Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

View Poll Results: Was Snape a good friend to Lily?
Yes, he couldn't have been a better or more devoted friend. 12 12.90%
Yes. If only she had appreciated him more he wouldn't have joined the DE. 13 13.98%
Kind of. He should have listened to her concerns instead of focussing on his jealousy. 49 52.69%
No. He sympathised with a group of pure-blood supremacist terrorists while he was friends with her. 23 24.73%
Absolutely not. SWM was only the last straw and he'd failed her before. 9 9.68%
Oh dear, that's one hell of a poll. *hides* 19 20.43%
A pony? 20 21.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old February 4th, 2010, 3:19 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Re: Snape and Lily: Joint Character Analysis v.4

Sev was as much the victim of Petunia's prejudice, as she was of his. Even before she knew he was magical, she already expressed her contempt for him, on the basis, apparently, of his parents' neighborhood. Classism!

Lily, to her credit, was able to look past that. So too, if indeed he had any prejudice against Muggleborns, did Sev, in pursuing his friendship with Lily.

ďDeath is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion.Ē-D. H. Lawrence

All was well.

Avatar by nerwende, signature art by sigune, used with permission.

Last edited by arithmancer; February 4th, 2010 at 3:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 4th, 2010, 5:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
That's great in theory, but in the actual plot of these books, not so much.

You might as well insist that every child in the Wizarding World has to suddenly have a positive view of Slytherin House. But there were children on the train with Severus who didn't like Slytherin House and let him know that plainly (whatever their reasons), and that same idea is perpetuated by an adult (Ron Weasley) nineteen years later.

Is it fair for a child to be judged by the history of his house, when he has never been to Hogwarts before? I don't think so. This is prejudice, in my opinion.

So for all intents and purposes, prejudice in the books remains still alive and well in the Wizarding World long after Snape's death, and doesn't solely rest on the shoulders of the young boy named Severus.
Stereotypes about a boarding school dormitory is not the same as internalized or institutionalized racism.

In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I donít know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals

"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom

~I'm Lily's best friend because she doesn't have one.~
Old February 4th, 2010, 6:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenStar83 View Post
Stereotypes about a boarding school dormitory is not the same as internalized or institutionalized racism.
In your opinion.

I believe Snape had other reasons to either fear or dislike Muggles besides mere prejudice. That doesn't keep him from making friends with Lily and going to her house to visit. He also kept his father's name and Muggle house, so I'm not sure if Snape ever actually "internalized a prejudice" against Muggles.

As I have written several times now, in my opinion, Snape is confused, like most of the other teenagers in these books. He's no more evil than the Weasley Twins who pushed a Slytherin into a Vanishing Cabinet just for being a Prefect. I wouldn't call them evil, and I'm sure you wouldn't either, but I would say it was wrong to do that.

I believe dislike of Slytherin House has been internalized for generations in the Wizarding World. It may not be racism, but it is a prejudice. JMO

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old February 4th, 2010, 6:52 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
In your opinion.

I believe Snape had other reasons to either fear or dislike Muggles besides mere prejudice. That doesn't keep him from making friends with Lily and going to her house to visit. He also kept his father's name and Muggle house, so I'm not sure if Snape ever actually "internalized a prejudice" against Muggles.

As I have written several times now, in my opinion, Snape is confused, like most of the other teenagers in these books. He's no more evil than the Weasley Twins who pushed a Slytherin into a Vanishing Cabinet just for being a Prefect. I wouldn't call them evil, and I'm sure you wouldn't either, but I would say it was wrong to do that.

I believe dislike of Slytherin House has been internalized for generations in the Wizarding World. It may not be racism, but it is a prejudice. JMO
There's a point there I thought interesting, and took to the Fred and George thread.

Old February 4th, 2010, 6:59 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
In your opinion.
Quote:
He also kept his father's name and Muggle house, so I'm not sure if Snape ever actually "internalized a prejudice" against Muggles.
In my opinion? So there's a possibility that stereotypes of a house dormitory is just the same as racism? I'm not sure if this thread is the place to have a discussion on how racism works and its severity. If you'd like to PM or take this into the Office of Culture section of the forums, that's fine with me. So all I'm going to say right now is....no.

In slow motion the flowers fell from my head an shattered like glass. And when I looked into the mirror, I was a beautiful milkmaid. Then I woke up crying, and I donít know why. ~Snape from Potter Puppet Pals

"In a lot of cases I think being the canon love interest for a much-beloved male character is the female character's death sentence." ~ thirty2flavors regarding the hate of female characters in fandom

Old February 4th, 2010, 7:05 pm
Queen of Apathy

Please get back on topic guys.

Also anymore rude snarky remarks will get deleted in the future along with a warning. Everyone is not going to agree and that is understandable but lets try being polite.

Old February 5th, 2010, 2:52 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
He also kept his father's name and Muggle house, so I'm not sure if Snape ever actually "internalized a prejudice" against Muggles.
Just because an egocentric jerk like Voldemort changed his last name doesn't mean it's the norm for people who dislike their fathers
Quote:
I believe dislike of Slytherin House has been internalized for generations in the Wizarding World. It may not be racism, but it is a prejudice.
I really don't mean to be snarky but I'm pretty sure that some prejudices are far more severe than others, and it's only all relative to an extent. I can be prejudiced against Crocs because I think they're one of the ugliest shoes in the world. That doesn't mean that my prejudice of Crocs is at all along the same level of intensity and severity as a prejudice against people for their parentage and blood line. Reputation of a house in a boarding school being compared to prejudice against people due to who their parents are seems rather disingenuous to me.

"I'm the most terrific liar you ever saw in your life. It's awful. If I'm on my way to the store to buy a magazine, even, and somebody asks me where I'm going, I'm liable to say I'm going to the opera. It's terrible." |Catcher in the Rye

Siggy image from LA 1960s & Avatar made by Makani|*PLEASE DO NOT TAKE*
Old February 5th, 2010, 9:44 am

Quote:
I'm not so sure either. Severus seems far too aware of his own Muggle half to me and never denys it. He calls himself "Half-Blood Prince, and yes it does draw attention to the magical side, but by using "Half- Blood" it also does not deny the Muggle side either. He also does not seem ashamed to be living in what Bella refers to as "a Muggle dung heap". I just think that if he had a real hatred of Muggles he would go to any lengths to hide and deny his own Muggle heritage, yet he doesn't.

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
I'm not so sure either. Severus seems far too aware of his own Muggle half to me and never denys it. He calls himself "Half-Blood Prince, and yes it does draw attention to the magical side, but by using "Half- Blood" it also does not deny the Muggle side either. He also does not seem ashamed to be living in what Bella refers to as "a Muggle dung heap". I just think that if he had a real hatred of Muggles he would go to any lengths to hide and deny his own Muggle heritage, yet he doesn't.
I think as an adult Snape was comfortable with his Muggle side. I've always been interested in Chamber of Secrets that he was concerned about the flying car and the fact that Muggles had seen it. He knew they would be frightened of it. In fact, next to Dumbledore and Mr. Weasley, Snape is one of the few Wizards who draws Harry's attention to the Muggle world in a non-derogatory way. JMO

(He's derogatory and angry towards Harry and Ron because he has been searching for them. I believe he's been worried about them. But he doesn't say "these stupid Muggles will get all upset over the flying car" - he just reads the list of people who have seen it from the newspaper).

Last edited by silver ink pot; February 5th, 2010 at 12:29 pm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 12:48 pm
Always Indy's Girl

I loved that scene. Somehow (I don't know for what reason) it made me feel that Snape was a law abiding person, which is strange in the light of what we learn about his joining Voldemort later. In that scene, he sounded outraged because the boys had broken an important rule; if not both boys at least Ron should have known. I loved his sarcasm in that scene as well. Surprising, because Harry and Ron's comments would have got them detention or had points taken off them, had it been other Professors (except Dumbledore), but Snape never bothered. I think it's these little hints which I see that make me feel he had already started seeing Harry differently IMO.

I wonder if it is from here that Harry's obssession with Snape started. Ron does not notice at all; but Harry immediately notices Snape's absent at the Staff table.

CoS - The Whomping Willow"Hang on..." Harry muttered to Ron. "There's an empty chair at the staff table...Where's Snape?"

Professor Severus Snape was Harry's least favorite teacher. Harry also happened to be Snape's least favorite student. Cruel, sarcastic, and disliked by everybody except the students from his own house (Slytherin), Snape taught Potions.

"Maybe he's ill!" said Ron hopefully.
pg 77

"Maybe he's left," said Harry, "because he missed out on the Defense Against Dark Arts job again!"

"Or he might have been sacked!" said Ron enthusiastically. "I mean, everyone hates him__"

"Or maybe," said a very cold voice right behind them, "He"s waiting to hear why you two didn"t arrive on the school train."

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Old February 5th, 2010, 3:29 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Living/staying in Spinner's End is adult Snape though, and Snape changed a lot since he was younger. And I don't think there's any evidence of adult Snape being racist against muggles and muggleborns.

I'm not sure if embracing his half-bloodness means teenage Snape couldn't be racist though. Though half-bloods are sorta considered not as good as purebloods, I don't think there's any evidence in the books that any racism against them is as bad as for muggleborns. I don't remember a half-blood ever being ridiculed compared to what's said about muggleborns, and there aren't any racials slurs against them either. So there's still the implication that half-bloods are "better" than muggleborns.

Last edited by RavenStar83; February 5th, 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenstar
I don't remember a half-blood ever being ridiculed compared to what's said about muggleborns, and there aren't any racials slurs against them either. So there's still the implication that half-bloods are "better" than muggleborns.
What about these?

"You dare speak his name? YOU FILTHY HALF-BLOOD!"
~Bellatrix Lestrange to Harry Potter after he uses the name Voldemort

"Stains of dishonour, filthy half-breeds, blood traitors, children of filth!"
~Portrait of Walburga Black screaming at members of the Order of the Phoenix

To Bellatrix and possibly the entire Black Family, a Half-Blood like Snape would be just as awful as a Muggleborn like Lily. They say so clearly, imo.

Also, there is the fact that Harry taunts Bellatrix about Voldemort being a Half-Blood, and she looks shocked. I'll try to find the quote.

Last edited by silver ink pot; February 5th, 2010 at 8:20 pm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Also, there is the fact that Harry taunts Bellatrix about Voldemort being a Half-Blood, and she looks shocked. I'll try to find the quote.

'Shut your mouth! Bellatrix shreiked. 'You dare speak his name with your unworthy lips, you dare besmirch it with your half-blood's tongue, you dare -'( Bellatrix, OotP,Beyond The Veil)

Old February 5th, 2010, 8:34 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
What about these?

"You dare speak his name? YOU FILTHY HALF-BLOOD!"
~Bellatrix Lestrange to Harry Potter after he uses the name Voldemort

"Stains of dishonour, filthy half-breeds, blood traitors, children of filth!"
~Portrait of Walburga Black screaming at members of the Order of the Phoenix

To Bellatrix and possibly the entire Black Family, a Half-Blood like Snape would be just as awful as a Muggleborn like Lily. They say so clearly, imo.

I stand corrected.

As I said before, half-bloods aren't considered as good enough as purebloods. But I don't think they have it as bad as muggleborns. Half-bloods are still able to be DE's, and there isn't a racial slur to describe half-bloods. Purebloods like the Black family are complete elitists when it comes to their blood status. NOBODY is as good as they are. And Bella, worshiping Voldy the way she does, isn't going to take anyone saying anything she consideres bad about Voldy.

But my last post was addressing the wizarding world as a whole in their attitudes and treatment of half-bloods and muggleborns, and why this does not indicate that Snape couldn't be racist against anyone relating to muggles just because he embraced his half-bloodness. People may insult half-bloods, but they're not treated as badly as muggleborns. And actions count as much (if not more) than words.

And this is deviating from Snape and Lily...

Last edited by RavenStar83; February 5th, 2010 at 8:43 pm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Quote:
'Shut your mouth! Bellatrix shreiked. 'You dare speak his name with your unworthy lips, you dare besmirch it with your half-blood's tongue, you dare -'( Bellatrix, OotP,Beyond The Veil)
Thanks, Treacle! Here's the entire passage:

"Yeah, I've got no problem saying Vol--"

"Shut your mouth! Bellatrix shreiked. "You dare speak his name with your unworthy lips, you dare besmirch it with your half-blood's tongue, you dare--"

"Did you know he's a half-blood too?" said Harry recklessly. Hermione gave a little moan in his ear. Voldemort? Yeah, his mother was a witch but his dad was a Muggle -- or has he been telling you lot that he's a Pureblood?"

"STUPEF-"
"NO!"

A jet of red light had shot from the end of Bellatrix Lestrange's wand, but Malfoy had deflected it.

It's because Harry knew about Voldemort's background that he judged the Half-Blood Prince so harshly, believing that Prince was a made up title to make him sound like Pureblood royalty, when really it was a family name.

I think it's clear from Bella's attitude that she would consider Snape beneath her - she calls his home a Muggle Dung Heap, after all. So to someone like her, Lily and Snape's commonality of background would make them both undesirables, and Snape would know that.

It's the same with Lupin and Tonks who are Half-Bloods, and therefore must be hunted down. Voldemort doesn't have anything against werewolves, so it must be their blood status that he hates.

Old February 5th, 2010, 8:43 pm

Quote:
Half-bloods are still able to be DE's, and there isn't a racial slur to describe half-bloods.
Yet, Voldemort tried to recruit Lily who was Muggle-born.

MA: What about the three times-- The thrice-defying of Voldemort?

JKR: It depends how you take defying, doesn't it. I mean, if you're counting, which I do, anytime you arrested one of his henchmen, anytime you escaped him, anytime you thwarted him, that's what he's looking for. And both couples qualified because they were both fighting. Also, James and Lily turned him down, that was established in "Philosopher's Stone". He wanted them, and they wouldn't come over, so that's one strike against them before they were even out of their teens.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...st-anelli.html

Old February 5th, 2010, 8:53 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Yet, Voldemort tried to recruit Lily who was Muggle-born.

MA: What about the three times-- The thrice-defying of Voldemort?

JKR: It depends how you take defying, doesn't it. I mean, if you're counting, which I do, anytime you arrested one of his henchmen, anytime you escaped him, anytime you thwarted him, that's what he's looking for. And both couples qualified because they were both fighting. Also, James and Lily turned him down, that was established in "Philosopher's Stone". He wanted them, and they wouldn't come over, so that's one strike against them before they were even out of their teens.

http://www.accio-quote.org/articles/...st-anelli.html
JKR had also said muggleborns were not allowed to be DE's, unless it was a special circumstance. I don't think it's certain what that special circumstance was (unless we want to suspect that Voldy thought Lily was powerful, hence she would be useful).

However, my analysis is based on the text alone. As I said before, there's no racial slur for half-bloods. My impression of the books were that half-bloods are able to integrate into the Wizarding World a lot better than muggleborns. When muggleborns are persecuted by the new ministry run by the DE's, do halfbloods get persecuted as well? No, because their wizard parent was considered "proof" that they had magic in them. And even people who weren't DE's working within the ministry like Umbridge had no problem adopting this new regulation.

And it's still deviating from Snape and Lily...

Last edited by RavenStar83; February 5th, 2010 at 8:55 pm.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:13 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
JKR had also said muggleborns were not allowed to be DE's, unless it was a special circumstance. I don't think it's certain what that special circumstance was (unless we want to suspect that Voldy thought Lily was powerful, hence she would be useful).

However, my analysis is based on the text alone.
While I agree with the rest of what you said re: Voldy's 'Ministry', I just wanted to remind you that there IS text that implies that at least Hagrid believed that Voldy would be interested in recruiting Lily (and James, but he's the pureblood - no surprise).

Hagrid (in Bk1) said that it was surprising that Voldy had not ever gone to recruit them before. Of course WE know that wasn't the reason Voldy went to Godric's Hollow, however, it must be a plausible possibility for someone so close to Albus to believe that Voldy would want Lily as a DE based on talent. (I'm pretty sure this was what JKR was referring to in that quote.)

And when that day would come, that he had better have the appropriate memories that would enable him to lie to Voldy's face.
Old February 5th, 2010, 11:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwyla View Post
While I agree with the rest of what you said re: Voldy's 'Ministry', I just wanted to remind you that there IS text that implies that at least Hagrid believed that Voldy would be interested in recruiting Lily (and James, but he's the pureblood - no surprise).

Hagrid (in Bk1) said that it was surprising that Voldy had not ever gone to recruit them before. Of course WE know that wasn't the reason Voldy went to Godric's Hollow, however, it must be a plausible possibility for someone so close to Albus to believe that Voldy would want Lily as a DE based on talent. (I'm pretty sure this was what JKR was referring to in that quote.)
I also think Voldemort must have seen some value in Lily's abilities even though she was Muggleborn or he wouldn't have honored Snape's request to give her a chance to live.

Old February 6th, 2010, 2:39 am
Inconceivable!

If you guys are waiting for a mod to come by and tell you that you are off topic, then this is it.

Let's continue the discussion of Harry and Bellatrix and anything that isn't related to the relationship between Snape and Lily in their appropriate threads.

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References