Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.10

Old September 24th, 2011, 3:57 pm
First Year

Re: Pottermore v.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Arrow77 View Post
I'm about to go shopping in Diagon Alley, so I'd like to know this about the cauldrons: I have read about people saying that copper is better than pewter, although it is also more expensive. In what way have you noticed a difference? Do potions brew faster, or are they more likely to be successful? Thanks
If you are like most of us, you will melt a cauldron or two in the beginning, so I would recommend sticking to the cheaper pewter at least to start with.

Old September 24th, 2011, 4:09 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlycherries View Post
Spoiler: show

Anyway, I don't think the time-turner cheat works anymore ... not that i used it No honestly, I only used it once to see if it worked. And it did. But then I tried it again the other day and it didn't work.
Right - if you're on a pc, it no longer works. That's why I'm thinking that, if you turn your pc off, when you come back, the timer is exactly where it was when you turn your pc back on, since the clock is turned off as well.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown
Old September 24th, 2011, 4:37 pm
First Year

My experience with the clock . . .
I usually leave my computer (laptop) while a potion is brewing and it goes to sleep. When I return, the brewing page that says "come back later" then has an incorrect percentage brewed that is lower than it should be based on actual time. However, the potions, cauldron, page shows the correct percentage brewing time. And, when I have waited for the "come back later" page to show 100%, when it loads the screen that shows how many minutes you have before you run out of time, it is back to the true time and I have actually failed due to taking too long to return. So I don't go by the time on the "come back later" page, I always check the cauldron page to see the real amount of time left." This has been my experience for quite some time.

So I would like to know what happened with the computers that were off, was the time actually computed correctly when people moved to stage 2 of brewing, or was based on the lesser time of only when the computer was on?

Wand is 10 inches, Laurel with Unicorn Hair, hard
Magic Quill first day; welcome letter Aug. 25
Old September 24th, 2011, 5:04 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
On another note, just to make people laugh, I was brewing Forgetfulness Potion, and as I was adding Lethe River Water I accidentally right clicked and couldn't get it to go away and my water just zoomed! across the screen spilling it's contents everywhere. Needless to say that potion failed.
Ha ha ha, that is pretty funny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I haven't done much with Spells. I wonder how Wizard Dueling works. That is something I would like to know about before the site opens to the public.

Well, I got in on the first day, so I was able to do quite a bit of dueling before they closed it down. If you practice your spells, you've pretty much experienced the action part of it. The dueling center is basically a rendezvous engine. They list a bunch of people who are looking for a duel (you can of course also sign up to look for a duel yourself). If you click on the "duel" button associated with that user, then you get matched up, assuming you're the first person to select a duel with them; if someone else beat you to the punch, you get sent back to the rendezvous center.

Once you get matched up, you execute a spell just as you do when you practice it. So does the other player. Pottermore compares your scores, and the winner earns five house points (or at least did, before they shut it down--who knows what it'll be when it comes back). Ties earn no points for either side. The spell of choice is Petrificus Totalus. A reasonably well-executed instance of PT gives you 140 points; I've gotten as high as 144 points timing it just right.

Quote:
Another thing about items: you can only collect them once, unless you give them away to a friend. If you give an item away, you can go back and collect it again. And if you collected an item before you were sorted, you can give that item to a friend, then go back and collect it after you are sorted, to earn the House point.

Really?! Very interesting. I mean, I wouldn't do it for the points, as I've been fairly active brewing potions. But now I'm tempted to try it out.

On the other hand, despite what others have said, I'm convinced that I at least got my individual points for objects I gathered prior to being Sorted. They might not have been applied to my house once I got Sorted (it was pretty hard to tell our individual impact on points, even when there were only a thousand or so students per house), but I'm almost certain I did get points for it that first morning. I was on Pottermore an hour or two after they started sending out the first batch--maybe they changed it soon thereafter?

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old September 24th, 2011, 5:20 pm
Second Year

I am really, really disappointed by the House I was just sorted into. I just don't think it suits me at all ...but maybe that's just because the popular image of that house is so negative. I always thought the house I was just sorted into was the house that fit me the least. I can't believe I ended up there! Sorry, just had to let that out...... I am definitely going to open another account and give sorting another try come October...Really unpleasant surprise!

Given the choice, I would have chosen ANY other house BUT this one. Every other Sorting Hat quiz gave me another house...I refuse to believe it!

On Pottermore: Surprisingly,Slytherin
So...Slytherclaw?
Wand: Cypress with Unicorn Core, ten inches, reasonably supple

Last edited by Silver_Arrow77; September 24th, 2011 at 5:25 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 5:33 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I am really, really disappointed by the House I was just sorted into. I just don't think it suits me at all ...but maybe that's just because the popular image of that house is so negative. I always thought the house I was just sorted into was the house that fit me the least. I can't believe I ended up there! Sorry, just had to let that out...... I am definitely going to open another account and give sorting another try come October...Really unpleasant surprise!

Given the choice, I would have chosen ANY other house BUT this one. Every other Sorting Hat quiz gave me another house...I refuse to believe it!
I don't think we're allowed to "express our opinions on our house" in this thread but ... *whispers* Was it Slytherin? Or Hufflepuff? Just because those are the two badly viewed houses.
I was sorted Slytherin, and I consider myself a Slytherpuff. Not every Slytherin is purely mean, power-hungry or selfish. Just because you got put in a house doesn't mean you possess those and only those qualities.
Best thing to do, if you are really unhappy, is to make a new account like you said.
Also, maybe the questions you got in the sorting were a little biased to the house you were sorted into. I mean, like most people would have picked "this answer" which just happens to be, say a "Slytherin" or "Hufflepuff" answer. Whereas you might not actually belong in that house.
OK, I am not making any sense I know, but cheer up. =]

Old September 24th, 2011, 5:40 pm
First Year

Quote:

You might be interested, I wrote an e-mail to Pottermore explaining how many people I'd encountered, including myself, who were unpleasantly surprised at their sorting results and how it negatively affects the experience of the site overall. They wrote back and said to counter this they were considering explaining how both the sorting and house point accumulation works.

I also specifically requested they consider giving us a choice of two houses or let us signify one house we definitely don't want. I don't think they have anything to worry about on that score with house numbers. If my experience is true all around the numbers won't change that much.

I felt the same way you do not long ago. I hope they do explain, if not every detail then some general idea so people will know why they are where they are.

Old September 24th, 2011, 5:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I don't think we're allowed to "express our opinions on our house" in this thread but ... *whispers* Was it Slytherin? Or Hufflepuff? Just because those are the two badly viewed houses.
I was sorted Slytherin, and I consider myself a Slytherpuff. Not every Slytherin is purely mean, power-hungry or selfish. Just because you got put in a house doesn't mean you possess those and only those qualities.
Best thing to do, if you are really unhappy, is to make a new account like you said.
Also, maybe the questions you got in the sorting were a little biased to the house you were sorted into. I mean, like most people would have picked "this answer" which just happens to be, say a "Slytherin" or "Hufflepuff" answer. Whereas you might not actually belong in that house.
OK, I am not making any sense I know, but cheer up. =]
Thanks for the comfort, I see where you're coming from. I am quite an indecisive person, and I found it quite difficult to decide between two options for several of the questions, it could have gone either way. Anyway, it was Slytherin. Oh well, I guess I consider myself a Slytherclaw now, since I got Ravenclaw on every other quiz/questionnaire, and I tried not to take the obvious ones. At least we are fellow Slytherins on Pottermore though. Would you like to add me as a friend there (I understand if you don't, since we don't really know each other, but you seem really nice. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSparks View Post
You might be interested, I wrote an e-mail to Pottermore explaining how many people I'd encountered, including myself, who were unpleasantly surprised at their sorting results and how it negatively affects the experience of the site overall. They wrote back and said to counter this they were considering explaining how both the sorting and house point accumulation works.

I also specifically requested they consider giving us a choice of two houses or let us signify one house we definitely don't want. I don't think they have anything to worry about on that score with house numbers. If my experience is true all around the numbers won't change that much.

I felt the same way you do not long ago. I hope they do explain, if not every detail then some general idea so people will know why they are where they are.
Good idea. I at least want to see how close I was to getting another house, and how my choices led to this Sorting. It would also have been great to at least have SOME say about one house you don't want to be in...although then the numbers for Slytherin and Hufflepuff would probably decrease quite a bit, their popular images are not that positive...

PS: I can see by your signature that we both suffered the same kind of disappointment.

So...Slytherclaw?
Old September 24th, 2011, 5:56 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSparks View Post

Really? That's interesting ... although i'm not sure if I want to know how the Sorting works, that would kind of kill the "magic" of it for me.

I would really like them to offer the chance for the beta testers to retake their sorting. I'm certain i'm not the only one who doesn't want to lose their "August" ( or "July") join dates to make a new account. Anyone who joins in October can retake the sorting as much as they like until they get what house they want, but we only had one shot.

I'm pretty sure they won't do that though. "The Sorting is final" and all that.

Quote:
Thanks for the comfort, I see where you're coming from. I am quite an indecisive person, and I found it quite difficult to decide between two options for several of the questions, it could have gone either way. Anyway, it was Slytherin. Oh well, I guess I consider myself a Slytherclaw now, since I got Ravenclaw on every other quiz/questionnaire, and I tried not to take the obvious ones. At least we are fellow Slytherins on Pottermore though. Would you like to add me as a friend there (I understand if you don't, since we don't really know each other, but you seem really nice. )
The underlined bit, SAME! I am so indecisive it is silly, and I just couldn't choose between two or three options for practically all of the questions. Like you said, it could have gone either way.
Yes I will add you! Thank you lol =] You can add me or I can add you, my name is ----------. Is your Pottermore user the same as your name on here but without the underscore? Just a guess XD

Last edited by owlycherries; September 24th, 2011 at 6:26 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:14 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Really? That's interesting ... although i'm not sure if I want to know how the Sorting works, that would kind of kill the "magic" of it for me.

I would really like them to offer the chance for the beta testers to retake their sorting. I'm certain i'm not the only one who doesn't want to lose their "August" ( or "July") join dates to make a new account. Anyone who joins in October can retake the sorting as much as they like until they get what house they want, but we only had one shot.

I'm pretty sure they won't do that though. "The Sorting is final" and all that.

The underlined bit, SAME! I am so indecisive it is silly, and I just couldn't choose between two or three options for practically all of the questions. Like you said, it could have gone either way.
Yes I will add you! Thank you lol =] You can add me or I can add you, my name is DawnOwl82. Is your Pottermore user the same as your name on here but without the underscore? Just a guess XD
Thanks Actually my username is different, but I wish it were the same, because I just love the way "Silver Arrow" sounds and looks! However, I don't want to write my actual username here, because I've gotten loads of "Password Reset Notification" e-mails, although I never forgot my password or asked to reset it. I suspect someone is trying to hack into my account...and I don't want to make it easier for them in any way. Better safe than sorry.
Anyway, I have sent you an Friend Request on Pottermore...and I'll send you my username by Owl here.

So...Slytherclaw?
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:22 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Thanks Actually my username is different, but I wish it were the same, because I just love the way "Silver Arrow" sounds and looks! However, I don't want to write my actual username here, because I've gotten loads of "Password Reset Notification" e-mails, although I never forgot my password or asked to reset it. I suspect someone is trying to hack into my account...and I don't want to make it easier for them in any way. Better safe than sorry.
Anyway, I have sent you an Friend Request on Pottermore...and I'll send you my username by Owl here.
Oops, maybe I should edit my post. Don't want to get hacked! XD
Just got your owl, and I have accepted you

Here's a question for everyone:
Which do you think is the easiest/best potion to brew?

I constantly do Herbicide now, it may only be 9 points, but I find it much easier and quicker than the rest to do, especially now I have mastered pouring those pesky Lionfish spines.

Last edited by owlycherries; September 24th, 2011 at 6:25 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:38 pm
Fourth Year

Re: Pottermetrics

Note Pottermetrics subthread heading--math-geek post ahead. You have been warned.

Regarding Pottermore house points:

So a while back, I mentioned my revised notion that house points are basically the total of all the individual points in the house, scaled by the percentage of all students that reside in that house. One incidental side effect of this scaling is that (at least in the short term), the relative placement of houses can be affected by things having nothing at all to do with how hard the students are working to earn house points--specifically, how many students are being Sorted into each of the houses.

Here's some evidence to that effect. For the last 45 minutes or so, I've been gathering relative stats for two of the houses: Ravenclaw (my house) and Slytherin, who for a while now have been trading first and second place back and forth. I've been looking at how many more students Ravenclaw has than Slytherin, and at the same time, how many more points (Ravenclaw is currently in first place in the House Cup competition).

09:39, +1012, +24
09:53, +1006, +27
10:00, +1013, +24
10:11, +1024, +20
10:18, +1031, +19
10:27, +1029, +19

Copy and paste into a spreadsheet, if you like. I might, as I gather more data. At any rate, in each row, the first item is the time, the second item is how many more students Ravenclaw has than Slytherin, and the third and last item is how many more points Ravenclaw has than Slytherin.

What I'm looking at is the relationship between the last two columns--they vary inversely. Whenever the second column goes up, the third column goes down, and vice versa. I've been watching that casually for a few weeks, and I don't think it's just a chance relationship.

What's more, though, the magnitudes of the changes also match, roughly speaking. The range of variation in the student margin is 25, which is just about 2.5 hundredths of a percent of the student bodies of the two houses. The range of variation in the point margin is 8, which is about 1.8 hundredths of a percent of the point totals for the two houses. That's pretty close agreement, on top of the inverse correlation between the two columns. The difference between 1.8 and 2.5 could possibly be made up by Ravenclaw being actually better at earning house points. But let me not grind my own axe here.

In the long term, "actual" changes in the points-earning by the house's students will swamp the pattern we're seeing here. That's not too difficult to account for; we could take differentials and probably recover the pattern. I'll be gathering more data in the coming days to see if it pans out.

EDIT: Interestingly, we heard about some users possibly creating accounts to Sort into other houses, in order to melt cauldrons for their "false" house, and boost the ranking for their "true" house. If what we're seeing here is genuine, they may have done the most damage just Sorting into that other house--everything they did after that, melting cauldrons, would be minuscule in comparison!

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat

Last edited by BrianTung; September 24th, 2011 at 6:41 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:40 pm
Second Year

I read earlier that there was extra information about Familiars or something like that, but it wasn't mentioned where. I assumed it would have come up when I bought my pet, but I didn't see anything there. It's possible that I missed it, though, because I was so excited to buy a pet, get a wand and get sorted...Does anyone know if this info come up later...or if I've accidentally missed something? Thanks.

So...Slytherclaw?

Last edited by Silver_Arrow77; September 24th, 2011 at 6:44 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:43 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Thanks. And yeah, that would probably be a good idea, you never know.

PS: I read earlier that there was extra information about Familiars or something like that, but it wasn't mentioned where. I assumed it would have come up when I bought my pet, but I didn't see anything there. It's possible that I missed it, though, because I was so excited to buy a pet, get a wand and get sorted...Do you think I've just accidentally missed something, or does this info come up later? Thanks.

I believe there is only some extra information about toads, which I think you find out when you click on the toad on Platform 9-3/4. Anyone confirm that? It's been a while.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:48 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Oops, maybe I should edit my post. Don't want to get hacked! XD
Just got your owl, and I have accepted you

I constantly do Herbicide now, it may only be 9 points, but I find it much easier and quicker than the rest to do, especially now I have mastered pouring those pesky Lionfish spines.
Thanks. And yeah, I think it would be better not to state your username, you never know what could happen.

Regarding potions...what do you think is the best potion to start with? (I have yet to start brewing potions).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post

I believe there is only some extra information about toads, which I think you find out when you click on the toad on Platform 9-3/4. Anyone confirm that? It's been a while.
Yes, I did read the information about toads there...I just heard there was something else about pet Familiars...but I could be wrong...

So...Slytherclaw?
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:51 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:

I do Wideye, because the per-house-point cost is the least. If one never fails (I'm getting pretty good at it), one can make 18 Wideye potions per Galleon, for 162 points.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat
Old September 24th, 2011, 6:59 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:

I do Wideye, because the per-house-point cost is the least. If one never fails (I'm getting pretty good at it), one can make 18 Wideye potions per Galleon, for 162 points.
I agree. Plus, once you wait and then arrive at the second part, that second part is very easy - add 2 of a very easy ingredient to add, and then stir. Waive the wand. And lots of time to do it in.

ETA

Don't forget - for that particular potion, you can re-collect two of the three ingredients and only have to purchase one of them. Thought I'd add this for those new to Pottermore.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, After all this time?
And I will say, Always.
- source unknown

Last edited by MerryLore; September 24th, 2011 at 7:10 pm.
Old September 24th, 2011, 7:00 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Note Pottermetrics subthread heading--math-geek post ahead. You have been warned.

Regarding Pottermore house points:

So a while back, I mentioned my revised notion that house points are basically the total of all the individual points in the house, scaled by the percentage of all students that reside in that house. One incidental side effect of this scaling is that (at least in the short term), the relative placement of houses can be affected by things having nothing at all to do with how hard the students are working to earn house points--specifically, how many students are being Sorted into each of the houses.

Here's some evidence to that effect. For the last 45 minutes or so, I've been gathering relative stats for two of the houses: Ravenclaw (my house) and Slytherin, who for a while now have been trading first and second place back and forth. I've been looking at how many more students Ravenclaw has than Slytherin, and at the same time, how many more points (Ravenclaw is currently in first place in the House Cup competition).

09:39, +1012, +24
09:53, +1006, +27
10:00, +1013, +24
10:11, +1024, +20
10:18, +1031, +19
10:27, +1029, +19

Copy and paste into a spreadsheet, if you like. I might, as I gather more data. At any rate, in each row, the first item is the time, the second item is how many more students Ravenclaw has than Slytherin, and the third and last item is how many more points Ravenclaw has than Slytherin.

What I'm looking at is the relationship between the last two columns--they vary inversely. Whenever the second column goes up, the third column goes down, and vice versa. I've been watching that casually for a few weeks, and I don't think it's just a chance relationship.

What's more, though, the magnitudes of the changes also match, roughly speaking. The range of variation in the student margin is 25, which is just about 2.5 hundredths of a percent of the student bodies of the two houses. The range of variation in the point margin is 8, which is about 1.8 hundredths of a percent of the point totals for the two houses. That's pretty close agreement, on top of the inverse correlation between the two columns. The difference between 1.8 and 2.5 could possibly be made up by Ravenclaw being actually better at earning house points. But let me not grind my own axe here.

In the long term, "actual" changes in the points-earning by the house's students will swamp the pattern we're seeing here. That's not too difficult to account for; we could take differentials and probably recover the pattern. I'll be gathering more data in the coming days to see if it pans out.

EDIT: Interestingly, we heard about some users possibly creating accounts to Sort into other houses, in order to melt cauldrons for their "false" house, and boost the ranking for their "true" house. If what we're seeing here is genuine, they may have done the most damage just Sorting into that other house--everything they did after that, melting cauldrons, would be minuscule in comparison!
Wow. That is also very interesting. Please gather more data!

Quote:
I read earlier that there was extra information about Familiars or something like that, but it wasn't mentioned where. I assumed it would have come up when I bought my pet, but I didn't see anything there. It's possible that I missed it, though, because I was so excited to buy a pet, get a wand and get sorted...Does anyone know if this info come up later...or if I've accidentally missed something? Thanks.
I honestly can't remember if there was. I have only looked back through the chapters once since I first did it, as they are so slow and glitchy for me

I think the best potion to start with is Cure for Boils of course! XD Even though it is only worth a measly 3 points.

Old September 24th, 2011, 7:06 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I honestly can't remember if there was. I have only looked back through the chapters once since I first did it, as they are so slow and glitchy for me

I think the best potion to start with is Cure for Boils of course! XD Even though it is only worth a measly 3 points.
Thanks for looking back for me! I hope things will run more smoothly for you soon, it must be really awful for them not to! Fortunately they are for me, although I am using an old computer that is slow at other things...

Thanks for the potions tip as well. I am looking forward to potion-making, but I am a bit nervous about it as well, because so many people are reporting glitches and loops. I hope Pottermore solves those problems soon!

So...Slytherclaw?
Old September 24th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by moony_aiuola View Post
But, I LOVE my username (I'm DustSky), and don't know how to act...
Just a heads up, because I think the mods will get to this eventually: What you're suggesting is against the terms and conditions of Pottermore. As a result, discussion of it is not permitted on CoS.

ChaserQuaffle211
Russian blue cat

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References