Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Little Questions Answered v.19

Old August 21st, 2011, 4:21 am
Zonko's Employee

Re: Little Questions Answered v.19

That Snape was brave and would have been sorted elsewhere, perhaps Gryffindor, if sorted later on than as an 11-year-old

Here he is on a summer vacation trip to the Canary Islands with Fluffy, his second favorite dog.
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2011, 4:59 am
Leader of the GLITTELUTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severus4everus View Post
I have a question... in the books Dumbledore says to Snape "I sometimes think we sort too soon" after Snape says that Karkaroff is going to flee if the dark mark burns again or something. what did he mean?
I've believe I've seen a couple interpretations of this, but I think the most popular is that DD is saying Snape was brave enough to have been sorted into Gryffindor. I feel this interpretation is supported by his previous statement that Snape is braver by far than Karkaroff.

DH"No," agreed Dumbledore. "You are a braver man by far than Igor Karkaroff. You know, I sometimes think we Sort too soon..."
He walked away, leaving Snape looking stricken...

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Old August 21st, 2011, 5:55 am
I gave String Theory to my Cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumoshemuttered View Post
It's kind of the same concept as an Unbreakable Vow; that's how I took it, at least. The books are pretty vague as to what actually happens if you don't go through with it (I think Ron says simply that you die if you break an Unbreakable Vow) but the point is, the Goblet of Fire is binding.

Obviously, it would have killed the plot, but I always wondered if there was some sort of loophole to have Harry technically "compete" without really competing- what if, for the second task, he just swam around for a couple of minutes before getting lost and surrendering, wink wink? Maybe part of the binding contract is that you need to genuinely try.
That's how I read it, as well. The seriousness and finality with which they talk about the 'magically binding contract' leads me to assume that it was a life and death situation- there literally was no choice but to have him compete. And yes, I think that Harry not giving his all would incur similar dire consequences, just judging by their tone.

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress."

"It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it."
Joseph Joubert

"...He seeks to know himself and his fellow man rather than to know a god. An Atheist believes that a hospital should be built instead of a church. An Atheist believes that a deed must be done instead of a prayer said. An Atheist strives for involvement in life and not escape into death..." -Madalyn Murray
Old August 21st, 2011, 6:06 am
Second Year

why didn't harry see the threstalls in the third year, he did see quirrell dying.
(second year, he didnt use the carriages, i think)

Old August 21st, 2011, 6:10 am
Second Year

Seems Harry actually passed out before Voldemort left quirrel's body and killed him. He was not conscious of it at the time.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:40 pm
Third Year

Something I've wondered since reading HBP; can Dumbledore speak/understand Parseltongue?
I didn't think he could or he would have heard the snake in CoS but he never asked Harry to translate what the Gaunts and Voldy were saying in the Pensieve so it made me wonder if he learned it at some stage?

Old August 22nd, 2011, 11:41 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss_Gaunt View Post
Something I've wondered since reading HBP; can Dumbledore speak/understand Parseltongue?
I didn't think he could or he would have heard the snake in CoS but he never asked Harry to translate what the Gaunts and Voldy were saying in the Pensieve so it made me wonder if he learned it at some stage?
According to Rowling, he can at least understand it. The HBP pensieve scenes seem to verify this. We've never seen or heard of him speaking it, though.

Cornets acoustiques et de glace!

Pottermore Beta Tester, First Batch (2011-08-15)
ChaserQuaffle211
Ravenclaw (about what I expected)
14-1/2 inches, redwood with phoenix feather core, brittle
Russian blue cat
Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:50 am
First Year

i wonder who became head of slytherin house after snape died? i bet it was slughorn...

Pottermore Beta Tester!

Name: UnicornQuill
House: Slytherin
Wand: Laurel Wood with Unicorn Core 12 1/4 inches... Surprisingly Swishy
Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:58 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
i wonder who became head of slytherin house after snape died? i bet it was slughorn...
I suspect Slughorn was Head of House while Snape was Headmaster that last year because a headmaster should be impartial as far as the houses are concerned. Ideally, that is.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; August 23rd, 2011 at 9:02 am.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:08 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxhpxox View Post
Will the position of the "Auror" job still be available now that the Dark Lord has been vanquished?
The Department of Aurors does continue after Voldermort's demise.
JKR has posted on her official website that Harry Potter joined the Aurors at the age of seventeen under the leadership of Kingsley Shacklebolt. He later became Head of Department.

There would be plenty of work for the Aurors to do; lots of Death Eaters and their supporters to track down. Those that don't quietly "disappear" would have to be herded into camps for "re-education".

The Ministry of Magic would be very afraid of another Dark Lord appearing. It would the Aurors job to look for signs. Everyone would come under suspicion: everybody's movements and meetings would be watched: all means of communication would be monitored: all independant publishers would be silenced: Hogworts students would be recruted to report any sings of their fellows turning to the Dark Side.

Anyone who stepped out of line would be hauled in for "vigorous" questioning and the Department of Aurors would aquire the nick-name of Keep Grinding Bureau.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:30 am
First Year

I'm sorry if this has been asked already but does anybody know if its possible to be 'transformed' into a girl if you take polyjuice potion and you're actually a boy?
Sorry, I know its an unusual question, but I was just wondering if anybody knows?

Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:44 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffindorL View Post
I'm sorry if this has been asked already but does anybody know if its possible to be 'transformed' into a girl if you take polyjuice potion and you're actually a boy?
Sorry, I know its an unusual question, but I was just wondering if anybody knows?
I think it must be, because Tonks, Hermione and Fleur used polyjuice potion to transform into Harry, in the battle of the seven Potters.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:55 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryffindorL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwendolen View Post
I think it must be, because Tonks, Hermione and Fleur used polyjuice potion to transform into Harry, in the battle of the seven Potters.
Actually, not Tonks - she was the Auror protecting Ron, but otherwise - yes in the example you cited.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 1:51 pm
Second Year

Quote:
It's most probably that it was Slughorn as he was the Head of Slytherin while Snape was Headmaster

the Battle of Hogwarts, Deathly Hallows'I shall expect you and the Slytherins in the Great Hall in twenty minutes, also. If you wish to leave with your students, we shall not stop you. But if any of you attempt to sabotage our resistance, or take up arms against within this castle, then, Horace, we duel to kill.'
'Minerva!'
'The time has come for Slytherin House to decide upon its loyalties. Go and wake your students, Horace.'

so I think he just took the job permanently now he didn't have to worry about DE anymore.

'No story lives unless someone wants to read it. The stories we love best DO live in us forever. So whether you come by page or by the big screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you HOME.' - J.K.Rowling.
'And I just wanna say that, amm... I've loved every minute and thank you all very very much' -Dan Radcliffe

SORTED INTO GRYFFINDOR!!

Proud member of the POTTERMORE BATTALION
Old August 23rd, 2011, 6:45 pm
First Year

Hi, I'm new here and I've got some questions:

How come paintings/portraits are magical so the people in them can talk, walk, think and speak? How do they make them? Couldn’t Harry have had one made of Sirius (and his parents) and then talk to them like people talked to the fat lady and the previous headmasters of Hogwarts?

How did Sirius manage to buy a broomstick for Harry, being wanted for escaping Azkaban and how did he get an owl to send it to Harry? He was living in a cave eating rats so I guess he didn’t have money (because how would he be able to have money when he came straight from Azkaban?) and being wanted he couldn’t walk into Gringotts getting some even if he had gold there. Also, he didn’t have a wand so he couldn’t use magic getting the broomstick.

Sorry to ask this but English is not my first language: What’s the difference between a hex, jinx and a charm?

Thanks!

Old August 23rd, 2011, 8:47 pm
Second Year

Did Harry lose his Parselmouth ability after Voldemort died? Just wondering this, it was never mentioned in the books, I think. I haven't re-read them in a while maybe I just forgot...

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio182 View Post
Did Harry lose his Parselmouth ability after Voldemort died? Just wondering this, it was never mentioned in the books, I think. I haven't re-read them in a while maybe I just forgot...
It was confirmed in an interview with Jo that he can no longer speak Parseltongue.

Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:29 pm
Malum Veneficus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saawan
How did Sirius manage to buy a broomstick for Harry, being wanted for escaping Azkaban and how did he get an owl to send it to Harry? He was living in a cave eating rats so I guess he didn’t have money (because how would he be able to have money when he came straight from Azkaban?) and being wanted he couldn’t walk into Gringotts getting some even if he had gold there. Also, he didn’t have a wand so he couldn’t use magic getting the broomstick.
If I remember correctly, Sirius explained to Harry that he had sent Crookshanks to order the Firebolt by Harry's name, but take the money from Sirius' vault.
Sirius definitely had money, even if he may not have been able to access it, personally. He was the last living member of the Black family, so the family's fortune was his.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:41 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinemortophobia View Post
It was confirmed in an interview with Jo that he can no longer speak Parseltongue.
That's a disappointment, I actually like that attribute from wizards, and if Harry still had it, he would definitely be one in a million.

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old August 23rd, 2011, 9:45 pm
First Year

I always wondered about that arrangement, though. He said he ordered the broom in Harry's name but asked them to take the money from his vault. Now how could that have been authorized? Sirius couldn't just write a note saying, hey take the money from my vault, could he? They'd either need a key or valid proof of vault ownership to get anything out, and I don't think Sirius would have a key. Nor is it likely that a wanted murderer on the run would be able to validate ownership. I don't know, I thought that was unlikely.

Maple with unicorn core, 11 and a quarter inches, slightly springy!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References