Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

The Malfoys, evil or not?

Old August 10th, 2007, 8:47 pm
First Year

The Malfoys, evil or not?

I'd say not...given the recent happenings in the last book. They appear to care for each other more than Voldermort and his plans. This is a good trait of family love and care however given ther past behaviour I cant be sure. Draco and Narcissa definatley showed a slight turning of character and personality. I always knew Draco had a soft spot for the trio as they say there is a thin line between love and hate.

Sponsored Links
Old August 10th, 2007, 9:29 pm
MODLY CREW

Re: The Malfoys, evil or not?

Not exactly covering your topic but you may be interested in having a look at:

Lessons Learned by the Malfoys
Malfoy Family Analysis

Old August 10th, 2007, 9:44 pm
Secret Keeper

Draco and Narcissa, no, Lucius, probably

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old August 10th, 2007, 9:49 pm
First Year

Arrogant to the point of exclusiveness, brutality, and rude incivility.

I haven't yet determined the difference between this and evil.

There is no fair. There is no deserves. There are no rights. There is Grace and there is choice. Everything else is just an excuse.
Old August 10th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Third Year

yh, i think Draco had a soft spot for the trio, as for Lucius i don''tthink he was evil, he just knew he was helpless and had to go with it, so i don't blame him really.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old August 10th, 2007, 9:50 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywitch View Post
Draco and Narcissa, no, Lucius, probably
I agree with you. Although i don't think Lucius was that Evil. He just was and ordinary Slytherin, knew what was best for him and his family, arrogant but intelligent.

Old August 10th, 2007, 9:52 pm
Second Year

Draco and Narcissa were without doubt not evil. Lucius on the other hand was evil.

The book in CoS was an act of pure evil, if he knew what was going to happen.

Dumbledore vs Voldemort = Dead Voldemort
Old August 10th, 2007, 9:59 pm
First Year

I think Draco isn't - it was obvious he was terrified when he had the burden of murdering Dumbledore and in this book he seemed to care more about his family. I loved the connection between the three in Deathly Hallows, it definitely showed a huge character change for the Malfoys.

"Of course, that's assuming that the female population here has an obsession with big-nosed, hawk-eyed, stuck-up gits who have their heads too far up their arses to recognize genuine intelligence when they see it."
-For Reasons Unknown, a fave Fanfic :]
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:06 pm
Second Year

The question is can one be evil and still love their family. I think without doubt, yes.

Dumbledore vs Voldemort = Dead Voldemort

Last edited by Dumbledoreswand; August 10th, 2007 at 11:53 pm.
Old August 10th, 2007, 10:20 pm
Third Year

I think that its the idea of power that entices the Malfoys towards the dark arts. Somewhere along the lines they seem to have decided that fear = power, when it doesnt have to be like that! Hopefull Harry has shown them otherwise!
I dont think that they are evil, but Lucius has had his moments.
He had never been on LV bad side though really, and I think he finally found out what it was like to be a victim instead of the bully and it made him do a long overdue re-think of his morals and some of his practices!

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:23 pm
Student

I wouldn't say that they are evil, but they do Voldemort's bidding because they know whos side to be on and what is good for them. The lack of fighting from them at the end of DH just shows that they cared about Draco more than Voldemort's plans.

Old August 10th, 2007, 10:26 pm
Second Year

I don't think sorting charcters to "Good" or "Evil" is right, becuase most of the characters are much more complex then that. The Malfoy is one character that I can't sort... they remind me of Peter Pettigrew, doing everything to survive. Lucius was never really loyal to Voldemort (he had no problem to turn his back on Voldemort after he vanished, unlike Bellatrix or Crouch Jr, real loyal servent, both prefer to sit in Azkaban then to betray their master), he just wanted to end up with the winning side ("If you can't beat them, join them"), wanted him and his family to survive.

Old August 10th, 2007, 11:38 pm
First Year

Most of the posts I've written so far have been about Draco and the Malfoys. I don't want to get repetitive so I will put it in simple terms. I definately believe that the Malfoys are not evil! There is a huge difference between snobby and evil! What really sets them apart is that unlike the other death eater families, they can love!!!! That's enough to convince me that they are not cold hearted. I think that they are one of the most misunderstood characters. There is something about them (not so much Lucius but still) that makes me feel sympathetic for them, especially Draco. Ever since HBP, I had no doubts whatsoever! They were just a family who did not know what they were getting themselves into and had to be brought back down to Earth. Besides, it's hard to call Draco evil and not feel sorry for him after you see him crying in the bathroom and Harry uses Sectumsempra on him! My favourite part!

I just wanted to add that I don't believe Lucius joined the Death Eaters because he enjoyed killing/torturing innocent people, unlike most of the others: Bellatrix, Dolohov, etc. He only did it to gain power and status, (something to brag about), but surely not to become a murderer!

Last edited by patronus_17; August 10th, 2007 at 11:51 pm.
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:02 am
First Year

Well, the world isn't split into people who are 100% good or 100% evil, is it? I wouldn't say that the Malfoys are evil, but they've all done evil and cowardly things. But doing some evil things don't make you an evil person, I think...

They were cowards, and that is sometimes just as bad and dangerous as being evil, especially when an evil and ruthless person like Voldemort is around.

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:39 am
Sixth Year

I think that the Malfoys are more cowardly than they are evil. I definitely don't think Draco is evil, and I don't think his mother is that bad either. Lucius is probably the nastiest of them all, but something tells me he is more cowardly than evil as well.

"Think how it must be for all the kids who were 8 when Harry debuted in 'Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone' ... Those kids are now 18, and when they close the final book, they will be in some measure closing the book on their own childhoods."
~ Stephan King, July 2007
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:49 am
First Year

Evil, no. The Malfoys may believe in their pureblood mania but they remained loyal only to each other, not Voldemort. Lucius in particular had this aloof detatched manner of a 'bored' aristocrat. He wanted power and status, which perhaps is natural considering who he is; the head of one of the most prominent and wealthy families there is; he was born and undoubtly raised to believe in his superiority and self-worth and to do what was expected of him as the Malfoy heir. Perhaps as a young man the thought of joining this dark and secret group may have appealled to him because of the share thrill factor. I'm sure it didn't take much convincing to get him to join but I doubt he realized how far it would actually go - and the constant mortal danger it would put him and his future family in. If he had known, I'm almost certain he would have declined membership. One thing that throws me though is, even though he did believe in the pureblood superiority he was very warm in his welcome of Snape when the boy was sorted into the house of Slytherin. He knew Snape wasn't a pureblood, so it would almost seem like blood wasn't the most important thing, as long as Lucius felt they were worthy of Slytherin and showed some real talent and potential in the Dark Arts. Something he was very interested in himself. At the same time he despised the Weasleys, despite them being purebloods, as he felt them unworthy and a disgrace to the name of wizards. Clearly he wasn't impressed, whether it was because of their lack of talent (Ginny held the most talent of the lot) or their strong faith in muggles and interest in all things muggle.

Last edited by luxlight; August 11th, 2007 at 1:05 am.
Old August 11th, 2007, 1:01 am
First Year

I agree that the Malfoy's show that they love each other and that they put their family before Voldemort; which leads me to believe they cannot be truely evil. In the end they were so far tied into the Death Eater lifestyle that removing themselves would've harmed them more than playing to Voldemort's orders.

Old August 11th, 2007, 1:03 am
Fifth Year

I was pleased to see that Lucius cared more for Draco than I thought he had. Narcissa also showed great love for her son, I think, as a mother should. This, however, does not make up for the fact that they thought that all non-purebloods were worthless. I don't think they are evil, but rather very unpleasant and biased people who happen to be able to love each other.

Gerald M. Loeb
Old August 12th, 2007, 2:11 am
Third Year

One very important lesson that I think JKR was pretty intent on expressing in these books was that everyone (even Voldemort, at a young age) is not either completely good or completely evil.

She further defines that when Dumbledore emphasizes that it's our choices that make us who we are.

So people are not simply good or evil, but the choices they make define their lives as such. If you have two tigers, whichever one you feed most often is going to be the bigger, stronger tiger.

The Malfoys obviously fed their evil side more than they fed their good side - and in the end, it really didn't do them much good, did it? The thing about always choosing the dark side is that then you are surrounded by thieves and scoundrels who you have to rely on.... and they will cheat you just as quickly as they cheated everyone else to get where they are.

But as for the main question, again, I think the plot shows that the best, most respected characters (DD) come into question, and the bad characters are not without their original redeeming qualities, or at least the glimmer of their original possibility.

Old August 13th, 2007, 4:54 am
Second Year

I do see Lucius as evil. The other two, not so much. I think they were trying to live up to what was expected of them. Draco was obviously trying to be just like daddy. He was in way over his head.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References