Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Rate and review the last book you read

Old September 27th, 2010, 3:52 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Re: Rate and review the last book you read

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury. 7/10

This book was a lot like The Handmaid's Tale for me. Awesome story, hated the style of writing. I understand why the author used a poetic style to the writing, but sometimes I had to go back and re-read to see what was imagined and what was happening.

Old September 27th, 2010, 4:08 am
Hogwarts Graduate

A orillas del rio piedra me sente a llorar by Paulo Cohelo.

Good book. Bit cheesy , but tolerable. Very good quotes for life and a most interesting message. Definetly a most have book. 9/10

Frida by Paulo Coehlo . I thought would be more interesting. It talks about withces and wizards and the magic of the sun and the moon. But I personally found it a bit boring, way too cheesy and it lingered forever on some topics. 6/10

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old September 29th, 2010, 9:09 am
Second Year

A Storm Of Swords.

This book is great. i really liked all of the pov's there's never really a chapter,sure some are less good than others, but i liked them all a good bit. Which is really something because the book is 923 pages long. 9.75/10

The Reckoning

Third book in the Darkest Powers series about a bunch of teenagers on the run from this cooperation. I liked the first book in the series a lot, the second to me was okay, but not a lot really happened as it was more of a book that just got the charecters where they needed to go. the thrid picks up where the second left off. i actually liked that they stayed in one place rather than ran all over, it gave time for charector development and this one actually had some cool story elements instead of the second's "We need to go here" story. but my one problem with the book was, they stayed in that place for a while with not a lont going on, sure there are things here and there, but nothing really starts to go down until about halfway through the book.

Another thing i didn't like was how open ended the book's ending was. Especially since t his is the last book in this trilogy. i know there is susposed to be another trilogy after this, but it's with different charecters set in the same universe. I like my series ending to be all tied up, maybe with some loose ends, but the main story i want done, this felt like a nother book in a series of 5 or 6 books, not the end to a trilogy

Last edited by Reid; October 2nd, 2010 at 2:36 am. Reason: Read a new book
Old October 4th, 2010, 4:25 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

10/10 Pretty Little Liars
This is the first book of the Pretty Little Liars series. It's an easy read, but there's so much drama in it, I totally loved it.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 7th, 2010, 4:07 am
Malum Veneficus

The Days - Taha Hussain. I finished part 1 and started part 2. I'm not sure what's so wonderful about it, or what makes it a very popular work. But I'm not going to judge now, with part two and three left. Anyways I'm going to give part 1: 7/10.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeť & Scrambled Eggs

American Conspiracies -- Jessie Ventura -- 8/10

Very good book -- recommend it . No matter what side you're on, it's worth a read.

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.

Last edited by Fawkesfan1; October 8th, 2010 at 8:51 pm.
Old October 8th, 2010, 5:45 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

9/10 The Likeness by Tana French

Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 10th, 2010, 4:10 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

8/10 Perfect Murder, Perfect Town

Old October 10th, 2010, 1:31 pm
Malum Veneficus

Inkheart - Cornelia Funke 8/10. A very creative idea for a book. I liked the plot, but I didn't think any of the characters were really well written, certainly not her villains. Besides I think she made it easy lots of times for her characters to get away from something, and not really in a smart way (i.e because they happened to have a knife or a gun, because their enemies were looking away, sleeping...). They didn't have much losses either, even though the conditions they were in, were supposed to be deadly.
I'm really curious about the second book because major things seemed to have been ended and resolved in the first book, and other things were so mysterious, I expect they'll be clarified in the second book.
All in all, I liked it well enough, I think it might easily appeal to book lovers, since the main characters love books so much themselves.

Thanks to my secret sigswitch maker, for the wonderful avatar and signature!

Sig/avatar pictures by Cassandra Austen.
Old October 10th, 2010, 7:24 pm
Fourth Year

Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - I loved this book and I cried at the end. I felt incredibly sorry for Stephen and I'm not sure how I feel about Isabella. I feel sorry for her, never having a decent family and running away when there is a slight chance of having one. I had to get used to the war descriptions which I'm not used to reading. It got a bit boring at times.

I felt really sorry for Weir when he got back to his family on leave and they were so disinterested. Stupid people...

"I would rather have a prostate exam on live television by a guy with very cold hands than have a Facebook page."

- George Clooney, on his aversion to the social networking site.
Old October 10th, 2010, 7:54 pm
Second Year

From class: Fahrenheit 451 7/10

I actually loved the way Bradbury formed his story, and how descriptive he gets at parts, but then again, that actually hinders the text sometimes, in my opinion. It just gets confusing in parts. And part 3 was a complete letdown. I was expecting Clarisse to show up and for Guy to get everything he ever wanted (AKA real happiness), but no. Bradbury decided to blow up the city. Which actually seemed like a very convenient way to end the story....

On my own: The Art of Racing in the Rain, 10/10

I love this book. So much. It is the better, more mature version of Marley & Me. I would honestly recommend this book to anybody. It has some serious topics, but it's an amazing book and a wonderful story.

July 15th!

Siggie by me, pic used with permission from tiffany
Old October 10th, 2010, 8:03 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPitty23 View Post
From class: Fahrenheit 451 7/10

I actually loved the way Bradbury formed his story, and how descriptive he gets at parts, but then again, that actually hinders the text sometimes, in my opinion. It just gets confusing in parts. And part 3 was a complete letdown. I was expecting Clarisse to show up and for Guy to get everything he ever wanted (AKA real happiness), but no. Bradbury decided to blow up the city. Which actually seemed like a very convenient way to end the story....
Boo! F451 is amazing. You students always want a happy ending. There are no happy endings in life. Did you note my use of fallacies there?

Quote:
On my own: The Art of Racing in the Rain, 10/10

I love this book. So much. It is the better, more mature version of Marley & Me. I would honestly recommend this book to anybody. It has some serious topics, but it's an amazing book and a wonderful story.
This sounds really good. I believe I have it in my classroom library. I must read it once summer comes and I no longer have to read essays and books for school.

Old October 10th, 2010, 8:07 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by freelantzer View Post
Boo! F451 is amazing. You students always want a happy ending. There are no happy endings in life. Did you note my use of fallacies there?

This sounds really good. I believe I have it in my classroom library. I must read it once summer comes and I no longer have to read essays and books for school.

Well, I can understand your fallacy, and I realize that there is a grimness to life, but [/i]come on![/i] At least Bradbury could have given us a brief summary of what really happened to Clarisse!!!

And The Art of Racing in The Rain is absolutely phenomenal. Potter gave me a copy, and I fell in love with it.

July 15th!

Old October 10th, 2010, 8:13 pm
Hiding under Johnny's bed...

Quote:
Well, I can understand your fallacy, and I realize that there is a grimness to life, but [/i]come on![/i] At least Bradbury could have given us a brief summary of what really happened to Clarisse!!!
Well, as Potter would say, "Embrace the ambiguity." I'm betting you'll hear her say that often next year.
Quote:
And The Art of Racing in The Rain is absolutely phenomenal. Potter gave me a copy, and I fell in love with it.
Okay. It's definitely going on my To Read list.

Old October 14th, 2010, 1:23 am
Second Year

Pssh. I still think Bradbury's done much better than Fahrenheit.

Well, this isn't the last book I've read, but it definitely deserves some publicity. 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. 8/10. This is a book I think every teenager, and even most adults need to read. It teaches us how our actions have huge effects on other peoples' lives. So, definitely read it.

July 15th!

Old October 17th, 2010, 5:04 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

10/10 Flawless: Pretty Little Liars #2

Old October 17th, 2010, 6:25 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Rich Like Us - Nayantara Sahgal

9/10 - It is easy to understand why Sahgal won the Sinclair Prize and the Sahitya Akademi Award for this book. She has this amazing talent of putting across the most complex ideas and opinions in the way of a story. This book is a snapshot of India and some of her people, before and after Independence and how the Emergency diminished if not demolished the very ideals upon which the country was founded. She writes beautifully and I only wish Sahgal is made more popular and accessible to the many book lovers who deserve to read someone of her calibre.

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; October 17th, 2010 at 6:34 am.
Old October 17th, 2010, 11:37 am
Third Year

Birdsong - Sebastian Faulks 9/10 - This definitely lived up to the multitude of recommendations I was given for it, it makes me embarrassed I hadn't read it before. At first I wasn't sure about the 'jumping around' style but it was beautifully written and the content is just tragic. I really loved it.

Old October 17th, 2010, 11:03 pm
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

Ender's Game - Orsen Scott Card

8/10. This book was written about 30 years ago, but is still so relevant, particularly for a sci-fi book.

Old October 19th, 2010, 8:39 am
Second Year

A feast for Crows.

After a Storm of Swords, everybody tries to regroup and pick up the pieces left.

First of all, this book is a lot more slower than any of the others in the series, it takes a while for anything to to start happening, and takes a while longer for those things things to really boil over. so this book has some really dull moments. I know after A storm of Sword some sort of cool down was needed and that the pace couldn't keep up forever, but i often found myself looking to see how many pages i had left.

Another thing is this book was origonally susposed to include all of the charector pov's from the first 3 books, but it grew to be too long so 4 or 5 of the charectors were cut out and put into the upcoming 5th book.

Witrh all that said it's still a good book, there are some really cool moments in it, just not as much as in the others 8/10

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction