Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Old November 11th, 2010, 12:02 am
Seventh Year

Re: Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatic View Post
P.S. I believe some fans telling others they are not understanding how Rowling's world works either directly or indirectly because they disagree with another's opinion is a highly distasteful aspect of Potter fandom. It suggests, IMHO, it is an attempt by some fans to suggest others are not true fans or not 'properly' informed.

If you believe something, make an arguement for it rather then just claim your opinion is naturally superior because you happen to think Rowling would back it.
In this case i agree but in the case of Draco/Hermione shippers they clearly haven't read the books correctly as they have read them and come away with the idea that Hermione and Draco would make a good pairing and that is something that even JKR herself says is quite disturbing.

Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:23 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleurduJardin View Post
I can't imagine any offspring of a Potter/Weasley marriage ending up in Slytherin. For me, the question would be: Albus S. Potter - Gryffindor or Hufflepuff?

What main trait did he inherit from his parents, bravery or fairness and loyalty?
It doesn't say that to be a Slytherin you have to be "evil". Slytherin traits are ambition, and cunning. And I personally believe they all have an above average intelligence. Those are not bad things to teach your children to have, and I think that Harry and Ginny did teach their children to go after the things that they want. The question then becomes, did those traits manifest themselves within Albus more prominently than traits of any other house? I don't personally think so, but the potential is there.

Old November 11th, 2010, 1:06 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
In this case i agree but in the case of Draco/Hermione shippers they clearly haven't read the books correctly as they have read them and come away with the idea that Hermione and Draco would make a good pairing and that is something that even JKR herself says is quite disturbing.
All I can say to that is, I'm yet to hear an argument that makes me find Draco/Hermione plausible or non disturbing. Considering that I once encountered a good but really twisted argument for Voldie/Luna (Pre-DH) that is really saying something.

Now, back to topic, I think I already stated my opinion.

Old November 11th, 2010, 2:28 am
First Year

well hes propebly gonna choose gryffindor, harry did tell him he can choose where he wanted to be like he chose

Old November 11th, 2010, 3:00 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
well hes propebly gonna choose gryffindor, harry did tell him he can choose where he wanted to be like he chose
Harry chose Gryffindor by default. The Hat had told him that he'd do well in Slytherin, but that he had plenty of courage to. Harry only asked "Not Slytherin". We don't know how the Hat would react if a student thought "Please Gryffindor/any other house" and I don't know that it would do much good. The Hat chooses where you would do best. If you would do best in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, I'm not sure how much good wanting to be in Gryffindor would do.

Old November 11th, 2010, 3:08 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaBeth View Post
Harry chose Gryffindor by default. The Hat had told him that he'd do well in Slytherin, but that he had plenty of courage to. Harry only asked "Not Slytherin". We don't know how the Hat would react if a student thought "Please Gryffindor/any other house" and I don't know that it would do much good. The Hat chooses where you would do best. If you would do best in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, I'm not sure how much good wanting to be in Gryffindor would do.
Right, I think that having such a beef with Slytherin right off the bat, as Harry showed to the hat by saying that, would definitely oppose Slytherin values. From what we see with Slytherins, they are all exceedingly proud of wearing the green and silver.

I don't think it is a simple matter that students can choose where they want to go, but that if there is somewhere that you do or don't want to go, that is part of your character which the hat assesses.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old November 11th, 2010, 12:17 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Right, I think that having such a beef with Slytherin right off the bat, as Harry showed to the hat by saying that, would definitely oppose Slytherin values. From what we see with Slytherins, they are all exceedingly proud of wearing the green and silver.

I don't think it is a simple matter that students can choose where they want to go, but that if there is somewhere that you do or don't want to go, that is part of your character which the hat assesses.
Then the question is why? is he saying 'not Slytherin'. If it's out of family loyalty or some knowledge he's acquired, then the result still could be other then Gryffindor.

Old November 11th, 2010, 2:38 pm
Second Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter: Character Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermione Snape View Post
So, Albus Severus Potter was scared of going into Slytherin because he didn't want to displease his family. I happen to think that he will be in Slytherin.

Albus Severus Potter initials spell ASP, which is a type of snake; personally, I'd love it if he did and become best friends with Scorpius.

What do you think?
It could possibly go either way, but I'm more inclined to think he'll be Sorted into Gryffindor. I think the fact that he was frightened at the aspect of going into Slytherin will sway the Sorting Hat's decision, just as it did for Harry.

It would be great if Scorpius and Albus could be friends, but I think that's unlikely as well if Scorpius is anything like his father. Old prejudices might prevent the two from ever forming a viable friendship if Harry ever discussed his experiences with Draco with his children.

Old November 11th, 2010, 2:45 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboywholived8 View Post
It could possibly go either way, but I'm more inclined to think he'll be Sorted into Gryffindor. I think the fact that he was frightened at the aspect of going into Slytherin will sway the Sorting Hat's decision, just as it did for Harry.

It would be great if Scorpius and Albus could be friends, but I think that's unlikely as well if Scorpius is anything like his father. Old prejudices might prevent the two from ever forming a viable friendship if Harry ever discussed his experiences with Draco with his children.
Its not just Harry as Albus is sure to hear about the Weasley hatred of the Malfoy family from Arthur and maybe even Ron as well. Arthur would hate it that Lucius somehow managed to avoid Azkaban and Ron would never forgive the Malfoy's for their role in Hermione's torture so i would imagine neither man will have many nice things to say about the Malfoy family.

Old November 11th, 2010, 5:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Its not just Harry as Albus is sure to hear about the Weasley hatred of the Malfoy family from Arthur and maybe even Ron as well. Arthur would hate it that Lucius somehow managed to avoid Azkaban and Ron would never forgive the Malfoy's for their role in Hermione's torture so i would imagine neither man will have many nice things to say about the Malfoy family.
I disagree. Not with the Weasley's dislike of the Malfoy's, but that anyone would say anything to the children to that effect. Harry and Ron and Hermione grew up a lot in their seventh year, and I think that with Harry's and Draco's at least common respect for each other, all four would allow their children to make their own minds up about each other. They wouldn't lie if asked straight out "Daddy did Mr. Malfoy torture you?" but what child would ask that? More likely, they'll ask if Harry and Draco were friends, and the simple answer that (I think) would be given is "No, but I still respect him nonetheless".

Old November 18th, 2010, 4:46 pm
First Year

Personally, I think he should be in Hufflepuff, but between Slytherin and Gryffindor I would say Gryffindor because I think he would be like a mini Harry and follow in his father's footsteps. But that sounds boring.

"When I was five years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn't understand the assignment.
I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

Old November 19th, 2010, 4:56 am
Second Year

I am of the firm and unshakeable belief that Rowling, in writing the Epilogue, was clearly setting up Albus to be placed in Slytherin, thus breaking the tradition of Weasleys and/or Potters being sorted into Gryffindor; I'm also of the firm and unshakeable belief that she was clearly setting up/hinting at some type of friendship between Scorpius Malfoy and either Albus or Rose, if not the both of them.

Old November 20th, 2010, 1:04 am
Second Year

He'll be in Slytherin just BECAUSE, and Scorpius Malfoy will be in Gryffindor. I seriously think so and it'll be adorable. <3

Old November 20th, 2010, 1:48 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigificWriter View Post
I am of the firm and unshakeable belief that Rowling, in writing the Epilogue, was clearly setting up Albus to be placed in Slytherin, thus breaking the tradition of Weasleys and/or Potters being sorted into Gryffindor; I'm also of the firm and unshakeable belief that she was clearly setting up/hinting at some type of friendship between Scorpius Malfoy and either Albus or Rose, if not the both of them.
I can see this, too. I can see Albus asking Harry in the epilogue what would happen if he was in Slytherin because he feels that he will be in Slytherin.

Old November 20th, 2010, 3:53 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
I can see this, too. I can see Albus asking Harry in the epilogue what would happen if he was in Slytherin because he feels that he will be in Slytherin.
Its just his fear that he will be in Slytherin as James has probably spent the whole summer telling Albus horrible things about how he is certain to be in Slytherin and that the family will disown him if he was placed in that house.

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:08 am
First Year

Quote:
Its just his fear that he will be in Slytherin as James has probably spent the whole summer telling Albus horrible things about how he is certain to be in Slytherin and that the family will disown him if he was placed in that house.
Yeah? How do you know? O.o You can interpret his actions in many different ways.

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:19 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Yeah? How do you know? O.o You can interpret his actions in many different ways.
James was doing the very thing i mentioned during the epilogue so it is reasonable to assume that he was doing it the entire summer as well.

The epilogue really is up for interpretation but one thing i know for certain is that James is a complete arse.

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:29 am
First Year

Quote:
The epilogue really is up for interpretation but one thing i know for certain is that James is a complete arse.
HAHA! That's one way to put it. I think that prejudice against Slytherin has dissipated and that it really wouldn't matter to the parents - aside from Ron maybe - but James just displays a typical Gryffindor student attitude.

I agree with the fact that Albus seems to be a Hufflepuff.

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:36 am
Second Year

To Lisbeth and personification: Albus being scared of being sorted into Slytherin isn't a matter that's open to interpretation; it's something that JKR specifically states/conveys within the course of the Epilogue; it's the entire reason that Harry tells Al that he can ask the Hat to put him into a specific House and it will take his request into consideration; it's also the entire reason that he also tells Al that, even if Al IS sorted into Slytherin, he (Harry) and Ginny will still love him. If you missed that, then you really need to re-read the Epilogue and pay closer attention.

Old November 20th, 2010, 4:41 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by personification View Post
HAHA! That's one way to put it. I think that prejudice against Slytherin has dissipated and that it really wouldn't matter to the parents - aside from Ron maybe - but James just displays a typical Gryffindor student attitude.
I disagree here as the Gryffindor/Slytherin hatred has been going for a thousand years and it isn't going to be resolved in 20 years especially when the war has only been over a few decades and families will still be feeling the effects of what they lost. It is also important that so few of the Slytherin students stayed to defend the castle and that fact alone will create a even bigger us vs them attitude between the Slytherin's and other years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by personification View Post
I agree with the fact that Albus seems to be a Hufflepuff.
I agree with you here as Hufflepuff just seems like a good house for Albus though in saying that Albus seems quite similar to what Neville was like back in his first year and the sorting hat placed Neville in Gryffindor.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References