Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Read-a-Thon: GoF

Old June 16th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Second Year

Re: Read-a-Thon: GoF, Ch. 19-21

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
on page 315, one of the students mentioned about Harry being one of the top students(based on Rita's article). the student went on and mentioned if it was a school that Harry and Longbottom set up together? Why was this mentioned?
Just flipped to the page, it says

Quote:
"Since when have you been one of the top students in the school, Potter? Or is this a school you and Longbottom have set up together?"
I took it as, since Neville isn't exactly the smartest student, the speaker was being sarcastic and saying that Harry would only be the smartest in the school if he went to a school where he and Neville were the only students.

Cypress, Unicorn Hair, 9 3/4", Hard

My Pottermore House:

My COS House: Hufflepuff
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2011, 3:24 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Yes, I thought of that after I posted the question.

Old June 19th, 2011, 5:12 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I think Sirius was correct in Dumbledore reading the signs. I do believe that one of the reasons he got Moody out of retirement was to keep an eye on Karkaroff, given the turbulence of the times. But Dumbledore did not appear to outwardly suspect Karkaroff of foul play. I do wonder, though, if Dumbledore did inwardly suspect Igor.
I don't know, I think he may have shared Sirius' opinion that Karkaroff had betrayed too many DEs to expect to be welcomed back. Although, Voldemort could have just used him until he no longer needed his help, and then punished him for testifying against his fellows. Dumbledore may have thought that a possibility if he suspected Karakroff was involved.

Quote:
I do not want to venture too deeply into Snape's character analysis, but I think Snape must have objected to Hermione's seeming "plagiarism" of facts and figures. As the Half-Blood Prince, he showed his intelligence to be very inventive and original, but I think he sees Hermione's as all mimicry and memorization. And I think Snape took issue with what he may have seen as a "glorification" of Hermione's brilliance by everyone else.
But nor does he want a practical, non-textbook answer - he mocks Harry's "ghosts are transparent" answer in HBP.

Quote:
However, I do think it is a commercial product, due to its name and the way that Rita introduces it (here in GoF and in DH). However, part of the magic of the Quill may be that it adapts to the owner's style, or that it can be trained like a pet.
I like that possibility. Wands adapt to their owner's style. It's possible that other magical items do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvDarkMarks View Post
My thoughts exactly. Because it has a specific name, I'd say that it is a commercial product which most reporters use for ease of taking notes. Since the quill tends to fudge interviewees words and seems to have an affinity for Rita, it makes sense that she performed some magic to have it "behave" in this way. It goes without saying that it is Rita herself who finds pleasure in twisting a story to make it "good news."
I don't know if she finds pleasure in it - then again, she wants to fit a story around the headline about getting Bagman fired. I think she knew what would sell, and didn't care who she hurt in getting it done. I think she was quite selfish in that way, but I don't think she was actually sadistic about it. Vengeful, yes.

And in the Three Broomsticks, we have Fake Moody drinking from his Polyjuice Potion. It's even drawn to the reader's attention because Madam Rosmerta is insulted by the use of the hip flask, and we're told of Moody's paranoia about poison.

How was the magical eye able to see through the Cloak? In DH, it's mentioned that the Hallow Cloak is much more secure than others, and giving constant and impenetrable concealment? Of course, its abilities may be exaggerated, like those of the wand, but it's still interesting.

Funnily enough, this is one occasion where going against Hermione's advice serves Harry well - if he hadn't gone to see Hagrid, he wouldn't have found out about the dragons.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; June 19th, 2011 at 5:17 pm.
Old June 20th, 2011, 4:34 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Moody's dark detectors became useful to Harry when he taught his fellows in the D.A. Did they not work because Moody was really Barty Crouch Jr, or was it because of the magical interference from the students?
Moody tells Harry to play to his strengths to fight the dragon and Harry says he doesn't have any. Moody disagrees, teachers always point out your strengths and weaknesses even if you don't think you have any.

Old June 20th, 2011, 6:09 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I thought this passage was peculiar in Chapter Twenty:
Quote:
He felt much more aware of his body than usual; very aware of the way his heart was pumping fast, and his fingers tingling with fear...yet at the same time, he seemed to be outside himself, seeing the walls of the tent, and hearing the crowd, as though from far away....
GoF, U.S. Edition, page 352.

Also, what ever happened to his model of the Hungarian Horntail?

Quote:
Moody's dark detectors became useful to Harry when he taught his fellows in the D.A. Did they not work because Moody was really Barty Crouch Jr, or was it because of the magical interference from the students?
According to Moody himself, he had to disable some because they kept going off. He claimed it was because of all the lying and cheating from the students, but it was really because he was the imposter.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old June 20th, 2011, 10:38 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I thought Harry's model of the Hungarian Horntail was kept on his night stand so he could look at it before he went to sleep. Only, I couldn't find what page it was mentioned. He looked at it and thought, "Hagrid was right, dragons weren't nearly as bad as he thought".
the minature dragon curled up on his nightstand and when to sleep.
the quote on p. 352, GOF, seemed to echo wat was mentioned in DH when Harry was going into the forest. p. 694, DH, his heart was leaping against his ribs like a frantic bird. It's not exactly the same, but similar.

Old June 20th, 2011, 10:41 pm
Third Year

So cool that this is still going! The first thing I did when my summer started was picking up the series from the start, and I'm now on the 3rd. When I catch up, I'll be certain to join along in the discussion.

Two of the oddest men you would ever meet.

Supporter of splitting at shell cottage after Dobby's Heroic death.
Old June 21st, 2011, 5:10 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I am not currently reading the books, but I will turn to the chapters under discussion and ask a question or answer one.

I found the page about the mention of what happened to Harry's model of the Hungarian Horntail, it's on page 367, GoF, American Edition.

Old June 21st, 2011, 7:10 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman View Post
So cool that this is still going! The first thing I did when my summer started was picking up the series from the start, and I'm now on the 3rd. When I catch up, I'll be certain to join along in the discussion.
Woah, where did you come out of?

Quote:
I am not currently reading the books, but I will turn to the chapters under discussion and ask a question or answer one.

I found the page about the mention of what happened to Harry's model of the Hungarian Horntail, it's on page 367, GoF, American Edition.
Yeah, but I was asking about what happened to it after we see him place it on his nightstand.

And when are we moving to the next chapters?

Also, the passage I mentioned earlier, I was thinking along the lines of the piece of Voldemort's soul inside his scar. Could this be first evidence of it residing there, since it makes it appear as though "someone" is watching from far away, even though Voldemort hadn't known about the connection yet?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....

Last edited by xhanax315; June 21st, 2011 at 7:12 pm.
Old June 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Woah, where did you come out of?
Hey there. As much as I hate to admit it, a busy first year of college kept my mind a little more occupied than I would have liked. I have been meaning to come back to posting for ages, and have basically been lurking around for the past few months. Glad to see the discussion is just as great as when I left!

Hopefully I'll catch up by this weekend, I read a few chapters of the PoA last night.

Old June 24th, 2011, 5:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

We don't what happened to his dragon model after he put his it on his nightstand. I like to think it was somewhere in his trunk.

Old June 24th, 2011, 5:16 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I've just been looking at how the champions dealt with their dragons and the marks they got. Cedric transfigured a stone into a dog but got burnt, Fleur put it to sleep but its snore burned her skirt, Krum hit it with a conjunctivitis curse and it trampled its eggs, Harry used his broom and got hit on the shoulder. Krum & Harry got top marks. Why? I think Fleur's method was the best and she didn't get hurt, just her skirt. And why was she wearing a skirt to fight a dragon?

Albus Dumbledore, HBP
Old June 24th, 2011, 5:49 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Fleur is a lady. of course she would want to wear a skirt. I think the scores were how well they dealt with the pressure of fighting dragons. Technically, they weren't suppose to know in advance. But since cheating was expected, it was how to deal with pressure. The champions had a certain amount of time to get the golden egg, plus they did it in front of three schools. Then they were scored on how well their spell worked.

Old June 24th, 2011, 7:36 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4 View Post
I've just been looking at how the champions dealt with their dragons and the marks they got. Cedric transfigured a stone into a dog but got burnt, Fleur put it to sleep but its snore burned her skirt, Krum hit it with a conjunctivitis curse and it trampled its eggs, Harry used his broom and got hit on the shoulder. Krum & Harry got top marks. Why? I think Fleur's method was the best and she didn't get hurt, just her skirt. And why was she wearing a skirt to fight a dragon?
Perhaps she was wearing a skirt because it was part of her school uniform? After all, Harry didn't change into anything different for the task.

Perhaps the time taken was a factor, as merrymarge suggests. Bagman did comment on Harry being the quickest to get to the egg. And perhaps the style of dealing with the challenge came into it - originality and usefulness, for example.

On another aspect, I think it's likely Cedric was the only one who came up with a solution on his own, or at least without adult help. I find it likely that Madame Maxime suggested that Fleur put the dragon into a trance, and that Karkaroff suggested the Conjunctivitis spell to Krum. After all, as they told their Champions what the task would be, they may well have mentioned ways they could use to get past a dragon.

"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old June 25th, 2011, 9:20 pm
Snidget of Champions

Lots here to answer and discuss, so feel free to move onto the next three chapters and/or post new questions without wading through all my ramblings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice
I don't know, I think he may have shared Sirius' opinion that Karkaroff had betrayed too many DEs to expect to be welcomed back. Although, Voldemort could have just used him until he no longer needed his help, and then punished him for testifying against his fellows. Dumbledore may have thought that a possibility if he suspected Karakroff was involved.
Yes, one would think that Dumbledore would understand Karkaroff's character well enough to realize that Igor was cowardly and scared of Voldemort's return. In The Prince's Tale, he does not seem surprised when Snape tells him that Karkaroff intended to flee if the Dark Mark burned. I think Dumbledore would have understood that Karkaroff was not minutely loyal to Voldemort any more. However, Dumbledore also admits and knows he makes mistakes, so perhaps he was suspect of Karkaroff for precaution?

If Karkaroff was not the main reason for bringing in Moody as DADA professor, then what was? Was it just the dangers of the Triwizard Tournament that dictated a teacher knowledgeable of the Dark Arts?

Personally, I think it was extra protection of Harry given the looming turbulence. Dumbledore read the Muggle newspapers and new of Frank's disappearance, which occurred before the school year. Then, through Sirius, he also learned of Harry's dream at the beginning of GoF. I think Dumbledore would have compiled all of these signs into realizing that Voldemort was on the brink of returning. Thus, Moody was a good ally to have in Hogwarts - especially with an ex-Death Eater (no matter how cowardly or scared of Voldemort) at the school.
Quote:
I like that possibility. Wands adapt to their owner's style. It's possible that other magical items do the same.
I think this is a reasonable and enjoyable explanation. I think it adds more depth and character to magic and the instruments that wizards employ.
Quote:
I don't know if she finds pleasure in it - then again, she wants to fit a story around the headline about getting Bagman fired. I think she knew what would sell, and didn't care who she hurt in getting it done. I think she was quite selfish in that way, but I don't think she was actually sadistic about it. Vengeful, yes.
I am unsure. I think it is true that Rita receives some pleasure from "twisting a story to make it 'good news.'" However, I do not know if it is a direct form of pleasure.

I agree that she knows the types of stories that sell and that make a journalist known. She also realizes that the methods of producing those stories require her versions of stories. Here, though, it is debatable if she actually perceives her own writing style as twisting the truth or if it is the actual truth, to her.

The line between perception and reality are key, I think, to understanding Rita's perspective. If she realizes that she distorts the facts, then I think she takes pleasure from the readers' reactions, which, in turn, is caused by the twisting of the story.
However, if she perceives her stories as the actual truth - and not a distortion - then her reality is much more clouded than the former example. She is a product of self-deception, and thus she receives no satisfaction at all from twisting the truth because, in her mind, she is not twisting the truth. Her satisfaction, therefore, is caused by her self-deception and its shaky imitation of happiness. Of course, she still does not care about who or what gets in the way of her telling the story, which is what makes her such a vicious - and ruthless - reporter. However, the prompt behind her reporting is, in my eyes, key to understanding her viewpoint and corresponding actions.
Quote:
And in the Three Broomsticks, we have Fake Moody drinking from his Polyjuice Potion. It's even drawn to the reader's attention because Madam Rosmerta is insulted by the use of the hip flask, and we're told of Moody's paranoia about poison.
Yes, this was one of my favorite "Aha!" moments upon my first re-read of GoF. And, of course, it is moments like these that have prompted me to re-read the series multiple times.
Quote:
How was the magical eye able to see through the Cloak? In DH, it's mentioned that the Hallow Cloak is much more secure than others, and giving constant and impenetrable concealment? Of course, its abilities may be exaggerated, like those of the wand, but it's still interesting.
This was once a question of much debate, if I remember correctly. In DH, Xenophilius does tell the trio that the Cloak of Invisibility "renders the wearer completely invisible, and endures eternally, giving constant and impenetrable concealment, no matter what spells are cast at it" (DH, pg. 411).

However, that is just one of the myths of the Hallows, as I see it. It is comparable to the Elder Wand being seen as unbeatable in a duel. However, Dumbledore disproves that belief by beating Grindelwald in a duel. Therefore, while the Questers' beliefs about the Hallows may have been as Xenophilius described, they do not appear to be as infallible as hoped. They also have their limitations and weaknesses, as shown by the Cloak's susceptibility to Moody's eye and the Wand's switch of allegiance to Dumbledore.

I think Moody's eye is also a factor in the equation because it appears to be a very powerful (and, as far as we know, unique) magical artifact. It has powers of its own that, it appears, can rival the incredible ability of the Cloak of Invisibility.
Quote:
Funnily enough, this is one occasion where going against Hermione's advice serves Harry well - if he hadn't gone to see Hagrid, he wouldn't have found out about the dragons.
And, of course, Harry following his own instincts in DH, regarding the Hallows vs. Horcruxes debate, also serves him very well. As Lupin says in DH, Harry's instincts "are good and nearly always right" (DH, pg. 441).
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315
I thought this passage was peculiar in Chapter Twenty:
Quote:
He felt much more aware of his body than usual; very aware of the way his heart was pumping fast, and his fingers tingling with fear...yet at the same time, he seemed to be outside himself, seeing the walls of the tent, and hearing the crowd, as though from far away....
GoF, U.S. Edition, page 352.
What, particularly, do you find so peculiar? How attuned Harry is to his body? Or how he felt both very contained within himself and, at the same time, distant?

For both, I think the simplest explanation is that it is simply a description of his nerves and anxiety. I believe it is an attempt by the narration to describe how being nervous can feel to some people. When nervous, I think it is common for people to have a more acute sense of their bodies, while also feeling distant from themselves. It is a juxtaposition of feelings, but not uncommon. I do not think it is a reference to Harry's connection with Voldemort (which may be part of your curiosity about this passage, I think). Out of context, one could say that the second part could be Voldemort looking at the First Task from afar, but I think it is purely a description of his nerves, without much extra significance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge
the quote on p. 352, GOF, seemed to echo wat was mentioned in DH when Harry was going into the forest. p. 694, DH, his heart was leaping against his ribs like a frantic bird. It's not exactly the same, but similar.
I think this is a very valid comparison. I believe the chief difference between the two is Harry's understanding and acceptance in The Forest Again. He has a more acute sense of himself and his surroundings, but he has accepted his fate and is clinging to life. The situations are different, and thus the nerves and emotions are correspondingly different, but they are also inherently founded upon the same principle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
It is good to see you back! We have attempted to keep up the Read-A-Thon as best we can, but it has fizzled on many occasions after restarting the series. Hopefully we can keep up the discussion, especially with the renewed interest in Harry Potter from Pottermore!
Quote:
Yeah, but I was asking about what happened to it after we see him place it on his nightstand.
In the HBP film, it is employed at Weasleys Wizard Wheezes to heat chocolate dragon eggs!

But I do not think we ever learn of its fate in the books. I would guess that it was lost through the years or discarded in DH when Harry was cleaning out his trunk.
Quote:
And when are we moving to the next chapters?

Also, the passage I mentioned earlier, I was thinking along the lines of the piece of Voldemort's soul inside his scar. Could this be first evidence of it residing there, since it makes it appear as though "someone" is watching from far away, even though Voldemort hadn't known about the connection yet?
We will move onto the next set of chapters today, if you would like! I apologize for the sporadic switch of chapter sets. I do not have reliable Internet access or a reliable schedule, so it is difficult me to facilitate discussion on new sets of chapters. Anyone can feel free to owl me if you would like a more administrative role with the Read-A-Thon.

As for the aforementioned passage, I answered most of that above, before I noticed this additional comment. As I said then, I do not think it is a reference to Harry's connection with Voldemort. I do not think the soul piece would be responsible for Harry having an outsiders' perspective on the upcoming task. I think it would make sense if Voldemort himself was looking at the First Task or looking into Harry's mind through Legilimency, but I see no evidence for that. No, I think that description is purely an explanation for how Harry was feeling his nerves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4
I've just been looking at how the champions dealt with their dragons and the marks they got. Cedric transfigured a stone into a dog but got burnt, Fleur put it to sleep but its snore burned her skirt, Krum hit it with a conjunctivitis curse and it trampled its eggs, Harry used his broom and got hit on the shoulder. Krum & Harry got top marks. Why? I think Fleur's method was the best and she didn't get hurt, just her skirt.
In addition to what has been said (and I do think that time had a factor in the allotted points), I think the champions were also judged based on their survival techniques and efficiency of their methods in applications to a real situation.

While Krum's curse did cause destruction of some of the eggs, in a real life situation this would not matter. Krum would be completely safe from the dragon.

Meanwhile, Fleur's technique ran the risk of serious injury. It was purely coincidental that only her skirt caught on fire; if she were a few steps over, her entire body may have been hit by the flames. Therefore, in a real face-to-face encounter with a dragon, Fleur's technique ran more risk of endangerment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by horcrux4
And why was she wearing a skirt to fight a dragon?
As others said, I think it was likely part of her school uniform or what she felt most comfortable in while facing a dragon. Opposed to the film, the champions do not appear to have had specific uniforms for the tasks.
Quote:
On another aspect, I think it's likely Cedric was the only one who came up with a solution on his own, or at least without adult help. I find it likely that Madame Maxime suggested that Fleur put the dragon into a trance, and that Karkaroff suggested the Conjunctivitis spell to Krum. After all, as they told their Champions what the task would be, they may well have mentioned ways they could use to get past a dragon.
This is true. In a way, Cedric (and Harry, though to a lesser extent because of Crouch's influence) was playing against Fleur plus Madame Maxime and Krum plus Karkaroff. Of course, while Maxime and Karkaroff were likely huge advisers for their champions, it was still up to the skill and ability of Fleur and Krum to execute. The maze is, I think, where Fleur and Krum's individual abilities were best tested, as Maxime and Karkaroff could only help so much.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old June 26th, 2011, 1:31 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Re: Read-a-Thon: GoF, Ch. 22-24

I don't think Harry meant it, but he actually thought about taking a ghost to the Yule Ball, Moaning Myrtle. I think she would enjoy it, but how could Harry dance with a ghost?

Old June 26th, 2011, 6:30 am
Third Year

Quote:
It is good to see you back! We have attempted to keep up the Read-A-Thon as best we can, but it has fizzled on many occasions after restarting the series. Hopefully we can keep up the discussion, especially with the renewed interest in Harry Potter from Pottermore!
Thanks! I'm excited to get back in the discussion. I'm actually almost all the way through the third, and have a road trip ahead of me tomorrow. I should be caught up within the next few days

Old June 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm
Third Year

Quote:
I don't think Harry meant it, but he actually thought about taking a ghost to the Yule Ball, Moaning Myrtle. I think she would enjoy it, but how could Harry dance with a ghost?
I really don't think he could. His hands would fall through her since she's not solid. It would be quite the challenge, lol.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old June 26th, 2011, 6:18 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Vicktor Krum thinks Hogwarts is comfortable, but Hogwarts is described as drafty. In winter, the students sometimes have to wear gloves becasue their hands are cold. Krum states that the fires are lit only for magical purposes. that's extreme isn't it? And not wanting other wizard to visit thier school. I can see the schools protected from Muggles, but from other magical folks?

Old June 26th, 2011, 8:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
Personally, I think it was extra protection of Harry given the looming turbulence. Dumbledore read the Muggle newspapers and new of Frank's disappearance, which occurred before the school year. Then, through Sirius, he also learned of Harry's dream at the beginning of GoF. I think Dumbledore would have compiled all of these signs into realizing that Voldemort was on the brink of returning. Thus, Moody was a good ally to have in Hogwarts - especially with an ex-Death Eater (no matter how cowardly or scared of Voldemort) at the school.
I agree that the rumours and mysterious events were a big part of the reason. I think he also heard of other things - for example, Bertha Jorkins disappeared in the country where Voldemort was hiding. Just to be technical, though, Harry didn't mention the dream in his letter to Sirius, just the pain in his scar. Also, Sirius wrote that the pain in Harry's scar was the latest in a series of strange rumours he had heard. Dumbledore would have heard even more of these rumours than Sirius, I think.

Quote:
I agree that she knows the types of stories that sell and that make a journalist known. She also realizes that the methods of producing those stories require her versions of stories. Here, though, it is debatable if she actually perceives her own writing style as twisting the truth or if it is the actual truth, to her.
I think Rita isn't too concerned whether she's writing about the truth or not - as she tells Hermione in OotP, the Prophet exists to sell itself. It doesn't matter to Rita whether she's telling the truth or not as long as it will sell papers, and enhance her reputation. I think she also figures that an exaggeration or thinly veiled accusation is more interesting and more newsworthy than the truth. I don't think she perceives them as truth - she isn't interested in the truth, if it doesn't serve her purposes well enough. After all, this is the reporter who said "Snappy start to a sentence, Bozo, we just need a story to fit it". (What were his parents thinking?!)

Quote:
In addition to what has been said (and I do think that time had a factor in the allotted points), I think the champions were also judged based on their survival techniques and efficiency of their methods in applications to a real situation.
Harry's technique, while successful, was very risky, too, though - he got an injury on his shoulder from the tail spikes, and he was playing a game of chance trying to distract the dragon.

Quote:
While Krum's curse did cause destruction of some of the eggs, in a real life situation this would not matter. Krum would be completely safe from the dragon.
Good point - Krum lost points because of the damage to the eggs, but he would have lost more points if he himself had been injured.

Quote:
This is true. In a way, Cedric (and Harry, though to a lesser extent because of Crouch's influence) was playing against Fleur plus Madame Maxime and Krum plus Karkaroff. Of course, while Maxime and Karkaroff were likely huge advisers for their champions, it was still up to the skill and ability of Fleur and Krum to execute. The maze is, I think, where Fleur and Krum's individual abilities were best tested, as Maxime and Karkaroff could only help so much.
While it was up to skill, once they got into the arena with the dragon, I can well imagine that Maxime and Karkaroff suggested spells that their student could use, helping them to play to their strengths, in the way Crouch/Moody did for Harry. The maze probably was the best test of their abilities. I wonder how much Maxime and Karkaroff were able to discover about the challenges in the maze?

Quote:
Vicktor Krum thinks Hogwarts is comfortable, but Hogwarts is described as drafty. In winter, the students sometimes have to wear gloves becasue their hands are cold. Krum states that the fires are lit only for magical purposes. that's extreme isn't it?
Yeah, it does seem extreme. From what Krum says, Durmstrang seems rather spartan.

Quote:
And not wanting other wizard to visit thier school. I can see the schools protected from Muggles, but from other magical folks?
I can see Karkaroff taking that attitude. He may have his own ideas about who is and isn't a worthy witch or wizard - he cautions Krum against letting Hermione know where to find them, and Karkaroff is a former DE, after all.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References