Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

Old January 1st, 2009, 10:27 pm
I want to believe

Re: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
Some have been speculating whether the father the father:

1) enchanted the pot itself, knowing the ways of his son, or

2) went through the 'hopping pot' experience himself?

I go for the 1st one because the father seems like a genuinely good person, willing to help because it was in his hands to do it. Then again, he could have turn into that person, just like his son did.
I was wondering that too actually. I lean toward believing the first option because of the first part of the story (quoted above) that states that the father pretended that the pot was the source of his magic powers. I'd like to think that the father enchanted the pot in the hopes that his son would learn a lesson. But, as others have said, it didn't seem to me like the son had really reformed, but that he was just helping people so that he wouldn't have to deal with the pot again. He didn't really seem to be moved by the pot's "suffering", but rather fed up with it, so that he'd do anything to make it stop. I suppose we could be optimistic (since it is a fairy tale) and hope that the son eventually became willing to help others not just to keep the pot quiet though.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:24 am
Fourth Year

Beatrix Bloxam was the best part of this story. How can anybody not retch when they read her version of the story? The wizarding world is full of nutters.

Also Dumbledore's commentary surprised me a little, he started the story out calling people nincompoops

Old November 1st, 2009, 10:23 pm
First Year

Hahahahhaha I liked this story. I just found the idea of a hopping pot very amusing

I am a proud Gryffinpuff!

Ron Weasley, Fred Weasley, Sirus Black, Severus Snape, and Cedric Diggory are the best characters EVER!

AVPM and PPPs are amazing!
Old February 19th, 2010, 8:32 pm
Third Year

There's a cave near where I live which has the attatched legend of a friendly witch who could magically make furniture and utensils to lend to poor villagers, she was known as 'The White Witch of Waverley' until one villager failed to return a cooking pot and she went a bit evil. You can apparently still see the cauldron in a local church.

I was struck with the way the story is pretty similar to JKR's, it's intresting to think that her stories may be influenced by legends and folklore like this. I'd be interested to know if there are any legends more similar to any of her stories in Beedle the Bard.

Old August 18th, 2010, 6:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinnyIsGenius View Post
I think the people that were to execute him were smart enough to take his wand away. Just that. Maybe on purpose, maybe just a lucky move, but it left him wandless.

I think this story was really cute, as well. I'm all for the pro-muggle sentiment.

I have heard debates on why the father left his son the note: "In the fond hope, my son, that you would never need it".

Some have been speculating whether the father the father:

1) enchanted the pot itself, knowing the ways of his son, or

2) went through the 'hopping pot' experience himself?

I go for the 1st one because the father seems like a genuinely good person, willing to help because it was in his hands to do it. Then again, he could have turn into that person, just like his son did.

Now that you mention it the 2nd ones seems plausible, because the writer won't bash the old man. He would write about the good he did and try to make him sound better.

Now when the son gets old and dies, assuming that he continues listening to the towns people, the same might be said about him, but IMO they'll the part out were he didn't listen to the at first.

Harry, you wonderful boy, you brave, brave man.
R.I.P.

Their daring, nerve and chivalry set Gryffindors apart.
Proud Gryffindor

Old August 28th, 2010, 4:04 am
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think the father put a charm on the pot. I think the pot just acted on it's own because the son refused to help his neighbors. It was a magic pot.

Old April 22nd, 2011, 1:52 pm
Second Year

I love this tale very much. I see in it a deep meaning that is actually also a Christian one: you should use your talents to help others!

The father seems to have been a very good man (and a very good wizard) because he rejoiced in helping without taking real credit for his good actions nor earning anything extra from his talents. He helped muggles for the pleasure of being good.I think he hoped his son might be as good a man as he was, but his note shows he suspected the truth.

The son had a chance to do the right thing. We all are given talents and chances to be good. How do we choose? He chose to be egoistic about his magic and had to pay the price. Eventually he learned there is only one way to be happy: help others. At first he just did it to be in peace, but at the very end, when the pot puts on the slipper, they become friends. I choose to believe the son finally felt how good it is to help others.

Image by the lovely SadiraSnape

"Neville is the man!"

Wand: Pear, Phoenix, 14.5 in, quite flexible
HUFFLEPUFF
MagicProphecy
Old August 28th, 2011, 1:52 am
First Year

I memerized that story and told it to a little girl at an overnight camp once to get her to go to sleep :P

"That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”
-Albus Dumbledore

Proud To Be a Gryffindor
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard