Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20

Old March 27th, 2012, 4:01 pm
Seventh Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I've always been inclined to agree with Fleur in GoF that the Hogwarts diet was very stodgy. We never get a mention of salad - it's mostly pies, chicken legs, sausages or stew. I wonder if that's meant to be a throwback to the old boarding school novels that were popular when I was young (a million years ago!)? They always seemed to eat stodge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
My guess is that salad isn't the first thing that comes to mind when one is thinking of comfort food. A lot of times there is talk of cold, wet, stormy weather, and then there is the food in contrast. Salad just don't warm me up! And yes, maybe it's a throwback.
We're also talking about a book written from the POV of a teenage boy who is probably the single least likely person on the planet to want to eat a salad. I get the impression salads were something that didn't exist in the Dursley household; Vernon refers to Dudley's diet food as "rabbit food" so it's very likely salads weren't on the regular menu rotation. Harry says that at the Dursleys he was never exactly starved but he could never eat as much as he wanted so when he gets to Hogwarts I think it's believable that A) he would go for the food he was familiar and comfortable with, B) he would eat the foods he likes the best which are the ones Petunia fed him which are also likely to not be all that healthy (exhibit A: Vernon, exhibit B: Dudley) and C) none of what he considers comfort food would include a salad since Harry had probably never even eaten a salad before.

Old March 27th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I was thinking that stodgy food was probably cheaper to produce in quantity and suddenly wondered - who pays for Hogwarts? Not the parents it seems or Vernon definitely wouldn't have let Harry go. Does the Ministry pay for everything - the teachers' salaries, the food, the maintenance, the equipment apart from the stuff the students bring with them etc? And if so, where does the Ministry get the money from? Do wizards pay taxes to the Ministry? Money and food can't be created from nothing (they are exceptions to Gamp's Law of elemantal transfiguration).

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old March 27th, 2012, 11:26 pm
Second Year

Does anyone know what Lucius Malfoy's occupation was? Other than being a Death Eater, that is.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
Does anyone know what Lucius Malfoy's occupation was? Other than being a Death Eater, that is.
He didn't appear to have an occupation . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old March 28th, 2012, 5:58 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
According to Harry Potter wiki, Lucius had some kind of job at the Ministry of Magic, though it didn't not specify what department he worked in. He was also one of the twelve Governors of Hogwarts, but I have no idea if that is a paid position.

See http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Lucius_Malfoy for further information.

Old March 28th, 2012, 6:15 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I thought Lucius didn't work. He was one of the wealthy families- they had a house-elf for years and a mansion with Albino Peacocks. Plus, he was able to give bags of money to the Ministry. There was speculation, purely guess work that Lucius owned the Riddle home for tax purposes. However, this was never confirmed nor denied.

Old March 28th, 2012, 6:44 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
According to Harry Potter wiki, Lucius had some kind of job at the Ministry of Magic, though it didn't not specify what department he worked in. He was also one of the twelve Governors of Hogwarts, but I have no idea if that is a paid position.

See http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Lucius_Malfoy for further information.
Since I have no idea who wrote the wiki article, I'm reluctant to accept it as a reliable source for canon. It's been wrong before. (IMO The Harry Potter Lexicon is much better; before the copyright kerfuffle JKR thought so too!) There's certainly nothing in the books about Lucius having a job anywhere that I can remember.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old March 28th, 2012, 7:15 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Since I have no idea who wrote the wiki article, I'm reluctant to accept it as a reliable source for canon. It's been wrong before. (IMO The Harry Potter Lexicon is much better; before the copyright kerfuffle JKR thought so too!) There's certainly nothing in the books about Lucius having a job anywhere that I can remember.
The books certainly mention him being on the Hogwarts Board of Governors. More than once. This may well be the job the wiki was referring too. It just didn't state that it was a paid position. We can probably assume it was.

As far as reliable sources go, I guess it's lucky that most wiki articles are complete with cites and notations. You just have to take the time to check them.

Old March 28th, 2012, 7:44 am
First Year

My impression was that he didn't have a paid job since he didn't need one
I assumed any business he had at the Ministry was 'donating' money and just snooping around.

Old March 28th, 2012, 9:37 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcus View Post
The books certainly mention him being on the Hogwarts Board of Governors. More than once. This may well be the job the wiki was referring too. It just didn't state that it was a paid position. We can probably assume it was.

As far as reliable sources go, I guess it's lucky that most wiki articles are complete with cites and notations. You just have to take the time to check them.
I'm not disputing Malfoy's position on the School Board, that's obviously canon; only that he doesn't work for a living.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:07 pm
The Potions Master

I have found most of the wiki references pretty much useless. So many times it's just the book that is referenced. Not very helpful.

Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Old March 28th, 2012, 4:53 pm
Sixth Year

I'm inclined to disagree with the wiki. I think Lucius is above working like a mere bourgeoisie. Working for money would be beneath his family status. No, what he is, is a patron (say the italicized words in a snobby voice). I'm sure if there had been royalty in the wizarding world, Lucius would be an Earl of something. It would be his obligation to grant bequests. Had Voldemort come into power, no doubt Lucius expected to be rewarded somehow. Possibly some kind of dark wizard peerage. Lucius was powerful in his own right and expected to become much more powerful with the success of Voldemort. He had his money on that for certain.

Old March 28th, 2012, 5:03 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
I think Lucius is above working like a mere bourgeoisie. Working for money would be beneath his family status. No, what he is, is a patron (say the italicized words in a snobby voice). I'm sure if there had been royalty in the wizarding world, Lucius would be an Earl of something. It would be his obligation to grant bequests. Had Voldemort come into power, no doubt Lucius expected to be rewarded somehow. Possibly some kind of dark wizard peerage. Lucius was powerful in his own right and expected to become much more powerful with the success of Voldemort. He had his money on that for certain.
Love the snootiness of the italicized words.

I personally do feel that Lucius didn't work for a living, he simply used his family name and money to pave his connections with the high profile offices in the Ministry. What bothers me, however, is: Doesn't the money run out? Considering the lavish lifestyle adapted by the Malfoys and, from the looks of Malfoy Manor, by previous generations of Malfoys, I would expect their money to have run out by now. There doesn't seem to be any interest system in wizard banking so there's no way their money is growing in that way. How long can a fixed amount of heirlooms and money last? Beats me.

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
Old March 28th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Sixth Year

Not really if Lucius was a billionaire. He'd have plenty of money for lobbying. Even if being a board member for the school was a salaried position, I don't think he'd make enough to sustain his lifestyle. He seems to be the kind of guy who's on the board for a bunch of different companies and makes money through shrewd investments.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

It may just be that the Malfoys are so rich that they can live off the interest of their cash. I assume Gringotts does pay interest? Actually I don't think we've ever heard that mentioned. Lucius could be a landlord and get money from his tenants. What do you call those landlords who own slum tenements? The word's gone! I can imagine him being one of those anyway. Possibly even renting to Muggles on the sly!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old March 29th, 2012, 1:10 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
He seems to be the kind of guy who's on the board for a bunch of different companies and makes money through shrewd investments.
There didn't seem to be companies large enough to have a board of directors in the wizarding world. But if you're simply speaking of Lucius's Muggle equivalent, then yeah, he seems like that type of guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
It may just be that the Malfoys are so rich that they can live off the interest of their cash. I assume Gringotts does pay interest? Actually I don't think we've ever heard that mentioned.
As stated in my last post, I was wondering the same thing. I somehow don't think so. But since it's never mentioned, I can't be sure. If there is an interest system, though, the Weasley's should've been smarter and stored some of the lottery money from PoA in their vault instead of spending it all on the trip to Egypt.

Quote:
Possibly even renting to Muggles on the sly!
I'd love to see Bellatrix's reaction to THAT!

Old March 29th, 2012, 1:37 am
Third Year

I got a few questions for you guys.

1. what year did fred and george acquire the Marauders Map

2. Before they gave it to Harry, they no doubt looked over it. Wouldn't they have seen their brother, Ron, sleeping in the same bed with a man named Peter. Wouldnt they have noticed and like called him out on it?

Or are they just such great siblings. thats my thought lol their the best

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old March 29th, 2012, 2:07 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
1. what year did fred and george acquire the Marauders Map
They acquired it in their first year.

Quote:
2. Before they gave it to Harry, they no doubt looked over it. Wouldn't they have seen their brother, Ron, sleeping in the same bed with a man named Peter. Wouldnt they have noticed and like called him out on it?
I always wondered about that too but I've found a way to explain it to myself. I don't think that everyone's dot is always present on the map because, honestly, I don't see how it would all fit on one parchment and still be legible. Can you imagine Harry's, Ron's, Dean's, Seamus's, Neville's and Peter's full names all squeezed into one tiny box that represents a single boy's dormitory in one tower of the castle? Therefore, I am inclined to think that some important dots like DD's and Filch's were always present (cuz one purpose of the map was to see if anyone who could dole out punishments was in the way) but everyone else's names just appeared when you thought of them. The following excerpt sort of supports that theory.
The Marauder's Map, PoAWhat did he have to do? He pulled out the map again and saw to his astonishment, that a new ink figure had appeared upon it, labeled Harry Potter. This figure was standing exactly where the real Harry was standing, about halfway down the third-floor corridor.

Last edited by StarryVeil; March 29th, 2012 at 2:12 am.
Old March 29th, 2012, 4:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

the question about why the twins didn't see Peter was answered. I thought it was because the twins were only interested in looking for teachers and filch, because they were bent on mischief.

Old March 29th, 2012, 4:15 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

I think you guys hit the nail on the head. The map certainly can't hold everything on it at once, and even if it could, Peter Pettigrew sitting across the dormitory from Ron would look the same as Peter Pettigrew curled up in bed with Ron, given how squished that dormitory would be on the scale of the map.

Regarding Lucius, it seems that he does have some degree of association with the dark goods trade, if we read into his familiarity with Borgin (Burke?).

Discussion of his possible occupations does lead into the interesting topic of what sort of wizard economics exist, in terms of investments and the like. Perhaps worthy of a thread?

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References