Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:58 am
First Year

Re: Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
To Lisbeth and personification: Albus being scared of being sorted into Slytherin isn't a matter that's open to interpretation; it's something that JKR specifically states/conveys within the course of the Epilogue; it's the entire reason that Harry tells Al that he can ask the Hat to put him into a specific House and it will take his request into consideration; it's also the entire reason that he also tells Al that, even if Al IS sorted into Slytherin, he (Harry) and Ginny will still love him. If you missed that, then you really need to re-read the Epilogue and pay closer attention.
O.o Oy. First: Lia Beth.

Second: I didn't dispute that he was afraid to be sorted into Slytherin. I disputed his reason for being afraid of being sorted into Slytherin. He's afraid of disappointing his father, who (I think) it's clear that Albus really looks up to and admires. I think that a strong argument could be made that Albus thinks that he's going to be sorted into Slytherin, which is why he asks Harry what would happen if he was.

Talk about re-reading something more carefully. Sheesh!

Sponsored Links
Old November 20th, 2010, 10:37 am
First Year

DigificWriter you totally misunderstood what I and Liabeth were trying to say.

I was merely pointing out that it was because of James' teasing that Albus was so scared of getting sorted into Slytherin rather than something that his parents had sad to him.

Old November 20th, 2010, 10:40 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Okay peeps, time out. Respect each others views and don't tell another member what they have to do. Thanks.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old November 20th, 2010, 11:21 pm
Fifth Year

Sorry, but I disagree.
A sensitive soul like Albus would NEVER get sorted into Slytherin.

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:29 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
I disagree here as the Gryffindor/Slytherin hatred has been going for a thousand years and it isn't going to be resolved in 20 years especially when the war has only been over a few decades and families will still be feeling the effects of what they lost. It is also important that so few of the Slytherin students stayed to defend the castle and that fact alone will create a even bigger us vs them attitude between the Slytherin's and other years.
I think we need to realize that the war, Voldemort's actions, etc seem to represent the low point of Gryffindor/Slytherin relations rather then the norm. I'm not saying was love and light between the two houses, but society functioned more or less, for a 1000 years, and if they had been at each others throats like in the Potter books, that would not be the case.

To back this up, consider that Arthur's mother was a Cedrella Black Weasley and presumably a Slytherin, so we have a Slytherin/Gryffindor Marriage that probably worked on some level was well as evidence that Harry's Grandparents were also one such match (Dorea and Charlus Potter on the Black family tree). Consider the friendship between Slughorn and Dumbledore and Slughorn and Lily. Consider that the Wizarding world, being small, means that everyone, especially purebloods, are each other's cousins. Consider that among a family like the Blacks, for every Belletrix Lestrange, there are also people like Uncle Alphard, who gave his fortune to his nephew Sirius.

All of this suggests that Gryffindor/Slytherin relations are not always that problematic. If they had been, wizards would probably be extinct.

I think, in the next 2-3 generations after the war the predjudice against Slytherin would lessen (not go away). It would have to, considering that Albus, if he were to be in Slytherin, would also have a few other children with names like Macmillian, Corner, Longbottom etc sorted right next to him. Simularly, some Yaxleys, Parkinsons, and Notts would grace the tables of Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff.
With the changed circumstances of many families postwar, probably a few more then average intermarriages like Neville/Hannah (being in close proximity in the Room of Requirement and being a teen might create a few bonds). There would probably more then average surprise sortings in Albus' generation.

Old November 21st, 2010, 11:34 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
I think we need to realize that the war, Voldemort's actions, etc seem to represent the low point of Gryffindor/Slytherin relations rather then the norm. I'm not saying was love and light between the two houses, but society functioned more or less, for a 1000 years, and if they had been at each others throats like in the Potter books, that would not be the case.

To back this up, consider that Arthur's mother was a Cedrella Black Weasley and presumably a Slytherin, so we have a Slytherin/Gryffindor Marriage that probably worked on some level was well as evidence that Harry's Grandparents were also one such match (Dorea and Charlus Potter on the Black family tree). Consider the friendship between Slughorn and Dumbledore and Slughorn and Lily. Consider that the Wizarding world, being small, means that everyone, especially purebloods, are each other's cousins. Consider that among a family like the Blacks, for every Belletrix Lestrange, there are also people like Uncle Alphard, who gave his fortune to his nephew Sirius.

All of this suggests that Gryffindor/Slytherin relations are not always that problematic. If they had been, wizards would probably be extinct.

I think, in the next 2-3 generations after the war the predjudice against Slytherin would lessen (not go away). It would have to, considering that Albus, if he were to be in Slytherin, would also have a few other children with names like Macmillian, Corner, Longbottom etc sorted right next to him. Simularly, some Yaxleys, Parkinsons, and Notts would grace the tables of Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, and Hufflepuff.
With the changed circumstances of many families postwar, probably a few more then average intermarriages like Neville/Hannah (being in close proximity in the Room of Requirement and being a teen might create a few bonds). There would probably more then average surprise sortings in Albus' generation.
I get what you are saying but i just don't think 20 years is enough for this to happen. Even to this day a lot of countries directly affected by Japanese war crimes in WW2 are still really suspicious of the Japanese and don't trust them and that was over 65 years ago.

Old November 21st, 2010, 4:44 pm
Banned

Quote:
I get what you are saying but i just don't think 20 years is enough for this to happen. Even to this day a lot of countries directly affected by Japanese war crimes in WW2 are still really suspicious of the Japanese and don't trust them and that was over 65 years ago.
Japan does a good job of denying/justifying what they did in WW2. They also have strong sense of racial superiority and seperation which goes a long way toward explaining why the wounds are still very strong. This is very different then with Germany, that has gone a long way toward healing the gap between itself and its former victims.

Slytherin, in close contact with the rest of Wizarding Britain, cannot be Japan.

I agree with you that Harry's Generation and 20 years is not enough time. However, I think this is the time when things are starting to change; where a Theo Nott is a Gryffindor and James best friend, who a some point says something like, 'lay off my sister' and invites James to visit over the summer (which makes Harry and Ginny nervous). It's the point where a young Scorpius, notices that a lot of people are predjudiced against his parents and wonders 'why?'. Perhaps that 'asking why' becomes a habit that gets him sorted into Ravenclaw. It's when Padma and Terry Boot find their daughter Parvarti has been sorted into Slytherin, and have to confront or fail to confront their feelings. Perhaps that same Parvarti finally meets her aunt and namesake; who has been floating around Hogwarts as a ghost since the battle.

All the Best,

Lunatic

Old November 21st, 2010, 8:59 pm
Second Year

Quote:
I get what you are saying but i just don't think 20 years is enough for this to happen.
Yes, if anything, the Gryffindor-Slytherin relationship will get even worse. It was bad to begin with and now another wizarding war showed that the Slytherin cannot be trusted. And it's just not the Gryffindors, I can't imagine the other houses being very kind towards them either.

Old November 21st, 2010, 9:51 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam1 View Post
Yes, if anything, the Gryffindor-Slytherin relationship will get even worse. It was bad to begin with and now another wizarding war showed that the Slytherin cannot be trusted. And it's just not the Gryffindors, I can't imagine the other houses being very kind towards them either.
So what do you do when you, a Gryff/Rave/Huff alum and possibly ex DA member do when your 11 year old writes, "Dear Mum and Dad, I've been sorted into Slytherin." Disown your kid?

Old November 21st, 2010, 10:03 pm
Second Year

No, but the parents would undoubtedly be disappointed.

Then again, I think this is something that would happen very very rarely.. Pureblood families that have traditionally been Slytherins would still get sorted into that house, but children from non-Slytherin families would be even less inclined to end up there post-war.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:39 am
Banned

Quote:
Then again, I think this is something that would happen very very rarely.. Pureblood families that have traditionally been Slytherins would still get sorted into that house, but children from non-Slytherin families would be even less inclined to end up there post-war.
I think that is the fundemental disagreement on this thread. How much is actual 'choice' or would the sorting hat find way to make a kid not suited for his choice change his mind, like it tempted Harry and (presumably) Hermione. Which are more common, families like the Patils or families like the Malfoys and Weasleys and how common are member of such families that don't fit the mold and would that change post war.

What you see as very very rarely, seems to be more like every so often.

I and others have made arguements for that POV and that it might even be more common post war. I have yet to see an arguement like yours that doesn't assume your answer is self evident, which, since we're talking it, it evidently isn't.

Last edited by Lunatic; November 22nd, 2010 at 3:31 am.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 5:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Then how do you explain Sirius?

Old November 22nd, 2010, 7:17 am
Second Year

He didn't want to be in Slytherin, therefore the hat would have listened to him and put him elsewhere, imo.

"You're joking, Perce! You actually are joking.... I donít think Iíve heard you joke since you were Ė" The air exploded.

"And Percy was shaking his brother, and Ron was kneeling beside them, and Fred's eyes stared without seeing, the ghost of his last laugh still etched upon his face."

Proud Gryffindor
Old November 22nd, 2010, 9:30 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius_Weasley View Post
He didn't want to be in Slytherin, therefore the hat would have listened to him and put him elsewhere, imo.
Yes, and the same would have happened with Albus.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 1:49 pm
First Year

The reason why Harry CHOOSE to be in Gryffindor is because he was told by Ron at that point, that there hadn't been a wizard that hadn't gone bad who WAS in Slytherin.

The thing with Albus is by then Harry's point has changed because Snape WAS in Slytherin. Snape died for Harry.

Quote:
"Albus Severus..you were named for the two headmasters of Hogwarts. One of them was a Slytherin and he was probably the bravest man I ever knew."

Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:31 pm
Second Year

THere are so many ways to look at this, and all really interesting. I think Rowling must have enjoyed putting this out to us and having some lively conversation over it... While true the hat wouldn't sort you where you said you don't want to go.. however, in rethinking this.. it would be so interesting to see Albus go to Slytheran, find out he liked it, and yes, ended up with Rose!

Last edited by Brigid; November 22nd, 2010 at 2:33 pm. Reason: typo
Old November 22nd, 2010, 2:51 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigid View Post
THere are so many ways to look at this, and all really interesting. I think Rowling must have enjoyed putting this out to us and having some lively conversation over it... While true the hat wouldn't sort you where you said you don't want to go.. however, in rethinking this.. it would be so interesting to see Albus go to Slytheran, find out he liked it, and yes, ended up with Rose!
Rose and Albus are cousins though. Still the idea of Albus and Rose together isn't as nauseating as the idea of Rose and Scorpius together.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 3:03 pm
First Year

Quote:
Rose and Albus are cousins though. Still the idea of Albus and Rose together isn't as nauseating as the idea of Rose and Scorpius together.
What's wrong with Scorpius? We know nothing about him, really and I think it's really unfair to make such judgments. We know, via JK, that Harry and Draco have come to have a common respect for each other in the 19 years since the war, so it's probably safe to assume that Draco didn't go spouting off the same ** that he was taught as a child to his own. I don't think any Malfoy could be "sweet", but I don't see Scorpius as an evil little git, either.

Old November 22nd, 2010, 4:20 pm
Banned

Quote:
If it's a repeat of Hermione/Draco, or Romeo and Juliet, I completely sympathize. If it is something else, which I've seen it done believably before (thirty something ex Ravencalw divorcees whose kids play together, who are 40 years post Voldemort , was my favorite), it's a perfectly reasonable ship.

It all comes down to do you think anyone in the Wizarding World can/should/have reason to break from what their parents were and whether you find it believable. It goes for all next gen arguments come down to, including on Albus. Good real life arguement for my view that all kids are different.

Last edited by Lunatic; November 22nd, 2010 at 4:47 pm.
Old November 22nd, 2010, 5:37 pm
Second Year

Of course, Percy was nothing like the twins, Ron was nothing like Percy etc... yet they were all Gryffindors.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References