Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.10

Old November 12th, 2011, 5:07 pm
Second Year

Re: Pottermore v.10

Here's an interesting data point: at 179 points, I was at position 7,743 in Ravenclaw; with 190, I'm 7,247. Also, the point update doesn't reflect immediately: right after brewing, I checked the Great Hall, and my position had actually fallen a place (7,744.) It was only about half an hour later that I noticed the updated rank. Also, I wonder how Pottermore handles ties: obviously, there are going to be people with exactly the same number of points. Is everyone with 179 points in Ravenclaw given a ranking of 7,743 (as in, you're in a 1000-person tie for this position), or does Pottermore have some sort of ordering for it? I have no idea how you'd find out, short of finding and surveying people of the same House with the same number of points, but I wonder - is there really anyone who goes to the Great Hall and finds that they're dead last, as in position 167,697 out of 167,697?

BronzeDragon111 on Pottermore
BronzeDragon on COS, HPANA, and tumblr
Wand: Elder with dragon heartstring, 13'', hard
Ravenclaw on both COS and Pottermore!
Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2011, 5:14 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
At least one of them is/was just a dedicated brewer.
I'm ranked 85th and have over 2,300 points, all from brewing. I only dueled twice, and leah49 beat me both times.

One thing I've noticed are some of the member's points jumping up very quickly. I believe there are techs working on pottermore in the background, who actually are dueling. They seem to be choosing the Gryffindor accounts. I watched one gain 1,000 points in a 24 hour period.

Kathleen Malfoy, since Ravenclaw and Slytherin are close in total point range, we have much more of an incentive to brew. That being said, I still have more friends in the 50 or less points total than any other category. If it were me, I'd report the potions loop again - Help -> Other -> What's next? -> Need more help? - and if it isn't corrected when Pottermore comes out of Beta, I'd be tempted to get a new account and delete the old one as well. I'm sorry you're stuck in a rut and can't help your house!! If it helps, we're just considered "Beta" and are testers. After all the initial cheating I saw (and most of the holes have since been plugged up) plus techs using accounts, I don't see the group point totals as being truly accurate.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old November 12th, 2011, 5:15 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
Here's an interesting data point: at 179 points, I was at position 7,743 in Ravenclaw; with 190, I'm 7,247. Also, the point update doesn't reflect immediately: right after brewing, I checked the Great Hall, and my position had actually fallen a place (7,744.) It was only about half an hour later that I noticed the updated rank. Also, I wonder how Pottermore handles ties: obviously, there are going to be people with exactly the same number of points. Is everyone with 179 points in Ravenclaw given a ranking of 7,743 (as in, you're in a 1000-person tie for this position), or does Pottermore have some sort of ordering for it? I have no idea how you'd find out, short of finding and surveying people of the same House with the same number of points, but I wonder - is there really anyone who goes to the Great Hall and finds that they're dead last, as in position 167,697 out of 167,697?
They probably don't compute rankings on the fly because it's too I/O-intensive. (The servers are surely more than up to the task of computing the rankings very rapidly, if they have the numbers in local memory.) My guess is that the rankings are defined roughly the way you suggest, but they would not stand up to close scrutiny, in that you couldn't attach very rigorous semantics to them and expect them to be consistent at the same time. What you saw was part of that, I suspect.

Fortunately, identifying the power-law parameters wouldn't depend on the rankings being rigorously determined. A vaguely accurate set of rankings would be good enough.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; November 12th, 2011 at 5:16 pm. Reason: overreliance on the word "probably"
Old November 12th, 2011, 6:15 pm
Second Year

I got sorted into Hufflepuff on Pottermore, too! So did my mom <3.
My wand is Red Oak, unicorn core, 14 1/2 inches or so.. slightly yielding. My brother is sure once he joins that he'll be a Gryffindor, but who knows.

Old November 12th, 2011, 7:38 pm
Third Year

Not all witches and wizards grow up to be excellent potion brewers. I, for one, can't stand brewing potions as I don't have the patience for it. Now arithmancy, charms, astronomy, and defense against the dark arts are interesting! :-)

Genuine, Unique, & Authentic Hand-Crafted Magical Wands, Made in the heart of the Rocky Mountains! With real magical cores! Christian Mills, Master Wandmaker. (Click on the card to visit the wand shoppe!)

PROUD RAVENCLAW

Pottermore Info: Spruce & Unicorn Hair Wand, Ten & Three Quarters Inches, Hard. Ravenclaw, SunElm8... If you want to friend me on Pottermore, send me a PM here first...

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke
Old November 13th, 2011, 1:28 am
First Year

I have not been able to experience Pottermore at all. First, there was early registration that was always closed when I visited the site. Now it says that Pottermore is in Beta and I can't get any more info out of it. When is Pottermore going to be accessible to those of us who couldn't register (or whatever it is we were supposed to do)?

Old November 13th, 2011, 1:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenclawCO99 View Post
I have not been able to experience Pottermore at all. First, there was early registration that was always closed when I visited the site. Now it says that Pottermore is in Beta and I can't get any more info out of it. When is Pottermore going to be accessible to those of us who couldn't register (or whatever it is we were supposed to do)?
Originally it was supposed to be sometime in October; now it looks like they don't have any definite date.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old November 13th, 2011, 2:11 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenclawCO99 View Post
Here's what they wrote on the Pottermore Insider website:

Link

Quote:
Since we launched Pottermore, our one million Beta users have given us lots of amazing feedback, and we’ve been collecting their thoughts and comments so that we can make Pottermore the best experience it can be before it opens to everyone.

After looking closely at all the information that we've gathered, we have decided to further extend the Beta period so we can improve Pottermore before giving more people access. This means the site will not be opening to new users in the immediate future, but please know that we will open registration as soon as we can.

As part of our work to make Pottermore even better, we'll be taking the site down for a few days on Wednesday 2 November. We're going to use this time to make a few technical changes behind-the-scenes.

We've set up a separate page on the Insider so we can give you the latest Beta information and answer some of the more common Beta questions. We'll be updating it as the Beta continues and posting on our Twitter account, too.

So Pottermore will not be opening to new users just yet. For all of you who are waiting to enter Pottermore, we want to thank you for being so patient - we’re working very hard to make some exciting improvements, and we're really looking forward to welcoming you to the site when it’s ready.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old November 13th, 2011, 2:16 am
First Year

So... no firm date as to when Pottermore will be open for registration.

Thanks for the answers!

Old November 13th, 2011, 7:07 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BronzeDragon View Post
Kathleen,

If you delete your account, you'll regret it if dueling comes back up, especially as no one actually knows when the site will open to public registration (and even then it might be weeks or months before the public actually gets in, if they stagger opening like they did with the Beta.) So don't delete!

Also, to give you a perspective: it's not just Hufflepuff where rankings are high with relatively few House points. 4 days ago, I had 44 house points and was still ranked in the top 20% of my House (I'd never tried brewing, and dueling's been down for longer than I've had access.) Now, I've been brewing a bit, and have 179 House points.

With 179 points, I'm at position 7,743 out of 167,688 in Ravenclaw, so it's not just that Hufflepuffs aren't doing anything. It just shows you that most people are there for the new information and not for the House Cup: they might've tried brewing Cure for Boils once, but most people don't care enough or don't have the time to be constantly brewing. Even now, I just started playing around with potions a couple days ago, and I'll probably get burned out on it in a bit - it's a useful distraction for when I'm not feeling well enough to do anything else and know I'll be hanging around the house, but if I'm going out, there's no way to pause a timer, and I generally have other things to be doing if I'm feeling well. Also, it gets frustrating to run into bugs: I had the purchasing bug described above, have dealt with the "you put the lavender in the wrong container!" when I know I didn't, and one time when I went back to do the second step of a potion (it said 100% complete), and instead of taking me to step 2, it took me back to the beginning. If someone's trying that for the first time and it happens to them, that may be the last time they do potions.

But anyway, don't delete your account! (If anything, help me out and send me some Flobberworm Mucus! I exploded a couple cauldrons before I got the hang of things, so my Galleon supply may run a bit low.)

Edit: About people and points, I have 69 friends on Pottermore, and only 4 of them have 1000+ points. If I graphed it (which I'm not going to), there's one person who has 4 points, a lot with 30-50 points (which is about what you'd expect from getting all the objects and maybe doing a potion), and then a handful with more. I don't know if the people with 1000+ points have been dueling at all, or if they're just very dedicated brewers.
Okay I won't delete it but sometimes I just feel so annoyed and upset after all these months of not being able to earn any points that I just want to rage delete it.

Also, yeah I know a lot of people don't have time to make potions since they take hours, or at least they used to, not sure what it's like anymore since my potion has been frozen since it was still on the old system. I haven't had a chance at the new system yet.

When they took hours though you could go off and do something else and then come back to it. So it's not like you actually had to sit at the computer for hours a day.

Anyway that's interesting about Ravenclaw although I do still feel mostly like I'm in the house with the least amount of people who care about earning points....Hufflepuff is way behind after all. I'm not the kind of person who always needs to win/always be first but I can't really tolerate always being last and never winning. So it just frustrates me that I can't earn more points before Hufflepuff falls even further behind and has no chance what so ever of ever getting out of last place.

Besides Hufflepuff has the horrible reputation of always being last and it bothers me that it's coming true on the site. I just want to prove everyone wrong about Hufflepuff but as long as we continue to be last everyone who views the points on Pottermore will continue to believe that we're the house with the least talented people.

Anyway I'm not trying to force people to earn points or anything, it's not like I'd be CONSTANTLY earning points even if I could or something but it certainly is annoying not to be able to earn any for about 3 months now and watching the house I was sorted into fall way way behind the others, giving us more of that horrible reputation people associate with us.

Last edited by Kathleen Malfoy; November 13th, 2011 at 7:09 pm.
Old November 13th, 2011, 8:28 pm
Second Year

As for the new potions system, I never used the old one, but brewing times are still 80-100 minutes (80 = 3 point potion, 85 = 7 point potion, 95 = 9 point potion, 100 = 11 point potion) and you can go away or log out and come back while brewing and the timer will keep running.

BronzeDragon111 on Pottermore
BronzeDragon on COS, HPANA, and tumblr
Wand: Elder with dragon heartstring, 13'', hard
Ravenclaw on both COS and Pottermore!
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:29 am
Second Year

After a long break, today I brewed a potion and it worked well. I never really had any problems with potions. I leave the tab open and go do something else, then come back and finish it. Anyway, nothing really seems to have changed since the beta survey. I do hope they are saving all the changes for the "grand opening" wich I suspect will happen in 2012...

When I opened my account today, though, there were owls about some old old old comments I had made and the ones that got denied were about trending #Hufflepuffpride on twitter (so you have an idea of how old those were!) and one about the "potency of spells" lol I guess the wording was unfortunate, but I wanted to ask if all spells go from 0-100 or if there are spells with over 100 (how should I phrase this?) strength? power? Anyway, I find it laughable that they are even spending time going through over a month old comments, since at this point, no one even cares if they get approved or not.

The comments that do go up the wall, though, seem to have boiled down to "good morning, all", "good night" etc... and people have (at least in my house) started signing their comments with nicknames (not sure what to think of that). So it has become a (rather boring) chat room with no real content, since all the questions have been asked and people are now only brewing out of routine and to climb up the house classification.

Still think Pottermore is genius and the images are great and the new content is brilliant (also the spell movements!!!) But hope they are working hard in making it cooler.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old November 14th, 2011, 2:40 pm
Sixth Year

Are the House banners out of order in the Great hall? I thought it was supposed to go Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, Slytherin; not Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff, Slytherin.

ETA: I just noticed that the emblem on the letter places Gryffindor and Slytherin on the top quarters and Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw on the bottom. That looks odd, and contrary to the order that Harry noted them in the book (unless he started in the top left and read them counter-clockwise. What's the normal way to read a heraldic emblem?)

ETA2: Yay for the internet; I was able to look it up. One should read across the top, and then across the bottom row. Double checked SS/PS:

Quote:
Turning the envelope over, his hand trembling, Harry saw a purple wax seal and a coat of arms; a lion, an eagle, a badger, and a snake surrounding a letter H.
So, Gryffindor and Ravenclaw should be the top row (fire and air)
and Hufflepuff and Slytherin should be the bottom row (earth and water).

So I think they did get the tables in the right order after all, its just me remembering wrong, but they got the coat of arms all messed up. It should go in the same order the tables are set up, actually.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.

Last edited by OldMotherCrow; November 14th, 2011 at 3:21 pm.
Old November 14th, 2011, 4:30 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I'm ranked 85th and have over 2,300 points, all from brewing. I only dueled twice, and leah49 beat me both times.

One thing I've noticed are some of the member's points jumping up very quickly. I believe there are techs working on pottermore in the background, who actually are dueling. They seem to be choosing the Gryffindor accounts. I watched one gain 1,000 points in a 24 hour period.
A few weeks ago, I was a rapid potion brewer and common room visitor. I used to watch and talk on the common room A LOT. Basically, I found out that the members on the Great Hall leaderboard with the highest points, came onto the common room and admitted they were cheating, and were very smug about it.
I wasn't actually there when this happened, but I believe it and I think it's the same for all the other houses (I'm in Slytherin, btw). I don't think there's techs, personally, I just think people are cheating. =|

I haven't brewed a potion in ages. I got over 1000 points, and then I just thought, "what am I doing?" I mean, I was literally spending all day brewing, I was arranging my life around my potions! I don't want to be like that! I was so intent on 'becoming a high-scorer' I just forgot that I actually have a life to live outside Pottermore - I have school, and exams in January ... so I gave it up.
Plus, I was constantly mad at being cheated out of my points ... I can't tell you how many times I went back to the second page of instructions only to be booted back to the first page. Pfft.

Kathleen, your situation sounds horrible and I'm so sorry. It really is so unfair, but I agree with the others in that there's no way you should delete your account! It might get fixed in the future, you never know, and besides you'll be able to access duelling on it anyway when it comes back =)

Old November 15th, 2011, 4:26 am
Inconceivable!

I got into the dreaded potions loop tonight when I was brewing Herbicide. After the first part had finished brewing, I went back to it to do the second part, and got the first page of instructions again instead of the second page. I tried blowing up the cauldron to get out of it, but that didn't work. Logging off, closing the browser and going back in again didn't do anything either. So I decided to do the second part of the potion anyway, even though it gave me the first page of instructions. That worked. My potion failed, but at least I got out of the loop. I hope that doesn't happen again.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 15th, 2011, 5:41 am
First Year

You're all making me jealous...hopefully the site will be open to the 'public' soon enough. I'm curious to find out more about all the characters and everything else that J.K might provide information on.

Old November 15th, 2011, 9:38 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
I haven't brewed a potion in ages. I got over 1000 points, and then I just thought, "what am I doing?" I mean, I was literally spending all day brewing, I was arranging my life around my potions! I don't want to be like that! I was so intent on 'becoming a high-scorer' I just forgot that I actually have a life to live outside Pottermore - I have school, and exams in January ... so I gave it up.
Plus, I was constantly mad at being cheated out of my points ... I can't tell you how many times I went back to the second page of instructions only to be booted back to the first page. Pfft.
I think that's a wise choice. I know many people like to talk about high rankings etc, but who knows what they might do in the future? They might suddenly put everyone back to zero when the Beta is over, so why worry about it so much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries
Kathleen, your situation sounds horrible and I'm so sorry. It really is so unfair, but I agree with the others in that there's no way you should delete your account! It might get fixed in the future, you never know, and besides you'll be able to access duelling on it anyway when it comes back =)
I honestly don't see how they can ignore these Potions problems. They could have it fixed tomorrow, or it might take months for them to rethink the website, but they aren't going to leave it like this because it is just bad public relations for the whole Potter franchise.

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old November 15th, 2011, 2:18 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
A few weeks ago, I was a rapid potion brewer and common room visitor. I used to watch and talk on the common room A LOT. Basically, I found out that the members on the Great Hall leaderboard with the highest points, came onto the common room and admitted they were cheating, and were very smug about it.
I wasn't actually there when this happened, but I believe it and I think it's the same for all the other houses (I'm in Slytherin, btw). I don't think there's techs, personally, I just think people are cheating. =|
You're probably right - they may not be techs.

On the bright side, they really have closed many of the cheating loopholes. Currently, only a very small percentage are cheating, I think. As far as I know, the person needs multiple accounts and time to brew lots of potions on those multiple accounts, or blow up cauldrons. People used to simply duel themselves, or have points added by failing potions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
So I decided to do the second part of the potion anyway, even though it gave me the first page of instructions. That worked. My potion failed, but at least I got out of the loop. I hope that doesn't happen again.
I've not heard of anyone else trying to brew the second part to get out of the potions loop. I'm going to suggest it to a few people and see if this ends the loop for them. You may have found the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I think that's a wise choice. I know many people like to talk about high rankings etc, but who knows what they might do in the future? They might suddenly put everyone back to zero when the Beta is over, so why worry about it so much?
My guess is that all the points will be reset once Beta ends. It wouldn't surprise me if the House Cup isn't even awarded, since we're supposed to be on Pottermore to test the site.

People brew for different reasons, and not all are related to rankings and such.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old November 15th, 2011, 3:32 pm
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryLore View Post
I've not heard of anyone else trying to brew the second part to get out of the potions loop. I'm going to suggest it to a few people and see if this ends the loop for them. You may have found the key.
One of the reasons that I did that was in the very slim hope that I could still earn the points.

Let us know if that solved the potions loop problem for anyone else.

Quote:
My guess is that all the points will be reset once Beta ends. It wouldn't surprise me if the House Cup isn't even awarded, since we're supposed to be on Pottermore to test the site.

People brew for different reasons, and not all are related to rankings and such.
I like to brew Potions, even though Gryffindor stubbornly remains in third place for house points. It gives me something to do when I'm just hanging around a computer, doing nothing or avoiding what I'm supposed to be doing.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson
Old November 15th, 2011, 10:06 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Do you think maybe they're not ignoring the potion problems, but they just don't have a solution? (sad if that's true)

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References