Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

HBP: Hardest scene to watch



Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #101  
Old October 7th, 2010, 9:05 am
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 3947 days
Age: 31
Posts: 5,657
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post

Also about the Ginny/Harry burgeoning romance thing, I doubt I was the only one who had a sudden moment of "WHAAAAAT??!!" when Ginny, standing no more than half a foot from Harry, suddenly went down on her knee. I found the whole thing awkward and uncomfortable to watch, which, it seems, is what they were going for throughout most of the movie with G and H.
No, I'm not sure what you mean...unless you had the same inappropriate thought as the guys sitting in front of me when I first saw it...they snickered and said "while you're down there..." Otherwise no, I didn't think it was uncomfortable to watch. Actually I think that would have been a much better moment for the kiss...too bad it was broken up by the Death Eaters. Would've been much better then in the RoR.

Now something I did find awkward was the scene where she's feeding him but I digress...


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; October 7th, 2010 at 9:07 am.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #102  
Old October 7th, 2010, 6:00 pm
Melisa  Female.gif Melisa is offline
New HP kid in town
 
Joined: 3345 days
Location: Camelot
Posts: 118
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfitz View Post
Also about the Ginny/Harry burgeoning romance thing, I doubt I was the only one who had a sudden moment of "WHAAAAAT??!!" when Ginny, standing no more than half a foot from Harry, suddenly went down on her knee.
I agree, this moment made me cringe. When she bent down on her knees I went
I also hated the way Hermione seemed to be tipsy when she leaves the Three Broomsticks What is that supposed to add to the storyline?


__________________
You can call me Mal
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old October 7th, 2010, 6:29 pm
MC2456's Avatar
MC2456  Female.gif MC2456 is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4194 days
Location: Eryn Lasgalen
Age: 25
Posts: 1,457
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
No, I'm not sure what you mean...unless you had the same inappropriate thought as the guys sitting in front of me when I first saw it...they snickered and said "while you're down there..." Otherwise no, I didn't think it was uncomfortable to watch.
I felt it was a ridiculous scene. Firstly, he was going up to bed. Secondly, can't he tie his own shoelace? It's not as if he had a broken arm or something. Honestly, if I was a guy and a girl tied my shoelace, I wouldn't find it attractive. I would feel awkward.


__________________

Gryffindor


UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old October 7th, 2010, 6:33 pm
SwedishSkinJer's Avatar
SwedishSkinJer  Male.gif SwedishSkinJer is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3534 days
Location: Galatea Merrythought's office
Age: 28
Posts: 1,666
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
What is that supposed to add to the storyline?
That Hermione had too much Butterbeer? It only lasted for, what, a few seconds before they discovered the scene outside, so it's not like it took such an inordinate amount of time away from the storytelling. Personally, I found it cute when she put her arms around Harry and Ron, and it added to the very relaxed atmosphere outside before the focus shifted.


__________________
<3 Voldemort's first participation in group affection...<3
"Oi! There's a war going on here, you four!"

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old October 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm
lcbaseball22  Male.gif lcbaseball22 is offline
Secret Keeper
 
Joined: 3947 days
Age: 31
Posts: 5,657
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisa View Post
I agree, this moment made me cringe. When she bent down on her knees I went
Why?


__________________



I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old October 7th, 2010, 7:11 pm
CrisRHr  Female.gif CrisRHr is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2992 days
Location: Spain
Age: 28
Posts: 52
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

It was hard to me watch Ron snogging Lavender... I hated her so much. xD


__________________
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old October 7th, 2010, 7:48 pm
SlytherinGirl93  Female.gif SlytherinGirl93 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3053 days
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

The hardest thing to watch was Dumbledore drinking in the cave, because it was sad and great acted. But all the Ginny/Harry moments where perhaps even harder to watch, because I don't like Bonnie in HBP. The whole movie long was there no emotion on her face. I also don't like the scene where the Burrow burns. Most of the Weasleys were pretty calm. If that would have been my house, I would have screamed and sweared to the Death Eaters.


Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old October 7th, 2010, 8:46 pm
Melisa  Female.gif Melisa is offline
New HP kid in town
 
Joined: 3345 days
Location: Camelot
Posts: 118
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Why?
Uhm, let's say my mind misbehaved
Even without that, the whole scene was awkward, the way they delivered their lines, their posture, I really cannot put my finger on it, but I just cringed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
That Hermione had too much Butterbeer? It only lasted for, what, a few seconds before they discovered the scene outside, so it's not like it took such an inordinate amount of time away from the storytelling. Personally, I found it cute when she put her arms around Harry and Ron, and it added to the very relaxed atmosphere outside before the focus shifted.
I know it was a short scene, but IMO there should be a valid reason to change anything from the books, and this isn't the case. These are young teens in school age, they are not supposed to be tipsy. Moreover, they had had butterbeers many times before and Hermione never ended up having any side effects. As for her putting her arms around Harry and Ron, I also found that cute, but she didn't need to be tipsy for that, or to relax, for that matter.

Warning: I'm a book nerd, and unnecessary deviations from canon in films make me want to throw things at the screen. Please bear with me, fellow posters (I think I should add this to my signature )


__________________
You can call me Mal
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old October 11th, 2010, 7:07 pm
lil_snuffles's Avatar
lil_snuffles  Female.gif lil_snuffles is offline
Animaga terpsichore
 
Joined: 4980 days
Location: California, USA
Age: 29
Posts: 1,708
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Watching the scene when Harry and Slughorn were talking about Harry's mother. Such a very touching moment and I almost cried.


__________________

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old October 11th, 2010, 8:26 pm
SunXia  Female.gif SunXia is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3575 days
Age: 31
Posts: 301
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Harry's opening scene the train station was cringe worthy and uneeded and then went on to make Dumbledore look creepy!!


__________________
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Sun_Xia/bleach_Nelsignature.gif
If becoming enlightened or intellectual means becoming cynical and arrogant about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool all my life!!!
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old October 11th, 2010, 8:53 pm
merrymarge's Avatar
merrymarge  Female.gif merrymarge is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 3619 days
Posts: 2,159
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

I had trouble watching the begining scene when Harry was talking to the waitress. that didn't make any sense to me. I also didn't understand why Harry ended up in a pond or whatever it was by the Burrow. Dumbledore just didn't drop him off. they first talked in a broom shed, then DD took Harry to the door. he wouldn't just leave Harry alone at night.
I also didn't like the Burrow catching on fire. That wasn't in the book and it should have been left out.


Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old October 11th, 2010, 9:43 pm
ahmad_10  Male.gif ahmad_10 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3547 days
Location: the world
Age: 25
Posts: 60
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

yhh, the part with harry talking to the waitress did not make an sense to me.


__________________
My pen is killing your sword
VIVA PALESTINA
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old October 11th, 2010, 9:56 pm
DarthSkywalker  Undisclosed.gif DarthSkywalker is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 5649 days
Posts: 308
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Why?
The film starts with Harry Potter seemingly trying to get laid. Not much of a leap imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmad_10 View Post
yhh, the part with harry talking to the waitress did not make an sense to me.
The scene in contexts makes sense. It just doesn't seem to fit the character all that much.



Last edited by DarthSkywalker; October 11th, 2010 at 10:13 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old October 13th, 2010, 9:13 pm
phoenixgurl321  Female.gif phoenixgurl321 is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 3774 days
Location: Florida
Posts: 29
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Yeah I have to say that Dumbledore being killed was the hardest scene to watch for me from the whole series. And I have to say that it will be the hardest to watch until DH Part 2 comes out and we all feel like we have to pretend that Harry is really dead. God I can't even imagine how hard that must have been for him. But we have to brave guys and gals!


Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old October 14th, 2010, 5:24 pm
SwedishSkinJer's Avatar
SwedishSkinJer  Male.gif SwedishSkinJer is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3534 days
Location: Galatea Merrythought's office
Age: 28
Posts: 1,666
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
I know it was a short scene, but IMO there should be a valid reason to change anything from the books, and this isn't the case. These are young teens in school age, they are not supposed to be tipsy. Moreover, they had had butterbeers many times before and Hermione never ended up having any side effects. As for her putting her arms around Harry and Ron, I also found that cute, but she didn't need to be tipsy for that, or to relax, for that matter.
So, there should be a valid reason for a scene that lasts only for a few seconds? Let's apply the logic that you are seemingly going with here, because if there has to be a reason to change anything from the books, then you could find fault with any miniscule detail, including, say, changing the hair color of a character. That sounds like you are nearly begging for an uncomfortable experience at the cinema to me.

Quote:
These are young teens in school age, they are not supposed to be tipsy.
Butterbeer has a slight alcoholic content. In the books, I don't think any restrictions on consumption are detailed, and so it's safe to assume that a student could conceively become tipsy if they had enough. For example, Harry wondered in the book what Ron and Hermione would do at Slughorn's party "under the influence of Butterbeer", implying that it does in fact have an influence on humans in excess.

In the movie, it's shown that Hermione had several. Therefore, it's not a stretch for her to become slightly tipsy.


__________________
<3 Voldemort's first participation in group affection...<3
"Oi! There's a war going on here, you four!"

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Melisa  Female.gif Melisa is offline
New HP kid in town
 
Joined: 3345 days
Location: Camelot
Posts: 118
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
So, there should be a valid reason for a scene that lasts only for a few seconds?
A "few seconds" is a lot in a movie. Scenes do not usually last more that 3-5 minutes, so every second counts. As this is my understanding of screen time, yes, I feel there should be a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
Let's apply the logic that you are seemingly going with here, because if there has to be a reason to change anything from the books, then you could find fault with any miniscule detail, including, say, changing the hair color of a character. That sounds like you are nearly begging for an uncomfortable experience at the cinema to me.
If the actor fits the role perfectly but for the hair colour, then the change is more than justified (as is the change in Harry's eye colour, for example. Daniel Radcliffe was not able to wear contact lenses, so they kept his eyes the same colour). Hermione's hair growing lighter and more straight with every movie, is IMO an example of an unnecessary change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
Butterbeer has a slight alcoholic content. In the books, I don't think any restrictions on consumption are detailed, and so it's safe to assume that a student could conceively become tipsy if they had enough. For example, Harry wondered in the book what Ron and Hermione would do at Slughorn's party "under the influence of Butterbeer", implying that it does in fact have an influence on humans in excess.

In the movie, it's shown that Hermione had several. Therefore, it's not a stretch for her to become slightly tipsy.
I think I did not make myself clear (as usual): I don't think it is impossible to get tipsy on butterbeer. But I do think making Hermione tipsy was unnecessary and rather out of character. Again, these little things irk me, but I am aware that I am a grumpy old lady when it comes to HP movies


__________________
You can call me Mal
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:33 pm
madfretter  Undisclosed.gif madfretter is offline
First Year
 
Joined: 2983 days
Posts: 21
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

The hardest scene for me to watch was just before Draco comes up to the astronomy tower... Dumbledore tells Harry to go and wait, then Harry just watches him die... This was SO against Harry's character. We spent 6 books learning how he will do anything to save people close to him and now he's ok with just watching Albus be murdered????? They should have left it alone as it was in the book, with Dumbledore casting a petrificus totalus charm on Harry and then Harrys realization that Dumbledore was dead when the charm broke, therefore forcing Harry to remain out of sight... This scene would have been more powerful if the directors stopped trying to rewrite books that don't need to be touched... Out of all the things the directors have ommited/altered in all six films, this scene by far is the most atrocious... I can't believe Rowling allowed it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalfoyTavington View Post
For me, it was the fire at the Weasleys' home. It doesn't happen in the books and it really irritated me. For starters, in the next film, Bill and Fleur get married there! I don't see how that would be possible if there's no house anymore. It was just ridiculous.
I agree with you totally! This is just another case of the directors trying to add "big" scenes to the movies... If they were so keen on "big" scenes then maybe, just maybe they could have not omitted the entire ending of the book... Where was all the fighting?????


Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:49 pm
SwedishSkinJer's Avatar
SwedishSkinJer  Male.gif SwedishSkinJer is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3534 days
Location: Galatea Merrythought's office
Age: 28
Posts: 1,666
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
A "few seconds" is a lot in a movie. Scenes do not usually last more that 3-5 minutes, so every second counts. As this is my understanding of screen time, yes, I feel there should be a reason.
Well, let's attempt to define an acceptable reason here: should every scene be in absolute service to moving the storyline forward, in the strictest sense? For example, Hermione leaning on Ron and Harry may seem wasteful to some, but for others, it's arguable that it's in fact a sweet demonstration of their friendship and establishes the relaxed atmosphere before they discover Katie, which makes the subsequent scene all the more jarring (as it should be, in my opinion). If we applied a strict definition of what constitutes an acceptable reason, I think we would have to remove many moments that don't necessarily move the plot along, but establish the little things that in some ways make the storyline feel all the more meaningful.

Quote:
The hardest scene for me to watch was just before Draco comes up to the astronomy tower... Dumbledore tells Harry to go and wait, then Harry just watches him die... This was SO against Harry's character. We spent 6 books learning how he will do anything to save people close to him and now he's ok with just watching Albus be murdered?????
I know this is a controversial change for fans, but I'm OK with it for a few reasons:

1) It makes the scene all the more powerful because Harry, under Dumbledore's established conditions (chiefly, that he must obey every command without question), is trusting that he can handle the situation. Throughout the entire scene, the discomfort on his face is evident as he walks beneath the boards, keeping his wand at the ready, but he is nevertheless placing the ultimate faith in his companion.

2) Dumbledore requested that Harry summon Snape to the tower. Despite Harry's concerns about Snape's character and whether or not he truly did perform the Unbreakable Vow, I'm sure the words of Remus were haunting him: "Dumbledore trusts Snape; therefore, I do." When Snape appeared by Harry and seemed to indicate that he was going to handle the situation as instructed, Harry nodded.

3) For the next two films, it could not only emphasize Harry's issues with the truthfulness of Dumbledore but also the fact that he, in his most desperate moment, trusted Snape in spite of every objection that he could have raised. And that trust was shattered.


__________________
<3 Voldemort's first participation in group affection...<3
"Oi! There's a war going on here, you four!"

I Support The Harry Potter Alliance (Potter Pride!)
“I am honoured and humbled that Harry’s name has been given to such an extraordinary campaign, which really does exemplify the values for which Dumbledore’s Army fought in the books."

Last edited by SwedishSkinJer; October 14th, 2010 at 6:53 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old October 14th, 2010, 6:54 pm
FutureAuthor13's Avatar
FutureAuthor13  Female.gif FutureAuthor13 is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3083 days
Location: Scotland or wherever Remus is!
Age: 23
Posts: 787
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishSkinJer View Post
3) For the next two films, it could not only emphasize Harry's issues with the truthfulness of Dumbledore but also the fact that he, in his most desperate moment, trusted Snape in spite of every objection that he could have raised. And that trust was shattered.
I loved that "hush" signal Snape gave Harry- it's very powerful, strong imagery, in my opinion. It was hard to watch for me, but not in a negative sense at all. It was because of all the reasons you listed and I found it to be a very striking moment. Just my opinion.


__________________
Jo FINDS me to be in .
Avatar by icandothat on LJ.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old October 14th, 2010, 7:22 pm
SunXia  Female.gif SunXia is offline
Third Year
 
Joined: 3575 days
Age: 31
Posts: 301
Re: HBP: Hardest scene to watch

No I totally disliked Dumbledore's death scene, an awful scene in the movie for a book that ultimately changed way too much in my opinion!!
It just ruined the whole meaning of the book for me with Harry just standing there and actually being seen, screws it all up for me!! In comparison, the book made me cry where as the movie, well it made me want to high -five my brothers because that god awful portrayal of Dumbledore that was uber-creepy, was over!!

And yeah, The Burrow getting burnt was another pathetic attempt at action that just messed with the continuity way too much!! "We wanted action" oh gee, apparently a battle in the Astronomy tower just wasn't good enough action!!


__________________
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r77/Sun_Xia/bleach_Nelsignature.gif
If becoming enlightened or intellectual means becoming cynical and arrogant about the world around me then I'd gladly remain a fool all my life!!!

Last edited by SunXia; October 14th, 2010 at 8:33 pm.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 9:01 am.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.