Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:49 pm
Second Year

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saawan View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I've got some questions:

How come paintings/portraits are magical so the people in them can talk, walk, think and speak? How do they make them? Couldnít Harry have had one made of Sirius (and his parents) and then talk to them like people talked to the fat lady and the previous headmasters of Hogwarts?

How did Sirius manage to buy a broomstick for Harry, being wanted for escaping Azkaban and how did he get an owl to send it to Harry? He was living in a cave eating rats so I guess he didnít have money (because how would he be able to have money when he came straight from Azkaban?) and being wanted he couldnít walk into Gringotts getting some even if he had gold there. Also, he didnít have a wand so he couldnít use magic getting the broomstick.

Sorry to ask this but English is not my first language: Whatís the difference between a hex, jinx and a charm?

Thanks!
I can answer the last question and don't worry. English is not my first language neither but the question's not really related with the language. JKRowling herself answered this in her website. I'm sorry that I can't write the exact words from her site but for some reason I ignore her site's not working for me. So I'll try my best explaining it.

A jinx has a negative effect but which is still amusing just like Jelly-Legs jinx.

A hex is worse than a jinx because the negative effect is no longer a joke. For example the Stinging Hex.

A curse is really dark magic which you would most probably be arrested for. For example the Unforgivable curses. You can notice that is what it's used when they talk about that necklace Katie Bell came across. They said it was 'cursed'.

And then spell is the general name for any piece of magic.

And Charm is supposed to be a piece of magic that doesn't change the nature of the aim but just alters or adds qualities. This is an example used by JK. Transforming a teapot into a rat is a spell and making a teapot dance is a charm. For instance, Bubble-Head Charm.

Then there's still some ambiguity as Jk herself said that sometimes magic is just called like that because of alliteration reasons. And sometimes I think it's not that clear where the end of each kind of magic is, of course.
Hope that helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemortophobia View Post
It was confirmed in an interview with Jo that he can no longer speak Parseltongue.
Shame...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinpuff View Post
I always wondered about that arrangement, though. He said he ordered the broom in Harry's name but asked them to take the money from his vault. Now how could that have been authorized? Sirius couldn't just write a note saying, hey take the money from my vault, could he? They'd either need a key or valid proof of vault ownership to get anything out, and I don't think Sirius would have a key. Nor is it likely that a wanted murderer on the run would be able to validate ownership. I don't know, I thought that was unlikely.
I think he probably had a key. And then Goblins never mess up with wizard stuff. They just don't give a damn how much of a murderer he is as long as they're not involved in the fray. They're only concerned about this man having money in a vault in Gringotts and most importantly not owing them anything. They never cared about Death Eaters having vaults. The only moment they actually cared at all about some stuff related to wizard fights was when the Trio tried to break into Gringotts and I think that was half because probably the Death Eaters were threatening enough and half because they were trying to fool them after all. And goblins are not the kind of creatures that just let themselves to be fooled...

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Sponsored Links
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:28 pm
First Year

i don't understand the whole animagus and clothing thing!

i want to go based off of the books not information from the movies please!

"By Gryffindor, the bravest were prized far beyond the rest."

"Of course is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?"
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:36 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post
i don't understand the whole animagus and clothing thing!

i want to go based off of the books not information from the movies please!
What exactly don't you understand? It's like a big subject to discuss LOL And what do you mean with clothing?

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:40 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
What exactly don't you understand? It's like a big subject to discuss LOL And what do you mean with clothing?
I think she is referring to the fact that when a wizard transforms into their animal form, where do their clothes go and how do they come back again?

The answer is that we're talking about a human being transforming their body to look like an animal. Example - Prof. McGonogal can transfigure herself into a cat with spectacle markings around her eyes. What xoxhpxox is not catching onto, is the fact that Prof. McGonogal's body is transforming into that shape, and along with it, she is simultaneously transforming her cloak and hat to look like the fur on that cat.

At least that's the explanation I've always gone along with. I could be COMPLETELY wrong here.

:: POTTERMORE INFO ::
NAME: CloakWing
HOUSE: Gryffindor
WAND: Cypress, 13 3/4 in., Phoenix Feather Core, Surprisingly Swishy

Last edited by ID824; August 23rd, 2011 at 11:43 pm.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:53 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ID824 View Post
I think she is referring to the fact that when a wizard transforms into their animal form, where do their clothes go and how do they come back again?

The answer is that we're talking about a human being transforming their body to look like an animal. Example - Prof. McGonogal can transfigure herself into a cat with spectacle markings around her eyes. What xoxhpxox is not catching onto, is the fact that Prof. McGonogal's body is transforming into that shape, and along with it, she is simultaneously transforming her cloak and hat to look like the fur on that cat.

At least that's the explanation I've always gone along with. I could be COMPLETELY wrong here.
Thank you for the explanation about what xoxhpxox meant and I think you're absolutely right.

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:14 am
Second Year

why didnt harry use the mirror sirius gave him when he wanted to speak to him about his dad and when hermione wanted him to know where he was first when he thought he was being tortured?

best harry potter song ever!!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:20 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyCrown View Post
why didnt harry use the mirror sirius gave him when he wanted to speak to him about his dad and when hermione wanted him to know where he was first when he thought he was being tortured?
I think it was because he absolutely forgot about that mirror. I don't remember very well when I first read the book but I think I most surely forgot about the mirror too. But I guess it was kind of something important to the plot. If we've heard about the mirror in those occasions some fans would've already make some theories about bringing Sirius back when he died. But by not mentioning the mirror until the very end JK finds a way to torture HArry and us, the fans even a little more with that little second in which you're dead sure he's alive. And of course he used that with Dumbledore too. Just so we could be dead sure they'd get back and then drown us into misery. That's my POV at least LOL

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:38 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincase View Post
I think it was because he absolutely forgot about that mirror. I don't remember very well when I first read the book but I think I most surely forgot about the mirror too. But I guess it was kind of something important to the plot. If we've heard about the mirror in those occasions some fans would've already make some theories about bringing Sirius back when he died. But by not mentioning the mirror until the very end JK finds a way to torture HArry and us, the fans even a little more with that little second in which you're dead sure he's alive. And of course he used that with Dumbledore too. Just so we could be dead sure they'd get back and then drown us into misery. That's my POV at least LOL
I vaguely remember that Harry's first thought about the mirror when Sirius gave it to him was that using it might somehow cause trouble for Sirius. He put the mirror in his trunk and then completely forgot about it.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old August 24th, 2011, 1:54 am
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
Did Harry lose his Parselmouth ability after Voldemort died? Just wondering this, it was never mentioned in the books, I think. I haven't re-read them in a while maybe I just forgot...
Harry only had that ability because of Voldemort's horcrux in his head. Tom Riddle was the one who was born a Parseltongue, not Harry. Once the horcrux was gone (after "The Forest Again") he couldn't do it anymore.

When Ron spoke Parseltongue to get into the Chamber of Secrets, he was just copying Harry from years before (not sure how he remembered it, but oh well...).

"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie

Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
Old August 24th, 2011, 1:56 am
Third Year

That's right ^^ Harry said that he "didn't want to be the one to lure Sirius out of safety" so he never opened the package and just threw it into his trunk and forgot about it. So the thought of checking to see what was in the package never even occurred to him when he was planning to check on Sirius.

Hufflepuff Pride
Old August 24th, 2011, 2:02 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
When Ron spoke Parseltongue to get into the Chamber of Secrets, he was just copying Harry from years before (not sure how he remembered it, but oh well...).
I just checked the book today -- Ron said he remembered it from Harry opening the locket horcrux.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old August 24th, 2011, 2:07 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saawan View Post
Hi, I'm new here and I've got some questions:

How come paintings/portraits are magical so the people in them can talk, walk, think and speak? How do they make them? Couldnít Harry have had one made of Sirius (and his parents) and then talk to them like people talked to the fat lady and the previous headmasters of Hogwarts?

How did Sirius manage to buy a broomstick for Harry, being wanted for escaping Azkaban and how did he get an owl to send it to Harry? He was living in a cave eating rats so I guess he didnít have money (because how would he be able to have money when he came straight from Azkaban?) and being wanted he couldnít walk into Gringotts getting some even if he had gold there. Also, he didnít have a wand so he couldnít use magic getting the broomstick.

Sorry to ask this but English is not my first language: Whatís the difference between a hex, jinx and a charm?

Thanks!
To the first, there is a thread named "Questions about Portraits" which has that exact discussion going on; I'd advise you to read and post there.

To the second, I'd say theft. I don't think he bought the firebolt, so I think gold was out of the question. He probably took one while in dog form. No one ever suspects the dog...

To the third, it is not specifically defined, but we are able to come up with our own opinions. It seems like charms are spells which imbue an object with a certain property, while hexes and jinxes do this for a person. The distinction between the latter two is even more difficult to discern.

Enjoy the forum.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 24th, 2011, 2:11 am
I want to believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
To the second, I'd say theft. I don't think he bought the firebolt, so I think gold was out of the question. He probably took one while in dog form. No one ever suspects the dog...
Actually in PoA it says he arranged for the gold to be taken out of his own vault and that Crookshanks helped him. Here's the quote:
PoA"It was I who sent you the Firebolt. [snip] Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old August 24th, 2011, 5:34 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
Actually in PoA it says he arranged for the gold to be taken out of his own vault and that Crookshanks helped him. Here's the quote:
PoA"It was I who sent you the Firebolt. [snip] Crookshanks took the order to the Owl Office for me. I used your name but told them to take the gold from my own Gringotts vault.
Wow, I completely missed that. Time for another re-read.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 24th, 2011, 7:41 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemusLupinFan View Post
just another thought on that. we know that the goblins are greedy about their gold, and they only let specific people into their vaults. they would have obvisouly known about sirius' escape and then a few months later someone is taking money out of sirius' account couldnt they have put 2 and 2 together? or are they just about the money

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old August 24th, 2011, 7:43 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyjets4004 View Post
just another thought on that. we know that the goblins are greedy about their gold, and they only let specific people into their vaults. they would have obvisouly known about sirius' escape and then a few months later someone is taking money out of sirius' account couldnt they have put 2 and 2 together? or are they just about the money
Actually, if it is Sirius' bank vault (and not the Black family vault), shouldn't the Ministry have frozen his accounts once he escaped?

Old August 24th, 2011, 8:55 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by blknight7 View Post
Actually, if it is Sirius' bank vault (and not the Black family vault), shouldn't the Ministry have frozen his accounts once he escaped?
The Ministry probably doesn't have that kind of control over the goblins' banking system. Gringotts doesn't appear to be under any government regulations like Muggle banking.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old August 24th, 2011, 9:24 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyCrown View Post
He completely forgot about it. When Sirius gave Harry the parcel he tells Harry to "use it if you need me". But Harry doesn't want to be the one who leads Sirius into danger, so he just puts the parcel away without even opening it. When he finds it again at the end of the book he at first doesn't even remember where it comes from. Only then does he unwrap it and discover what it is.

It's imo oppinion the biggest tragic irony of the story that Harry doesn't open the parcel because he doesn't want to be the one who lures Sirius out of hiding and then ends up luring Sirius to his death precisely because he didn't use the mirror.

Though I have to say I alway wondered why Sirius didn't remind Harry of the mirror when they spoke about his father.

Old August 24th, 2011, 9:27 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Time for version 20!

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References