Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old June 7th, 2012, 9:45 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Broom transport came before flying carpets?

Sponsored Links
Old June 7th, 2012, 9:59 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Broom transport came before flying carpets?
Flying carpets are not a mode of transport in the West.
(I specifically said the magic broom appears to be the first mode of magical transport "in the West" - by which I meant Europe and its cultural descendents).

However, back to my question... I would still like to know about the history of portkeys. Is there one? Does anybody know who invented them or when they were invented?

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; June 7th, 2012 at 10:33 pm. Reason: Re-organized, re-formatted to make more readable
Old June 8th, 2012, 4:10 am
First Year

I don't know where to put this, b/c I can't find a thread that it seems to fit in, but I don't want to start a new thread for one question.mI know this is a speculation question.

If Snape had gotten married to Lily do you think he would have wanted kids?

Old June 8th, 2012, 4:23 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufflePuff137 View Post
I don't know where to put this, b/c I can't find a thread that it seems to fit in, but I don't want to start a new thread for one question.mI know this is a speculation question.

If Snape had gotten married to Lily do you think he would have wanted kids?
I would suggest this be asked in the "General 'What If...?" Thread".

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old June 9th, 2012, 9:08 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Maybe Pottermore will mention portkeys in the GOF book section. This another little question that can't be answered yet.

Old June 15th, 2012, 12:58 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
However, back to my question... I would still like to know about the history of portkeys. Is there one? Does anybody know who invented them or when they were invented?
The earliest record of Portkeys that I have found comes from Pottermore:
Spoiler: show
Pottermore, Hogwarts ExpressIn spite of the accidents attendant on these various modes of magical transport, not to mention the annual Muggle sightings of vast numbers of airborne wizards travelling northwards, it remained the responsibility of parents to convey their children to school, right up until the imposition of the International Statute of Secrecy in 1692. At this point, it became a matter of urgency to find some more discreet method of transporting hundreds of wizarding children from all over Britain to their secret school in the Highlands of Scotland.

Portkeys were therefore arranged at collecting points all over Britain. The logistics caused problems from the start. Up to a third of students would fail to arrive every year, having missed their time slot, or been unable to find the unobtrusive enchanted object that would transport them to their school. There was also the unfortunate fact that many children were (and are) 'Portkey-sick', and the hospital wing was frequently full to bursting for the first few days of every year, while susceptible students overcame their hysterics and nausea.

While admitting that Portkeys were not an ideal solution to the problem of school transportation, the Ministry of Magic failed to find an acceptable alternative.

Thus, we know that in 1692 Portkeys were used en masse and, furthermore, were apparently regulated by the Ministry of Magic at that time. To me, this date suggests a much earlier invention date, since it seems unlikely that a new method of transportation would be used for mass transport to Hogwarts by the Ministry. But how much earlier than 1692 is certainly debatable. But that seems to me the only hard date we can associate with Portkey history.

As for who invented it, I think that is also unknown as of yet. It seems to me information that may have cropped up in either video game or JKR's Famous Witch and Wizard cards, but I see no mention of Portkeys in those. I think merrymarge may be right in saying this could be information that could crop up on Pottermore.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 15th, 2012, 3:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Did Tom Riddle ask Slughorn if you could split your soul into 7 pieces, or if you could make 7 horcruxes?

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old June 15th, 2012, 3:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Did Tom Riddle ask Slughorn if you could split your soul into 7 pieces, or if you could make 7 horcruxes?
It isn't specified. He just says "isn't seven......" then is cut off by Slughorn.

Dumbledore has to guess at his meaning.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old June 15th, 2012, 4:25 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
It isn't specified. He just says "isn't seven......" then is cut off by Slughorn.

Dumbledore has to guess at his meaning.
Seven pieces of his soul because he made 6 horcruxes (not including Harry's accidental horcrux)?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 15th, 2012, 4:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Seven pieces of his soul because he made 6 horcruxes (not including Harry's accidental horcrux)?
Well, yeah, but the question was regarding what Tom was asking Slughorn.

Joseph Joubert

Old June 15th, 2012, 5:21 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Thanks, merrymarge and willfitz for your answers. Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Anyway, it's pretty much what I thought, but I did want to see if anyone had better information than I did. And yes, maybe Pottermore will give us further information about Wizarding transport.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old June 15th, 2012, 5:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Well, yeah, but the question was regarding what Tom was asking Slughorn.
I know, that was my answer to the question -- he was asking about 7 pieces of soul.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old June 15th, 2012, 1:38 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
I know, that was my answer to the question -- he was asking about 7 pieces of soul.
Oh, that makes sense. I always wondered why he didn't make a 7th horcrux after his body returned (Nagini was his 6th intentional one, right?). It's because he wanted 7 pieces, not 7 horcruxes. Thanks!

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year

Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
Old June 16th, 2012, 4:30 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I had to re-read your statement because I, too, thought Voldemort wanted to make 7 horcruxes, but that wouldn't work. The seventh piece of his soul was the original left inside Voldemort. But, Slughorn was right, splitting your soul involves murder and splitting your soul so many times is shocking.

Old June 16th, 2012, 5:15 am
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Although I think this question has been mostly resolved, I will add just a little bit. As I read it, it seems to me that Slughorn interpreted Tom Riddle's question as splitting the soul into seven pieces - that is, 6 Horcruxes and 1 residual soul piece:
HBP, Horcruxes“Yes, sir,” said Riddle. “What I don’t understand, though — just out of curiosity — I mean, would one Horcrux be much use? Can you only split your soul once? Wouldn’t it be better, make you stronger, to have your soul in more pieces, I mean, for instance, isn’t seven the most powerfully magical number, wouldn’t seven —?”

“Merlin’s beard, Tom!” yelped Slughorn. “Seven! Isn’t it bad enough to think of killing one person? And in any case… bad enough to divide the soul… but to rip it into seven pieces…”

So Slughorn says "rip it [the soul] into seven pieces," which implies that he saw Tom's suggestion as one of having a seven-part soul. Slughorn, just like Dumbledore, would likely understand this as 6 Horcruxes and 1 bodied soul (and this is, indeed, how Dumbledore interpreted it as well). Given Voldemort's later actions, creating 6 intentional Horcruxes, I think we can be fairly certain that Tom Riddle was asking Slughorn about splitting the soul into seven pieces rather than creating 7 Horcruxes.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 17th, 2012, 10:59 am
First Year

Re: The Elder Wand v.2

I'm just wonderng. when Voldemort tried to kill baby harry, the curse bounces back right? what happened to the wand? who hid his wand? and how did he got his wand back?

Old June 17th, 2012, 11:33 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverMidnight View Post
I'm just wonderng. when Voldemort tried to kill baby harry, the curse bounces back right? what happened to the wand? who hid his wand? and how did he got his wand back?
JKR answered this question in the Bloomsbury Web Chat.

Bloomsbury Web Chat 2007
Christiana: How did voldemort get his wand back after he was in was exile

J.K. Rowling: Wormtail, desperate to curry favour, salvaged it from the place it had fallen and carried it to him. I admit that would have been a bit of a feat for a rat, but they are highly intelligent creatures!

You can find the transcript here:

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/20...hat-transcript

Old June 18th, 2012, 4:30 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Bloomsbury Web Chat 2007
Christiana: How did voldemort get his wand back after he was in was exile

J.K. Rowling: Wormtail, desperate to curry favour, salvaged it from the place it had fallen and carried it to him. I admit that would have been a bit of a feat for a rat, but they are highly intelligent creatures!

So all those years Voldemort's wand was, like, hidden behind the headboard of Percy's bed?

Old June 18th, 2012, 4:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Even more un-nerving, the thought that Ron had had the wand in his bed!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old June 18th, 2012, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post

So all those years Voldemort's wand was, like, hidden behind the headboard of Percy's bed?
Not necessarily. He could easily have found a hiding place for it elsewhere. He didn't have a wand when he escaped from Sirius and Lupin, it would appear, and it seems unlikely that he managed to break into the Burrow prior to finding Voldemort.

Joseph Joubert

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References