Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old August 19th, 2011, 9:25 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

So what stag-like qualities did James have? I don't know much about them apart from the fact that they run away from cars and have big fights with their antlers in the rutting season!

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Sponsored Links
Old August 19th, 2011, 10:46 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolen View Post
Exactly, that's the problem. Peter isn't like a rat, but somehow he acquired a rat form. I'll just put it down to magic
Right, but also it might have been JKR's misunderstanding of rats . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:29 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
So what stag-like qualities did James have? I don't know much about them apart from the fact that they run away from cars and have big fights with their antlers in the rutting season!
Well, stags are big, proud, noble animals. James stood up for what he believed in, but also had a big ego, IMO that fits stags' "personality". As for fights during rutting season, I think his taunting of Snape could be considered as fighting other male to earn interest of a female.

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:12 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Yes, but where did that assessment of his personality come from, aside from JKR?

I think the choice of animal had to come from a human, since a real rat wouldn't have human personality traits.
Well, I don't really see how this would be possible, unless you are suggesting that some third party exists which assigns animagus forms for a nominal fee (and will keep quiet about it for an extra nominal fee )!

No, I don't think that JKR is the first person to assign certain stereotypical personal profiles to animals. We've all heard the expression about being wise as an owl, cunning as a fox, brave as a lion etc. It's nothing new, as far as I'm concerned.

I think that there is some confusion here in that Peter did not inhabit a rat's body which had the same personality as him, but rather his external appearance changed to symbolically represent his inner 'appearance.'

Quote:
Yes, but where did that assessment of his personality come from, aside from JKR?
My personal feeling is that 'magic' resembles an interactive force of sorts. It makes the assessment, not any character. Otherwise I'm sure that someone would choose to become a Hungarian Horntail and try to take over the world.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:27 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I think that there is some confusion here in that Peter did not inhabit a rat's body which had the same personality as him, but rather his external appearance changed to symbolically represent his inner 'appearance.'

JKR doesn't exist inside the Harry Potter world, so although the real explanation is that she decided he would turn into a rat, there should be a magical reason in the story to explain it, other than "because".

I think the symbolism had to come from Peter's own mind, even if he didn't consciously choose which animal to be. If so, it would mean deep down he saw himself as small, weak, unloveable, etc.

That would fit with James being a stag and Sirius being a dog, as they had a better self-image.

Old August 20th, 2011, 12:38 am

Quote:
JKR doesn't exist inside the Harry Potter world, so although the real explanation is that she decided he would turn into a rat, there should be a magical reason in the story to explain it, other than "because".
Perhaps there should... but in this case, Peter was introduced into a setting way after the matter, and thus there wasn't much of an opportunity to showcase it. What we have are the facts given to us by JKR- that the person doesn't have a clue what they are going to change into unless they are excellent at honest self-assessment, and that it reflects their personality. In essence, because of these facts, I feel that we should be taking hints about Peter's personality from his animagus form, not suggesting that JKR was wrong based on an extremely limited view of Peter's personality as a boy.

Quote:
I think the symbolism had to come from Peter's own mind, even if he didn't consciously choose which animal to be. If so, it would mean deep down he saw himself as small, weak, unloveable, etc.
I agree that it came from his own mind... where his personality is kept. If he saw himself as small, weak, unloveable etc. then that does certainly affect his personality, and what he would become as an animagus. It's like the Sorting Hat all over again!

Quote:
That would fit with James being a stag and Sirius being a dog, as they had a better self-image.
Does it, though? Knowing James' personality, I don't think I'd see him choosing to be an animal which is nowhere near the top of the food chain. A dog, I can understand, but I'm sure that James would want something a little more fierce.

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 20th, 2011, 12:59 am
Third Year

Quote:
I feel that we should be taking hints about Peter's personality from his animagus form, not suggesting that JKR was wrong based on an extremely limited view of Peter's personality as a boy.
I'm not suggesting JKR was wrong, I think a rat was the perfect animal for Peter.

If we knew how an animagus form was determined, we'd know whether we could draw conclusions about an animagus' self image from their animal form. If it was random, or magic, or based on other character's opinions, it wouldn't be significant for character analysis.

Quote:
Does it, though? Knowing James' personality, I don't think I'd see him choosing to be an animal which is nowhere near the top of the food chain. A dog, I can understand, but I'm sure that James would want something a little more fierce.
He couldn't choose it consciously though. If the choice came from his subconscious mind it would reflect how he really saw himself, not what he would have liked to be.

That would be quite interesting, as he turned into an animal that is hunted, rather than a predator. It's still a big animal, a lord of the forest, masculine, and it's fast and able to defend itself.

I discovered there's a link between stags and the celtic god Cerunnos, which could be significant because Cerunnos is sometimes associated with dogs and rats.

Old August 20th, 2011, 5:33 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
We're told that James' patronus was always a stag. However, we're not told when exactly he learned to cast a corporeal patronus.

People always assume that Lily's patronus was a doe because James' patronus was a stag, and hers changed to compliment his. But....what if James' patronus was a stag because he was already in love with Lily?

Quote:

Rats aren't necessarily negative creatures, at least not in the magical world. When Hermione goes to buy an owl (though ends up with Crookshanks), the shop owner suggests to Ron that he may want to replace Scabbers with a new rat and asks what abilities Scabbers has. The shop rats are all showing off and acting superior. Rats are by nature very shrewd, resourceful and survivors. Seems to fit Peter in retrospect, doesn't it?

....I miss David Tennant....

Last edited by HedwigOwl; August 20th, 2011 at 5:38 am. Reason: typo
Old August 20th, 2011, 5:50 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
We're told that James' patronus was always a stag. However, we're not told when exactly he learned to cast a corporeal patronus.

People always assume that Lily's patronus was a doe because James' patronus was a stag, and hers changed to compliment his. But....what if James' patronus was a stag because he was already in love with Lily?
Did JKR say that James's patronus was always a stag? I didn't know that.

We're not told specifically when patronuses are taught at Hogwarts; perhaps 7th year? We do know that Dumbledore invented the communication feature so it could be he taught the new Order members (the Marauders and Lily) how to make a patronus at that time. Either scenario would explain why James's and Lily's patronuses were complementary.

Did Peter Pettigrew have a patronus?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 20th, 2011, 6:12 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post

We're not told specifically when patronuses are taught at Hogwarts; perhaps 7th year? We do know that Dumbledore invented the communication feature so it could be he taught the new Order members (the Marauders and Lily) how to make a patronus at that time. Either scenario would explain why James's and Lily's patronuses were complementary.

I think we learn about James' patronus from Lupin in POA; will have to look for it to check, but that's my recollection.

As far as Peter's patronus, he probably had one early on. Even after he turned bad, I'm guessing he could likely still cast one -- after all, Umbridge could, and she was kind of evil....

....I miss David Tennant....
Old August 20th, 2011, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post

We don't even know if they are taught at Hogwarts under normal circumstances. I don't imagine they would be under any ministry-approved curriculum, given they were only used to subdue criminals.

With regards to whether James' patronus was always a stag, according to JKR in an interview:
July 30, 2007
Chely: James patronus is a stag and lilys a doe is that a coincidence?
J.K. Rowling: No, the Patronus often mutates to take the image of the love of one's life (because they so often become the 'happy thought' that generates a Patronus).

It seems to indicate that one of them had their patronus change. Given James would most likely have become an animagus before either of them produced a patronus, I'd suggest that it was Lily's whose was effected by James, perhaps prior to her ever even casting one.

Joseph Joubert

Last edited by willfitz; August 20th, 2011 at 8:24 am.
Old August 20th, 2011, 5:05 pm
First Year

Will the position of the "Auror" job still be available now that the Dark Lord has been vanquished? Are there still Dark Wizards that need to be brought to Azkaban?

In OotP, how did the Lestranges and Death Eaters escape from Azkaban? I know that Fudge blamed it on Sirius Black, but how did they actually escape?

Note: It may say this in the book and I missed it/have forgotten.

Old August 20th, 2011, 7:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post
Will the position of the "Auror" job still be available now that the Dark Lord has been vanquished? Are there still Dark Wizards that need to be brought to Azkaban?

In OotP, how did the Lestranges and Death Eaters escape from Azkaban? I know that Fudge blamed it on Sirius Black, but how did they actually escape?

Harry and Ron went on to become Aurors, so I'd assume that the job is still available. I think the role of Dark Wizard is always in demand, and it's only a matter of time before a new Dark Lord turns up.

As for the Death Eaters' escape, I think they had the Dementors had come "out of the Ministry's control" and went to join the Dark Side.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old August 20th, 2011, 8:35 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post

Dumbledore says that Evil can never be banished but only kept at bay. So I believe there will always be need for Auror's. Its like having a military you will always have it just in case.

As to your second question I do not know

Proud Ravenclaw
Old August 20th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
As for the Death Eaters' escape, I think they had the Dementors had come "out of the Ministry's control" and went to join the Dark Side.
This was what Dumbledore was preaching, yes. The Dementors were apparently "natural allies" with Voldemort, and the breakouts were because they had been successfully recruited by the Death Eaters.

Joseph Joubert

Old August 21st, 2011, 1:51 am
Second Year

My question is why did Harry have to compete in the Triwizard Tournament? why couldn't Dumbledore just call him off and say that he was too young to compete? what would've happened if he'd neglected Harry's entry into the tournament?

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 21st, 2011, 1:56 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
My question is why did Harry have to compete in the Triwizard Tournament? why couldn't Dumbledore just call him off and say that he was too young to compete? what would've happened if he'd neglected Harry's entry into the tournament?
I believe Barty Crouch explains that once the Goblet chooses you, you enter into a magical binding contract that you have to fulfill. I don't think there was anything Dumbledore could have done to remove Harry from the Tournament. I'm not sure what would have happened if they'd ignored the Goblet and had Harry not compete, but I'm assuming there would have been unpleasant consequences.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 21st, 2011, 2:07 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
It's kind of the same concept as an Unbreakable Vow; that's how I took it, at least. The books are pretty vague as to what actually happens if you don't go through with it (I think Ron says simply that you die if you break an Unbreakable Vow) but the point is, the Goblet of Fire is binding.

Obviously, it would have killed the plot, but I always wondered if there was some sort of loophole to have Harry technically "compete" without really competing- what if, for the second task, he just swam around for a couple of minutes before getting lost and surrendering, wink wink? Maybe part of the binding contract is that you need to genuinely try.

Old August 21st, 2011, 2:24 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumoshemuttered View Post
It's kind of the same concept as an Unbreakable Vow; that's how I took it, at least. The books are pretty vague as to what actually happens if you don't go through with it (I think Ron says simply that you die if you break an Unbreakable Vow) but the point is, the Goblet of Fire is binding.

Obviously, it would have killed the plot, but I always wondered if there was some sort of loophole to have Harry technically "compete" without really competing- what if, for the second task, he just swam around for a couple of minutes before getting lost and surrendering, wink wink? Maybe part of the binding contract is that you need to genuinely try.
I also took it that it was kind of like an unbreakable vow, but then I discarded that option because they don't get mentioned until book 6. Though maybe in some way as you said it might have been something similar like an unbreakable vow and perhaps something might have happened to Dumbledore? I think JKR should have covered this in the Goblet of Fire, maybe she will in the "Encyclopedia" she's supposedly writing.

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 21st, 2011, 3:16 am
First Year

I have a question... in the books Dumbledore says to Snape "I sometimes think we sort too soon" after Snape says that Karkaroff is going to flee if the dark mark burns again or something. what did he mean?

Pottermore Beta Tester!

Name: UnicornQuill
House: Slytherin
Wand: Laurel Wood with Unicorn Core 12 1/4 inches... Surprisingly Swishy

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References