Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Read-a-Thon: GoF

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:44 pm
Third Year

Re: Read-a-Thon: DH, Ch. 25-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Chapter Thirty:
Why isn't Professor McGonagall head of Ravenclaw?
I assume because she was in Gryffindor as a student, perhaps like Hermione the sorting hat saw her bravery as a character trait more defining than intelligence. If a teacher had not been to Hogwarts as a student could they become a head of house? Would they have to be sorted again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki View Post
That was the 'Caterwauling Charm' which had been set to sound if anyone Apparated into Hogsmeade. I think the girls dormitory in Gryffindor Tower also has the same charm on it, except it's set to sound if a boy tries to go up the girls staircase.
I agree, good point about the girls dormitory I hadn't thought of that.

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2009, 2:57 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Had Dumbledore mentioned to Professor McGonagall that there was something Potter might need to do something at Hogwarts?
I think Dumbledore may have said something along these lines, although in a much more cryptic manner. His last words to Remus and Kingsley (?) were along the lines of "Trust in Harry. He is our last hope." Something similar may have been said to McGonagall, and I'm sure that she figured out that if Harry was risking his life to come back to Hogwarts, there was something that he needed to to there.

Quote:
How had Snape known that McGonagall had seen Harry?
Perhaps he deduced it from the alert Carrow sent out about an intruder? Having heard about the commotion in Hogsmeade as well, I think he would have figured it out.

Quote:
Why is it that just any wizard can fly? How powerful must one be to fly?
From McGonagall we learn that Snape learned to fly from Voldemort, and from the surprised expressed at the feat when Voldemort did it during the Seven Potters fiasco, it is clearly very rare, possibly even unique. It may be dark magic or an advanced spell that Voldemort discovered himself.

Quote:
What was the grim understanding that McGonagall and Sprout passed to each other?
Both teachers knew the sacrifices that might be made later that night, and so that grim understanding was that an impending battle was on the way, and they needed to prepare for it.

Quote:
What had been occupying Filch to make him forget about Peeves?
I think he was just shocked that McGonagall would ask him to get Peeves, of all people, especially since he had no idea what was going on.

Which leads to a question of my own, did Filch participate in the final battle?

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old November 20th, 2009, 6:05 am
Malum Veneficus

Oh I didn't realise you started discussing those chapters.

Ok, Chapter 28:

Is it possible that the presence of Dementors prevents apparition in and out of a place? Or have the DEs cast an anti apparition charm?

I wonder how Harry and the other two got into the pub without considering it to be a trap? They'd usually been too cautious.

What kind of potion and poisons were the DEs taking from the pub?

Was Dobby staying with Aberforth? Wasn't Dobby working at Hogwarts?

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old November 20th, 2009, 6:34 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Is it possible that the presence of Dementors prevents apparition in and out of a place? Or have the DEs cast an anti apparition charm?
I don't think so. The dementors may make the surroundings cold, suck out all positive feeling and stuff, but I don't think they prevented the trio's apparition. An anti-apparition charm is most likely. Like what's mentioned before, there was a Caterwauling Charm in the place to sound the Apparition of people in. So... it might have been casted right after hearing them apparate inside Hogsmeade.

Quote:
I wonder how Harry and the other two got into the pub without considering it to be a trap? They'd usually been too cautious.
I thought of that too, but since they were in a hectic situation, they didn't think of stopping first and think about it before entering, IMO.

"Intimacy is a four syllable word for, 'Here's my heart and soul, please grind them into hamburger, and enjoy.' It's both desired, and feared. Difficult to live with, and impossible to live without. Intimacy also comes attached to the three R's... relatives, romance, and roommates. There are some things you can't escape. And other things you just don't want to know." -- Meredith Grey

Hufflepuff
Old November 20th, 2009, 12:59 pm
Suteki da ne

The thing with getting into the pub- consider their other option. Going into a pub where they've actually been before, or facing up to Death Eaters. They had to risk it, because it would have been the Dementors and Death Eaters instead

If you change your mind
Old November 20th, 2009, 8:52 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315
Who had screamed when the trio apparated into Hogsmeade?
I also think the scream was produced by the Caterwauling Charm. It does not seem as if one of the Death Eaters had screamed "like Voldemort when he had realized the cup had been stolen." Therefore, it makes sense that the Caterwauling Charm caused the noise.
Quote:
I see McGonagall much more as Gryffindor than a Ravenclaw. While she is incredibly gifted, I think courage and chivalry are much more pronounced than intelligence in her character. The Sorting Hat clearly saw something like this, put her in Gryffindor, so she could not have be Ravenclaw's Head of House.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart
Quote:
Had Dumbledore mentioned to Professor McGonagall that there was something Potter might need to do something at Hogwarts?
I think Dumbledore may have said something along these lines, although in a much more cryptic manner. His last words to Remus and Kingsley (?) were along the lines of "Trust in Harry. He is our last hope." Something similar may have been said to McGonagall, and I'm sure that she figured out that if Harry was risking his life to come back to Hogwarts, there was something that he needed to to there.
I do not think McGonagall was told by Dumbledore that Harry needed to do something in Hogwarts:
DH, Ch. 30, The Sacking of Severus Snape, Pages 594-595, American, HB"Potter, it was madness, utter madness, for you to enter this castle -"
"Professor, I'm acting on Dumbledore's orders, I must find what he wanted me to find!...
"You're acting on Dumbledore's orders?" she repeated with a look of dawning wonder. Then she drew herself up to her fullest height.

Her emphasis on "Dumbledore," to me, suggests McGonagall had no idea Dumbledore had informed her of anything about Harry's search.

I can see how it could be read otherwise, though. The "dawning wonder" and emphasis on "Dumbledore" could indicate some realization by McGonagall about something Dumbledore had told her (and she had temporarily forgotten). However, as I read it, McGonagall is much too surprised and confused by Harry's presence for it to be likely that Dumbledore told her about Harry potentially returning to Hogwarts.
Quote:
How had Snape known that McGonagall had seen Harry?
I also think he deduced Harry was there, largely because of Alecto. Snape would know that Alecto was stationed to watch for Harry, and he also knew that Alecto would not send for Voldemort if she had not truly discovered Harry.

One related question:

What did Snape hope to accomplish by asking McGonagall, "Have you seen Harry Potter, Minerva? Because if you have, I must insist -" ? Should he not have realized that any inquiry about Harry would start a duel between he and Minerva?

I know this question is borderline out-of-bounds, given its relation to Snape. If discussion gets out of hand, I (or a mod) will try to end it.
Quote:
Why is it that just any wizard can fly? How powerful must one be to fly?
I agree with witchsmart that not "just any wizard can fly." In fact, most wizards cannot fly, it seems. I think it is likely that flying without any other support is something Voldemort accomplished and passed on to Snape. If Kingsley was shocked and scared by Voldemort's ability to fly, I think it is a very unique power created/utilized by Voldemort.
Quote:
What had been occupying Filch to make him forget about Peeves?
I agree with witchsmart, again, that Filch had not forgotten about Peeves, he was just so shocked that McGonagall told him to retrieve Peeves that Filch was speechless.

Am I the only one who thought Filch hobbling up saying, "Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!" was extremely funny? I love how JKR added bits of humor in such serious situations.
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart
I think so. I think Filch, however much he disliked students, had a close bond to the school and was not, overall, Dark. I think he would have done as much as he could after he oversaw the evacuation of the students. Perhaps he tried to do something where he incorporated his knowledge of the school's secret passageways?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93
I think the Death Eaters cast an anti-Apparition charm over Hogsmeade. After failing to Disapparate, the narration notes, "They could not Disapparate; the Death Eaters had cast their charms well" (DH, Ch. 28, Pg. 556). Then Aberforth also says, "Get right out of Hogsmeade, up into the mountains, and you'll be able to Disapparate there" (DH, Ch. 28, Pg. 560).

These two passages seem fairly clear, to me, that the Death Eaters had cast an anti-Apparition jinx on Hogsmeade.

However, I do think the presence of dementors could prevent some wizards from Apparating, if that wizard/witch was heavily affected by the dementors.
Quote:
Yes, they would usually be more cautions (at least, Hermione would), but the circumstances dictated that precaution to be discarded.
Quote:
What kind of potion and poisons were the DEs taking from the pub?
Aberforth said the Death Eaters were trafficking potions and poisons in the Hog's Head. To me, this suggests that they were simply using the Hog's Head as a location to trade/sell those potions, rather than them actually getting those items from Aberforth.

We know that there are Dark potions and poisons, so I expect those were what the Death Eaters were bartering. The reason they did not do this in the open was, in my opinion, they had to keep up appearances and prevent the Hogsmeade villagers from knowing exactly who they were/what they were doing (seeing as Voldemort's regime was supposed to be as silent as possible).
Quote:
Was Dobby staying with Aberforth? Wasn't Dobby working at Hogwarts?
I think Dobby was a key element in the D.A.'s refuge in the Room of Requirement, so Dobby likely interacted with Aberforth a lot. Perhaps Dobby had even found the passageway between the Room of Requirement and the Hog's Head before Neville?

On a related note: When do you think the passageway between the Room of Requirement and the Hog's Head was built? Who made it? Was the Hog's Head building there when Hogwarts was first founded? If not, when was that passageway added onto the castle? Or was it just part of the magic of the Room, accommodating those inside it?

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 20th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Pernicious Blood Traitor

Re: Read-a-Thon: DH, Ch. 28-30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by witchsmart View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
I think so. I think Filch, however much he disliked students, had a close bond to the school and was not, overall, Dark. I think he would have done as much as he could after he oversaw the evacuation of the students. Perhaps he tried to do something where he incorporated his knowledge of the school's secret passageways?
IMO, I don't believe that Filch participated in the battle, he was a squib so despite his knowledge he'd be a pretty easy target. His job was very specific, he was to oversee the evacuation of the students along with Madam Pomfrey. When Harry'd made it back there, Ginny, Tonks, and Augusta Longbottom were the only one's inside and Augusta had sealed the entrance so no others could return through it.

Then again, Mrs. Norris participated in the battle - sort of; she was batting at owls which had apparently come from the Owlery. It's hard to imagine him leaving his precious Mrs. Norris behind, and also - if the rumors of a romance are true - Madam Pince {who may or may not have been among the defenders of Hogwarts}.

What matters is not the length of the wand, but the magic in the stick.

"So that doesn't clear anything up but it elucidates what I believe. But I don't think it's necessarily going to convince people who have a strong feeling, one way or the other, on the matter. You know what, that's been the case with most of "Harry Potter". I gave my explanation and it just fuels more debate." ~ JK Rowling

'Here he took out the stone that had the power to recall the dead, and turned it thrice in his hand.' ~ Thrice...go Team CoCo.
Old November 21st, 2009, 5:35 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat_Suki
That was the 'Caterwauling Charm' which had been set to sound if anyone Apparated into Hogsmeade. I think the girls dormitory in Gryffindor Tower also has the same charm on it, except it's set to sound if a boy tries to go up the girls staircase.
That is very plausible. There is a difference between the noises, though. The girls' dormitory emitted "a loud, wailing, klaxonlike sound," and the charm in Hogsmeade caused "a scream that sounded like Voldemort's when he had realized the cup had been stolen: It tore at every nerve in Harry's body..." While the different sounds could be caused by different casters/intentions for the Caterwauling Charm (in my opinion, a Caterwauling Charm placed by the Death Eaters would sound much more frightening than one cast on a dormitory in Hogwarts), I partly think the sound from the girls' dormitory was made simply by the stairs melting together to make the stone slide.
Quote:
IMO, I don't believe that Filch participated in the battle, he was a squib so despite his knowledge he'd be a pretty easy target. His job was very specific, he was to oversee the evacuation of the students along with Madam Pomfrey. When Harry'd made it back there, Ginny, Tonks, and Augusta Longbottom were the only one's inside and Augusta had sealed the entrance so no others could return through it.
Yes, so this either means Filch left or he helped in the battle. We know Madam Pomfrey did not leave, even though she was one of the overseers of the evacuation. Yes, Filch is a Squib, so that adds a good reason why he would not stay behind. However, even without being able to do magic, I think Filch could have been useful in, at the least, helping the injured. With all the spells that were flying around, everyone was in danger. I do not think Filch was in that much more danger simply because he could not retaliate with spells of his own.
Quote:
Then again, Mrs. Norris participated in the battle - sort of; she was batting at owls which had apparently come from the Owlery. It's hard to imagine him leaving his precious Mrs. Norris behind, and also - if the rumors of a romance are true - Madam Pince {who may or may not have been among the defenders of Hogwarts}.
To me, this is the best evidence that Filch did remain behind - whether to help or simply hide. His actions in the previous books show that he has a very close bond with Mrs. Norris, and I do not think he would leave his cat unless forced to.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 22nd, 2009, 4:01 am
First Year

Quote:
One question from Chapter Twenty-eight:
Who had screamed when the trio apparated into Hogsmeade?
The Caterwauling Charm makes a high-pitched shriek when it's set off. No one in particular, just the alarm.

Quote:
Chapter Thirty:
Same reason Hermione isn't, I think. I don't know that reason, but good question.

Quote:
I'd think not, since she was so alarmed Harry was in the castle and she wanted him to flee as quick as he could.

Edit: Oops, sorry I was so late on these. Looking at wrong page.

Old November 22nd, 2009, 5:58 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
That is very plausible. There is a difference between the noises, though. The girls' dormitory emitted "a loud, wailing, klaxonlike sound," and the charm in Hogsmeade caused "a scream that sounded like Voldemort's when he had realized the cup had been stolen: It tore at every nerve in Harry's body..." While the different sounds could be caused by different casters/intentions for the Caterwauling Charm (in my opinion, a Caterwauling Charm placed by the Death Eaters would sound much more frightening than one cast on a dormitory in Hogwarts), I partly think the sound from the girls' dormitory was made simply by the stairs melting together to make the stone slide.
I didn't think it was a Caterwauling charm set on the girls' dormitory, either. Which makes me wonder if the Caterwauling Charm is only associated with apparition. In the first case it was broken when the Trio apparated into Hogsmead. . So it seemed to me that you have to apparate in a certain place in order to break it?

Quote:
What did Snape hope to accomplish by asking McGonagall, "Have you seen Harry Potter, Minerva? Because if you have, I must insist -" ? Should he not have realized that any inquiry about Harry would start a duel between he and Minerva?
I didn't foresee the battle at all. I think It was clear that Snape wasn't aiming at a battle, but he had to fight back when Minerva started it. As for Minerva, I think she would never have given Harry away. And since Snape was insisting on getting the truth out of her, I think she had to start the duel and send him away from her and Harry. .

Quote:
Am I the only one who thought Filch hobbling up saying, "Students out of bed! Students in the corridors!" was extremely funny? I love how JKR added bits of humor in such serious situations.
I found it rather funny as well. . Which makes me wonder about his reaction when the corridors were blown apart by the DEs and The Giants.

Quote:
On a related note: When do you think the passageway between the Room of Requirement and the Hog's Head was built? Who made it? Was the Hog's Head building there when Hogwarts was first founded? If not, when was that passageway added onto the castle? Or was it just part of the magic of the Room, accommodating those inside it?
I don't know about the establishment of the Hogshead. But I think it was a part of the Room's magic. I took it as an alternative the Room was making for providing food. Since it couldn't produce food it connected the occupants with a source of food.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 5:52 pm
Third Year

Quote:
That's an interesting question, I think that over the years many secret passages had been added to the castle so I'd assumed that the passageway from the hogshead had been there for many years but it was connected with a picture of Arrianna Dumbledore which suggests the passageway was created relatively recently

Quote:
I didn't think it was a Caterwauling charm set on the girls' dormitory, either. Which makes me wonder if the Caterwauling Charm is only associated with apparition. In the first case it was broken when the Trio apparated into Hogsmead. . So it seemed to me that you have to apparate in a certain place in order to break it?
Aberforth said that he had broken it by stepping out of his door so I think the caterwauling charm was enacted when someone stepped into the area it was set on, apparating or walking. I agree with you though, the charm on the girls dormintory seemed different to me.

Old November 23rd, 2009, 7:35 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
I didn't foresee the battle at all. I think It was clear that Snape wasn't aiming at a battle, but he had to fight back when Minerva started it. As for Minerva, I think she would never have given Harry away. And since Snape was insisting on getting the truth out of her, I think she had to start the duel and send him away from her and Harry. .
If this is true, then Snape showed an instance of blindness and ignorance in thinking that asking McGonagall about Harry Potter would not bring about a duel. I think this is entirely possible; Snape was no perfect, no matter how well he played his role.

I just wonder if anyone has any other ideas about what Snape was hoping to accomplish by asking Minerva about Harry. Was he just trying to make sure Harry was safe and not captured by the Carrows (if this is true, I think Snape also misjudged, since he could simply go see the Carrows to find out the same)? Any thoughts?
Quote:
I found it rather funny as well. . Which makes me wonder about his reaction when the corridors were blown apart by the DEs and The Giants.
To quote Filch, "To me it's an extra hour scrubbing" (CoS, Ch. 8, Pg. 126)!
Quote:
I don't know about the establishment of the Hogshead. But I think it was a part of the Room's magic. I took it as an alternative the Room was making for providing food. Since it couldn't produce food it connected the occupants with a source of food.
I think this is a very probable idea. The Room was made to accommodate any request made by the user. If it could not produce something (such as food), it would likely try to accommodate the user's needs by producing something that would lead to the "unproducible" substance.

However, given that Harry notes, "It looked as though the passageway had been there for years," I find it difficult to believe that the Room created the passageway when Neville required food. Instead, I think it more plausible that whomever built the Room of Requirement also built a passageway outside of Hogwarts, either to the Hog's Head or to nowhere (that is, the Room could decide where to connect the passageway). I think the latter is more possible, since it seems too coincidental if the passageway was only to the Hog's Head, which happened to be the only safe place in Hogsmeade that Neville could go.

WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 23rd, 2009, 9:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

If Ariana was 14 when she died, I wonder how she "knew" what to do as far as taking Neville and later other students thru the passageway. And I wonder if she ever talked to Aberforth.

Old November 24th, 2009, 12:23 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
If Ariana was 14 when she died, I wonder how she "knew" what to do as far as taking Neville and later other students thru the passageway. And I wonder if she ever talked to Aberforth.
This has always confused me. We know that portraits can interact with people, as seen in Dumbledore's office and in St. Mungo's. However, I believe there is a limit on how much these portraits can interact with others, which I think was mentioned in a response as to why Harry wouldn't just get portraits of his parents made and talk to them?

As far as her talking to Aberforth, I have a feeling that the "illness" that befell her after her encounter with the muggle boys left her without a will to speak or communicate much with others, and this was a trait that she carried on into her portrait-self, IMO.

Twins on a Train
Working With the Weasleys
No Chance
Runaway

Proud member of OFINOA (Obsessed Fans In Need Of Avatar)
Old November 24th, 2009, 3:33 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
That's how I see it too, it was fulfilling the requirement asked of it in the only way it could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMemory View Post
Aberforth said that he had broken it by stepping out of his door so I think the caterwauling charm was enacted when someone stepped into the area it was set on, apparating or walking. I agree with you though, the charm on the girls dormintory seemed different to me.
I think they were both alarms, designed to activate when someone went somewhere they didn't have permission to be. However, the one on the girls' dormitory was, I think, intended only to surprise and embarrass the boy in question as well as prevent him from going upstairs, whereas the Caterwauling Charm was intended to alert the Death Eaters on duty to the person breaking curfew and investigate.

Quote:
I just wonder if anyone has any other ideas about what Snape was hoping to accomplish by asking Minerva about Harry. Was he just trying to make sure Harry was safe and not captured by the Carrows (if this is true, I think Snape also misjudged, since he could simply go see the Carrows to find out the same)? Any thoughts?
I'm wondering if Snape was perhaps trying to provoke Harry into showing himself. He knows Harry has a quick temper and thought he could perhaps lead Harry to show himself by trying to intimidate Minerva. He can't really have expected Minerva to just hand him over - he knew how dedicated Minerva was to protecting her students - even technically former ones like Harry - and that she wouldn't hand anyone over to what she believed to be their death. Had he provoked Harry into revealing himself, he could have possibly carted him off and explained the situation to him -with the use of the memories. Though, even in this situation, I imagine McGonagall and the other Heads might have pursued and tried to intervene.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old November 25th, 2009, 4:39 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

We are starting the next chapters now, right?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 25th, 2009, 6:16 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
Had he provoked Harry into revealing himself, he could have possibly carted him off and explained the situation to him -with the use of the memories..
I'm not sure about this, really. But Snape wouldn't have told Harry where his true loyality lay at that point. Snape hadn't known yet that Voldemort was keeping Nagini close to him under protection. So I don't think Snape was trying to provoke Harry.

I agree with MrSleepyHead that Snape was trying to see if Harry had managed to escape the Carrows. He could've contacted or reached them, of course. So I assume he must've came across Minerva accidently.

Another possibility, is that he already knew that Harry had escaped Carrow's attempt to thwart him in the Ravenclaw Tower. And was following them to know why Harry was there and what was he actually risking his life for (which consists with his curiosity about the secrets Dumbledore was sharing with Harry.) as well as find out about Voldemort's next move.

----

I guess we should be starting the next chapters soon. So I'll start preparing the next chapter .

Old November 26th, 2009, 4:49 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Chapter Thirty-One:
  • Did Dumbledore ever question the Grey Lady about the Lost Diadem?
  • Why had the Grey Lady chosen Albania?
  • Was the tragic story of the Grey Lady known amongst the Hogwarts teachers? Was it part of Hogwarts, A History? What about the one that leans towards the "nastier aspects of the school"?
  • If Tom Riddle had hidden the diadem in the Room of Requirement, wouldn't he have noticed all the items that were hidden there by others, or were the other items collected after he left Hogwarts?
  • Who is the "pock-marked warlock" that Harry placed the tiara on the year before?
  • Why did the tiara look "ancient" and "discolored"?
  • How had Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle gotten into the Room of Requirement if Ginny was still inside?
  • Why was a "sparkling necklace" brought to our attention when it was being thrown with the tiara?

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old November 26th, 2009, 8:28 am
First Year

Quote:
Did Dumbledore ever question the Grey Lady about the Lost Diadem?
Most probably. It can be out of interest or he wants to know more about it (meaning before Voldemort collected it and such), or it may have been already related to Voldemort's horcruxes, IMO.

Quote:
Why did the tiara look "ancient" and "discolored"?
I'm not sure since I don't have the book with me, but I do think that it was either it already existed for a long time or because it had already made contact with the cursed fire.

Quote:
How had Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle gotten into the Room of Requirement if Ginny was still inside?
They were hidden somewhere near the Room of Requirement entrance. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure they weren't inside yet when Ginny was still in it.

Quote:
Why was a "sparkling necklace" brought to our attention when it was being thrown with the tiara?
I assumed that it may be some other object hidden by someone before in that room.

"Intimacy is a four syllable word for, 'Here's my heart and soul, please grind them into hamburger, and enjoy.' It's both desired, and feared. Difficult to live with, and impossible to live without. Intimacy also comes attached to the three R's... relatives, romance, and roommates. There are some things you can't escape. And other things you just don't want to know." -- Meredith Grey

Hufflepuff
Old November 26th, 2009, 3:46 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfrost View Post
Most probably. It can be out of interest or he wants to know more about it (meaning before Voldemort collected it and such), or it may have been already related to Voldemort's horcruxes, IMO.
I agree, Dumbledore did so much to find the horcruxes, if he suspected that the diadem could have been one of them I think it likely that he would seek out the Grey Lady's help to try and find it. I think the fact that Harry was able to get the information out of her where Dumbledore was not shows Harry's strength over Dumbledore, he was able to relate to the Grey Lady on a human level which I think shows the abilities he has which Dumbldore doesn't.

If Tom Riddle had hidden the diadem in the Room of Requirement, wouldn't he have noticed all the items that were hidden there by others, or were the other items collected after he left Hogwarts?
That's an inteesting question, how could you assume that you were the only one to know about a room which is completely filled with broken items and things that people have left? Perhaps it is just to demonstrate Voldemorts arrogance.
Perhaps though the room can become different places for different people, Fred and George said that when they wanted to hide somethng it became a small cupboard, perhaps Tom Riddle hid the horcrux in a similar room then the rooms magic transfers everything that is hidden into the larger room of 'hidden things'.

Quote:
I'm not sure about this, really. But Snape wouldn't have told Harry where his true loyality lay at that point. Snape hadn't known yet that Voldemort was keeping Nagini close to him under protection. So I don't think Snape was trying to provoke Harry.
I agree, I think Snape was reluctant to tell the entire truth to Harry, as it included so muchabout his own past. I think he inteneded only to do it at the very last minute. What would have happened if Snape had been unable to find Harry to transfer the memories?

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References