Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard

The Tale of the Three Brothers

Old January 9th, 2010, 2:39 am
First Year

Re: The Tale of the Three Brothers

This was my favourite out of the book, and even though it is in the Deathly Hallows it is nice to have a sepaperate copy.

Old May 12th, 2010, 1:26 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanksha View Post
I also loved the brilliant irony in this story that Dumbledore brings up. The whole moral of this tale is that Death is undeafeatable so don't bother trying to put one over him because you will fail. And yet readers think that the message in this tale is the exact opposite. Possess all the three objects and you will be the master of death.

Humans
Maybe that's because Dumbledore himself was also one of those people who wanted to be Master of Death. I feel it is a warning for future wizards and witches not to taunt Death or dabble in necromancy, but, like the youngest brother, try to prolong one's Death by the seventh sense-common sense-and when your time comes, "treat death as an old friend, walking away together to the next life as equals.".

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I would have liked to have known more about Grumble the Gurdy Goat.
Me too! But I don't think Beedle would have a tale like that in his book. His tales are more dark, mysterious and sinister, not at all what one would expect a tale like Grumbly the Grubby Goat to be in.

Gryffindor

UnicornSeeker8718 (Pottermore)
Old May 13th, 2011, 5:29 pm
First Year

This story was by far my favorite. The concept of having an actual conversation with Death as a person just seems wildly cool to me.

Also, when they reference it in the book, and they make fun of Death wearing an invisibility cloak.. well.. that just makes me chuckle everytime I think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC2456 View Post
Me too! But I don't think Beedle would have a tale like that in his book. His tales are more dark, mysterious and sinister, not at all what one would expect a tale like Grumbly the Grubby Goat to be in.
I agree. All of the Tales are quite dark. But it fits so perfectly with the tone of the Book in general. From OoTP onward, the series progressively gets darker and darker, what with Voldy's rise and all.

Old May 23rd, 2011, 11:31 am
First Year

I really love the irony that wizards think obtaining all of the hallows is a quest and whoever gets there first will be the true master of death... when really we learn that the true master of death was the person (harry) who did not seek the hallows. I think this Dumbledore quote sums up my point well:

"It is a curious thing, Harry, but perhaps those who are best suited to power are those who have never sought it. Those who, like you, have leadership thrust upon them, and take up the mantle because they must, and find to their own surprise that they wear it well."

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > The Cloak > The Tales of Beedle the Bard