Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Pottermore v.9

Previous version: Pottermore v.8

PLEASE READ

What is on-topic:

Questions and information about, and analysis of, Pottermore itself

What is off-topic:
  • general squeeing about Pottermore and other posts which lack substance
  • whether you have registered for Pottermore yet or not (e.g. "Yay! I've just got my username and it's Snape'sUnderpants666!"). Go to the Pitchside if you want to post that sort of thing. You can put your username in your signature if you want (although there have been reports of people who'd posted their username online being hacked so you may wish to leave the final digits off as a precaution).
  • how you are feeling/what you are doing at the moment (e.g. "I'm so excited! But I don't know how I'm going to stay up all night. Maybe I'll drink coffee?" Go to the Pitchside if you want to post that sort of thing
  • questions or comments about CoS (e.g. "How is posting my username offtopic?", "Why has my post count gone down?") There is an Ask the Staff thread where you can post these things, or you can owl a mod.
What will get you banned (amongst other things):
  • posting illegal links
  • posting your e-mail address or 'phone number or asking other members for theirs
  • repeatedly ignoring the above

Speculation

What is OK here:

Reasonable, fact-based speculation, where you try to piece together the possible ways Pottermore might work, on the basis of information about the site already in the public domain, and use hypothesis to try to fill in some of the gaps.

What is not OK here:

*Wild, unfounded speculation (e.g. if the HP actors joined Pottermore, what do you think their usernames would be?)
*General "It would be so cool if..'" wish lists
*Discussion that stops being about Pottermore and starts being about you (e.g. when a How Might the Pottermore Sorting System Work? discussion turns into a The Kind of Sorting System I Would Construct If It Were Up To Me discussion, it's off-topic)

Also, please respect the wishes of the Pottermore staff e.g. if you think you've worked out a way that members can rig their answers to the Pottermore sorting quiz to get the house they want, please don't share it here, as it's obvious that the Pottermore team don't want people to rig their quiz.

Please also respect the privacy of all of those connected to the HP franchise and do not spread unconfirmed rumours or speculation about who has a Pottermore account.

Last edited by Hes; September 13th, 2011 at 2:35 pm. Reason: renewed pitchside links again
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:10 pm
First Year

Re: Pottermore v.9

Just wondering, how long do people think it's going to take them to roll out all seven books? And do you think they'll have to beta test each one? I'm sure each new book will have plenty of pages and things to click, and maybe even new games like the dueling and potions

Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:22 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalleonSnidget View Post
Just wondering, how long do people think it's going to take them to roll out all seven books? And do you think they'll have to beta test each one? I'm sure each new book will have plenty of pages and things to click, and maybe even new games like the dueling and potions

Welcome to COS Forums GalleonSnidget!!

I think the plan is to roll out a new book each year, but that's only speculation based on what I've seen at Pottermore so far. However, I don't think each one will be beta tested. I think the testing is to make sure the games and things they've developed can withstand the rigor of supporting millions of users at the same time. Once they get those bugs worked out, it should go fairly smoothly, I think, for the rest of the books.

I certainly hope they roll out new games with each book - or at leat build on the graphics being used so that instead of dueling down some random cooridor, maybe you can duel with the basilisk in the background or something along those lines.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:38 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post

I think the plan is to roll out a new book each year, but that's only speculation based on what I've seen at Pottermore so far. However, I don't think each one will be beta tested. I think the testing is to make sure the games and things they've developed can withstand the rigor of supporting millions of users at the same time. Once they get those bugs worked out, it should go fairly smoothly, I think, for the rest of the books.

I certainly hope they roll out new games with each book - or at leat build on the graphics being used so that instead of dueling down some random cooridor, maybe you can duel with the basilisk in the background or something along those lines.
That sounds pretty cool. I hope that they do that.

OwlGalleon98
[i]Entered Pottermore 3/9/11, Day 2 registrant
Your welcome to add me
Also a member of Pottermore Battalion
Wand: Hazel, 14 1/2 Inches, Phoenix Feather, Unyielding

Sig by GryffSolider
Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:52 pm
Third Year

It looks like there won't be any e-mails today. What do you guys feel about how slowly they are letting people in? They haven't let in a very high percentage of people yet even though they have been letting people in for over a week now.

On a side note, my house is shaking right now and I don't know why....earthquake?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:57 pm
First Year

Quote:

I hope they do that, and add more contents to each moment too (though with more chapters in the future books the first run-through will take longer anyway, so it won't be as much of problem as in PS). I'm not sure if I could stand the wait for a new book every year though. Imagine having to wait until 2017 for DH... I feel old just thinking about it.

CoS and Pottermore Sorted: Ravenclaw to the bones!
Wand: Alder with unicorn hair, ten inches, slightly springy.
Pet: Ginger cat

Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post
It looks like there won't be any e-mails today. What do you guys feel about how slowly they are letting people in? They haven't let in a very high percentage of people yet even though they have been letting people in for over a week now.

On a side note, my house is shaking right now and I don't know why....earthquake?
Since 3% of all of the beta users have been let in, they'd better get on the ball.

BTW, there was an earthquake in Washington DC, so that's probably the reason.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:09 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatronusLight95 View Post
Since 3% of all of the beta users have been let in, they'd better get on the ball.

BTW, there was an earthquake in Washington DC, so that's probably the reason.
Yeah honestly as each day goes by I'm starting to feel like 90% of us are going to get in in the last week before it opens to everyone. It's going to be September relatively soon and I doubt they will be letting anyone in on the weekend again.

Also, yeah I just turned on CNN....5.9 is pretty big. I live in Toronto, pretty far away from where the quake originated.....and yet I still felt it.

First Year

Quote:

I guess I havent got a problem with the speed. I would say the people in at the moment, are the true beta testers, which is a more convenient, small pool of people, so they can more easily handle complaints and problems. After this, everyone is just an early access user, who will get to play before everyone else, but are unlikely to find any problems, maybe just there to test the server capacity, and help forsee problems with too many users..

Fourth Year

WingThestral wrote:
Quote:
I'm no genius but even I know the total points for each house is obviously not either the total for every student added together or any form of average (two of the houses have higher combined total scores than their highest individual score, which rules out any averaging).
It doesn't have to be (and as you point out, isn't) a strict average per se. Most likely, the house total is the sum of the points of the house members, divided by some factor that depends on (but is not equal to) the number of house members. If it were a strict average, the house totals would be pretty small. Probably about a hundred, or less.

I'm going to do a little number crunching and see if I can't figure out what kind of rule they're using.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:12 pm
First Year

Quote:
Yeah honestly as each day goes by I'm starting to feel like 90% of us are going to get in in the last week before it opens to everyone. It's going to be September relatively soon and I doubt they will be letting anyone in on the weekend again.

Also, yeah I just turned on CNN....5.9 is pretty big. I live in Toronto, pretty far away from where the quake originated.....and yet I still felt it.
I think once all the bugs have been smoothed over, they'll start letting us in in much bigger batches, possibly of tens of thousands at a time.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:14 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I don't think they're purposefully only letting in a small number, it's just that they're hitting road blocks with the small number they have let in that they don't want to let in a big influx of students without getting these things fixed. If they don't fix the stuff now it will only get worse when more students get in.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:24 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaming heart View Post
I hope they do that, and add more contents to each moment too (though with more chapters in the future books the first run-through will take longer anyway, so it won't be as much of problem as in PS). I'm not sure if I could stand the wait for a new book every year though. Imagine having to wait until 2017 for DH... I feel old just thinking about it.
Well some of us are already old, so 2017 is even worse for us...we could be dead by then!

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:36 pm
First Year

Lol ^
They better not take that long, but maybe we are getting gready, did they say they will do all the books? I think it was implied though

Im sure this has been asked before, but on Pottermore Insider they said they sent out some welcome emails at a specific time (17:15 bst)...so whoever got in did you get your email at that time? Or was there a delay like before? Since its only been about 3 hours since then Im still hoping to get an email :/

Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:41 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Well some of us are already old, so 2017 is even worse for us...we could be dead by then!
By the time 2017 happens....that's when the kids of Harry and such start attending Hogwarts lol. XD I'm not that much younger than Harry and his friends(born 1984) so lol.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:47 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_mackrell View Post
Lol ^
They better not take that long, but maybe we are getting gready, did they say they will do all the books? I think it was implied though
Pottermore's navigation map has slots already in place for each chapter of each book. You can even click on them; there just isn't any content (other than a chapter title) or even a way to enter the chapter. So yes, it is implied that all seven books will eventually be incorporated.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 23rd, 2011, 7:54 pm
First Year

oh thanks, havent been in pottermore yet

Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTung View Post
WingThestral wrote:

It doesn't have to be (and as you point out, isn't) a strict average per se. Most likely, the house total is the sum of the points of the house members, divided by some factor that depends on (but is not equal to) the number of house members. If it were a strict average, the house totals would be pretty small. Probably about a hundred, or less.

I'm going to do a little number crunching and see if I can't figure out what kind of rule they're using.
Great, let me know your train of thoughts, I am reaaly curious!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:18 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I don't think they're purposefully only letting in a small number, it's just that they're hitting road blocks with the small number they have let in that they don't want to let in a big influx of students without getting these things fixed. If they don't fix the stuff now it will only get worse when more students get in.
Thank you, Leah. That's precisely what I think.

I would also add: the road blocks are to be expected at this stage in the process. Anybody who works with software will tell you that bugs are not the exception. They are the rule. That's why Beta testing is done. The Pottermore tech people are trying to catch the bugs now rather than later.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:13 pm
She Who Walks Behind

Duelling... l
Spoiler: show
ooks like the enabled more spells for us to practice. Curses are all unlocked now.

Needless to say, I will continue practising potions. Spells and I will never be friends.

The End of the Dream.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References