Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Is it weird to have a crush on a fictional character?

Old May 31st, 2008, 12:28 pm
Third Year

Re: Is it wierd to have a crush on a fictional character?

I don't really think it's weird, not unless there is some kind of basement shrine with a million pictures covering the walls. lol
But to me, it's just like liking a celebrity. Sure the traits the character has may not likely in a real person, but that is what is good about them. Its obviously not love, but more infatuation, they are extremly admirable. And it's not like they are perfect, JKR shows the charecters flaws, but IMO that kind of adds to the greatness of them.
The charecters I tend to like a lot usually reflect in some way people I tend to like in real life.

Sponsored Links
Old June 1st, 2008, 4:52 am
Seventh Year

It's not weird to have a crush on a fictional character at all. I know that I have had crushes on them before. Just as long as it remains an innocent crush. When it gets to the point of obsession it can get a bit dangerous. I don't really think it is possible to actually love a fictional character.
I agree with what GemmaBlack said when she likened it to when we become infatuated with celebrities, which I am also guilty of.

Old June 19th, 2008, 7:41 am
Fifth Year

I think it's weird only if the character is such an obvious Gary Stu/Mary Sue *coughEdwardCullencough*

Old June 30th, 2008, 7:42 pm
Defender of Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGG View Post
I think it's weird only if the character is such an obvious Gary Stu/Mary Sue *coughEdwardCullencough*
What's to like about a character that is purposely made ot to be perfect in every sense of the word?

Old June 30th, 2008, 8:05 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathlyH View Post
What's to like about a character that is purposely made ot to be perfect in every sense of the word?
Do I detect a hint of jealousy of Edward Cullen from you two?

Just kidding. I agree completely, by the way. It's the characters' flaws that make them more realistic and appealing to me. It's one reason why I don't really like Edward that much.

I don't think it is weird to have a crush on fictional characters, per se (because if it is, then I'm weird ) but only if the person realises that the character is fictional and not real. Although to wish that the particular character was real isn't that bad...

Last edited by Snivelly; June 30th, 2008 at 8:08 pm.
Old June 30th, 2008, 8:17 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

If you are aware it is a fictional character and dont expect that person to pop out of the story, movie or whatever, then it is ok.IMO.

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old June 30th, 2008, 8:21 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivelly View Post
Do I detect a hint of jealousy of Edward Cullen from you two?
That makes me think of how whenever girls say they hate Bella, everyone's like, "You're just jealous!"

Quote:
Just kidding. I agree completely, by the way. It's the characters' flaws that make them more realistic and appealing to me. It's one reason why I don't really like Edward that much.
I completely agree - perfection is boring. Even though I don't think Edward is perfect, but this isn't really the place to get into that. Either way, I definitely don't like him.

Quote:
I don't think it is weird to have a crush on fictional characters, per se (because if it is, then I'm weird ) but only if the person realises that the character is fictional and not real. Although to wish that the particular character was real isn't that bad...
Mhmm. Except people always try to tell me my James isn't real... I don't know where they get that idea from.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old June 30th, 2008, 9:02 pm
Sixth Year

I hope it's not too weird, for I've have had more crushes for fictional characters than for real people (yes, my sentimental life is a bore). It was Mr Athos, first; then Edmond Dantés, aka Count of Monte Cristo; Aragorn, son of Arathorn, etc came a bit later... Of course, Mr Darcy and Mr Knightley, too. And Remus J. Lupin. The last strong one was Captain Peter Blood, three months ago (sigh).

Er... seeing that list, I've realized that I have a very old-fashioned taste for men...

Old June 30th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LoonyLovegood_ View Post
That makes me think of how whenever girls say they hate Bella, everyone's like, "You're just jealous!"
But I don't like Edward! Why would I be jealous of Bella? It's sort of a good thing Bella loves Edward, that leaves Jacob for me

Quote:
I completely agree - perfection is boring. Even though I don't think Edward is perfect, but this isn't really the place to get into that. Either way, I definitely don't like him.
Me neither.

Quote:
Mhmm. Except people always try to tell me my James isn't real... I don't know where they get that idea from.
Delusions, delusions. You should grow out of them, hon. James may not be real, but he's definitely mine.

P.S. Let's not continue this never ending war here lest the mods kick us out

Last edited by Snivelly; June 30th, 2008 at 9:30 pm.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:47 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I hope it's not too weird, for I've have had more crushes for fictional characters than for real people (yes, my sentimental life is a bore).
I'm the same way. I actually ended a relationship when I realized I had stronger feelings for James than the person I was with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snivelly View Post
But I don't like Edward! Why would I be jealous of Bella? It's sort of a good thing Bella loves Edward, that leaves Jacob for me
Haha, I'm not saying you are, I'm just saying I always hear people say that about girls who hate Bella. I hate her too, so obviously I don't think that's the case. To make this on topic: I have a huge crush on Carlisle.

Quote:
Delusions, delusions. You should grow out of them, hon. James may not be real, but he's definitely mine.

P.S. Let's not continue this never ending war here lest the mods kick us out
James is real, and he is mine. Silly girl.

ps. I agree. This is totally on topic though; we're discussing our love for fictional characters! But we should probably move it to the James group.

Signature by ~under-blue-skies on DA
Old July 7th, 2008, 5:40 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmeBergerac View Post
I hope it's not too weird, for I've have had more crushes for fictional characters than for real people (yes, my sentimental life is a bore). It was Mr Athos, first; then Edmond Dantés, aka Count of Monte Cristo; Aragorn, son of Arathorn, etc came a bit later... Of course, Mr Darcy and Mr Knightley, too. And Remus J. Lupin. The last strong one was Captain Peter Blood, three months ago (sigh).

Er... seeing that list, I've realized that I have a very old-fashioned taste for men...
We have similar tastes in men, although I am one of the few it seems not affected by Mr. Darcy. I prefer Mr. Rochester.

Would you kill the spider to save the butterfly?
Old July 9th, 2008, 1:10 am
First Year

Eekgad! Weird? To love a fictional character? No way!

All a simple fangirl/fanguy has to do if they are head over heels in love with a fictional character is either wait patiently for the movie to come out and then fall in love with the actor/actress (henceforth making it a non-fictional character) or wait around for a real guy/girl who has an uncanny resemblance in personality, traits and looks to your fictional character, and fall in love with that person!

See relationships can workout that way! Well, unless you accidentally start calling your uncanny resemblance by your fictional characters name... that might be a hard one to explain.

Feel free to be utterly confused by the above comment.

that I am up to
no good

Old July 9th, 2008, 11:56 am
First Year

I have always been in love with "fictionnal characters". Sirius Black, Aragorn, Jondalar from Earth's Children...but I don't think it is bad or weird to have a crush on them.
I mean, it's part of my imagination, it's not something that relies on the reality and as long as it doesn't affect my mental health, I don't see what's bad !

It's not weird either. I mean, even when you're in love with a real person, at the beginning, when you don't know him or her well, you imagine tons of things about him, and you wish it to be true. I think it is necessary for us to imagine things and to dream.

Old July 10th, 2008, 10:50 pm
I want to believe

I have several fictional character crushes, including Remus Lupin, Aragorn, Faramir, and a couple others. I don't think it's weird/bad as long as it doesn't get out of hand.

X-Files is the property of Ten Thirteen Productions, 20th Century Fox
WolfCloak30 Pottermore
Old July 13th, 2008, 4:36 pm
Registered Animagus

It's fine as long as the ideal doesn't prevent you from meeting someone less than perfect because they don't measure up to Mr. Darcy or Sirius Black.
I realise in reality I wouldn't be right for Mr. Darcy at all and it wouldn't work out but it's nice to have a fictional man to admire. Fictional men on paper work even better than a movie character because you can visualise them how you want. [Even if means ignoring the writers word sometimes.]
Mr. Darcy isn't perfect though. He has no sense of humour about himself.
That's where fictional men are even better. You can have more than one crush without being disloyal or as Ron would put it - A Scarlett Woman.

Old July 28th, 2008, 10:05 pm
Second Year

It isn't weird.....as long as you don't get so obsessed that you believe them to be real. I mean, how many girls read Jane Eyre and fell instantly in love with Mr Rochester?!

Let's see........Sirius Black. Mr Darcy. Mr Knightley. Captain Wentworth. D'Artagnan.Athos.Vronsky.Pierre Bezukhov. Andrei Bolkonski.Mark Darcy.Heathcliff. And I am sure there are more..............

Old August 6th, 2008, 11:10 pm
Sixth Year

Plus Edmund Bertram, Peter Blood, the Black Corsair, Henri de Lagardere, Raoul de Bragelonne, Edmond Dantés, Mihail Strogoff...

Old August 22nd, 2008, 8:55 am
First Year

I think this thread raises the larger question faced by all of us Potterheads, which is: How much escapist fiction is too much? Having a crush on a fictional character is just one facet of the practice of using fiction as a substitute for real life when real life becomes overwhelming, oppressive or just plain tedious. Personally I think escapist literature is great, but I also recognize that there is a point beyond which it becomes like a drug.

There are times in most of our lives when reality is so bad that we need a respite from it, and reading strikes me as one of the healthier ways of obtaining that -- as long as we know when it's time to pull back from the brink of confusing the ideal with the real. Tolkien's essay "On Fairy-Stories" (from Tree and Leaf) gets into a fairly erudite explanation of the healing power of fantasy literature on four fronts: Fantasy, Recovery, Escape and Consolation.

Crushes on fictional characters, like crushes on celebrities, can be a convenient way to explore fantasies that we aren't ready to act out in real life, or that would not be safe or appropriate. For young girls (and maybe boys as well) on the verge of adolescence, it's "practice" for the dating world without all the real-life risks. For older women (or men) who are in a committed relationship but have hit a dry spell, it sure beats having an affair and risking one's long-term stake in the partnership. But like I said, you need to know where to draw the line and not get sucked too far into the fictional vortex -- "to dwell on dreams and forget to live," as Dumbledore says.

No one yet has mentioned one of my favorite literary crush objects: Augustus McRae in Lonesome Dove -- a book I was astonished to find out that I loved, since I had never previously had any interest in Westerns. Getting to know that sly, sexy, brave, cantankerous con man Gus in print made me look at older guys in a whole appreciative new light!

- Noam Chomsky, Syntactic Structures
Old August 25th, 2008, 4:03 am
Qvack...

No, I'm not really seeing how it's weird. It's a fairly normal thing as far as I can tell. Everybody I know finds a character they like.

It doesn't necessarily make us drooling idiots, and I have to protest that point. It just means that you like a character, for whatever reason.

Of course, there is some drooling, but nyeh. I think the guys who haven't got the fangirls are just jealous cos secretly they'd love it!!

THE DUCK.

Old August 25th, 2008, 7:02 pm
Sixth Year

Not at ALL weird to have a crush on a fictional character. In fact, I think literary crushes in particular are more reasonable than a lot of crushes people get in the "real world." When you think about it, a good writer is doing his/her job when he/she makes a character feel real to us. . . alive. So why wouldn't we be prone to get a little crush? And when you read, you spend a lot of time with that character: getting to know him/her, reading between the lines, etc. Truly, I think if more people spent the amount of time they did trying to understand the motivations of their favorite characters as they did in their real-world relationships, the world would be a much more pleasant place!

The other thing that's great about literary crushes is that you're literally falling for a character rather than a look. Sure, some writers go into intense detail describing appearance, but my guess is that most of us wouldn't go all head-over-heels if JKR stopped at describing Sirius's rugged good looks and nothing more. We obviously construct ideas of what these characters look like in our heads (which probably contributes quite a bit to the "crush" factor, as they can look like whatever we prefer!), but we get so much more of who they are beyond what we might see if we saw them walking down the street. Yet in the real world. . . how many times have we seen that gorgeous stranger across a room and had mad delusions of grandeur without knowing so much as the person's name? At least in a book, you know that most of the time.