Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.10

Old September 20th, 2011, 4:42 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Pottermore v.10

The first few times you try potions, it's the hardest. At the beginning, I was frequently running out of time, but now I finish quite ahead of the time. It's about learning to pour accurately from bottles:

Spoiler: show
As others have suggested, pick up the bottles by the top of the bottle. This helps them from spilling over while dragging them across the screen. If you have to pour a bottle into the mortar, lean it on the left side of the cauldron and tilt it until it's parallel to the table. I lift it up either after each count or one count before the total I need to reach. I then only tilt it a tiny bit until my last one falls out. For the cauldron, lean the bottle against one of the sides to support it. Same rules apply to accurately get the right number.

Ravenclaw on COS
Slytherin on Pottermore:
Yeah, that's about right!
HawthornAsphodel133
Sponsored Links
Old September 20th, 2011, 5:08 pm
Second Year

When I first entered, around 15th August I think, I made 4 comments. It took 10 days or so for those to be moderated, but they got through. (I didn't see them, sadly!)

I just posted a comment on Mcgonagall's page, and it appeared after 2 minutes or so without the moderation notification. It's the first time I've commented in a couple of weeks.
Is anyone still having problems with their comments being moderated and taking forever?
I'm just wondering if that's only on certain pages now, or whether the moderating word list thingy is getting fuller and they're not having to moderate as many comments as they did in the beginning. (If that makes sense...)

Old September 20th, 2011, 5:14 pm
First Year

Pottermore Insider has update that the site will be down today at around 2am Eastern, I wonder if that ended already. It is not down for me now.

UPDATED ON TUESDAY 20 SEPTEMBER

Pottermore will be unavailable for several hours this morning from approximately 7.00am (BST). This downtime is necessary to complete technical work that was begun towards the end of last week.

Once finished, we expect the sending of Welcome emails to resume at the normal rate.

We'll let you know here and on Twitter once the site is back up.
Posted by Pottermore Editor at 18:30

Wand is 10 inches, Laurel with Unicorn Hair, hard
Magic Quill first day; welcome letter Aug. 25

Last edited by UnicornDust; September 20th, 2011 at 5:28 pm.
Old September 20th, 2011, 5:19 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornDust View Post
Pottermore Insider has update that the site will be down today starting at around noon Eastern time. It hasn't gone down for me yet, though. Maybe I'll be able to finish the potion I started before I saw that message.

UPDATED ON TUESDAY 20 SEPTEMBER

Pottermore will be unavailable for several hours this morning from approximately 7.00am (BST). This downtime is necessary to complete technical work that was begun towards the end of last week.

Once finished, we expect the sending of Welcome emails to resume at the normal rate.

We'll let you know here and on Twitter once the site is back up.
Posted by Pottermore Editor at 18:30

7am BST was 10 hours ago.
It has probably already been down... It was up and running when I first went on it today, a couple of hours ago.

Old September 20th, 2011, 5:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
7am BST was 10 hours ago.
It has probably already been down... It was up and running when I first went on it today, a couple of hours ago.
Yes, I did the math the wrong way in my original post. I figured it out and edited it. Thanks.

Old September 20th, 2011, 7:14 pm
Third Year

Well, guess what guys, it seems to be down again! And I've got a potion brewing! Does this mean my potion will be x'd?!

Edit: Ugh, never mind, I just tried going on again and now it's up and running. It seems to be flip-flopping for me.

ThestralQuill
11 1/2" Sycamore and Unicorn hair, surprisingly swishy

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more,
that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds."

Last edited by LumosSempra; September 20th, 2011 at 7:17 pm.
Old September 20th, 2011, 7:55 pm
Fourth Year

Regarding potions:

On Saturday, I seemed to put myself in a Phase 1 loop. In this type of loop, you progress through the first page of the recipe just fine, but when you click "Come back later," it returns you to your cauldrons page with nothing brewing. (This is different from the Phase 2 loop, in which it returns you to your cauldrons page with your potion brewing, but already at 100 percent; when you click on "This potion requires your attention," it returns you to the beginning of the first page.)

I seemed to have entered this loop by blowing up my cauldron. (I had slipped on a button and failed to keep my temperature within the viable range; in my impatience to start the recipe again, I hastily waved my wand and melted down.) On the other hand, lots of people appeared to have started experiencing this problem at around the same time, so it may not have been related. I don't recall, but it might have been my first potion of the day (Saturday, about 10:00 PDT).

What I did just now was, I opened the potions book, and clicked on the Brew button for Wideye. This takes you to your cauldron selection page. Then I right-clicked on the Potions pendant at the top of the page, and opened it in a new tab. In the new tab, I clicked again on the Brew button for Wideye. Then I successively selected my copper cauldron on both tabs, then I successively indicated my approval for consumption of the ingredients on both tabs. Now both pages showed the recipe.

The hourglass doesn't run until you click to put away the book, so I started the recipe on one tab. I know this recipe like the back of my hand by now, so I finished it with plenty of time to spare, save waving the wand. Then I brought the book back up to stop the hourglass (or so I thought). I had a notion that the potions attempt (#3674xxx, where the xxx is three more digits that I'm not going to disclose, in case someone reads it and tries to screw me up) had a corrupted state--that the melted cauldron had somehow caused progress toward recipe completion to be decremented twice, so that instead of starting at stage 0 (say), it was now starting at stage -1, and therefore could never get off the ground. (Maybe there was code that said if you finished the first page at stage 0, that would indicate failure and you would return to the original state, which is supposed to be 0, but was now -1. I don't know, I realize this is crazy, but I was curious enough to try any of a number of things.) I thought that perhaps by completing the first page twice, I could get it out of this corrupted state and restore normal operations.

I now went to the second tab and completed the first page again, then put the recipe book up. When I returned to the first tab, I discovered that the hourglass had run out anyway, and I was consoled for not completing the potion in time. So I clicked the "Try again" button, got the cauldrons page (no potions brewing), and closed that tab. Now the second tab was open, I waved the wand, and got (as usual) the Potion is Brewing page. This time, when I clicked "Come back later," I got the cauldrons page, with my potion brewing, at 0 percent, which is what we want. It is now at 14 percent, as I write, but that doesn't mean anything, I suspect; it's probably just using the local time, divided by the 95-minute brewing time.

So unfortunately, I have no idea which of my measures might have had what effect, and I don't know what will happen when the progress bar reaches 100 percent, but it seems that I've at least exited the Phase 1 loop. I'll come back and QUOTE this in a follow-up report.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; September 20th, 2011 at 7:57 pm.
Old September 20th, 2011, 8:04 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Regarding potions:

On Saturday, I seemed to put myself in a Phase 1 loop. In this type of loop, you progress through the first page of the recipe just fine, but when you click "Come back later," it returns you to your cauldrons page with nothing brewing. (This is different from the Phase 2 loop, in which it returns you to your cauldrons page with your potion brewing, but already at 100 percent; when you click on "This potion requires your attention," it returns you to the beginning of the first page.)

I seemed to have entered this loop by blowing up my cauldron. (I had slipped on a button and failed to keep my temperature within the viable range; in my impatience to start the recipe again, I hastily waved my wand and melted down.) On the other hand, lots of people appeared to have started experiencing this problem at around the same time, so it may not have been related. I don't recall, but it might have been my first potion of the day (Saturday, about 10:00 PDT).

What I did just now was, I opened the potions book, and clicked on the Brew button for Wideye. This takes you to your cauldron selection page. Then I right-clicked on the Potions pendant at the top of the page, and opened it in a new tab. In the new tab, I clicked again on the Brew button for Wideye. Then I successively selected my copper cauldron on both tabs, then I successively indicated my approval for consumption of the ingredients on both tabs. Now both pages showed the recipe.

The hourglass doesn't run until you click to put away the book, so I started the recipe on one tab. I know this recipe like the back of my hand by now, so I finished it with plenty of time to spare, save waving the wand. Then I brought the book back up to stop the hourglass (or so I thought). I had a notion that the potions attempt (#3674xxx, where the xxx is three more digits that I'm not going to disclose, in case someone reads it and tries to screw me up) had a corrupted state--that the melted cauldron had somehow caused progress toward recipe completion to be decremented twice, so that instead of starting at stage 0 (say), it was now starting at stage -1, and therefore could never get off the ground. (Maybe there was code that said if you finished the first page at stage 0, that would indicate failure and you would return to the original state, which is supposed to be 0, but was now -1. I don't know, I realize this is crazy, but I was curious enough to try any of a number of things.) I thought that perhaps by completing the first page twice, I could get it out of this corrupted state and restore normal operations.

I now went to the second tab and completed the first page again, then put the recipe book up. When I returned to the first tab, I discovered that the hourglass had run out anyway, and I was consoled for not completing the potion in time. So I clicked the "Try again" button, got the cauldrons page (no potions brewing), and closed that tab. Now the second tab was open, I waved the wand, and got (as usual) the Potion is Brewing page. This time, when I clicked "Come back later," I got the cauldrons page, with my potion brewing, at 0 percent, which is what we want. It is now at 14 percent, as I write, but that doesn't mean anything, I suspect; it's probably just using the local time, divided by the 95-minute brewing time.

So unfortunately, I have no idea which of my measures might have had what effect, and I don't know what will happen when the progress bar reaches 100 percent, but it seems that I've at least exited the Phase 1 loop. I'll come back and QUOTE this in a follow-up report.
Interesting experiment. I'll await the results. The other thing is that they worked on the website this morning, so it is possible they fixed whatever was wrong from Saturday.

By the way, I think you are right that the clock does not run until you close the book the first time, however, as you discovered, it does not stop the clock each time you open the book after that.

I had been hoping that the site work this morning was for spells, but I don't see a change there. Too bad.

Old September 20th, 2011, 8:07 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnicornDust View Post
Interesting experiment. I'll await the results. The other thing is that they worked on the website this morning, so it is possible they fixed whatever was wrong from Saturday.

I had already tried brewing a potion earlier this morning (after the maintenance work, but before this experiment), and had still fallen into the Phase 1 loop, so although the maintenance work may have enabled whatever I did, it wasn't on its own sufficient to do the trick (if indeed a trick was done).

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 20th, 2011, 8:50 pm
First Year

SO. Just sitting here wondering what they're going to do once approximately 600,000 people don't get in before September 30th. The Insider has been sadly devoid of any real info, it's not updated frequently enough, etc. What are the odds we're going to be left sitting on our hands guessing what'll happen next.

Or! A more optimistic approach: Suddenly at zero hour they pull it all out of the hat and BOOM, not only are the remaining beta users in, but the site opens to all on October first, Pottermore Insider reveals how the sorting really works, and every question we have is answered and all our wishes for the site come true, including the ability to see ourselves in the Mirror of Erised, etc.

I tell you this is getting better than a soap opera.

Old September 20th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
Regarding potions:

And an update:

It seems to have worked; I finished the potion, got the points, and I appear to be able to brew further potions. I'm sorry I didn't approach this more systematically to discover exactly which thing I did fixed the problem, but I don't have quite that much spare time (and I'm not doing it again, as it did cost me a 25 Galleon cauldron). Hopefully this is an avenue of experiments to try for others stuck in the Phase 1 loop.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:28 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSparks View Post
SO. Just sitting here wondering what they're going to do once approximately 600,000 people don't get in before September 30th. The Insider has been sadly devoid of any real info, it's not updated frequently enough, etc. What are the odds we're going to be left sitting on our hands guessing what'll happen next.

Or! A more optimistic approach: Suddenly at zero hour they pull it all out of the hat and BOOM, not only are the remaining beta users in, but the site opens to all on October first, Pottermore Insider reveals how the sorting really works, and every question we have is answered and all our wishes for the site come true, including the ability to see ourselves in the Mirror of Erised, etc.

I tell you this is getting better than a soap opera.
I believe they will have to sending out welcome letters to beta testers into October. In other news, potions is so screwed up for me...

So, I was brewing Cure for Boils. Completed the first phase, came back after the specified amount of time. Went and completed the second phase. Everything went smoothly. Got the confirmation page saying..." You have successfully brewed...3 House points...." Then, when I clicked on it to take me back to Potions, I saw I had no cauldron. FTW? I go into my Potion book and it says Cure for Boils is STILL brewing. I go back into it and it takes me to the first page of the instructions. So, I think that maybe it didn't go through and decide to give it another go. I repeat the steps to complete the first phase. All is well and it tells me to come back and check later. I click to go back to Potions, and it says that it's at 100%. What? So, I go in to check on it and again it shows the first page of instructions (if it were at 100% then it would show the second page of instructions). Now I'm really confused. So, I go through the steps to brew the first phase again and after completing it and going back to the Potions page this time it says 1% (so the whole thing just started over). I can't believe how weird this is. I've been having problems with potions the last few days. I don't want to lose my cauldron!

Old September 20th, 2011, 11:19 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioDragon102 View Post
I believe they will have to sending out welcome letters to beta testers into October. In other news, potions is so screwed up for me...

So, I was brewing Cure for Boils. Completed the first phase, came back after the specified amount of time. Went and completed the second phase. Everything went smoothly. Got the confirmation page saying..." You have successfully brewed...3 House points...." Then, when I clicked on it to take me back to Potions, I saw I had no cauldron. FTW? I go into my Potion book and it says Cure for Boils is STILL brewing. I go back into it and it takes me to the first page of the instructions. So, I think that maybe it didn't go through and decide to give it another go. I repeat the steps to complete the first phase. All is well and it tells me to come back and check later. I click to go back to Potions, and it says that it's at 100%. What? So, I go in to check on it and again it shows the first page of instructions (if it were at 100% then it would show the second page of instructions). Now I'm really confused. So, I go through the steps to brew the first phase again and after completing it and going back to the Potions page this time it says 1% (so the whole thing just started over). I can't believe how weird this is. I've been having problems with potions the last few days. I don't want to lose my cauldron!

You may yet be OK. The second part of your description (finish first page, click "come back later," cauldron at 100 percent, click on "requires your attention," repeat first page, click "come back later," cauldron at 0 or 1 percent) is something that's occurred to me several times, and it has always finished for me fine after that.

Now, I've never had the "no cauldron" glitch before, but I've had other things disappear (most notably my Favorites, but also some books and trunk objects). They've always come back.

Let us know if anything changes, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katielouise View Post
When I first entered, around 15th August I think, I made 4 comments. It took 10 days or so for those to be moderated, but they got through. (I didn't see them, sadly!)

I just posted a comment on Mcgonagall's page, and it appeared after 2 minutes or so without the moderation notification. It's the first time I've commented in a couple of weeks.
Is anyone still having problems with their comments being moderated and taking forever?
I'm just wondering if that's only on certain pages now, or whether the moderating word list thingy is getting fuller and they're not having to moderate as many comments as they did in the beginning. (If that makes sense...)
Their whitelist? Hunh. If anything, my most recent moderated comments came back slower than my previous ones. I just had one finish moderation about two weeks after I originally posted it. I mean, why even bother moderating, at that point--just chuck the comment out altogether!

In related news, they've let in a few more drawings, although mine are still undergoing moderation, I guess. (Submitted August 24.)

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 21st, 2011, 2:48 am
Inconceivable!

I'm so depressed. I just blew up my first cauldron and lost house points.

I have a question about heating:

When the thermometer has two lines, are you supposed to keep the temperature between the two lines? Do you keep the thermometer green by turning the temperature on and off?

Question about collecting:
Did anyone else a have problems collecting things? They weren't there the first few times you looked, but later you were able to collect them? I had tried over and over to collect the Bertie Botts beans, but they just laid there. Finally, I tried using my work computer and was able to collect the beans. Does anyone know if they put things in the pictures at different times?

Question about comments:
There are three tabs in the comments section at the end of the chapters. Can you see your own name in the friends tab? Do they list the fact that you lost House points in the Common Room?

The site isn't working right tonight. I keep getting "Sorry, that page is not available right now".

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old September 21st, 2011, 3:15 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post

When the thermometer has two lines, are you supposed to keep the temperature between the two lines? Do you keep the thermometer green by turning the temperature on and off?

Yes, you keep it between the two lines, I keep it on the medium heat until it gets near the top line, then turn the heat off until it is near the bottom line, just keep it between the lines and you should be good.

Old September 21st, 2011, 3:22 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I'm so depressed. I just blew up my first cauldron and lost house points.

Yes to the first part. If it's a long way to the first line, I'll use the button on the right to hurry up and get between the two lines, but once there, I alternate between the middle and left buttons. One turns the heat off, while the other slowly raises the temperature.

Quote:
Question about collecting:
Did anyone else a have problems collecting things? They weren't there the first few times you looked, but later you were able to collect them? I had tried over and over to collect the Bertie Botts beans, but they just laid there. Finally, I tried using my work computer and was able to collect the beans. Does anyone know if they put things in the pictures at different times?
I think they're all there. I found everything except maybe two items on my first run through. I had to have help finding one of the frog cards, and I had a rough time finding one book in the library.

Quote:
Question about comments:
There are three tabs in the comments section at the end of the chapters. Can you see your own name in the friends tab? Do they list the fact that you lost House points in the Common Room?
This one I'm not sure of.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old September 21st, 2011, 3:42 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Question about comments:
No, you don't see your own comments in the friends tab, which is a bit annoying, since if someone answers you, you may not remember what you posted.

And yeah, I think there is a post to the effect of "SadiraSnape failed to brew Herbicide Potion and lost 5 points from Slytherin." Haven't seen anyone rag another house member over it, though -- everyone explodes a cauldron or 4 sooner or later...

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old September 21st, 2011, 6:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccioDragon102 View Post

I had something similar happen just now:

I began the sleeping draught and when the first phase was finished it ruined and I got a message saying I'd put an ingredient in the wrong container, which wasn't true. I then clicked on the button to start again, only to be told I need to go buy a new cauldron because I don't have any. I have three. So I went to the potions tab to start again only to see the sleeping draught was brewing there, except with the message that the potion needed my attention. When I clicked the button it tried to make me begin the whole thing again from the beginning.

There I quit. There's obviously something very wonky going on right now and to proceed would result in lost time and ingredients. I'm going to try again later today. :-/

Old September 21st, 2011, 10:20 am
First Year

I successfully completed the first phase of the sleeping potion, but when I clicked on it to check the time, it took me back to the first page of the potion book. Now the potions page won't load. I was hoping to brew a potion before work.

Slytherin according to Pottermore

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lq51c5AV4r1qc7nhg.jpg
Old September 21st, 2011, 10:31 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HpGaL04 View Post
I successfully completed the first phase of the sleeping potion, but when I clicked on it to check the time, it took me back to the first page of the potion book. Now the potions page won't load. I was hoping to brew a potion before work.
Lots of really glitchy things occurring right now (5:30 am Eastern Time) including potions not even loading, the Great Hall disappearing (the black "invisibility cloak" page) and then appearing fine but with no points changes, all friends disappearing, and notifications not working.

Wand: 14 1/2 inches, elm, unicorn core, hard

Officially Sorted

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References