Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

The deleted scenes we've never seen...

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:09 am
First Year

Re: Deathly Hallows Deleted Scenes

It was my understanding before the release that there was a shot of Bella using the cruciatus on Hermione. I cant exactly remember where I heard it but I know I did. Perhaps that will be included.
Anyways, I know its frustrating that small, yet important scenes were cut because of the time constraint i.e. Dudley's retribution, Lillys letter etc. but I'd say given the 2 1/2 hour time constraint they did a pretty good job picking out the scenes to leave and the scenes to cut. I just wonder why the studio couldnt have given them a longer run time because at 2.5 hours another fifteen or twenty minutes woundnt hurt.

Sponsored Links
Old November 22nd, 2010, 1:21 pm
Registered Animagus

I agree. I really think they needed more in the camping scenes. They needed to show Ron's jealousy a little more and Hermione's attachment to Ron. I felt like the camping was so rushed. We arrived at Ron's leaving after a montage of five quick shots.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 1:56 pm
Registered Animagus

Saw this on Imdb

David Yates talks about the deleted scenes we'll get in the DVD:

The Ron/Hermione rock-throwing scene
A scene between Harry and Aunt Petunia
Harry and Ron trying to chase the bunny for food

Starts around 5:45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08HKeSCBoUM

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:39 pm
First Year

Wow, it's been over 7 years without posting here!!! I couldn't remember which username (I've been using NaBUru38 for years) or password I had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chudleycanons View Post
I just wonder why the studio couldnt have given them a longer run time because at 2.5 hours another fifteen or twenty minutes woundnt hurt.
It's not just time. Sometimes, scenes are cut because they break the flow or tone of the film. At least they put them in the discs.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:43 pm
First Year

Hopefully we'll get extended versions at the 25 year anniversary of Sorceror's stone, or something like that. Lucas did it for Star Wars(not saying they were better however)

Old November 22nd, 2010, 6:23 pm
Sixth Year

I'm looking forward to this deleted Ron/Hermione scene They said it was very funny and touching, but was cut because it didn't fit in with the tone of the film. Also, Yates said there will be about 10-15 minutes of extra footage on the DVD.

Pottermore: SnidgetCharm86
Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:30 pm
Third Year

I'm glad the Ron/Hermione stone scene will be on the DVD, but the fact that it was cut because it didn't fit the "tone" of the movie makes no sense to me. There were certain other scenes, or a scene that didn't fit the tone of the movie, but he kept that in.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:40 pm
Registered Animagus

I actually think they needed at least one Ron/Hermione on their own scene before he left. If there was anything that i thought was a little weird pacing wise that would be it. I think they needed to make Ron leaving seem more reasonable and yet at the same time unreasonable by showing the Ron/Hermione relationship. Though they have been showing Ron/Hermione since the beginning.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:43 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
I actually think they needed at least one Ron/Hermione on their own scene before he left. If there was anything that i thought was a little weird pacing wise that would be it. I think they needed to make Ron leaving seem more reasonable and yet at the same time unreasonable by showing the Ron/Hermione relationship. Though they have been showing Ron/Hermione since the beginning.
I agree. They hardly ever get any scenes just the two of them, and they actually film one, but cut it because it doesn't fit the tone. Yet Hermione cutting Harry's hair and that dance fit the tone just fine I guess. I mean I try not to make everything a conspiracy theory because I know it makes me sound ridiculous, but I can't believe this scene didn't fit the tone.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:49 pm
First Year

I wanted to see Harry seeing his Mom's letter.. Not having it might imply Snape not having the other half. If Snape's scene is not EXACTLY like the book I am going to be pretty sad (at least in terms of encompassing everything). To me thats the saddest scene in the books.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:29 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
I agree. They hardly ever get any scenes just the two of them, and they actually film one, but cut it because it doesn't fit the tone. Yet Hermione cutting Harry's hair and that dance fit the tone just fine I guess. I mean I try not to make everything a conspiracy theory because I know it makes me sound ridiculous, but I can't believe this scene didn't fit the tone.
See the thing with the dance is although many feel it's out of place, so why is that included whereas this extra Hermione/Ron scene isn't included?

I think it goes back with overall flow and tone. The dance scene had somber, quiet, and sad tone to it. Whereas Hermione/Ron's scene is supposedly funny. I can understand why the dance worked, but the skipping stone scene wasn't included. Although it would've been nice to see

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurseCruciatus View Post
After reading this thread, I've suddenly realized how much was cut out and how much they tried to "lighten" it up. I know it's completely out of question, but I really wouldn't mind if they split it into 3 parts, especially since there's at least triple the amount of content in DH as there is in PS/SS or CoS.
I was just thinking the exact same thing!

...but GRYFFINDOR on Pottermore
Wand: Vine and Unicorn core, 12 1/4 inches, hard

If you want to add me on Pottermore, just send me an Owl
Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:41 pm
Registered Animagus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desecrate View Post
I wanted to see Harry seeing his Mom's letter.. Not having it might imply Snape not having the other half. If Snape's scene is not EXACTLY like the book I am going to be pretty sad (at least in terms of encompassing everything). To me thats the saddest scene in the books.
It is very unlikely that it is going to be exactly like the book. I think that is something that people need to accept.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 8:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by decarus View Post
It is very unlikely that it is going to be exactly like the book. I think that is something that people need to accept.
Yeah, I realized this after seeing GoF I don't expect a scene to come out exactly like the book, that way I'm not disappointed. And because I tend to watch the movies on its own merit.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:02 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_is_might View Post
See the thing with the dance is although many feel it's out of place, so why is that included whereas this extra Hermione/Ron scene isn't included?

I think it goes back with overall flow and tone. The dance scene had somber, quiet, and sad tone to it. Whereas Hermione/Ron's scene is supposedly funny. I can understand why the dance worked, but the skipping stone scene wasn't included. Although it would've been nice to see
Well I will always think the dance was unnecessary. Lol. I just don't see how a nice sweet scene with Ron and Hermione alone was so out of tune with the rest of the film, but at least it will be on the dvd.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:46 pm
First Year

Im glad that Ron/Hermione scene will be on the dvd. I love the picture of them from that scene. I wish this movie could have been longer to see all these extra scenes.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 11:38 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin6 View Post
Well I will always think the dance was unnecessary. Lol. I just don't see how a nice sweet scene with Ron and Hermione alone was so out of tune with the rest of the film, but at least it will be on the dvd.
I understand because I know a lot of people would've liked to see this scene. I would've. It would've been a nice tension breaker. But at the same time, the editors felt it didn't fit in.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 3:20 am
Registered Animagus

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/165...19/story.jhtml

Yates discusses the Ron/Hermione deleted scene, and length of deleted scenes.

Quote:
"Now that filmgoers have finally had the opportunity to feast their eyes on “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1,” it’s time for the inevitable overanalyzing of what didn’t make the cut — specifically for the “Potter” fanatics, which pages in the book didn’t make the film version.

When MTV News caught up with director David Yates, we asked him what cuts were particularly hard for him to make and which of those will end up on the DVD extras.

“There are a couple of things that we’ve lost that just didn’t quite survive,” he said. “I did this wonderful scene between Hermione and Ron. I wanted to explore their relationship a little bit more, so when Ron leaves it really breaks your heart.

“There was a scene we shot up in Scotland; it’s a scene where Ron is showing Hermione how to throw a stone on a lake, how to spin a stone on the lake, and Hermione is being really girly about it. She’s got a really rubbish throw, and she has to insist that Ron show her how to spin the stone to sort of entice tactility and physical contact, and it’s a really funny, tender and moving scene,” Yates described. “They’re both very funny in it, but it ended up on the DVD because the overall tone of our film, as you know, is quite intense.”

Yates went on to say that he had the scene in the film, but it just didn’t quite fit. “We tried to keep as much of the stuff we felt was important as possible,” he said.

Luckily for fans wanting to see that scene, they can look for it on the DVD.

“The DVD extras, I would guess there is about 10 or 12 or 15 extra minutes,” Yates revealed.”

Old November 23rd, 2010, 3:23 am
Sixth Year

At least we'll get to see it then Although I wonder which scenes they aren't going to include.

I don't remember where I read it, but there was a longer Malfoy Manor scene with Bellatrix and Hermione. I'd like to see that only because I felt that whole scene was a little too short.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 3:28 am
Third Year

10-15 minutes! Hooray!!!

(PS that scene sounds like it could be a very sweet moment between the two or a very forced scene)

"We spent time here, we made friends here. Thatís a part of us.
Because Hogwarts is bigger than any of us, itís bigger than any of its Founders.
And it's gonna be around here long after weíre gone. Maybe weíll see our kids go here.
Thatís the thing about Hogwarts: no matter how long youíre away from it, thereís always a way back."
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies