Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels

Spider-Man fans: Comics, Cartoons, and Films

Old April 29th, 2007, 9:48 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Spider-Man fans: Comics, Cartoons, and Film(s)

Actually, if my memory recalls, Raimi said that HarryGoblin wasn't Hob-Goblin this time, but a mix of Goblin and Hob-Goblin. Thus, HarryGoblin.

Also, Tobey and Kirsten were on Friday Night With Johnathan Ross on Friday (duh). Tobey said he'd happily do a 4th movie. Bit of a 180 from the last time I heard him talk about Spidey 4. Hmm...

FA CUP ROUND 3 - JANUARY 1ST 2009
WE'RE THE GREATEST EVER TEAM THE WORLD'S EVER SEEN - SOUTHEND UNITED FC

My blog:
http://thewritersodyssey.weebly.com/
Sponsored Links
Old May 3rd, 2007, 7:38 pm
Third Year

I just watched Spiderman 3 and I have to admit, it is amazing! It is, buy no doubt, the best Spiderman movie yet and maybe the best superhero movie I've seen! The plot is good, the fighting scenes and speical effects were simply stunning. But most of all I enjoyed the part when Peter Parker's costume turns 'black' due to the alien symbiote. I just loved seeing the aggressive side of Peter Parker.

Old May 3rd, 2007, 9:01 pm
Second Year

Harry osbourne never turned into the Hobgoblin even in the comics, he was always just considered the new green goblin. This was seen in the Spider-Man Series in the Return of the Green Goblin. The original Hobgoblin was Roderick Kingsley. Burt there were several Hobgoblins following in the Green Goblins footsteps.

Old May 4th, 2007, 1:29 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iqen View Post
I just watched Spiderman 3 and I have to admit, it is amazing!
How did you get to see it already?! I'm seeing it tonight at midnight. Glad to hear it good.

Old May 4th, 2007, 9:21 am
Second Year

Well, Iqen, you obviously saw a different movie than what I just saw. I was very disappointed. I admit that the fight scenes were pretty cool, but other than that it was definitely not worth seeing. The whole middle section where Spiderman turns black is the worst hour of the entire Spiderman trilogy. Everything about it was just awful.

Two thumbs down on this one.

I'm not a Harry Potter addict. I choose to go to conventions, theme parks, book release parties and movie premiers and to spend hundreds of dollars per year on licensed merchandise. Continuously reading, discussing and analyzing the books is simply a hobby. I can stop any time I want to. No, I really mean it. Seriously. Addicts can't stop. That's the difference between me and an addict.

GalleonSickle4 on Pottermore
Wand- 13" Beech and Dragon Heartstring, unbending
Proud student of House
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:17 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastHorcrux View Post
Well, Iqen, you obviously saw a different movie than what I just saw. I was very disappointed. I admit that the fight scenes were pretty cool, but other than that it was definitely not worth seeing. The whole middle section where Spiderman turns black is the worst hour of the entire Spiderman trilogy. Everything about it was just awful.

Two thumbs down on this one.
I have to agree. It was a complete disgrace compared to the first two movies. Some of the worst dialog I've heard in a while, and the director just didn't know how to end the film.

Old May 4th, 2007, 8:32 pm
Second Year

I wouldn't give it 2 Thumbs down, the fights were great, especially some scenes with the Sandmand. I thought the New Goblin was a good thing, I thought Bryce Dallas Howard was a VERY good thing .

Its not as good as the other 2 though, still, i'd give it 8 out of 10

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:23 am
First Year

I have mixed emotions about the movie. It had its high points but it just didn't seem to flow very well. I thought the beginning was abrupt, it didn't lay out the story very well. And I wasn't a fan of the Sandman being a bad guy because of circumstance either. BUT I think this might have been the first time in the Spiderman's films that we saw a true evil villian. The fact that Brock WANTED to be evil and dived in to be with the toxic space slim was pretty cool.

My favorite favorite part of the movie was Harry's Hero Redemption. Granted, him being all badassed and going after Peter's heart the old fashioned way was pretty smart (compared to his father) and their fight afterwards was wicked. But I LOVED that he and Peter fought together. I might be the only one (which is okay) but that probably was one of the very few successes in a movie that didn't really wow me. HATED that they killed him off. When they fought together, it had just seemed, right for once. They could have been amazing together in future films but no Harry in the future...it's just a disappointing thought.

Old May 5th, 2007, 2:46 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

I can't wait to see the new movie! I wanted to dsee it at midnight, but I didn't get the tickets soon enough. I'm supposed to be going tomorrow or sunday night.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old May 5th, 2007, 6:40 am
Fourth Year

The whole middle of the movie where Peter goes all emo (especially doing all those disco moves to the ladies in the street) really got annoying after a while.

But as a whole, the movie was pretty good. The fight scenes were top-notch, but I really wanted to strangle that butler of Harry's.

Sandman FTW!

Join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers!.
Old May 5th, 2007, 6:59 am
Second Year

I haven't seen SM3 yet, but I admit this only to all of y'all...

I owned Spider-Man #300, the first appearance of Venom. I sold it years ago to make a buck. Now, of course, I regret the transaction.

No matter what, believe that Venom is the singular-baddest villain ever...

Well, him and Thanos...

Old May 5th, 2007, 7:31 am
Third Year

Wow! I love this movie! I saw the midnight show and everyone there was so cool! My friend skylar was counting down the minutes. "10 minutes!" and then everyone would scream. I thought the whole emo thing was hilarious! I was laughing so hard! I was mad Venom wasn't in it until the last half of the movie. I wanted to see more of him and was mad when he died. He would have been cool to see in the sequel. What about Carnage? He would be so cool! But with Venom gone, I don't think we'll ever see him in the movies.
I didn't know Kirsten Dunst could sing like that. I'm pretty sure that was her real voice.... So sad they fired her.

Watching this movie was like watching Pirates 2. You love every miniute of it, but there are parts that make you want to SCREAM! The emo peter was a jerk to M.J....I wanted to spit on him. I hated him at the jazz place. I'm glad that Gwen wasn't all slutty and that she actually felt sorry for M.J. after she had the whole thing figured out. Then that whole Harry M.J. thing! Uggg! My friends have it figured out! It's a love Z! Venom loves Gwen. Gwen and emo peter, real peter and M.J., then M.J. and Harry.

I loved this movie. There was SOOOO much humor but at the same time, it was the darkest one. It focused more on Peter and M.J. and the inner struggles between themselves.(with peter and unlce ben too). ....Oh goodness.....I was surprised by that 'spider sense tingling, if you know what I mean' line.....I was like, "Did he really just say that? lol I think there was only one part that I snorted because it was cheesy. It was when Spider-man landed right in front of the american flag....so cheesy....OH! And the british reporter going "This is so hard to see....this may be the end of Spider-man"...(something like that) I know it was a serious moment, but it(to me) was so funny. I hope I'm not the only one who thought that was a little cheesy. The end was so sad. I knew Harry would die, but I didn't expect him to be good toward the end. I just thought he would die like his father did, trying to kill peter. Instead he helped him. I LOVED when they teamed up! That was so cool! I got goosebumps!

Last edited by firebolt57; May 5th, 2007 at 7:49 am.
Old May 5th, 2007, 9:16 am
Third Year

I must have that giant portrait of Willem Dafoe.

I really enjoyed the film even the corny bits.

James Franco stole the film for me, the whole bit with Peter channeling his inner Tony Manero while cheesy was no worse than the rain drops bit from Spidey 2 you gotta love the fact that Evil!Pete is so badass he doesn't care that disco died. JJJ is great as always as was Bruce Campbell,Pete's pimp hand was strong in this one (Gwen Stacy,Betty Brant,Ursula) and finally Venom and Sandman both were great I'm so glad they didn't go with the over muscled Venom.

Summary: Bryce Dallas Howard is fine as hell

Old May 5th, 2007, 9:19 am
First Year

I, recently, came across some reviews of the film, and a lot of people think it totally screws up the whole trilogy. Some even said, "Spidey just turned EMO!"

? I have mixed feelings now, I don't know if I should watch it or not!

Old May 5th, 2007, 5:58 pm
First Year

I saw it last night with my husband, who's a big spiderman fan. He's read the comics, knows all the origin stories, blah blah. Anyway, we were hugely disappointed to the point that we've told all our friends not to waste their money. The series is becoming as bad as the "Batman" series used to be. All they're missing is Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Goth-spidey was lame. They had too many villians to give any of them their proper due, and Kristen Dunst sings? Twice? Oh my. No wonder every single character cried at the drop of a hat. That, and the fact that the villians become bad by complete random coincidences that have no relation to the comics, had my husband arguing with the film!

As HP fans, we know how much we hate it when they makes changes from the books to the movies. They've done the same thing here. Too bad. The first two were really fun.

Old May 5th, 2007, 6:37 pm
Fourth Year

Loved it. Just unhappy I saw the 6:00 show, the place was packed with kids who wouldn't shut up and every few seconds someone was getting up, leaving and coming back in. Although some of the younger kid reactions to the kissing scenes made for a nice laugh. A collective "Ewwwwwww" is funny.

Sandman being a reluctant villain by necessity didn't bother me, as he turned good guy in the comics anyway. Thomas Haden Church did very well. Kept it a dramatic role. The end left me worrying about Sandman's daughter. No robbery money to pay for her medical expenses.

Topher Grace did well as Eddie for being Peter's nemesis, especially considering how little screen time he was given to do it in. Loved how Venom turned out looking. One minor plot flaw, he did know all the stuff Peter knew, but Peter didn't know about Sandman's daughter needing the money for medical expenses. So how did Venom know?

Harry as the new Goblin. Again, loved it. I was reluctant when I saw the 'Paintball' looking mask and his glider was like a snowboard. But when I saw the movie it worked out well. Using the non-goblin face mask shows he didn't go nuts like his dad. And the snowboard glider worked well for separating his aerial style from the original goblin. Wicked climactic team up with Spidey, it was the highlight of the movie seeing Harry and Peter reconcile and kick butt. Yes, it was a pity they killed off Harry just when he went good, but he had to die, otherwise when Norman Osborne returned later in the comics he wouldn't have a big a reason to continue to go after Spidey, and a good guy Harry in the way would throw a wrench in the works of Green Goblin villainy. Notice the silver Goblin mask in the lair by the way.

Wow, Mary Jane was in such a bad mood for most of the movie. Hmm.

Aggressive symbiote Peter: It got a little silly. But how else could they do it with such short time and no benefit of 'thought bubbles'.

All in all, any of the movies shortcomings only had to be blamed by how much story they had to cram into the movie. I hope the series doesn't end as a trilogy.

Old May 5th, 2007, 9:53 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitacus View Post
Topher Grace did well as Eddie for being Peter's nemesis, especially considering how little screen time he was given to do it in. Loved how Venom turned out looking. One minor plot flaw, he did know all the stuff Peter knew, but Peter didn't know about Sandman's daughter needing the money for medical expenses. So how did Venom know?
Maybe there is a deleted scene in which Eddie Brock goes onto Wikipedia and uses it to learn all he can about Sandman.

Old May 5th, 2007, 11:01 pm
Third Year

I thought the first half of the film was really good. But everything from the dark Peter and after (save for a few scenes) was lame. Overall I actually felt that the inclusion of Sandman in the movie was entirely unnecessary, despite how beautifully his sand-shifting powers were done. The problem here, I think, was that they delayed the symbiote's effects on Peter too much, leaving very little time for us to actually see dark spider-Man/Peter and darker Brock/Venom. The dark Peter stuff could've been handled more seriously and merged better with Peter's hunger for fame and Gwen Stacy, but instead they went with comedy? To showcase his character becoming somewhat evil? They also kept leaping back and forth a little between good Peter and bad Peter, which made things seem a little sloppy. The last act felt like something out of a Schumacher Batman movie. But I liked all of the non-action stuff between the trio (Peter, MJ, and Harry), as well as the Daily Bugle stuff and Gwen Stacy. However this could have very easily been a movie about "the HobGoblin" and Venom, and not a movie about "filler Sandman" and "too late in the game Venom". Oh well.

I can't wait to see more of Gwen. Even though she might already have to die in the next one if they later decide to go with four movies and not five. But if they do stick with the plan of doing two more then I hope they leave her death for the fifth one.

Last edited by underscore; May 6th, 2007 at 1:37 am.
Old May 5th, 2007, 11:59 pm
Zonko's Employee

I'm hopefully going to see Spiderman 3 tomorrow!

Mrs Weasley set the potion down on the bedside cabinet, bent down, and put her arms around Harry. He had no memory of ever being hugged like this, as though by a mother. The full weight of everything he had seen that night seemed to fall in upon him as Mrs Weasley held him to her. His mother's face, his father's voice, the sight of Cedric, dead on the ground, all started spinning in his head until he could hardly bear it, until he was screwing up his face against the howl of misery fighting to get out of him
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:29 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonibWazley View Post
The whole middle of the movie where Peter goes all emo (especially doing all those disco moves to the ladies in the street) really got annoying after a while.

But as a whole, the movie was pretty good. The fight scenes were top-notch, but I really wanted to strangle that butler of Harry's.

Sandman FTW!

The emo thing started to bug me too (saw the movie on the 4th after school), especially when he purposly fixed his hair like that! It's just not who he is. (It looked pretty cool, though)
It was a fair movie, but not that much like the comics. I was disappointed. It could have been way better.

Zim is doing all he can to prevent Deathly Hallows spoilers. Are you?
If not, join the ASA today and help prevent spoilers with the help of the Irken Empire!!!!

I <3 Heroes
(The new season can't come soon enough!)
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction > Comic Books & Graphic Novels