Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.20



 
 
Thread Tools
  #1081  
Old June 18th, 2012, 11:05 pm
mirrormere's Avatar
mirrormere  Undisclosed.gif mirrormere is offline
The Potions Master
 
Joined: 3216 days
Location: En route to Lothlorien
Posts: 1,358
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
JKR answered this question in the Bloomsbury Web Chat.
Bloomsbury Web Chat 2007
Christiana: How did voldemort get his wand back after he was in was exile

J.K. Rowling: Wormtail, desperate to curry favour, salvaged it from the place it had fallen and carried it to him. I admit that would have been a bit of a feat for a rat, but they are highly intelligent creatures!
The way it's worded, it almost sounds like Wormtail found it in the wreckage of the house where the Potters were hiding and took it to Voldemort when he created his proto-body which would be in GoF. It wouldn't seem he would need to curry favor before that. And as willfitz mentions, he doesn't have it in PoA. But then it seems odd no one would have picked it out of the debris before that.


__________________


Mugglenet.com Editorial: The Flaw in the Plan
Potion notes: noxspell.org

NoxSpell7790 on Pottermore and still Slytherin!
Ebony, Phoenix Feather, 11-3/4" . . . Unyielding

Sponsored Links
  #1082  
Old June 19th, 2012, 4:35 am
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 4129 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,476
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrormere View Post
The way it's worded, it almost sounds like Wormtail found it in the wreckage of the house where the Potters were hiding and took it to Voldemort when he created his proto-body which would be in GoF. It wouldn't seem he would need to curry favor before that. And as willfitz mentions, he doesn't have it in PoA. But then it seems odd no one would have picked it out of the debris before that.
I wouldn't say it's that unlikely. The rubble was never cleaned up, as it was left as a memorial, and there are of course places within the rubble which would be difficult for a human to access than a rat.

Now that you mention it, the quote does seem to be strongly suggesting this- there was no hiding place other than the Potter house.


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
  #1083  
Old June 20th, 2012, 2:14 pm
Verena  Undisclosed.gif Verena is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2933 days
Posts: 231
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

My questions:

1) in PoA Sirius give to Harry the permission to visit Hogsmeade, but if Sirius is still considered a criminal, that permission should not have any legal value. Right?
And why no professor does any questions to Harry about Sirius Black after reading the permission form signed by him?

2) After hearing the prophecy Harry is upset because he knows that he must become a murderer (or victim), but… he has already killed Quirrell in Philosopher's Stone. I know at that time Quirrell divided his body with Voldemort, but if Quirrell had been touched by another person (not Harry) he would not have died. The cause of death was the touch of Harry (and when Harry realizes this, intentionally grabs Quirrell tight by the arm), therefore Harry killed him. I hope to make a mistake…


  #1084  
Old June 20th, 2012, 2:50 pm
Dedalus Diggle's Avatar
Dedalus Diggle  Male.gif Dedalus Diggle is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 6193 days
Location: Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
Age: 61
Posts: 3,707
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
My questions:

1) in PoA Sirius give to Harry the permission to visit Hogsmeade, but if Sirius is still considered a criminal, that permission should not have any legal value. Right?
And why no professor does any questions to Harry about Sirius Black after reading the permission form signed by him?

2) After hearing the prophecy Harry is upset because he knows that he must become a murderer (or victim), but… he has already killed Quirrell in Philosopher's Stone. I know at that time Quirrell divided his body with Voldemort, but if Quirrell had been touched by another person (not Harry) he would not have died. The cause of death was the touch of Harry (and when Harry realizes this, intentionally grabs Quirrell tight by the arm), therefore Harry killed him. I hope to make a mistake…
1) My guess is that the permission form was only given to McGonnagal and Dumbledore filled her in on the situation with Sirius after the events of POA. No one else needed to know who signed Harry's permission slip.

2) From the book it does not appear that Harry's touch was killing Quirrell, rather it was just causing horrible pain. According to Dumbledore, Voldemort's soul was acting as a parasite on Quirrell and left Quirrell so weak that when Voldemort abandoned Quirrell's body, Quirrell died. Even if it was touching Harry that caused Quirrell's death, Harry did not seek to kill but just saw that touching Quirrell kept Quirrell from getting the Stone. However, with learnign the prophecy, Harry learns that he must seek to kill Voldemort (not that anyone minded that he did so). In fact, as we saw, Harry never even made a direct attempt to kill Voldemort, other than by destroying the horcruxes. In the face-to-face confrontations, it was always defensive, but that was enough because Voldemort's spells for various reasons kept rebounding against him.


__________________
Where are they now? (part 42)
(an occasional series following wizardry after the Second Voldemort War)
Rubeus Hagrid continued as groundskeeper and Professor of Magical Beasts.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
  #1085  
Old June 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Verena  Undisclosed.gif Verena is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2933 days
Posts: 231
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Thank you! especially for the answer n.2. It was a question that I had since a long time.


  #1086  
Old June 20th, 2012, 8:35 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5608 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 60
Posts: 1,989
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verena View Post
2) After hearing the prophecy Harry is upset because he knows that he must become a murderer (or victim), but… he has already killed Quirrell in Philosopher's Stone. I know at that time Quirrell divided his body with Voldemort, but if Quirrell had been touched by another person (not Harry) he would not have died. The cause of death was the touch of Harry (and when Harry realizes this, intentionally grabs Quirrell tight by the arm), therefore Harry killed him. I hope to make a mistake…
You are getting the film and the book confused in the film Harry touches Quirrell but not in the book ,the films are not considered canon just the books are canon .


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
  #1087  
Old June 20th, 2012, 9:06 pm
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 4129 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,476
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsrule26 View Post
You are getting the film and the book confused in the film Harry touches Quirrell but not in the book ,the films are not considered canon just the books are canon .
Not so, twinsrule:
The Man With Two FacesQuirrell rolled off him, his face blistering, too, and then Harry knew: Quirrell couldn't touch his bare skin, not without suffering terrible pain -- his only chance was to keep hold of Quirrell, keep him in enough pain to stop him from doing a curse.

Harry jumped to his feet, caught Quirrell by the arm, and hung on as tight as he could. Quirrell screamed and tried to throw Harry off -- the pain in Harry's head was building -- he couldn't see -- he could only hear Quirrell's terrible shrieks and Voldemort's yells of, "KILL HIM! KILL HIM!" and other voices, maybe in Harry's own head, crying, "Harry! Harry!"

The question was a valid one. Frankly, though, even if we do read it that Harry killed a man, are we really going to think less of him for those actions of self-defence?


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
  #1088  
Old June 20th, 2012, 9:14 pm
twinsrule26's Avatar
twinsrule26  Male.gif twinsrule26 is offline
Assistant to Minister Longbottom
 
Joined: 5608 days
Location: In an Island Paradise
Age: 60
Posts: 1,989
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

My bad, sorry ,you are right willfitz.


__________________
YOU HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT
SOME DAYS YOU'RE THE PIGEON!
AND SOME DAYS
YOU'RE THE STATUE!



Sorted
  #1089  
Old June 20th, 2012, 9:51 pm
Goddess_Clio  Female.gif Goddess_Clio is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3169 days
Location: The pirate ship Revenge
Age: 35
Posts: 1,853
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Frankly, though, even if we do read it that Harry killed a man, are we really going to think less of him for those actions of self-defence?
Not at all; he's the hero of the story. Just as we don't condemn Batman for slaying his foes, the cop for shooting the criminal, the victim for defending themselves against their tormenter we don't condemn Harry for killing or causing the imminent death of the villain-figure of the story.


__________________
"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
  #1090  
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:08 pm
Dedalus Diggle's Avatar
Dedalus Diggle  Male.gif Dedalus Diggle is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 6193 days
Location: Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
Age: 61
Posts: 3,707
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
Not at all; he's the hero of the story. Just as we don't condemn Batman for slaying his foes, the cop for shooting the criminal, the victim for defending themselves against their tormenter we don't condemn Harry for killing or causing the imminent death of the villain-figure of the story.
Let's qualify this a bit - police, and 'heroes' etc. do not remain heroic if they unnecessarily kill someone, or even use substantially excessive force.


__________________
Where are they now? (part 42)
(an occasional series following wizardry after the Second Voldemort War)
Rubeus Hagrid continued as groundskeeper and Professor of Magical Beasts.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
  #1091  
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:24 pm
willfitz's Avatar
willfitz  Male.gif willfitz is offline
I gave String Theory to my Cat...
 
Joined: 4129 days
Location: Victoria, BC
Age: 29
Posts: 3,476
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Let's qualify this a bit - police, and 'heroes' etc. do not remain heroic if they unnecessarily kill someone, or even use substantially excessive force.
I think that in most people's eyes, Molly is indeed still a hero, despite using sufficient force to kill Bellatrix. And I can think of many heroes who are glorified for their excessive use of violence, depending greatly on the genre. But yeah, obviously you can't remain the hero if your actions aren't justified.


__________________


"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
  #1092  
Old June 20th, 2012, 10:32 pm
Dedalus Diggle's Avatar
Dedalus Diggle  Male.gif Dedalus Diggle is offline
Zonko's Employee
 
Joined: 6193 days
Location: Daisy Hill Puppy Farm
Age: 61
Posts: 3,707
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
I think that in most people's eyes, Molly is indeed still a hero, despite using sufficient force to kill Bellatrix. And I can think of many heroes who are glorified for their excessive use of violence, depending greatly on the genre. But yeah, obviously you can't remain the hero if your actions aren't justified.
Well, certainly Bellatrix and Molly were locked in a fight to the death. Perhaps Molly could have just disabled Bellatrix, but Bellatrix was fighting to kill and Molly needed to do whatever she had to to survive.

There are circumstances where excessive force is used because 'justice' cannot otherwise be done, and when presented in media we are often manipulated to applaud it. I am thinking in particular right now of an episode of Criminal Minds where one of the agents kills a serial murdered-rapist who was cleared because the agent had messed up the evidence. We are supposed to accept it, but we really should heavily question such vigilante actions and our own willingness to accept it.


__________________
Where are they now? (part 42)
(an occasional series following wizardry after the Second Voldemort War)
Rubeus Hagrid continued as groundskeeper and Professor of Magical Beasts.

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
  #1093  
Old June 20th, 2012, 11:26 pm
Goddess_Clio  Female.gif Goddess_Clio is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3169 days
Location: The pirate ship Revenge
Age: 35
Posts: 1,853
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Let's qualify this a bit - police, and 'heroes' etc. do not remain heroic if they unnecessarily kill someone, or even use substantially excessive force.
I was framing those examples in terms of story where Batman, the cop and the victim are the protagonists defeating the antagonist of their story but, yes, I agree that that action just be justifiable. (Which is why I hate hate hate the movie Enough starring JLo playing an abused woman [the protagonist] who learned self-defense and then goes to her ex-husband [the antagonist] and provolks a fight so that she can appear to kill him in self-defense. Right. )

In terms of the HP series, Harry killed Quirrell (or caused his death) for legitimate reasons of self-defense; if he hadn't done so Quirrellmort would most likely have killed Harry. Killing Quirrellmort first was Harry's only option to survive the encounter therefore we don't condemn him for doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus Diggle View Post
Well, certainly Bellatrix and Molly were locked in a fight to the death. Perhaps Molly could have just disabled Bellatrix, but Bellatrix was fighting to kill and Molly needed to do whatever she had to to survive.
Just as Harry needed to do whatever he had to do to survive, just as Batman would only slay his foe if it was his only option, just as the cop would only shoot the criminal to stop them from harming others, just as the victim would kill their tormentor solely to save their own life. That's what I was getting at.

Quote:
There are circumstances where excessive force is used because 'justice' cannot otherwise be done, and when presented in media we are often manipulated to applaud it. I am thinking in particular right now of an episode of Criminal Minds where one of the agents kills a serial murdered-rapist who was cleared because the agent had messed up the evidence. We are supposed to accept it, but we really should heavily question such vigilante actions and our own willingness to accept it.
Seeing as this isn't really related to the original request for clarification about Harry realizing he had to kill someone when he already had by this point in the books I'll just say that Harry killing/causing the death of Quirrell was a justification for that death in a way. It delayed Voldemort's return for a further three books so that the events of Deathly Hallows would happen when Harry is 17, more mature and can better emotionally handle the responsibilities and burdens of the role he has to play as opposed to 14 when he was still insecure, unable to effectively lead people and was still deeply uncomfortable with being the Boy Who Lived.


__________________
"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
  #1094  
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:34 pm
BurrowGhoul's Avatar
BurrowGhoul  Female.gif BurrowGhoul is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5430 days
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,122
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Why does Albus run through the barrier at Platform 9-3/4 with hesitation? Surely he has been through it when his brother went to school in earlier years.


__________________
HOGSMEADE AWARDS MMXII

2nd place, Nicest Member; 1st place, Hogsmeade Member of the Year


Sorted on CoS
Sorted on Pottermore
  #1095  
Old June 21st, 2012, 3:41 pm
Goddess_Clio  Female.gif Goddess_Clio is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3169 days
Location: The pirate ship Revenge
Age: 35
Posts: 1,853
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Why does Albus run through the barrier at Platform 9-3/4 with hesitation? Surely he has been through it when his brother went to school in earlier years.
His nerves/hesitation/trepidation probably had more to do with the fact that this was his first year going to Hogwarts; he wouldn't be coming back through the barrier in half an hour with his parents. We know he was nervous about his sorting so that probably contributed to his hesitation in going through the barrier. Going through the barrier meant he was one step closer to being sorted and that's what he was really nervous about.


__________________
"I could have been in politics 'cause I've always been a big spender."
  #1096  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 2:41 am
merrymarge's Avatar
merrymarge  Female.gif merrymarge is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4156 days
Posts: 2,159
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but when I re-read the chapter, "the man with Two Faces", Dumbledore mentioned that he pulled Quirrell off of Harry, then on the next page, he mentioned that when Voldemort left Quirrell, he left him to die. So, I think Harry didn't kill Quirrell, he just caused him great pain and Quirrell wasn't able to kill Harry. I hope this isn't nit-picking. (p. 297 and 298 in the SS/PS).


  #1097  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 4:29 am
ajna  Undisclosed.gif ajna is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 3463 days
Posts: 1,031
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurrowGhoul View Post
Why does Albus run through the barrier at Platform 9-3/4 with hesitation? Surely he has been through it when his brother went to school in earlier years.
When you say this, it sounds as if we know the reason for his hesitation. But we don't know the reason is , do we? Could it just be nerves about actually going to school for the first time?


  #1098  
Old June 22nd, 2012, 5:23 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5341 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymarge View Post
Sorry I didn't mention this earlier, but when I re-read the chapter, "the man with Two Faces", Dumbledore mentioned that he pulled Quirrell off of Harry, then on the next page, he mentioned that when Voldemort left Quirrell, he left him to die. So, I think Harry didn't kill Quirrell, he just caused him great pain and Quirrell wasn't able to kill Harry. I hope this isn't nit-picking. (p. 297 and 298 in the SS/PS).
I agree with you, merrymarge. I've never thought Harry killed Quirrell, or was the cause of his death.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #1099  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 4:25 am
GrimeldaDursley  Female.gif GrimeldaDursley is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3384 days
Age: 62
Posts: 260
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Poor Quirrel was so weakened by his possession by Voldemort, it was probably what killed him. Remember, Voldemort would possess small animals, and it would be too much for their bodies, and they didn't last very long. He possessed Quirrel for quite a long whileit seems. The stress of it just wore his body out.


__________________
"Magic is everywhere, open not only your eyes, you must also open your heart and just look, it's there, it's been there all along!"--me

I'm a Hufflepuff in a Slytherin World!


snape lives imho
  #1100  
Old June 23rd, 2012, 4:42 am
merrymarge's Avatar
merrymarge  Female.gif merrymarge is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 4156 days
Posts: 2,159
Re: Little Questions Answered v.20

Slap forehead! I thought the small animals died because they were small in size.
Is that why Ginny was dying, in COS? she was possessed by the essence of Voldemort, and by pouring out her secrets, he was able to drain her life? That part still messes me up, all these years later. walk this thru with me: Voldemort had no body, but he was a memory who was able to possess an 11 yr.old girl and drain her strength so he can come back to life. He made a horcrux, which was a piece of his soul, but he still wasn't real, at least to me. I am missing something and don't know what.


 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
animagus, cos, deathly hallows, hogwarts, lily potter, loyalty, patronus, petunia dursley, polyjuice potion, pureblood, questions, ron, snape, sorting hat, spy, trio


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:53 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.