Login  
 
 
Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4



 
 
Thread Tools
  #541  
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:37 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4523 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Question:

Did Severus know about the seven Horcruxes? The reason I'm asking this is, in the memory where Severus is trying to do the counter curse to save Dumbledore's life, Gaunt's ring is laying on the desk, already broken, and the Sword of Gryffindor is there too.

Severus: "Why even touch it?"
Dumbledore: "I...was a fool. Sorely tempted..."
Severus: "Tempted by what?"

Dumbledore did not answer.


Then, Severus goes on about the power of the curse the ring carries, and that it is the type of curse that grows stronger with time, etc...Dumbledore tells him how fortunate he is to have him. Severus fusses at him for not summoning him sooner -- it states he is furious. Then it picks up with Severus:

He (Severus) looked down at the broken ring and the sword. "Did you think that breaking the ring would break the curse?"

"Something like that...I was delirious, no doubt..." said Dumbledore. With an effort he straightened himself in his chair.


Neither of them mentions that the ring was a Horcrux and now another part of Voldemort was destroyed. When I think back, I can't remember Dumbledore saying anything to Severeus about Horcruxes. He tells Severus about Voldemort protecting Nagini, and Severus doesn't seem to understand:

"...There will come a time -- after my death -- do not argue, do not interrupt! There will come a time when Lord Voldemort will seem to fear for the life of his snake."
"For Nagini?" Snape looked astonished.
"Precisely. If there comes a time when Lord Voldemort stops sending that snake forth to do his bidding, but keeps it safe beside him under magical protection, then I think it will be safe to tell Harry."


Then Dumbledore goes on to explain about the part of Voldemort's soul that latched onto Harry, and so forth.

In neither of these does Dumbledore mention the word Horcrux. And, as I think back over the books, I don't remember him mentioning Horcruxes to Severus at all.

Is this one of the things he meant about putting all of his eggs in a basket that hung on Voldemort's arm, meaning Severus? Was he concerned that if Severus was found out Voldemort could torture the information about the Horcruxes out of him?

Thoughts?


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Sponsored Links
  #542  
Old March 6th, 2011, 2:31 am
snapes_witch's Avatar
snapes_witch  Female.gif snapes_witch is offline
Hogwarts Graduate
 
Joined: 5168 days
Location: afternoon tea at Granny's
Posts: 2,973
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Question:

Did Severus know about the seven Horcruxes?
I don't think Severus knew about Voldemort's horcruxes; OTOH as a DAs specialist, he should have known about horcruxes in general.

What I find curious is Dumbledore leaving the horcrux books in the headmaster's office. Did he intend them for Snape, the new headmaster as a hint about Voldie surviving Godric's Hollow? I can't quite wrap my mind around the idea that it was a setup for Hermione to get them.


__________________

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
  #543  
Old March 6th, 2011, 3:45 am
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4523 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

I guess I'd always been under the assumption that Severus knew about them. It didn't occur to me until today, when I was reading over the memory about the ring, how evasive Dumbledore was when Severus asked about why he destroyed the ring. He never mentioned why, and he never mentioned why Nagini's safety would be important to Voldemort in the later memory. Really odd. I'm pretty sure Severus knew about Horcurxes in general, since he'd studied DADA. But, it was like, "Duh!" why hadn't I noticed this before?


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #544  
Old March 6th, 2011, 4:36 am
SadiraSnape  Female.gif SadiraSnape is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3293 days
Location: happily doing Sir's laundry
Age: 62
Posts: 718
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
Question:

Did Severus know about the seven Horcruxes?... In neither of these does Dumbledore mention the word Horcrux. And, as I think back over the books, I don't remember him mentioning Horcruxes to Severus at all.

Is this one of the things he meant about putting all of his eggs in a basket that hung on Voldemort's arm, meaning Severus? Was he concerned that if Severus was found out Voldemort could torture the information about the Horcruxes out of him?
I don't think Severus knew about the Horcruxes as it applied to Voldemort, and for exactly that reason -- DD didn't want LV to ever find out about his master endgame, that of sending Harry against him to die, after all the other Horcruxes had been destroyed. (Well, except for Nagini -- didn't Neville slice'n'dice her after Harry died and came back?)

I think Severus would have known about them as lower case "horcruxes", in that he knew such a thing existed, but that LV had created not one, but 7? Not a chance.


__________________

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding


Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
  #545  
Old March 6th, 2011, 5:06 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3639 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,271
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

I have always assumed that Severus did not know about the horcruxes, though he might have guessed by way of the "soul piece" of Voldemort in Harry as well as by watching from the treeline as Ron rescues Harry. We don't know exactly how much he witnessed (all we know is that Ron saw something in the treeline). But it's possible that he stayed around to see what was done with the Sword of Gryffindor. If he saw Ron destroy the locket, then he would have figured out the horcruxes.

I do find the speculation interesting about Dumbledore leaving the books in his office for Snape. However, I really don't think that was Dumbledore's intent. Just as it was extremely important to keep the entire Order and Hogwarts Staff out of the loop with regard to Severus' true status as a double agent after killing Dumbledore, it was equally important to keep Severus out of the loop regarding the horcruxes.

Dumbledore was a masterful spy/chess-master, and if you have that many pieces in play, you just can't afford to let any one piece know everything that the other pieces are up to. If one piece gets taken (compromised), it would destroy the entire plan. It was for Snape's protection and Harry's protection that nobody but Snape knew what Snape was up to. And it was for Harry's protection that nobody but the Trio knew what Harry was up to.

Regarding earlier conversations... I agree with what Iggy said a couple of pages back regarding the Trevor incident. Snape's stated intent was to motivate Neville not to brew poison, and I believe that giving Neville a personal stake in not brewing poison was Snape's true intent in the incident, just as he indicated. However, that does not mean that it was good pedagogy or that it was a well-conceived plan.

Attempting to motivate a student does not make the means of motivation necessarily noble. Muggle teachers in earlier generations used to rap students across the knuckles or switch/paddle/cane students for getting wrong answers. The intent was to motivate the students to learn their lessons. That intent, however, does not mean that the means used were the best means of motivating the students.

I personally don't think that threatening to give Trevor Neville's potion was a good pedagogical method. But I likewise do not believe for a second that the intent was to poison the toad. And as mentioned, Snape always had antidotes on hand, and he did in fact have the counter-agent on hand after giving the potion to Trevor.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
  #546  
Old March 6th, 2011, 6:56 am
SadiraSnape  Female.gif SadiraSnape is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3293 days
Location: happily doing Sir's laundry
Age: 62
Posts: 718
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

I too think Severus was searching for a way to motivate Neville to perform up to his abilities when he threatened to give the potion to Trevor. And we know that the motivation of fear does work on Neville -- he's pretty hopeless in the DA lessons with Harry, until Bellatrix breaks out of Azkaban. After that, he rapidly improves to the point where he's not completely useless in the Battle of the Ministry.

So I believe Severus was on the right track with what would motivate Neville... no doubt being an accomplished Legilimens worked in his favor there. The real shame is that Neville didn't take home the lesson that he could brew a passing potion...


__________________

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding


Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
  #547  
Old March 6th, 2011, 7:18 am
ccollinsmith's Avatar
ccollinsmith  Female.gif ccollinsmith is offline
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
 
Joined: 3639 days
Location: The Village
Posts: 2,271
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
I too think Severus was searching for a way to motivate Neville to perform up to his abilities when he threatened to give the potion to Trevor. And we know that the motivation of fear does work on Neville -- he's pretty hopeless in the DA lessons with Harry, until Bellatrix breaks out of Azkaban. After that, he rapidly improves to the point where he's not completely useless in the Battle of the Ministry.

So I believe Severus was on the right track with what would motivate Neville... no doubt being an accomplished Legilimens worked in his favor there. The real shame is that Neville didn't take home the lesson that he could brew a passing potion...
Answered on the Neville thread.


__________________



Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference


VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
  #548  
Old March 6th, 2011, 8:26 am
ignisia's Avatar
ignisia  Female.gif ignisia is offline
Leader of the GLITTELUTION
 
Joined: 4944 days
Location: Sitting in a Tin Can
Age: 30
Posts: 4,418
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Did Severus know about the seven Horcruxes?
In the final memory of TPT, he asks DD why the sword is necessary for Harry's quest. DD does not tell him. I tend to take that as him not knowing. Now, between winter and spring, it's possible he could have found out or guessed, but I don't believe we can really tell from what we have.


__________________
I am incapable of hating someone who, instead of using a spell to guard the Sorcerer's Stone, uses a logic puzzle.
I'm sorry.



VIVA LA GLITTELUTION
Looking for a home away from home?
Hogsmeade ~ Apparate.me
Avatar by SIP

Last edited by ignisia; March 6th, 2011 at 8:42 am.
  #549  
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:52 am
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4523 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Like I said, I hadn't given it any direct thought until I read over the passage about the two memories concerning the ring and Nagini. I gues I'd never considered there was a reason for Severus not to know...but, I'd never made it a point to wonder if he did or not. One of the "How dumb can you be?" moments that sneak up on you once in a while....


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #550  
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:39 am
GingerCat1  Undisclosed.gif GingerCat1 is offline
Seventh Year
 
Joined: 3558 days
Posts: 1,656
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadiraSnape View Post
I too think Severus was searching for a way to motivate Neville to perform up to his abilities when he threatened to give the potion to Trevor. And we know that the motivation of fear does work on Neville -- he's pretty hopeless in the DA lessons with Harry, until Bellatrix breaks out of Azkaban. After that, he rapidly improves to the point where he's not completely useless in the Battle of the Ministry.

So I believe Severus was on the right track with what would motivate Neville... no doubt being an accomplished Legilimens worked in his favor there. The real shame is that Neville didn't take home the lesson that he could brew a passing potion...
Snape was nothing but horrible to Neville not because he wanted to encourage Neville but instead because he enjoyed the power and enjoyed making others suffer. I honestly think Snape was trying to break Neville simply because he wanted to.


  #551  
Old March 6th, 2011, 1:35 pm
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5171 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Snape was nothing but horrible to Neville not because he wanted to encourage Neville but instead because he enjoyed the power and enjoyed making others suffer.
Well, this is only one interpretation.

Personally, I think Snape was generally a harsh teacher and I think if one was to ask him why, he would respond something along the lines of; "Life's harsh, so deal with it!"

When it came to Neville, he appears to me to be utterly frustrated.

"What do I have to do to make you understand, Longbottom?"
(PoA, The Boggart in the Wardrobe)

Now as a teacher I recognise this feeling too well, and to me this statement not only shows his frustration with Neville, but also that he cared that Neville did learn.


I agree with Iggy and CC, that Snape was using fear as a motivator in the toad incident. Fear is a basic and very strong motivator, to which we all respond to. Unfortunately, it is only a short term solution and doesn't promote self-motivation as we see with Neville. As CC said, Snape's methods were not particularly good pedagogy, in regard to Neville.


  #552  
Old March 6th, 2011, 1:58 pm
OldMotherCrow's Avatar
OldMotherCrow  Female.gif OldMotherCrow is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 4070 days
Location: Here. I'm pretty sure of it.
Posts: 1,297
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

The thing I took out of it was that using threats of violence as a means of controlling people can be highly ineffectual.

It is interesting to me that Snape thought it was appropriate, and perhaps even thought it would be effective. I wonder if it was learned in his youth, or because of his Death Eater training? Or perhaps because he only would change when someone he loved was threatened with a violent death, and thought, "Hey, that was a great teaching method! I think I'll use it on kids!" If so, he seems to have forgotten that what that threat did wasn't to make him into a better Death Eater-- quite the contrary in fact: Snape turned to Dumbledore and asked for help, and really becomes quite the worse Death Eater because of it.


__________________
".... You've chosen your way, I've chosen mine."
I love Lily because she chooses a path to match her convictions, and chooses to live her life fighting for what is right. It is our choices that show who we truly are.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
  #553  
Old March 6th, 2011, 2:19 pm
silver ink pot's Avatar
silver ink pot  Female.gif silver ink pot is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5974 days
Location: Shining Snape's Halo
Age: 59
Posts: 9,778
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I guess I'd always been under the assumption that Severus knew about them. It didn't occur to me until today, when I was reading over the memory about the ring, how evasive Dumbledore was when Severus asked about why he destroyed the ring. He never mentioned why, and he never mentioned why Nagini's safety would be important to Voldemort in the later memory. Really odd. I'm pretty sure Severus knew about Horcurxes in general, since he'd studied DADA. But, it was like, "Duh!" why hadn't I noticed this before?
I'm not sure Snape knew about horcruxes. After Tom Riddle left school Dumbledore forbade the teaching of the subject and removed all the books, and that happened 20-30 years before Snape ever came to Hogwarts. So I'm not sure how he would have learned about horcruxes.

As you say, Snape didn't understand what Nagini's role was, but IMO the major clue that Snape did NOT know about the Horcruxes is this the line "Souls? We were talking of minds" in DH.

From Prince's Tale:

“Yet you confide much more in a boy who is incapable of Occlumency, whose magic is mediocre, and who has a direct connection into the Dark Lord’s mind!”

(Notice Dumbledore doesn't correct Snape's belief)

“Voldemort fears that connection,” said Dumbledore. “Not so long ago he had one small taste of what truly sharing Harry’s mind means to him. It was pain such as he has never experienced. He will not try to possess Harry again, I am sure of it. Not in that way.”

“I don’t understand.”

(Again, Dumbledore seems to have confirmed the "mind" connection, not the soul and Snape is confused)

“Lord Voldemort’s soul, maimed as it is, cannot bear close contact with a soul like Harry’s. Like a tongue on frozen steel, like flesh in flame – ”

“Souls? We were talking of minds!”

“In the case of Harry and Lord Voldemort, to speak of one is to speak of the other.”

(And then Dumbledore lets it drop and doesn't explain anything else).


__________________


"It may have escaped your notice, but life isn't fair."
~ Severus Snape, OotP movie


Severus Snape ~ Bloomsbury Books Favorite HP Character

Severmore ~ NEW Harry Potter Network ~ LJ Dungeon
  #554  
Old March 6th, 2011, 7:53 pm
MinervasCat's Avatar
MinervasCat  Female.gif MinervasCat is offline
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf
 
Joined: 4523 days
Location: Snuggled in Sevvy's pocket.
Posts: 1,558
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerCat1 View Post
Snape was nothing but horrible to Neville not because he wanted to encourage Neville but instead because he enjoyed the power and enjoyed making others suffer. I honestly think Snape was trying to break Neville simply because he wanted to.
I would have to disagree. IMO, there is nothing in canon which indicates that Severus enjoyed power and enjoyed making others suffer . I don't even think he got any pleasure or satisfaction out of his snarking at Harry. I see that as more of a reaction. It wasn't right for him to do it, but, it was like flinching whenever someone or somthing irritates an open wound...and, that, IMO, is what Harry's physical likeness to James did -- reopened old wounds that had never really healed.

I feel that, as harsh as they were, his efforts were to try to find a way to motivate Neville, and that possibly the "threat" to Trevor would do it. I don't believe that Severus would have let anything happen to Trevor -- he obviously had the antidote handy. I also think he knew that Hermione would help Neville.

If Severus had wanted to "break" Neville, I believe he could have accomplished that with llittle effort. That, IMO, was not his intention. I think he wanted to use something that might help Neville retain what he learned for longer than it took him to walk out the classroom door. Unfortunately, as we see in so many of his classes other than Herbology, Neville doesn't do well. Even in McGonagall's and Flitwick's classes, Neville is barely able to keep up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver ink pot View Post
I'm not sure Snape knew about horcruxes. After Tom Riddle left school Dumbledore forbade the teaching of the subject and removed all the books, and that happened 20-30 years before Snape ever came to Hogwarts. So I'm not sure how he would have learned about horcruxes.

As you say, Snape didn't understand what Nagini's role was, but IMO the major clue that Snape did NOT know about the Horcruxes is this the line "Souls? We were talking of minds" in DH.

From Prince's Tale:

“Yet you confide much more in a boy who is incapable of Occlumency, whose magic is mediocre, and who has a direct connection into the Dark Lord’s mind!”

(Notice Dumbledore doesn't correct Snape's belief)

“Voldemort fears that connection,” said Dumbledore. “Not so long ago he had one small taste of what truly sharing Harry’s mind means to him. It was pain such as he has never experienced. He will not try to possess Harry again, I am sure of it. Not in that way.”

“I don’t understand.”

(Again, Dumbledore seems to have confirmed the "mind" connection, not the soul and Snape is confused)

“Lord Voldemort’s soul, maimed as it is, cannot bear close contact with a soul like Harry’s. Like a tongue on frozen steel, like flesh in flame – ”

“Souls? We were talking of minds!”

“In the case of Harry and Lord Voldemort, to speak of one is to speak of the other.”

(And then Dumbledore lets it drop and doesn't explain anything else).
I agree SIP. This is a very good analysis of the scene. I think it especially shows how Dumbledore worked in sublties. He pretty much told Severus there was a "soul" connection between Voldemort and Harry, but, without knowledge of Horcruxes, Severus probably wouldn't have made the connection. No wonder he was puzzled when Dumbledore mentioned about watching out for the time when Nagini was being protected and then get Harry the information he needed.


__________________

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
  #555  
Old March 6th, 2011, 8:54 pm
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5171 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
IMO, there is nothing in canon which indicates that Severus enjoyed power and enjoyed making others suffer . I don't even think he got any pleasure or satisfaction out of his snarking at Harry. I see that as more of a reaction. It wasn't right for him to do it, but, it was like flinching whenever someone or somthing irritates an open wound...and, that, IMO, is what Harry's physical likeness to James did -- reopened old wounds that had never really healed.
I think Dumbledore recognised that this was the problem with Snape in regards to Harry.

"But I forgot - another old man's mistake - that some wounds run too deep for the healing. I thought Professor Snape could overcome his feelings for your father - I was wrong." ( OotP, The Lost Prophecy)

Interestingly, Dumbledore doesn't express that he feels Severus should have overcome his feelings. Rather, he expresses his recognition that the wounds Severus is carrying, are in fact too deep to be healed.



Last edited by TreacleTartlet; March 6th, 2011 at 9:26 pm. Reason: sentence structure
  #556  
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:42 pm
vivekgk's Avatar
vivekgk  Male.gif vivekgk is offline
Sixth Year
 
Joined: 5260 days
Location: India
Age: 37
Posts: 1,111
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreacleTartlet View Post
Interestingly, Dumbledore doesn't express that he feels Severus should have overcome his feelings. Rather, he expresses his recognition that the wounds Severus is carrying, are in fact too deep to be healed.
I thought that Dumbledore sounded disappointed and a bit resigned. Perhaps not with Snape, but with himself for expecting too much of Snape. Overall, I think that Snape let Dumbledore down in OoTP, with his constant taunting of Sirius and defying orders by not teaching Harry occlumency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat View Post
I would have to disagree. IMO, there is nothing in canon which indicates that Severus enjoyed power and enjoyed making others suffer
If that's true, then Snape certainly does a good job of making it look like he is, what with the smirking and the oily voice. I have trouble convincing myself that the same person who called himself the 'Half-Blood Prince' (and he still called himself that in HBP, not just as a teen) and who created the bloody and vicious Sectumsempra spell did not enjoy power and making others suffer. To me, Snape's mistreatment of students placed in his care was simply his way of getting his sadism 'fix', so to speak. JMO.

But I agree with you that it wasn't right, whatever the reason for his behaviour was. None of his students deserved to be treated like that by a teacher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
I feel that, as harsh as they were, his efforts were to try to find a way to motivate Neville, and that possibly the "threat" to Trevor would do it. I don't believe that Severus would have let anything happen to Trevor -- he obviously had the antidote handy. I also think he knew that Hermione would help Neville.
Trevor would probably have been safe, but seeing how Snape is a sadist, I can't see him crying a river if something did happen to Trevor. Also, how is it obvious that he had the antidote handy? As I recall, the students were supposed to be making the antidotes, and he was the one poisoning them. I'm sure that he would have had a bezoar around to 'shove down their throats', but I'm also sure that the whole experience would not have been pleasant for anyone/anything involved. To me, what you just posted above reads like the excuse Snape would have given, had he been confronted about his decision to poison a student or a pet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinervasCat
If Severus had wanted to "break" Neville, I believe he could have accomplished that with llittle effort. That, IMO, was not his intention. I think he wanted to use something that might help Neville retain what he learned for longer than it took him to walk out the classroom door. Unfortunately, as we see in so many of his classes other than Herbology, Neville doesn't do well. Even in McGonagall's and Flitwick's classes, Neville is barely able to keep up.
I think that Dumbledore would have been a lot less accommodating of Snape's behaviour if he had actually 'broken' Neville. Snape was treating Neville as badly as he could get away with, IMO. Neville does well enough in Charms to get into the NEWT classes. He also does well in Defense. It's only in the classes with the intimidating teachers that he doesn't do too well.

Good spotting, SIP!


__________________
Proud member of

Society for Protection of Canon Snape
Society of Nutters Obsessed with Ginny
Snape's Not Alan Rickman Club
Admitting I Could Be Wrong Club
  #557  
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:07 pm
TreacleTartlet  Female.gif TreacleTartlet is offline
Assistant to Professor Snape
 
Joined: 5171 days
Posts: 2,036
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I thought that Dumbledore sounded disappointed and a bit resigned. Perhaps not with Snape, but with himself for expecting too much of Snape.
I agree that Dumbledore was disappointed in himself. However, as I read it Dumbledore says that it was his mistake not to have realised what he should have understood, i.e. that Snape's wounds were too deep for healing.



Last edited by TreacleTartlet; March 6th, 2011 at 11:12 pm.
  #558  
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:22 pm
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5252 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,004
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
who created the bloody and vicious Sectumsempra spell did not enjoy power and making others suffer.
I would like to remind you here that when you say others, in Snape's mind that other was none other than his enemy, James Potter. He hadn't designed the spell to relish its use on random people ( as is in the case of people who enjoy the use of power, people like Voldemort, Bellatrix etc). He created that spell only to get back to his enemy, James, and that is why he specifically made a note in his book, "For enemies".

Now when that is the motive, it is a matter of revenge, and not just avocational indulgence of power.


  #559  
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:34 pm
SadiraSnape  Female.gif SadiraSnape is offline
Fifth Year
 
Joined: 3293 days
Location: happily doing Sir's laundry
Age: 62
Posts: 718
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
I thought that Dumbledore sounded disappointed and a bit resigned. Perhaps not with Snape, but with himself for expecting too much of Snape. Overall, I think that Snape let Dumbledore down in OoTP, with his constant taunting of Sirius and defying orders by not teaching Harry occlumency.
I agree that DD was disappointed and resigned, but I think it was (like you say) with himself for expecting too much of people who weren't ready or capable of performing to his expectations. I don't believe he was let down by Severus; I think rather Severus tried his best, but couldn't overcome his hatred of Sirius (the guy tried to kill him, remember), and couldn't teach a student who refused to learn (Harry never even tried with the Occlumency -- and he could have learned, he managed to kick Severus out of his head once).

As DD himself said, it was an old man's mistake -- age teaches us many things we just can't learn at 15 (Harry's age) or 35 (Severus' and Sirius' age). He was expecting the mature responses of his great age from people who (in comparison) had barely begun to live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
To me, Snape's mistreatment of students placed in his care was simply his way of getting his sadism 'fix', so to speak. JMO...Snape is a sadist

I think that Dumbledore would have been a lot less accommodating of Snape's behaviour if he had actually 'broken' Neville. Snape was treating Neville as badly as he could get away with, IMO. Neville does well enough in Charms to get into the NEWT classes. He also does well in Defense. It's only in the classes with the intimidating teachers that he doesn't do too well.
Whoa up there, big fella. Snape a sadist???? I find that not only very extreme, but completely incompatible with his being Harry's secret protector and the protector of the entire school after DD's death. I don't believe he was out to break any student, much less Neville. IMO he was trying to find something that would motivate Neville to work up to his ability; did the toad threatening work? Absolutely. Was it the right thing to do? Not so much.

If you want a sadist, and one who's actually written as one, you need look no further than the lovely Dolores Umbridge. She is repeatedly written as breathing faster, her eyes shining, a grin on her face when she's literally torturing students. If that's not sadism, I don't know what is -- IMO canon stops just short of explicitly stating just how much fun Umbridge finds such shenanigans.

Or if you prefer your sadists wearing the appropriate garb, another nice little member of the Marquis' club is Bellatrix Lestrange. Add the Carrows to that, but I don't think they're quite as over the top as Umbridge and dear Bella are.

Severus, on the other hand, is never portrayed in this way. In canon, the really extremely vicious people are always insane, and always shown having way too much fun playing with their victims. Severus is never shown in this light -- he is always exasperated, angry, crazed with despair, or totally pushed over the edge when he goes over the top. Which is extremely rarely -- Severus IMO is too tightly controlled emotionally to do anything just because he gets a charge from it.

Including threatening Trevor.

Also, let's not forget that Neville does not get to continue Transfiguration either, and McGonagall is his Head of house. He just does get to continue Charms, and does well in DADA -- Prof. Flitwick is definitely not threatening, but remember he was as much a disaster in Harry's DA as in everything else until he has the motivation of Bella being out of Azkaban; then he starts working harder than anyone else and improving on a level with Hermione. That's canon.

So calling Severus a sadist because he tried an unorthodox method to get a positive result out of a student? Emphatically no. No. Was it extreme? Yes. Was it the only thing that ever got a passable potion out of Neville? Undeniably. Should it have been repeated? As emphatically no -- if someone doesn't have the talent for a subject, extreme fear might get a good result once, but it's not a recommended method of teaching.


__________________

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding


Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO

Last edited by SadiraSnape; March 6th, 2011 at 11:37 pm.
  #560  
Old March 6th, 2011, 11:54 pm
mysterious's Avatar
mysterious  Male.gif mysterious is offline
Oracle Octopus
 
Joined: 5252 days
Location: Was right here...
Age: 30
Posts: 4,004
Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
the same person who called himself the 'Half-Blood Prince' (and he still called himself that in HBP, not just as a teen)......did not enjoy power and making others suffer.
Do we know the reason why Snape gave himself that name? Well in a way we do, he was a half blood so the prefix to the noun. But why Prince? We don't have any canon on that one (correct me if I am wrong) so it comes down to our own interpretation of the noun. You have taken it as a person who loves power and dominion over others, well thats rightly so, but for a notorious prince. Not all of them though. Anyways, the point I am trying to make here is Snape had the same intent, dominion. But over what? That is a better question.

I don't agree with you that he intended to use it in the more usual sense, as a prince with dominion over people, but as a prince who had dominion over his craft, his knowledge. I like to believe that Snape called himself prince because for him, he was the best that there was. He had dominion over his knowledge. As a teen he desired that dominion and thus the title. As an adult, he had mastered it and commanded the dominion, so the title.

After all he could fly without wings.



Last edited by mysterious; March 6th, 2011 at 11:56 pm.
 
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Bookmarks

Tags
cake death or snape?, severus snape, snape, snape has bieber fever


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 7:20 pm.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Original content is Copyright © MMII - MMVIII, CoSForums.com. All Rights Reserved.
Other content (posts, images, etc) is Copyright © its respective owners.