Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Albus S. Potter - Slytherin or Gryffindor?

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:30 pm
Sixth Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter

I think Albus showing fear of getting into Slytherin is just the same as Harry showing fear of getting into Slytherin in his first year. This is probably just to show how alike Albus and Harry are.

I'm sure if the story ever continued, although it's never gona, we'd find out that Albus would be in Gryffindor after all.

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:33 pm
Second Year

I dont know... Theres something about Albus Potter in that Epilogue that makes me see him as really similar to Harry in personality AND looks, much like James to Harry. Like when Harry started Hogwarts, he too panicked about his house... It feels like when JKR wrote that Epilogue, she made it seem as though history was sort of repeating itself... Even with Draco having a son the same age.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:35 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
but anyway, I just love what Harry said to him about Snape. I can read that line over and over and over again; that's what I'm doing these past three days.
I know me too. It is by far my favorite quote from the book and I just am brought to tears everytime it comes up.

I think it really emphazises that Harry thinks it would be okay if his son was in Slytherian and he will still love him either way. He himself would have been sorted there if it wasn't for him choosing Gryffindor. I think that Albus was suppose to be left with the feeling of unconditional love from his father and I think it is very possible that he would be sorted into Slytherian.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:35 pm
First Year

I thought it was so heartwarming for Harry to name his son after Severus as well. It brought tears to my eyes! I think he'll be in Gryffindor though. The name does sound a bit odd though, because they both end with the "us." oh well

~Sirius Black~
Old July 24th, 2007, 4:37 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinoe View Post
It feels like when JKR wrote that Epilogue, she made it seem as though history was sort of repeating itself... Even with Draco having a son the same age.
Or that by Harry giving his son the middle name of Severus and telling his son that he is named after a Slytherian it is showing how the houses had finally become united. Malfoy having a son the same age may show that the next generation can put their differenaces behind them and move on into a new era... Gryffindor and Slytherian friends again...

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:38 pm
First Year

I think the moment when Severus whispers, "Look...At...Me..." to Harry was the most powerful to me, once I knew what it meant. Severus dies staring into Lily's eyes, the woman he loved unrequitingly for so long.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:40 pm
First Year

You know, what Harry tells Al does make the epilogue really an epilogue. It show that some things will always be the same, but also that some things change. Harry has learned that Slytherin isn't all bad. So yeah, it would be kinda fun if Al turned out to be a Slytherin.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Arithmancer

I think Albus Severus is a great name personally. I'm sure Harry and Ginny had a lots of time in between the final battle and having the child to talk about, discuss, and think about Snape and all that he'd done. Really a tribute to both Albus and Severus to name their child after them.

As for Albus Severus having fears and doubts about being in Slytherin, I believe he'll end up in Gryffindor because Harry had his fears and doubts about being in Slytherin and made a choice so therefore I'm betting on Albus Severus doing the same thing.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:42 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEWEASLEYS04 View Post
Or that by Harry giving his son the middle name of Severus and telling his son that he is named after a Slytherian it is showing how the houses had finally become united. Malfoy having a son the same age may show that the next generation can put their differenaces behind them and move on into a new era... Gryffindor and Slytherian friends again...
Yeah I sort of felt that in the sense that Draco nodded at the trio and Ginny. It was a nice touch that Harry really appreciated what Snape had done for Harry, or more for Lily. He understood that Snape had cared. But Albus Severus IMO was a bit too much. It was as if it was completely Harrys choice of names for all three children.

Anyone else though, see alot of great FF from this new generation of Hogwarts students? I arent though, too keen on the idea of no rivalry between the houses.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:51 pm
First Year

Re: Albus Severus Potter?

I think that if Jo ever decides to continue the story in some way, she'll only do it if she has enough ideas in mind to produce something on par with what's already been written. I'd love to know what happens to Albus and the other kids at Hogwarts, and I'd love to read about the trio's adult lives, but I can't see it happening anytime soon given how decisively DH ended the story.

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:51 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry514 View Post
I think the moment when Severus whispers, "Look...At...Me..." to Harry was the most powerful to me, once I knew what it meant. Severus dies staring into Lily's eyes, the woman he loved unrequitingly for so long.
WOW !!!!!!!!!!! thats really well said . I think by naming this son after Severus he paid Snape the greatest tribute possible . It doesn't really matter whether Albus will be in Gryf or Sly has the good qualities of both of them already ( he will probably while sitting under the sorting hat wil say " not slytherin not slytherin " just like his " Father "

Old July 24th, 2007, 4:52 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry514 View Post
I believe that the epilogue focused around Albus Severus's anxiety surrounding being in Slytherin to show that Harry had grown past his hatred of Slytherin and Snape. Ron's mention of Draco and Scorpius shows that he is not as forgiving, which also emphasizes how incredible Harry really is. He was able to look past Snape's facade once he realized who he really was and embraced the good in Snape. Just like the Invisibility Cloak, Harry's incredible personality is taken for granted because he is the main character. He really is special, and that's why he was able to defeat Tom Riddle.
I think you have summed it up very nicely here. The name was to indicate that Harry understood and respected the sacrifices that Snape had made on his behalf - Snape's life for one. The Prince's Tale was the most touching part of the book and Harry's appreciation of and honoring of Snape by naming his child after him, was the whole payoff of the series for me.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:00 pm
First Year

Albus Severus Potter...poor kid. Seriously, what was Harry thinking giving him such a ridiculous name? lol. Nah, it was a nice touch, I guess...
I suppose it would be nice to know what happened to him and the rest of trio's kids...I'd like to know what houses they ended up in. But I don't think I'd like JKR to write any books about it. I think we've had enough stories about Harry's world, and I wouldn't want to be disappointed by anymore Hogwarts stories. I really like the idea of her doing a HP encyclopaedia, though. That would be great.
I wasn't too keen on the epilogue, to be honest. But I remember reading it and smiling cause I was just thinking of how many fanfiction authors would love it for all the new characters and opportunities it provided. Wonder if JKR ever thought about that. lol

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:08 pm
Third Year

I think it's a very fitting name for Albus to be named after DD and Snape. I'm looking at my bookmark from Border's now asking if Snape is good or evil, laughing my head off. As DD said to Harry at King's Cross, Harry is the better man, especially for being able to get over Snape giving away the info to LV about his parents. With all that happened to Harry in the 1st almost 18 years of his life, it took a lot of character for him to name his children after the two departed Headmasters. Ya, it was a bit expected that Lily, James, Severus and Albus would live on through the kids of Harry and Ginny, but hey, you don't know all of their middle names, some James Fredrick or Lily Nymphadora's could be in the mix, Ginny could have had her mark of rememberence too. They both suffered great casualties in their lives, and wanted the fallen to live on through their children. All in all, good choice with the names.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:20 pm
Third Year

no, i wouldn't want Jo to write another book on one character. No one would tease Albus Severus Potter because he is named after heroes, he quite a lucky lad actually.

Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow, Like fragile tiny shells, Drifting in the foam.
Little soldier boy, come marching home
Brave soldier boy, comes marching home.

We miss you Uncle Iroh

Proud member of OFINOA (obsessed fans in need of Avatar)

Germany to win Euro 08
Old July 24th, 2007, 5:28 pm
Qvack...

Albus Severus, forthwith known as Al, seems to me to be the embodiment of his own father in a way. Harry didn't want to be in Slytherin at all, and so the hat helped him on his way to Gryffindor, and truly threw him in the direction of his own fate.

Al seems to be so disappointed with Slytherin being a chance for him, but Harry tells him, truthfully, that the bravest man he ever knew came from Slytherin. He has finally realised that the hat can be wrong.

THE DUCK.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:31 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiorri View Post
I think it's a very fitting name for Albus to be named after DD and Snape. I'm looking at my bookmark from Border's now asking if Snape is good or evil, laughing my head off. As DD said to Harry at King's Cross, Harry is the better man, especially for being able to get over Snape giving away the info to LV about his parents. With all that happened to Harry in the 1st almost 18 years of his life, it took a lot of character for him to name his children after the two departed Headmasters. Ya, it was a bit expected that Lily, James, Severus and Albus would live on through the kids of Harry and Ginny, but hey, you don't know all of their middle names, some James Fredrick or Lily Nymphadora's could be in the mix, Ginny could have had her mark of rememberence too. They both suffered great casualties in their lives, and wanted the fallen to live on through their children. All in all, good choice with the names.
Oh I really hope not. As sweet and respectfull as it is to name children in the memory of others, its also pretty creepy.

Why name somebody after someone you've loved? Surely everyone deserves there own identity. Theres no need to reuse a name. It shows respect, but in a really strange way IMO... Middle names I understand but not Albus Severus, Lily and James.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:35 pm
First Year

Harry naming his son after Snape is just about the sweetest thing that I have ever seen. There were so many points in the book where I just wanted to burst into tears and I stopped myself so I could continue reading, but the clencher was when Harry told Al that he was named after two Hogwarts headmasters and the latter was the bravest man he ever knew.

Harry forgave Snape, and he even seemed to regard him as a hero. Meanwhile, I love Harry as a father. He just seems amazing at the role. (Was there ever any doubt, though?)

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:42 pm
Sixth Year

I liked little Albus but in a way, what a burden....carrying the names of two great wizards....Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape. Not to mention Harry Potter being your dad.
I kind of hope he winds up in Ravenclaw.

Old July 24th, 2007, 5:43 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fayth View Post
but why do people still hate Slytherin? there are no DE for 19 years now, so all the houses of Hogwarts are good! but anyway, I just love what Harry said to him about Snape. I can read that line over and over and over again; that's what I'm doing these past three days.
If a Wizard goes bad doesnt mean they have to be a death eater.

I'M STRONG

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References