Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Old July 25th, 2007, 4:00 pm
Third Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape View Post
Is it? UM... Patil twins - One Gryffindor and one Ravenclaw... I doubt belonging to the same family means you end up in the same house is some kind of rule.

I certainly wouldn't want to end up in the same house as a couple of my Siblings ... who I know would be Gryffindors. I don't get on with one very well ... I would want to be as far away from him as possible, but that's me personally.

Also Albus fear's stemmed from his bratish horrible brother's teasing. Seems like I'll never like a James Potter eh?
It was a joke...

Daniel Radcliffe: "I wish there was more of David Tennant in Goblet of Fire.
He's only got a few scenes and he's brilliant in all of them. He's so absolutely, fantastically watchable."
To which the fangirls say amen!!!
Sponsored Links
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:27 pm
Fourth Year

Well, I was teased by my siblings and cousins; as well as being bullied at school, and some part of my adult life .. I don't call ANY kind of teasing a joke!

I don't think Harry was too pleased with James's treatment of Albus either ... in fact I see that teasing as a reason for Albus to remain clear of Gryffindor. He seemed the more quiet, shy, unsure willing to prove himself type.

"A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to look out for!"

I trust Severus Snape!
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Well, I was teased by my siblings and cousins; as well as being bullied at school, and some part of my adult life .. I don't call ANY kind of teasing a joke!

I don't think Harry was too pleased with James's treatment of Albus either ... in fact I see that teasing as a reason for Albus to remain clear of Gryffindor. He seemed the more quiet, shy, unsure willing to prove himself type.
I meant what I said was a joke! You took it literally instead of in the silly way it was meant. I didn't really think there was a rule about them all being in the same house together I just meant there seems to be some unspoken law that says Weasleys all end up in the same house and of the 3 members of the Potter family that we know about (I'm counting Lily as a Potter here) all 3 ended up in Griffindor too. I was joking therefore that there was some sort of rule that said they all had to go in the same house.

As for siblings teasing each other... It's a fact of life I'm afraid anyone with brothers and sisters knows that you both suffer and make them suffer as kids. I made my sisters life hell (and she did the same in return) but we still love each other and are now the best of friends. I don't think that that's a reason not to be in the same house. It didn't put Ron or Ginny off wanting to be Griffindors after all...

He's only got a few scenes and he's brilliant in all of them. He's so absolutely, fantastically watchable."
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:50 pm
Fourth Year

Well, it would put me off thats for certain! There's one of my siblings I barely get on with, and feel calmer when he's not around, so I wouldn't want to be in the same house as him.

Also, I don't see Albus being particularly Gryffindor ... I thought he seemed a bit - detached, away from James - I certainly felt for little Albus, I know exactly what that's like.

As for Siblings teasing each other - I know it's a fact of life, but the sibling and cousins that teased me and made me feel alien were not bullied at school, I was getting it from ALL sides.

I don't think Albus would have been comfortable being in Gryffindor where it was clear James was the boss .. I see him as the ultimate symbol of the fact that now, the houses have united and therefore he would be in Slytherin, whether James liked it or not.

"A dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. It's the honest ones you have to look out for!"

I trust Severus Snape!
Old July 25th, 2007, 4:51 pm
Sirius' Girl

He is, after all, an ASP -- a very venoumous snake

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:06 pm
Second Year

I'm thinking that he would probably be in Gryfindor but i can clearly see him making many Syltherin friends which is good.
I love the talk that Harry gave him before he got on the train; definatly shows that harry made an excellent father.
I really hope that Jo continues on with this character. Cause after all she just said that there would probably be only 7 Harry Potter books...but she didnt say anything about Albus Potter books..

In denial that JKR didn't win TIME's Person of the Year!
She did come in first in the online votes!

I'm part of the 8% of teens that rock out every day.

It's not anywhere close to being enough, but Thank You Jo!
Old July 25th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Second Year

Personally, I'm really surprised that there still ARE houses. Didn't it say somewhere at the end of DH (not in the Epilogue), right after Voldemort was killed, that all the students were sitting in whichever table they wanted, instead of at their house tables? That gave me the impression that the school was truly uniting and that they would finally stop dividing the school.

But, since there are still houses, I think Albus could only go into Slytherin if he wants to, which I highly doubt. I think he would be in Gryffindor. But he might just befriend Malfoy's son on the train or something. That WOULD be interesting...

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:34 pm
First Year

Quote:
Well, it would put me off thats for certain! There's one of my siblings I barely get on with, and feel calmer when he's not around, so I wouldn't want to be in the same house as him.

Also, I don't see Albus being particularly Gryffindor ... I thought he seemed a bit - detached, away from James - I certainly felt for little Albus, I know exactly what that's like.
I don't think that necessarily means he'll be in slytherin. All those points could be applied to Ron and yet he was still in Gryffindor overshadowed and bullied respectively by his many older brothers. I think his and Harry's dialogue points to him, not necessarily being in Gryffindor but probably not in Slytherin. He is fearfull of being put in Slytherin. When Harry tells him he can choose I'm betting he will choose to be in another house, quite possibly Gryffindor since he looks up to his dad so much.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:39 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracezilla06 View Post
Personally, I'm really surprised that there still ARE houses. Didn't it say somewhere at the end of DH (not in the Epilogue), right after Voldemort was killed, that all the students were sitting in whichever table they wanted, instead of at their house tables? That gave me the impression that the school was truly uniting and that they would finally stop dividing the school.
There was also the fact that Dumbledore said maybe we sort to soon... I really think she should have got rid of it for the epilogue.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:44 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
However there were no Slytherins in that scene and it was implied many went to aid Voldemort.

Old July 25th, 2007, 5:52 pm
First Year

"Albus Severus Potter initials spell ASP, which is a type of snake; personally, I'd love it if he did and become best friends with Scorpius. " [Qtd. from original post by Hermione_Snape yesterday]

A-S-P . . . that is brilliant. I didn't realize . . .

Last edited by Pixie_C; July 25th, 2007 at 5:56 pm. Reason: accidentally edited out the source . . . sorry!
Old July 25th, 2007, 6:05 pm
First Year

How about this?

Albus Severus Potter is the new Voldemort and James Potter is forced to kill him? Or something along those lines.

Old July 25th, 2007, 8:27 pm
First Year

Quote:

Well, I don't think there is going to be as much house rivalry as there was before. It seems more or less that the houses are simply there to separate the students into groups based on qualities. The tension has most likely eased.

Old July 26th, 2007, 1:16 am
First Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverMonday View Post
That's the way I feel too. After reading the end of the book, I couldn't help but feel very sympathetic toward Snape, but when I stopped to think about it later, I realized that there was no reason to love Snape. It did turn out that he remained on the good side the whole time and sacrificed a lot for Dumbledore and the Order and Harry, but saying that he's the bravest man he knew is taking it a little far. Harry seems to have entirely forgotten the six years he spent with Snape and their mutual loathing and everything Snape's done to him.

James and Sirius would be extremely upset if they knew that Harry had named one of his sons after Snivellus. He has not yet named any of his children after Sirius, Remus, or Fred (if Ginny miraculously got a say in naming her kids) all worthy men. I think it was a waste to give up on such a worthy feud/rivalry. I think Snape was the one who decided to extend his loathing to Harry. I think it was not a wise choice to name his son after Snape and say he was the bravest man he ever knew (which I vehemently dispute) unless he is implying that Snape was a better man than James or Sirius. Now I know that James and Sirius weren't perfect, but placing Snape above them is a great dishonor to their memory.
I see where you're going with this but at the same time, I find it incredibly hard to believe that this would upset James and Sirius. I think that they would be able to see the good in Snape, just as Harry has. I think the whole point of Harry and Ginny giving Severus as a middle name to Al was to underline the fact that some grudges aren't worth holding on to. I don't think Harry will ever forget the treatment he received from Snape, and I don't think he'll ever forget the treatment he gave either. I think the mistreatment on both sides highlights how exceptional Snape really was in protecting Harry all along, despite the way he must have felt about it. I also think Ginny would have had a MAJOR say in what the kids were named... I don't see her bowing down on anything if she had a strong enough feeling about it. I would think she would have understood Harry's need to honor those who had meant so much to him.

Old July 26th, 2007, 4:32 am
Fifth Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixBird View Post
I see where you're going with this but at the same time, I find it incredibly hard to believe that this would upset James and Sirius. I think that they would be able to see the good in Snape, just as Harry has. I think the whole point of Harry and Ginny giving Severus as a middle name to Al was to underline the fact that some grudges aren't worth holding on to. I don't think Harry will ever forget the treatment he received from Snape, and I don't think he'll ever forget the treatment he gave either. I think the mistreatment on both sides highlights how exceptional Snape really was in protecting Harry all along, despite the way he must have felt about it. I also think Ginny would have had a MAJOR say in what the kids were named... I don't see her bowing down on anything if she had a strong enough feeling about it. I would think she would have understood Harry's need to honor those who had meant so much to him.

I agree with you on your major points - Ginny would never had bowed down, but I think she would have given her whole-hearted approval.
I'd also like to point out that we have no idea what James' and Lily's middle names are, and for all we know, they might have been James Sirius and Lily Nymphadora or something to that extent (I wouldn't have named my child after Lupin or Tonks personally, however, because they had their own child who had lived, and that's his right to name his own child after his parents if he so chooses).
I also think that when Harry named his kid after Severus, he was honoring not only the man who risked everything to keep him alive, but also the love that Snape had for Lily - a love that went unhonored for a very long time (whether fairly or unfairly is another matter, in my opinion, since part of the disfavor he found with Lily was certainly his own fault).
I also think that Snape was probably not the bravest character in the book, as there were many others who were willing to risk everything for either Harry or for something on the side of right, but he was definately on up there. I equate him with the Weasleys, who knew that their family could be torn apart and fought on anyway, or with the (good) teachers in the school, who stayed on to try to offer some protection to their students and then who fought so valiantly to the very end.
I wouldn't have named my own kid after Snape, but I support Harry and Ginny's choice to do so, and their son might just be better off because of it.

"I am having that kind of day where if the winds blow in a different direction, I am reduced to a gelatinous mass of tear-soaked silly-putty, caterwauling in a heap until someone spoon-feeds me chocolate and tells me I'm pretty."

...anyone got any M&Ms?
Old July 26th, 2007, 4:43 am
Fourth Year

I find interesting that the son the inherited Lilly's & Harry's eyes was the one that ended up with "Severus" as a middle name. Although, it would've been extremely ridiculous to name the other kid James Severus Potter ...

As for Harry selecting Severus name for one of his kids ...
Snape, as insoportable and detestable (I won't cut him slack) he was to Harry and even though I think he only came to the right side for Lilly (and not anyone else), was a brave man and he was key to Harry's ultimate survival. I don't think Harry's choice goes a lot deeper than that.

I think Albus Severus would be a Gryffindor, as it is his wish to be.
Harry was just trying to let him see that it doesn't really matter in which house he is. I still think that Albus Severus choosed Gryffindor, just as his dad.

Quote:
It is our choices, Harry, that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities." -- Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets)

Sig made by the awesome cybobbie

You wish we were in your House

The ASP at Hogwarts, Hogwarts Staff Meeting and The Prince of Hogwarts (An ASP at Hogwarts prequel): All by Inkwolf

Last edited by GinnyIsGenius; July 26th, 2007 at 4:56 am.
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:40 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
I think Albus Severus would be a Gryffindor, as it is his wish to be. Harry was just trying to let him see that it doesn't really matter in which house he is. I still think that Albus Severus choosed Gryffindor, just as his dad.
THANK YOU!!!! That last bit was very important. dumbledore says something when harry tells him that the hat wanted to put him into slytherin, but he said that he didn't want to go to slytherin, which is why he is different from voldemort.

"Do you remember me telling you we are practicing nonverbal spells, Potter?"
"Yes," said Harry stiffly.
"Yes, sir."
"There's no need to call me 'sir,' Professor."
Old July 26th, 2007, 8:40 pm
Third Year

Guys I think it was meant to show that it didn't matter where he was palced. That's why Harry told him Snape was bravest man he ever knew yet, he was placed in Slytherin with that obvious Gryffindor quality.

But do you guys notice that we have six pages of a character that we hardly know but only two pages of Harry Potter. I think Albus needs a book of his own eh.

DO YOU JUST LOVE LUPIN AND TONKS?
DO YOU THINK THAT THEY WILL BREAK UP?
ARE YOU A SNAPE FAN?

IF YOU ANSWERED YES TO THESE QUESTIONS, CHANCES ARE YOU WILL LOVE MY FAN FICTION CALLED THE BOARDING HOUSE.

READ IT HERE.
Old July 26th, 2007, 9:47 pm
Secret Keeper

I really don't care where he is placed. If he is placed in Slytherin, Harry obviously doesn't care. If he is, it'll be like the opposite of Sirius, the sole gryffindor in an all slytherin family. After all, all the weasleys are gryffindors. It would be cool if he became friends with Scorpius. Harry is more forgiving, Ron said he would disinherit his children if they went into Slytherin, but i think he was kidding.

Quote:
Guys I think it was meant to show that it didn't matter where he was palced. That's why Harry told him Snape was bravest man he ever knew yet, he was placed in Slytherin with that obvious Gryffindor quality.

But do you guys notice that we have six pages of a character that we hardly know but only two pages of Harry Potter. I think Albus needs a book of his own eh.
That's a good point, but I don't really think he needs a book entirely his own.

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old July 26th, 2007, 11:09 pm
Third Year

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Even though I was under the impression that James was just trying to scare Albus Potter and that he would certainly be sorted into Gryffindor, is it possible that he actually ended up in Slytherin?

"It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way."

"The greatest griefs are those we cause ourselves."
Aristotle

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References