Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Rate and review the last book you read

Old September 14th, 2014, 4:29 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Re: Rate and review the last book you read

7/10 The Giver by Lois Lowry
Err...I haven't ever read this book and I must admit I decided to pick it up because of the movie which looked really good, but I never got any kind of inkling from the trailer of what this story was about. I'm not sure I have much to say about it, it kind of reminded me of Ann Rynd's Anthem; I was perplexed by the ending and I'm indecisive about the other books.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Sponsored Links
Old September 14th, 2014, 2:01 pm
Fourth Year

The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton 8.5/10

I was curious about this novel since it won the Man Booker Prize and everyone seemed in awe about it. It's definitely worth a read and I found it very enjoyable even if the topic would not usually interest me. I was surprised that a book so long (800+ pages) can still be so easy to read and compelling. My experience with long novels is that they get boring after about 500 pages but this one kept a fast pace throughout. There were no unnecessary details, every chapter provided a new piece of the puzzle.

Since there are so many characters and the links between them are so intricate, it's a bit hard to remember how they're all connected sometimes, but you get the big picture. This woman is definitely a genius.

Old September 20th, 2014, 5:50 am
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

The Book of Life -- 8/10

Finally got done reading the last installment in Deborah Harkness's All Souls trilogy. It's really well done. Wish there was more action in it, but overall it was well worth the wait. Will definitely be picking this up once it comes out in paper back.

A fitting conclusion to a wonderful series.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old September 21st, 2014, 10:08 pm
Sixth Year

The World of Yesterday, by Stefan Zweig - 9/10

These memoirs cover hte last 50 or so before WWII, and it is told through the eyes of not just an excellent writer, but a man who knew everyone of any importance for the intellectual Europe of the time. This means that the book is not just about the facts of History, but mainly about the ideas that gave form to those facts, and everything is told with simplicity and a very deep perspective. Maybe a little slow at times, but anyway fascinating.

Old September 27th, 2014, 4:27 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

7/10 The 5th Wave - Rick Yancey
I wasn't nearly as harsh with this one the second time around.

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old September 28th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Sixth Year

The Prince and the Pauper, by Mark Twain, 7/10

Lovely, naive, refreshing. Not as wildly funny as the Yankee, but quite enjoyable.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 5:26 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

★★★☆☆ You know what's frightening? The blood sickness that kills millions could totally be Ebola. Just sayin'.

Ugh...

Why is it that characters that should be dead always come back? Why am I always with the minority when it comes to the love interest in these novels? I think this book probably would've been fine if it weren't for that. Of course the two different species would fall for each because they don't belong together. I really am over this.

Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:10 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

The Infinite Sea, by Rick Yancey 4/5

The only thing I didn't like about this follow up was that it was often hard to tell whose perspective you were reading at the beginning of each chapter. Worse was that I forgot all the characters from The Fifth Wave and had to go back and review what had happened at the end of that book. It's a page turner for sure, and I liked getting some backstory about the aliens.

In a Handful of Dust, by Mindy McGinness 4/5

I liked Not a Drop to Drink, and I enjoyed this one too. I think she writes Lynn in a great way, she's a simple creature with a not so simple task. I find my reading slows down when I read her parts because that's how I picture her speaking. Aside from one very disturbing scene, I thought this was a great on-the-road/ survival story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Why is it that characters that should be dead always come back? Why am I always with the minority when it comes to the love interest in these novels? I think this book probably would've been fine if it weren't for that. Of course the two different species would fall for each because they don't belong together. I really am over this.
Are you referring to The Infinite Sea by chance? Or is it The 5th Wave.
Either way, I agree about the dying part. Either kill the character or don't but don't pretend you are and then have them show up again.

Old October 3rd, 2014, 3:49 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
The Infinite Sea, by Rick Yancey 4/5

The only thing I didn't like about this follow up was that it was often hard to tell whose perspective you were reading at the beginning of each chapter. Worse was that I forgot all the characters from The Fifth Wave and had to go back and review what had happened at the end of that book. It's a page turner for sure, and I liked getting some backstory about the aliens.

In a Handful of Dust, by Mindy McGinness 4/5

I liked Not a Drop to Drink, and I enjoyed this one too. I think she writes Lynn in a great way, she's a simple creature with a not so simple task. I find my reading slows down when I read her parts because that's how I picture her speaking. Aside from one very disturbing scene, I thought this was a great on-the-road/ survival story.

Are you referring to The Infinite Sea by chance? Or is it The 5th Wave.
Either way, I agree about the dying part. Either kill the character or don't but don't pretend you are and then have them show up again.
I was referring to The Infinite Sea...
The switching part really wasn't that much of a both to me, and usually it is. I didn't like reading that end part with Razor though. I also re-read the first one before I read this one. I do have a question since you read it:
They made it seem as though there weren't any aliens at all when Vosch was talking to Razor, is that true? It was the humans in the end that we're killing off each other?

Old October 9th, 2014, 2:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
I was referring to The Infinite Sea...
The switching part really wasn't that much of a both to me, and usually it is. I didn't like reading that end part with Razor though. I also re-read the first one before I read this one. I do have a question since you read it:
They made it seem as though there weren't any aliens at all when Vosch was talking to Razor, is that true? It was the humans in the end that we're killing off each other?
I think I was only frustrated by the different POVs because I couldn't remember who was who. But re-reading helped sort that out.

Yes, humans killing humans was how I interpreted it. That the humans like Vosch were programmed to think they were really an alien conscious, but weren't really. I feel like now that Evan Walker 'crashed' that he'll have the same realization in the next book - that he was human all along and just programmed to think he was an alien conscious. I liked how Ringer kept questioning - why the waves, why not the big bang. And to me it makes sense that if they were going to come down and inhabit a planet and take over human forms, that they would need to understand human nature.

It reminded me a lot of Mockingjay where Beetee and Gale were experimenting with weaponry using human nature as bait. The child in need of medical attention, a group forms around her, and then detonating because a concentration of CO2 has been detected. That was the same as the silver parachutes at the end of Mockingjay. Irked me a bit, but still rang true and sick at the same time.

My question is - the technology. How do you develop a technology where you can download superpowers and the belief that you are really someone else into a human conscious. I guess if you think of it in terms of brainwashing, then it's not that far fetched. But I'd like to see the mechanics explained in the next installment.

Old October 20th, 2014, 3:51 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

7/10 Broken Harbor - Tana French

Old October 25th, 2014, 8:01 pm
Snidget of Champions

A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin: 7/10

This book is a solid 7, though by Goodreads standards I ranked it the equivalent of a 6: I liked it. Not much more, nor less. It's a good book and an engaging enough read, but it's missing something that makes me invest in the characters and story. Partly, I think too much is going on, and the book isn't well enough constructed or written to engage me in each of the stories. Martin populates the book with exhaustive detail and imagery, yet it falls flat - for me - on actually bringing the world to life. Worth the read (or listen, in my case) and continuing on with the series, but not an epic that comes to life or sparks my imagination.

Before A Game of Thrones I listened to OotP, hence my inactivity in this thread! Two long books took quite the time to listen to. I'm surprised it didn't take longer, actually.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138

Last edited by MrSleepyHead; October 25th, 2014 at 8:04 pm.
Old October 30th, 2014, 8:32 pm
Sixth Year

Our Mutual Friend, by Charles Dickens - 7/10

The book has flaws, indeed. It it takes awfully long for the plot to get a decent pace; and I imagine that for the original readers it was quite frustrating to open the paper expecting some advance in the Harmon murder and finding another Veneering dinner. I could have done without most of the "Society" chapters, because I don't catch Dickens well when he gets sarcastic. And if you don't like that the author sometimes uses a very moralistic tone, you won't like this book at all.

On the other hand, though not all the sub-plots work equally well, Dickens builds a solid and coherent story. Sometimes you think he's wandering off and wasting time with trivialities, and suddenly he manages to reconnect with the main plot through some unlikely event that however feels quite natural (just when you are are wondering why he's telling you all of Betty's misadventures on the road -plop- you find missing Lizzie and, as a bonus, see Bella and Rokesmith going back to civilized terms). His talent for emotional scenes is at his best, and the character construction is wonderful.

Old October 30th, 2014, 9:01 pm

Sisterland by Curtis Stittenfeld - 7/10

I'm always surprised by this author's ability to get inside her character's heads. If you liked Prep or American Wife, you'll like Sisterland too. It's about twin sisters that have 'senses' often showing up in the shape of dreams or disjointed visions. One sister embraces this gift, the other rejects it. A big prediction is made, but of course doesn't pan out as anyone expected.

Old November 14th, 2014, 3:50 pm
Sixth Year

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, by John Le Carré - 8/10

Complex and thrilling, excellent spy story.

Old November 21st, 2014, 12:05 am
Snidget of Champions

Does it count if I only read 1/5 of it? I'll post it here, regardless.

The Alchemyst by Michael Scott: 3/10

Clearly intended for a younger readership, but even with that mindset I rate it low. The book is shallow: characters, setting, plot, description. Events and characters' responses to the events are overly matter-of-fact, which paints a very unrealistic world (and I mean in character interactions, decisions, and background). I've heard little about this series but have seen it advertised in bookstores a few times, and it seems to be billed as a gripping fantasy series for young adults/children. As a young adult/child I would find its shallowness a bit insulting; as an adult, I find it unbearable. I don't mean to be overly harsh, as I did try to enjoy this book and can see some merit, but that merit is limited and the book is fundamentally flawed in a way that makes it unenjoyable for me.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old November 30th, 2014, 11:33 am
Assistant to Minister Granger

The Summer Before the Dark by Doris Lessing, 5/5, review

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry, 5/5, a very short review

Old December 8th, 2014, 3:20 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

7/10 Carrie - Stephen King

Old December 18th, 2014, 10:08 pm
Sixth Year

A Confederacy of Dunces, by John Kennedy Toole - 6.5/10

The Secret Life of Bletchley Park, by Sinclair McKay - 5.5/10

Last edited by MmeBergerac; December 18th, 2014 at 10:10 pm.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 4:07 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

10/10 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction