Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #121  
Old October 14th, 2010, 7:17 pm
Hagrid442  Male.gif Hagrid442 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5713 days
Location: Illinois
Age: 40
Posts: 1,694
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Cringeworthy: Yeah, I'd have to go with the opening non-canon scene, not so much because it was a bad scene but because of what it replaced. Dumbledore telling the Dursleys off could have been an enjoyable scene. It was just more of the producers relegating the Dursleys to irrelevance which is wrongheaded IMO.

The scenes with Ginny and Harry are all awkward. Awkward isn't in of itself bad because it is to be expected between people of that age and inexperience. No, the problem was they were badly scripted and poorly acted and forced. Oh and the Room of Requirement kiss scene was another affront to canon.

The worst scene is the attack on the Burrow. Totally non-canon. Totally a waste of 3-4 minutes that could have gone to more meaningful canon scenes that were cut like a pensieve scene with Merope Gaunt and Tom Riddle Jr. and the OoTP fighting Death Eaters at Hogwarts.

Emotional: The only one that gets me emotional is when Harry's crying over Dumbledore's body and the teachers and students raise their wands and light them. Probably because the only scene in the books that jerks a tear out of me. The scene could have been done better since they leave out Fawkes' song, but the symbolism of the light from the wands extinguishing the Dark Mark is a good touch.


__________________
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old October 15th, 2010, 12:38 am
madfretter  Undisclosed.gif madfretter is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2837 days
Posts: 21
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
Well, let's attempt to define an acceptable reason here: should every scene be in absolute service to moving the storyline forward, in the strictest sense? For example, Hermione leaning on Ron and Harry may seem wasteful to some, but for others, it's arguable that it's in fact a sweet demonstration of their friendship and establishes the relaxed atmosphere before they discover Katie, which makes the subsequent scene all the more jarring (as it should be, in my opinion). If we applied a strict definition of what constitutes an acceptable reason, I think we would have to remove many moments that don't necessarily move the plot along, but establish the little things that in some ways make the storyline feel all the more meaningful.



I know this is a controversial change for fans, but I'm OK with it for a few reasons:

1) It makes the scene all the more powerful because Harry, under Dumbledore's established conditions (chiefly, that he must obey every command without question), is trusting that he can handle the situation. Throughout the entire scene, the discomfort on his face is evident as he walks beneath the boards, keeping his wand at the ready, but he is nevertheless placing the ultimate faith in his companion.

2) Dumbledore requested that Harry summon Snape to the tower. Despite Harry's concerns about Snape's character and whether or not he truly did perform the Unbreakable Vow, I'm sure the words of Remus were haunting him: "Dumbledore trusts Snape; therefore, I do." When Snape appeared by Harry and seemed to indicate that he was going to handle the situation as instructed, Harry nodded.

3) For the next two films, it could not only emphasize Harry's issues with the truthfulness of Dumbledore but also the fact that he, in his most desperate moment, trusted Snape in spite of every objection that he could have raised. And that trust was shattered.
I see your reasoning and I would normally agree with you if this was a stand alone movie, but as Harry's character is thoroughly developed as a self sacrificing hero who disregards all authority (including Dumbledore's) and advice when it comes to the lives of others... I think this was a poor choice on their parts to go against a well defined character.


Reply With Quote
  #123  
Old October 15th, 2010, 1:22 am
SunXia  Female.gif SunXia is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3429 days
Age: 30
Posts: 301
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

I agree because the continuity in the films has just been so silly!!

Post-Columbus films have lost my faith due to their pointless scenes!!


__________________
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Sun_Xia/bleach_Nelsignature.gif
If becoming enlightened or intellectual means becoming cynical and arrogant about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool all my life!!!
Reply With Quote
  #124  
Old October 15th, 2010, 3:17 am
Hagrid442  Male.gif Hagrid442 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 5713 days
Location: Illinois
Age: 40
Posts: 1,694
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

One thing that bothered me is the lack of rage on Snape's part after Harry performed Sectumsempra on Draco. In fact the whole aftermath was all but cut from the film.


__________________
“When facism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.” - Sinclair Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #125  
Old October 15th, 2010, 3:51 am
theboywholived8  Female.gif theboywholived8 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3043 days
Location: Chicago-ish
Age: 28
Posts: 197
Re: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevrusSnape View Post
The hardest scenes for me to watch were all the scenes involving Harry and Ginny. I didn't really feel that they did a good job on those. I thought the time they were in the ROR was the worst of the bunch and the worst line was when she brings up his shoelace
It was hard enough having to accept their relationship when I first read about (because it seemed to have come from left field, imo), but having to watch it onscreen was somewhat worse. I agree about the RoR scene. The dialogue that took place between them was awkward enough to make me squirm a little. And that shoelace fiasco...was there supposed to be some sort of subliminal sexual innuendo? Anyway, I agree with you 100%. But these were my initinal complaints about the film. They've since become minor issues

In terms of scenes that were to difficult to handle emotionally, I'd have to say watching Dumbledore suffer while forcing himself to ingest the potion in the cave was was the worse for me.


Reply With Quote
  #126  
Old October 15th, 2010, 4:59 am
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4013 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

As far a emotional impact, the scene where Severus kills Dumbledore. Rickman has such a pained look on his face. And, when Dumbledore says, "Severus. Please." Oh, my. It's just so sad.

As for "hardest to watch because they're awful," for me, there are so many:
  • the burning of the Burrow
  • Harry and Ginny in most of their scenes, especially in the Room of Requirement
  • Harry, Ron, and Hermoine spying on Draco and Narcissa in Nockturn Alley
  • while I thought the Sectumsempra scene was great, what there was of it, I agree, the whole incident was way underplayed
  • Bella flitting through the swamp at the Burrow chanting "I killed Sirius Black"
  • Bella dancing on the tables and breaking dishes and windows in the Great Hall

There are more that are truly painful, but, these are enough for right now

Oh, I do have to add the cave scene. The only thing that kept me from actually crying was that it was Gambon instead of Harris playing Dumbledore. Harris so perfectly fit what I pictured Dumbledore to be, appearing old and a bit dottering, but underneath that, the most powerful wizard alive. The "iron fist in a velvet glove" to use an old cliche'. To have watched him suffer having to drink that poison would have been really painful.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.

Last edited by MinervasCat; October 15th, 2010 at 5:06 am.
Reply With Quote
  #127  
Old October 15th, 2010, 5:19 am
LaDonna  Female.gif LaDonna is offline
Fourth Year
 
Joined: 4530 days
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 535
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

For me, it was at Christmas break when Ginny came and sat down by Harry on the couch and offered him food. After she offers him food, she asks "Don't you trust me?". This scene comes after we hear Hermione tell Harry that girls are trying to slip him love potions. I hated that scene. It was weird, did not benefit the story or romance in any way, and almost made the near kiss that follows later suspect.

Ginny was one of my favorite characters in book 5 and 6, and I was really looking forward to her part and her and Harry's romance in HBP. I was hugely disappointed. But that scene on the couch was the worst. I don't mind scenes made up for the film that weren't in the book, as long as they add to the story. That scene, however, did not add to the story, and in my opinion, was weird enough to take me out of the story and the developing romance.


Reply With Quote
  #128  
Old October 15th, 2010, 5:32 am
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4013 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

I agree, LaDonna. The whole romance thing between Harry and Ginny was almost a natural transition in the books, but, HBP made it awkward and forced.

Another scene that I grit my teeth every time I see it is the "yelling through the Burrow for Harry" scene. Why didn't they just have Harry wade out of the swamp and knock on the door? Ginny could have noticed Hedwig and Harry's trunk just before he got to the door and then answered it and hugged him there. I think that would have moved a lot smoother than the way it was done. I mean, what was the point of everyone yelling that they hadn't seen Harry? It was like a poor immitation of the Walton's "good night" scene.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Reply With Quote
  #129  
Old October 30th, 2010, 3:05 pm
exl2398  Female.gif exl2398 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2820 days
Location: ohio
Age: 37
Posts: 269
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post


So out of all of the scenes in the film, what was the hardest one for you to watch? And why?

I would have to say the hardest one for me to watch was when Dumbldore was drinking the potion in the cave to get the Horcrux. He was in so much pain, and seeing Dumbledore so vulnerable was just really hard to watch.
this, and watching snape kill dumbledore in light of kowing why from DH.


Reply With Quote
  #130  
Old October 30th, 2010, 3:38 pm
ShireMagic  Female.gif ShireMagic is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2884 days
Location: United Kingdom
Age: 23
Posts: 30
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
As for "hardest to watch because they're awful," for me, there are so many:
  • the burning of the Burrow
  • Harry and Ginny in most of their scenes, especially in the Room of Requirement
  • Harry, Ron, and Hermoine spying on Draco and Narcissa in Nockturn Alley
  • while I thought the Sectumsempra scene was great, what there was of it, I agree, the whole incident was way underplayed
^All those things above. I find most of the movie hard to watch actually. In that first scene in the Underground Cafe, that boy in the glasses isn't Harry as far as i'm concerned.

Hardest scene to watch emotionally? I'm not quite sure, I suppose Dumbledore on the lake was quite emotional but his death didn't affect me at all. At all. That was a real disappointment


__________________

Harry Potter... The Boy Who Lived.
Giving it all for the red and gold!
Pottermore: SpiritSnidget3
Reply With Quote
  #131  
Old March 19th, 2011, 2:16 am
adorey1  Undisclosed.gif adorey1 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2801 days
Posts: 170
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

i have 3 scenes that i find very hard to watch.

1) the speech that slughorn gives about the day lily died and the fish-turning-into-a-flower disappearing.

2) hermione's reaction to ron kissing lavender

3) but the 'poof!' scene in hagrid's hut is the hardest scene for me to watch because the first time i watched it i almost wet myself laughing!


__________________
Image removed - 300 x 300px maximum


Until the very end.
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old March 19th, 2011, 3:14 am
Pensieve_Seeker  Female.gif Pensieve_Seeker is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2936 days
Location: Midwest
Posts: 193
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaDonna View Post
For me, it was at Christmas break when Ginny came and sat down by Harry on the couch and offered him food. After she offers him food, she asks "Don't you trust me?". This scene comes after we hear Hermione tell Harry that girls are trying to slip him love potions. I hated that scene. It was weird, did not benefit the story or romance in any way, and almost made the near kiss that follows later suspect.
Hermione never said "Harry, girls are trying to slip you love potions." What she said was "See that girl over there? That's Romilda Vane. Apparently she's been trying to smuggle you a love potion."


Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old March 19th, 2011, 3:22 am
Nagini001  Female.gif Nagini001 is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 3223 days
Location: Slytherin Common Room
Age: 27
Posts: 157
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Most definatly when Dumbledore was killed, from reading the book it was expected in the movie, but you get a real visual of how it all went.


__________________
Proud Slytherin
"Welcome, my friends. Thirteen years it's been, and yet,
here you stand as if it were only yesterday.
I confess myself... disappointed.
Not one of you tried to find me..." -Lord Voldemort
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old March 19th, 2011, 2:30 pm
ILuvDarkMarks's Avatar
ILuvDarkMarks  Female.gif ILuvDarkMarks is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 4741 days
Location: Pigfarts
Posts: 442
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Definitely the opening scene when Harry asks some random girl out on a date. It made no sense considering what they were replacing; the Dursleys would have so much better.

All of the Harry and Ginny scenes, especially the Room of Requirement and Christmas. For two people that end up married, they act so awkward together. Their kiss in the RoR aggravates me because Harry and Cho full on made out and he only gets a quick peck from Ginny. Strange...

A lot of people mentioned the burning of the Burrow, but I didn't really mind it. Of course, I'd much rather they kept in the battle, but however out of place the scene was, it did bring up a lot of emotion and was very well done.


__________________
"So whether you come back by page or by screen, Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home," JK Rowling


Hufflepuff Pride
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old March 19th, 2011, 6:41 pm
Harsh_Potter  Undisclosed.gif Harsh_Potter is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 4609 days
Posts: 132
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlytherinGirl93 View Post
The hardest thing to watch was Dumbledore drinking in the cave, because it was sad and great acted. But all the Ginny/Harry moments where perhaps even harder to watch, because I don't like Bonnie in HBP. The whole movie long was there no emotion on her face. I also don't like the scene where the Burrow burns. Most of the Weasleys were pretty calm. If that would have been my house, I would have screamed and sweared to the Death Eaters.
Exactly. Even during the time Ginny yells 'SHUT IT' during Quidditch practice, her face is blank.

And the film Ginny is all mousy and meek. Book Ginny would have quite a few words to say about film Ginny and they would not be kind!


__________________
I want to Obliviate myself and then re-read the whole H.P series again!
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old March 19th, 2011, 9:45 pm
leah49's Avatar
leah49  Female.gif leah49 is offline
Ron's Pygmy Puff
 
Joined: 3990 days
Location: Weasley's Wizard Wheezes
Age: 35
Posts: 6,390
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I agree, LaDonna. The whole romance thing between Harry and Ginny was almost a natural transition in the books, but, HBP made it awkward and forced.

Another scene that I grit my teeth every time I see it is the "yelling through the Burrow for Harry" scene. Why didn't they just have Harry wade out of the swamp and knock on the door? Ginny could have noticed Hedwig and Harry's trunk just before he got to the door and then answered it and hugged him there. I think that would have moved a lot smoother than the way it was done. I mean, what was the point of everyone yelling that they hadn't seen Harry? It was like a poor immitation of the Walton's "good night" scene.
I like that scene. It shows the scope of the Burrow. A non-reader doesn't know much about the house and a reader knows that it's got many levels. It's a good way to show just what that house is, I think.

The hardest scene for me to watch is when Ginny ties Harry's shoelace. I can take the Burrow burning down, I like that scene, but this part just gets me. It's so awkward and out of place.


__________________



I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old March 20th, 2011, 12:23 am
Rookie_Angel's Avatar
Rookie_Angel  Female.gif Rookie_Angel is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3984 days
Posts: 450
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

The bird in the cabinet is really hard to watch, especially re-watching and knowing it's coming, sort of pre-figuring part of Draco dying when he has to force himself to do things he doesn't really want to, though the Inferi scene and the drinking of the fluid was painful, too.

The scene with the girl in the station seemed in character for Harry, if not Dumbledore, per se. It did 'take me out' of the movie a bit, because the analyst in me realized why they probably did it, trying to emphasize a (non-canonical) idea that Harry spent a lot of time escaping from the Dursleys unhappy world by riding on trains, hanging out in stations, etc., to emphasive the (canonical) idea that they were a blessing and an escape for him, maybe because they reminded him of heading off to Hogwarts and being accepted, etc.

In other words, I think they were doing a heavy foreshadowing/setup for why "King's Cross" winds up to look to Harry like King's Cross--so in the last film it's clear to film viewers--"because trains and stations mean so much to him, you know...he always was drawn to trains and stations, you know, as you saw in part 6..."


__________________

Last edited by Rookie_Angel; March 20th, 2011 at 12:25 am.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old March 20th, 2011, 3:45 am
Colin_Creevey  Undisclosed.gif Colin_Creevey is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2682 days
Location: Godric's Hollow
Posts: 7
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

All the Harry-Ginny scenes are painful (yet hilarious) to watch, they are just so incredibly awkward. Why do we need to see her tie his shoe? But the worst is the "Zip me up will you" in DH.
I also found the Harry-Hermione dance scene in DH extremely pointless and painful, but extremely funny-I nearly wet myself laughing.


__________________
"He can move faster then Severus Snape confronted with shampoo"
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old March 21st, 2011, 9:45 pm
No_Name  Female.gif No_Name is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2721 days
Location: The Hague
Age: 21
Posts: 42
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

That part with the lake, I was like, omgomgomg, there comes the hand, there comes the hand, I can't watch I can't watch I can't watch, and then, when I just peeked through my eyelashes the hand came, and I almost jumped to the ceiling. (I was like 11 or something, it was rather... Scary....)


__________________
1+1=∞

You say Death Eater as if it's a bad thing!

sorted
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old March 22nd, 2011, 2:52 am
TheScribbler  Female.gif TheScribbler is offline
Second Year
 
Joined: 2915 days
Location: Having tea in the TARDIS
Posts: 167
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Even though I'm not a big Draco fan, I have to say that the part in the bathroom where he's completely upset really made it hard to watch for me. And then after Harry had cursed him, seeing Draco twitch and moan on the floor was really sad. I felt so bad for him.
Also, like everyone else, when Dumbledore drank the potion. I felt Harry's despair then.


__________________

--
"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic."
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 1:35 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.