Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tales of Beedle the Bard: General Thoughts

View Poll Results: What did you think
I loved them! 80 60.61%
They were okay but they made me miss HP 41 31.06%
I didn't really like them that much 11 8.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 26th, 2008, 9:00 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Re: The Tales of Beedle the Bard: General Thoughts

I got it for Xmas!

I loved Fountain of Fair Fourtune (especially the notes ) and Babity Rabbity and her Cackling Stump and the notes made the book, imo

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2008, 9:13 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatifically View Post
Amazon sells it for $7 but I heard that Barnes & Noble or Borders sold it for $13. That's way overpriced for a book that small. But I suppose with the economy the way it is, they were willing to try to get more money for themselves.
In Europe it sell for 10€, around $14-$15, that's why I said I was dissapointed with it, too expensive for what it is.

Old December 26th, 2008, 9:25 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Mine was NZ$15 which is *goes to converter site* US$8.65, 6.15 Euros and 5.85 Pounds... So I think I got it for a good price...

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old December 26th, 2008, 4:49 pm
Qvack...

These all sound as though they're quite the same. Here it's 5.95€, which is fine- and I got mine for about £3.90 on Amazon when I bought it along with the collector's edition. pretty good price to be honest; when books are so ridiculously expensive usually.

THE DUCK.

Old December 26th, 2008, 6:59 pm
Secret Keeper

I guess most places have the extra money for themselves. I wonder how much of the book price actually goes to charity

Official Member of the Jacq Triumvirate

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 26th, 2008, 7:01 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
I guess most places have the extra money for themselves. I wonder how much of the book price actually goes to charity
25% of the retail price.

Old December 26th, 2008, 8:16 pm
Secret Keeper

oh, how did you figure that out? All it says on my book is that Scholastic is giving away its net proceeds.

My Deviantart Account

Voldemort Feels Pretty, My animated music video for "I feel Pretty" Featuring LORD VOLDEMORT!

My original story: Teeter Totter (Has absolutely nothing to do with playgrounds)

Old December 26th, 2008, 8:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voldemorts8thHorcrux View Post
oh, how did you figure that out? All it says on my book is that Scholastic is giving away its net proceeds.
In my book it says "2.5€ out of the retail price (10€) are going to charity".

Old December 27th, 2008, 3:53 am
Secret Keeper

oh ok, i guess they're all different.

My Deviantart Account

Old December 27th, 2008, 4:24 am
Second Year

My general thoughts on the book are that it was way too short. J.K. Rowling should definitley write a book as large as Grimm's Fairy Tales or Hans Christian Anderson's tales. I enjoy them that much, that I would read a book that large just to see more. I liked Dumbledore's commentary, I guess. I just wish Hermione would have contributed her thoughts on the stories, as Dumbledore was never really a favorite character of mine. =/

- Walt Disney

~~
Old December 27th, 2008, 4:27 am
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemxens View Post
My general thoughts on the book are that it was way too short. J.K. Rowling should definitley write a book as large as Grimm's Fairy Tales or Hans Christian Anderson's tales. I enjoy them that much, that I would read a book that large just to see more. I liked Dumbledore's commentary, I guess. I just wish Hermione would have contributed her thoughts on the stories, as Dumbledore was never really a favorite character of mine. =/
Yes, I know what you mean. It was always a great addition to me, in Fantastic Beasts and in Quidditch through the Ages, that the handwritten notes were so clever combining and invited the reader inside. But I think the handwritten effect would have slightly ruined the beautiful presentation of the book and its meaning overall. Dumbledore was evidently not wanting to write on it as though it were a textbook- which I liked, because it seemed to portray high value and reverence.

I imagine if she had written many more though, we might have gotten bored. Just my opinion, but I liked what we got. It shows her imagination is amazing though, so I'm looking forward to seeing what she might next come up with.

THE DUCK.

Old December 27th, 2008, 3:10 pm
Registered Animagus

Like a few people, I would have to say my only gripe is that it was too short. I read the whole book in less than an hour.

Other than that, the whole thing was wonderful, and Dumbledore's comments made me totally miss the HP series.

The fairy tales are wonderful (even though one is particulary gruesome, but I love that untraditional feeling it has).

My favorite was the Fountain of Fair Fortune because of the great storyline to it, and the moral it had.

The illustrations were just magical once again. Especially the front of the US cover. After reading the book, I noticed all the stories are somehow depicted on the front.

I loved how Dumbledore commented on the way "The Wizard and the Hopping Pot" was basically edited for kids, and I laughed at the way he described the actual version.

To think this has all come out of JK Rowling's head, and how she gives credit to her characters, and isn't afraid to criticize them (which in general is criticizing her own work) is just amazing and truly magical. She is a master and genius of a writer, and now one of the great fairytale writers of the age.

I am a writer myself, and I don't think I have what it takes for fairytales. These were just brilliant.

Old December 27th, 2008, 7:38 pm
Secret Keeper

The book was a bit too short for me too, but I agree that fairy tales can be very hard to write and people shouldn't underestimate that little book. Still wish she would've at least written Grumble the Grubby Goat (I think that was the name right) , but whatever, i'll get over it

My Deviantart Account

Old December 29th, 2008, 3:54 am
Third Year

I got the book for Christmas and I think it makes a nice addition to my HP collection. Dumbledore's comments were the best part, in my opinion; I always enjoy his dry sense of humor. I enjoyed JKRowling's drawings, too. I even liked the Warlock's Hairy Heart, despite it's morbid ending. It actually reminded me of authentic Grimm fairy tales that can be quite gory and violent.

It's was good to enter Harry's world again, if only for a little while.

Old December 30th, 2008, 3:01 pm
Suteki da ne

Well...I've finally got it and I must say that I thought they were great. I loved the fact that there was a lot of scary things happening, and I think that's important in a fairy tale- most of the old fairy tales had some horrifying things in them

If you change your mind
Old December 30th, 2008, 9:00 pm
Fourth Year

I love The Tales of Beedle the Bard, they are good fairy tales, if not as good as the good old ones. I will definitely keep my book (when I get it, my sister has an English copy and my brother a Norwegian, but I, the biggest HP fan of the three of us, don't have one!) and read it several times, when I'm in a fairy tale mood. But I would like it more if the book was a bit longer. When I first heard Rowling would write it, I had hoped it would be a couple of fairy tales there we hadn't heard of.
But all in all: The Tales of Beedle the Bard is worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlubalybub View Post
Well...I've finally got it and I must say that I thought they were great. I loved the fact that there was a lot of scary things happening, and I think that's important in a fairy tale- most of the old fairy tales had some horrifying things in them
Yeah, though I didn't read The Warlock's Hairy Heart for my little brother, it was a bit too horrible for a four-year-old. But indeed old fairy tales are horrible, in the most known Norwegian fairy tales they cut three long cuts in the backs of those who failed to make the princess happy (or something like that), then they had salt in them. *shudders* Or worse.

You get ideas from daydreaming. You get ideas from being bored. You get ideas all the time.
The only difference between writers and other people is we notice when we're doing it.

óNeil Gaiman

Thank you so much, lilyrose, for the lovely avatar and signature pictures!
Old December 30th, 2008, 10:20 pm
Suteki da ne

Thank goodness someone realises this...I mean in the original Little Mermaid she killed herself, she didn't become human...in my opinion, making Disney versions of fairy tales cheapens them, no matter how good the productions were, because the actual stories didn't sugarcoat death and unhappiness, and that's why I like both Harry Potter the books, and Beedle the Bard...because children need to be exposed to scary things, not sheltered from them...and (bum I forget who it was because I've misplaced my Beedle book since this morning) that one who wrote the toadstool tales totally made a mockery of the stories, and I think that if you think that the original fairy tales are too harsh for kids, then you don't understand kids, because as I have said numerous times, children love to be scared as long as they know that they are safe...

If you change your mind
Old January 1st, 2009, 10:31 pm
I want to believe

I originally didn't intend to get this book, but I received it for Christmas, so of course I had to read it. I must say I enjoyed the book. It's nice to read something light-hearted and not too deep every once in a while. I liked the idea that these fairy tales were analogous to Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, etc for Muggles - it makes sense that wizards would have their own fairy tales too.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old January 2nd, 2009, 7:02 pm
Third Year

I really liked it and thought it interesting.

Old January 6th, 2009, 2:01 pm
Fifth Year

Does anyone else think that Beatrix Bloxam sounds a lot like Laura Mallory (among others) who is so hot to censor Harry Potter books?

Can you guess where I am?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard