Waitong all these years for finally read that hermione kiss ron and they get married... It has no price.

Old October 4th, 2010, 5:19 pm
First Year

In all honesty, I thought that it was for little kids at first but that was ignorant of me. I remember, to this day, of how I got into Harry Potter. I saw in a Lego catalog legos based off Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and that sparked interest in me. I then borrowed Sorcerer's Stone off my cousin and as soon as I read the first couple of pages, I got into it...I couldn't put down the book. I then got my brother into it. LoL

Last edited by N30V3N0M; October 4th, 2010 at 5:21 pm.
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:08 am
Second Year

Too old? I know two people who feel that way.

One is a jaded teen. We read OOTP simultaneously back in 2003. Not too long ago, we ran into each other. I decided to say in this silly way, "Sup, Figgy?" I received such a blank, uncomprehending look that I explained myself. The answer: a rather dismissive, "Oh, I finished those books years ago."

Another, a friend, asked me one Friday in 2005, "So what are you doing this weekend?" I said, "Reading the new Harry Potter book." I can still remember her expression: disbelief mixed with disgust. The friendship was never quite right after that.

Old October 8th, 2010, 5:39 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDobster View Post
Too old? I know two people who feel that way.

One is a jaded teen. We read OOTP simultaneously back in 2003. Not too long ago, we ran into each other. I decided to say in this silly way, "Sup, Figgy?" I received such a blank, uncomprehending look that I explained myself. The answer: a rather dismissive, "Oh, I finished those books years ago."

Another, a friend, asked me one Friday in 2005, "So what are you doing this weekend?" I said, "Reading the new Harry Potter book." I can still remember her expression: disbelief mixed with disgust. The friendship was never quite right after that.
They don't know what they're missing! But I have friends who are like this, sadly. They were somewhat interested in the movies when they came out, but now they've "grown out of the phase" Their loss...

HP is a story for all ages. And I'll continue to reread them and watch the movies

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old October 8th, 2010, 6:14 am
First Year

I will always read Harry Potter.

The first Harry Potter book that I read was Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when I was about nine years old. I had always enjoyed reading before Harry Potter, but Harry Potter made me absolutely fall in love with reading. It got me to explore my imagination more thoroughly, it was the trigger that made me start writing... and I was an amazing writer for nine years old. ;P

My parents got me books 1-4 for Christmas that year, and it's been amazing ever since.

I will hand my books down to my children when I have them, and I hope that Harry Potter will have the same wonderful effects on them as it did on me.

Harry Potter is for all ages, and it truly does have something for everyone.

xo;
Old October 21st, 2010, 11:39 pm
First Year

I'm 21 and I'm not too old for Harry Potter. A friend of mine (a huge fan of the series) is 60 and he is not too old for Harry Potter either. If you want to answer the question of this thread properly you just have to read "ON THREE WAYS OF WRITING FOR CHILDREN" by C.S.S. Lewis. You'll find it illuminating! ;-)

Old October 21st, 2010, 11:48 pm
First Year

I'm 19 and I started reading Harry Potter in like, 3rd grade? Still love it, i'll never be too old. Lol

Old October 30th, 2010, 8:12 am
Second Year

I don't think any age is too old for the HP series. It is excellently written, engaging, and thouroughly addictive. There is nothing at all child like, even, about the books once you get to book three and beyond. they are geared towards a growing audience, anyway, where the reader is assumed to be growing and aging along with the books. books 5, 6 ,and 7 are definately on the level of an adult reader.

Old November 2nd, 2010, 3:27 pm
First Year

I grew up loving adventures I imagined for technology at the time was non existent. I read the "Return to Oz" book by L. Frank Baum and all of J.R.R. Tolkien's "Hobitt" books and of course saw the Star Wars movies. I still am a fan of those books and movies, today. Now, I love to read and watch the movies of the Harry Potter series. I am just a sucker for an adventurous story. These collections will be close to my my heart to the very end. I am 41 years old. You like what you like, in a legal sense, of course.

Hold up your goblets of pumpkin juice or elf made wine or even butter beer and say "I Like the Potter Series!!!!!!" Live on true fans of the Potter Universe!

It has ended and I am sad...
Animus Entero
Old November 2nd, 2010, 4:23 pm
First Year

Booooo.... I really get furious when someone tells me I am too old fo HP! Why should I be?? I grew up reading HP books and I even convinced my mum to read them (and she LOVES them just like me even though she is pretty much older than me). Age really does not matter at all, even adult are allowed to dream and use their fantasy and that is what HP does - makes ALL (young and old) dream...

HOW COULD YOU LEARN TO CARE IF NOBODY CARES FOR YOU...

HOUSE: PROUD SLYTHERIN
Pottermore: SkullQuill
Old November 2nd, 2010, 5:03 pm
Second Year

I don't think that Harry Potter is at all just a children's book. Maybe it was intended to be one when SS/PS, CoS, PoA, and GoF were written but the books after that are much more complex and very detailed. Harry Potter is a book for all ages. There are so many intense and mature ideas that are discussed in Harry Potter and I don't think that just relates to children. I read Harry Potter in my early childhood but I still re-read the books all the time and I'm a teenager. And I'm pretty sure I will continue to read them and share them with others when I'm older. I know a lot of adults that read Harry Potter and enjoy it. I don't think anyone is too old for Harry Potter.

©GryffnSoldier
| USE KNOWLEDGE FOR POWER |
PROUD SLYTHERCLAW

HereThere
Old November 3rd, 2010, 3:24 pm
Fourth Year

I read the first Harry Potter books as an 8/9 year old and enjoyed them, but I've got the most enjoyment out of Harry Potter as I've gotten older and I can't see that changing I think the Harry Potter books are the type of books that cross generations, my mum read the whole series and enjoyed them just as much as anyone and it meant we could talk about them together, and I intend to hand down my books to my children whenever I have them So I don't think you can ever be too old for Harry Potter, and I intend to read the books til I'm old and grey

Proud Pottermore and CoS Hufflepuff!
Old November 3rd, 2010, 5:13 pm
First Year

ummmm....Harry Potter is for everyone!!!!!....why the heck would they make adult editions.....i see them everytime i go to Chapters........Long live Harry Potter!!!

Old November 3rd, 2010, 5:24 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow_wand_7_7 View Post
ummmm....Harry Potter is for everyone!!!!!....why the heck would they make adult editions.....i see them everytime i go to Chapters........Long live Harry Potter!!!
It's funnier to see someone walk into the London Underground trains with their posh work clothes, sitting down and suddenly pulling out a adult version Harry Poter book to read.

DO NOT DISTURB: SPIDERMAN DANCE IN PROGRESS!
Old November 7th, 2010, 4:20 am
First Year

Books I loved as a child only become richer for me as I get older and re-read them. I don't think it's possible to be too old for any book if you are willing to read it with an open mind and let the words speak to you. I'm 28 and I read all kinds of books, meant for adults and children and teens. I love to re-read my favorite books from childhood because I take something new away from a book each time I read it. Also, what I take away from a book will change each time I read it, because each time I read a book I am at a different place in my life. I'll sometimes see the events and characters in a particular book differently as I get older and my point of view changes.

I don't consider myself old at 28, and I am certainly not too old for Harry Potter! I don't think I ever will be (too old for HP that is - with luck I will, someday, be just plain old ).

Old November 7th, 2010, 4:34 am
First Year

Too old? Why is there an age limit to literature? To imagination and fantasy? I think it is ridiculous to entertain the idea of being too old to enjoy something. Too old to use a pacifier... yes. Too old for fiction... NO! I will be a fan of Harry Potter for all my life, and will read my children the stories as emphatically as I read them.

I'm 24, and I am PROUD to be a HP fanatic!

"You're a fool, Harry Potter, and you will lose everything..." Lord Voldemort

PROUD SLYTHERIN
Old November 7th, 2010, 10:42 am
Second Year

Well, the Harry Potter series is what got me into reading when I was seven. I'm now 16, and I will never be too old for it. I feel that it is truely the one series that ages with me.

In all serious-ness, when I have kids someday, I'm going to have them read it, or I'll read it to them, or both.

I WANT SKITTLES! YOU KNOW WHO CAN'T HAVE SKITTLES?!? TONKS, BECAUSE SHE'S DEAD!!!

Where dwell the brave at heart their daring nerve and chivalry set the Gryffindor's apart

"Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and above all, those who live without love. By returning you will ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present."

"This is how we'll stand when, when they burn our houses down, this is what we'll be oh glory... Somewhere weakness is our strength, and I'll die searching for it." -Paramore, "Let the Flames Begin"
Old November 7th, 2010, 7:21 pm
First Year

Its funny when you reach over a certain age people assume your too old for things like Harry Potter, I for one do not feel too old for it, I grew up with Harry Potter like many people.
My ten year old cousin told me off the other day for booking my tickets for Deathly Hollows telling me I was too old!!!
There should be no age limit, I will read/watch Harry Potter till I'm long gone!!!!

Old November 7th, 2010, 8:51 pm
Second Year

[
Quote:
I don't care if anyone tells me I'm too old for HP anymore, I love HP and nothing anyone say or do can change me.

[/

Hi Dobby Yoda I do love your avatar... You are young! I have a son 36, I am 66 and crazy about Harry Potter books... I've been around the Harry Potter sites for quite awhile, and I feel very comfortable about it! I'm me and that's OK.... JUst enjoy!!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak