Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak

Questions about Animagi v. 2

Old August 7th, 2009, 5:48 am
First Year

Re: Animagus/Patronus, not the same?

Also, James, Sirius, and Peter probably weren't intending to roam around. They wanted to keep Remus company, not to explore. It was only after they became Animagi that they realised what the full potential of that choice was. I think, anyways... but I don't think that they got to choose.

Sponsored Links
Old August 7th, 2009, 5:52 am
First Year

Is McGonagal's patronus a cat?

Always.
Old August 7th, 2009, 6:01 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2green_eyes View Post
Is McGonagal's patronus a cat?
Yeah. She uses them to send messages to Slughorn, Flitwick, and Sprout
Spoiler: show
when Hogwarts is about to be attacked
in DH.

Hufflepuff
Old August 16th, 2009, 8:52 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googlie View Post
Actually I'm still of the opinion that you get to choose your Animagus form.
Why would James, Sirius and Pettigrew put in so much effort to try and become one if there was a good chance that they might end up becoming some small animal that can be attacked by a werewolf or a very large animal that can not go unnoticed in the school grounds. Their Animagus forms were perfect for them. James and Sirius could keep control on Lupin on full moon nights and Pettigrew's small form was useful to freeze the Whomping Willow. Don't you think it ia too much of a coincidence and a matter of great convenience that their forms were exactly what they'd have like to be? I feel they could choose...
This is the quote from the World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004:

Quote:
Q: When you turn into an Animagus, can you choose what animal you become? Or does this get "assigned" to you?

JKR: No, you can't choose. You become the animal that suits you best. Imagine the humiliation when you finally transform after years of study and find that you most closely resemble a warthog.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; August 16th, 2009 at 9:13 am.
Old August 29th, 2009, 8:00 pm
First Year

Path for animagus

Was wondering how hard the process is supposed to be. I am assuming fairly tough considering that not that many witch/wizards bother with it. Is it a question of skill? If so how is Rita Skeeter able to do it. Seems like she is a no talent hack.

Second question is weither or not the witch/wizard gets to choose their form, and if so what is allowed. Can an animagus become a unicorn/dragon/phoenix/basalisk ? Or is it restricted to regular animal archtypes.

If this was discussed ad nauseum prior to now I am sorry.

Old August 29th, 2009, 8:10 pm
Third Year

Re: Path for animagus

well, the Marauders managed to accomplish it while they were at Hogwarts, so it can't have been extraordinarily difficult. however, we know from things Hermione says that being an unregistered Animagus is an Azkaban-level crime, so this probably wasn't something that attracted people to become Animagi.

Old August 29th, 2009, 8:22 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberys View Post
Was wondering how hard the process is supposed to be. I am assuming fairly tough considering that not that many witch/wizards bother with it. Is it a question of skill? If so how is Rita Skeeter able to do it. Seems like she is a no talent hack.

Second question is weither or not the witch/wizard gets to choose their form, and if so what is allowed. Can an animagus become a unicorn/dragon/phoenix/basalisk ? Or is it restricted to regular animal archtypes.

If this was discussed ad nauseum prior to now I am sorry.
Well, Animagus transformations seem to be like the pinnacle of Transfiguration. Instead of transforming other objects, you're transforming yourself. I'd imagine the wizard would have to go slowly, transforming one body part, and then two, and then three, until the entire body has transformed and they can reverse and repeat the process instinctively. And Rita Skeeter has more talent than she lets on. She did manage to coax very vivid memories out of a senile Bathilda Bagshot, indicating a talent for either Legilimency or brewing Veritaserum. It's not hard to imagine her having enough talent for Animagus transformations, then.

I think the form one takes depends on one's inner nature. McGonagall loves cats, and thus she transforms into one herself. Sirius is a very loyal friend, and thus he'd transform into "man's best friend." James is the leader of the Marauders, and the stag is a symbol of royalty and leadership. Peter is a traitor, and a rat is a colloquialism for such. I'm not sure, but I think Animagi are limited to becoming non-magical animals.

Proud Member of Gryffindor
The Marauders: The Beginning of the End
Feedback

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others."
--Aristotle
Old August 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm
Second Year

I don't think that you couldn't transform into a Magical creature, but it's more of you shouldn't. My theory is that in the past, some wizards wanted to turn into dragons, hippogrifs, etc, but ended in desastruous results. Either they succeded, but then they couldn't turn back into humans anymore and their minds were of the creature's. OR, they managed to transform half way through and the effect was ireversable.

And I've read somewhere in a fanfic, in which Dumbledore and Lupin wanted Harry to learn to become an Animagus. Lupin gave Harry a potion to drink, to see in what animal he will turn into. He was a grey horse.

Old August 29th, 2009, 9:02 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Questions about Animagi v. 2

I think JK Rowling mentioned somewhere that wizards don't get to choose their animagus forms.

Old August 30th, 2009, 6:39 am
First Year

was that in an interview or in one of the books. if it was a book please do site the reference.

Old August 30th, 2009, 7:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberys View Post
was that in an interview or in one of the books. if it was a book please do site the reference.
World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004:
Quote:
Q: When you turn into an Animagus, can you choose what animal you become? Or does this get "assigned" to you?

JKR: No, you can't choose. You become the animal that suits you best. Imagine the humiliation when you finally transform after years of study and find that you most closely resemble a warthog.
-edit-
Becoming an animagus does not appear to be so easy either; notice she says 'after years of study'.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; August 30th, 2009 at 12:06 pm.
Old September 1st, 2009, 10:27 am
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
World Book Day Chat, March 4, 2004:

-edit-
Becoming an animagus does not appear to be so easy either; notice she says 'after years of study'.
Hmm, I never thought Peter's transformation to a rat was a coincidence. I always thought the other three forced him to turn into a rat or a small animal. So he could touch the Whomping Willow's trunk whenever they wanted to get in. I thought they'd been using him.
However that shows how lucky they all were. If Peter had turned into a big animal like the others, they'd have faced kind of a problem while getting into the tunnel..

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 1st, 2009, 5:43 pm
Keeper of the Mignon Eggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93 View Post
Hmm, I never thought Peter's transformation to a rat was a coincidence. I always thought the other three forced him to turn into a rat or a small animal. So he could touch the Whomping Willow's trunk whenever they wanted to get in. I thought they'd been using him.
However that shows how lucky they all were. If Peter had turned into a big animal like the others, they'd have faced kind of a problem while getting into the tunnel..
Except that Jo has made it clear that you can't chose. It's your character that determines what animal you'll be as an animagus.
Edinburgh "cub reporter" press conference, ITV, 16 July 2005Robert Dawson for Asda - If you were an animagus, what would you like to be?

JK Rowling: This always amuses me this idea. You see, you do not know what you are going to be until you have done it, so you might spend half a decade trying to turn into an animal and then find out you were a slug or something, which would be most unpleasant.

Last edited by Alastor; September 1st, 2009 at 6:22 pm.
Old September 1st, 2009, 6:13 pm
First Year

Maybe they should have thought about his transformation a little closer, he does rather suit the animal. Although not to give rats too bad of a name, they are intelligent, lice infested creatures.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 9:46 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBB View Post
Maybe they should have thought about his transformation a little closer, he does rather suit the animal. Although not to give rats too bad of a name, they are intelligent, lice infested creatures.
They never, ever made that connection, else he wouldn't have been made the Potters' Secret Keeper IMO.

'Oh bugger, Peter's turned into a rat!'

'Good, he can sneak up to the Weeping Willow's knot, and let us into the tunnel!'

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; September 3rd, 2009 at 6:11 am.
Old September 7th, 2009, 7:32 am
Malum Veneficus

I've had a question about transformation.. Is it necessary to have a wand in order to turn into an animal? It's mentioned in some occasions that the transformer needs a wand. Peter used a wand 'behind his back' when he fled from Sirius after the Potters' death. Also in PoA, he needed a wand to turn into a rat and flee again. Yet, when Sirius escaped Azkaban, he didn't have a wand and he could transform into a dog.

I don't know if it could work either way, or if there was kind of mistake there.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old September 7th, 2009, 2:12 pm
Snidget of Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellatrix93
It's mentioned in some occasions that the transformer needs a wand. Peter used a wand 'behind his back' when he fled from Sirius after the Potters' death. Also in PoA, he needed a wand to turn into a rat and flee again.
On these occasions, I believe Peter was using the wand to use other magic:
PoA, Ch. 19, The Servant of Lord Voldemort, Page 363, American, HB"Then, before I could curse him, he blew apart the street with the wand behind his back, killed everyone within twenty feet of himself - and sped down into the sewer with the other rats..."

In this scenario, Peter used "the wand behind his back" to kill the Muggles - not to transform into an animal.
PoA, Ch. 20, The Dementor's Kiss, Page 381, American, HBPettigrew had dived for Lupin's dropped wand. Ron, unsteady on his bandaged leg, fell. There was a ban, a burst of light - and Ron lay motionless on the ground. Another bang - Crookshanks flew into the air and back to the earth in a heap.
"Expelliarmus!" Harry yelled, pointing his own wand at Pettigrew; Lupin's wand flew high into the air and out of sight. "Stay where you are!" Harry shouted, running forward.
Too late. Pettigrew had transformed.

Here, Peter uses Lupin's wand to jinx Ron and Crookshanks. He transformed after he was disarmed.

Therefore, given that Sirius did not have a wand when he transformed in Azkaban, and the two above scenarios also did not require wands, I think it is fairly clear that wands are not needed for the Animagus transformation. I think you can certainly wield a wand during the transformation, but it does not seem like a particular spell is needed.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old September 7th, 2009, 2:23 pm
First Year

I'd probably turn into either a cheetah, a stag, or a dog

Old September 12th, 2009, 6:42 pm
Sixth Year

I wonder if there is a way to know beforehand what animal you would turn into. I wouldn't want to spend years studying and end up transforming into a mosquito.

Old September 12th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Always Indy's Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbrother View Post
I wonder if there is a way to know beforehand what animal you would turn into. I wouldn't want to spend years studying and end up transforming into a mosquito.
I don't think one would know it before hand. Whether it is a mosquito or a phoenix, one would know it only when one changes for the first time.

There is nothing of which every man is so afraid, as getting to know how enormously much he is capable of doing and becoming - Soren Kierkegaard

Spotlight on Snape and Molly

:indy:
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak