Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Ultimate Film Collection Editions etc

Old December 8th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Fifth Year

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

I've preordered them. Amazon expects them to come at about December 14th.

Old December 8th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Third Year

Got mine and they are so beautiful. Was scared that I wouldn't be able to watch the special features since I don't have my PS3, but they are on the regular DVD.

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:41 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
I need to ask...can you check the scene in COS when Harry and Ron arrive at Hogwarts with the flying car and Snape is interrogating them? Can you tell me if Dumbledore has a line at the end of the scene right before they all turn to leave Snape's office? The line goes something like, "And now I think we should all return to the feast. There is a delicious looking custard-tart that I am most anxious to sample". Is this line in the DVD extended version? It's in the ABC family version and I love it.

I appreciate it.
Yes there is

Old December 9th, 2009, 12:57 am
Fifth Year

The Leaky Cauldron has images of the packaging up, which looks like cloth. I'm just wondering, is it real cloth, or is it just printed to look like cloth?

Old December 9th, 2009, 1:44 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
The Leaky Cauldron has images of the packaging up, which looks like cloth. I'm just wondering, is it real cloth, or is it just printed to look like cloth?
It's definitely not cloth (I can see why you would think that given the photo). It's leatherish (sort of like the LOTR extended editions; it's even magnetized when it closes) and there's a plastic slipcover that goes over top of it. They're actually quite heavy.

I just received both SS and COS UEs today and I can't wait to check out all the extras!

Old December 9th, 2009, 5:09 am
Second Year

hey feel free to post your own reviews on this thread of the ultimate editions and all the new footage please, particulary the 8 part documental

Old December 9th, 2009, 6:39 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockstopper View Post
hey feel free to post your own reviews on this thread of the ultimate editions and all the new footage please, particulary the 8 part documental
Alrighty, well first off the Ultimate Editions are quite thick. A slipcover covers each of them (side by side they look quite nice and match up) and there are three plastic/cardboard fold-outs. The first foldout contains 3 discs: the first disc is the Movie Disc (on blu-ray the theatrical and extended editions are on one disc but the DVD has two separate discs for each edition); the second disc of each UE contains the hour-long documentary (the first 2 hours of what will be an 8-hour documentary for all UE's. It will be 8 parts of a single documentary when all the UEs are released). Also on the second disc is ALL the trailers for each movie, every TV spot, SS/PS has an international featurette and COS has an HBO special. Deleted scenes are also featured but are merely what have already been re-inserted into the extended cuts. Screen tests for Dan, Rupert and Emma are also featured on this disc. Onto the last disc, which I haven't yet checked out, is simply the same bonus materials as the previously released DVD/blu-ray editions, straight down to the mini-games in the classrooms. The second foldout is two big cardboard character cards: Harry and McGonnagall for SS/PS and Hagrid and Snape for COS. The last foldout contains the hardcover book which features photographs from all the films and conceptual art.

As for the documentaries themselves, I have to say they're fantastic and these sets are worth buying even for them alone. SS/PS UE's documentary is "The Magic Begins" and is an in-depth look at the making of the film which includes; the casting process, the daunting task of creating a series faithful to the books but that also needs to work cinematically (I've gained a lot more respect for Chris Columbus after watching this); they also explain how they came across Steve Kloves and why they felt he was the right man for the job. Producer David Heyman reveals many early photographs he took of the first day of shooting (in fact you get to witness the first day of shooting which, funnily enough, was the last scene in the film). Dan, Rupert and Emma speak of their characters on the set of Deathly Hallows and you see their younger selves speak about what it was like bringing these characters to life. Brief glimpses of their screen-tests are also shown but, as I mentioned prior, the COS UE has the entire screen-tests on Disc 2.

The second documentary on the COS UE is "Characters" and is about every major character cast in the film (each actor briefly discusses their character as well and there are rare never before seen footage of them filming their parts). This documentary is twenty minutes longer than the first and isn't so much about the filming process as it is simply the actors portraying their characters. This documentary features hilarious screen tests from Jessie Cave (Lavendar Brown) and Evanna Lynch (Luna Lovegood). Also there's a nice and touching tribute to Richard Harris who passed away after Film Two (his last words to Director Chris Columbus were pretty shocking). This documentary also has interviews from each director as they explain what they had to go through with the filming of their particular films; behind the scenes footage of them filming is also shown.

Overall the Ultimate Editions are worth it if you are like me, a huge fan of the movie series. The documentaries are lengthy and in-depth, the screen tests are amusing to watch (they were so young!), and there's some interesting featurettes to watch which had been featured previously before on HBO. I highly recommend them.

Old December 10th, 2009, 10:42 am
Secret Keeper

The 8 Part Documentary does sound like a fantastic special feature

Anyways, I suppose this doesn't really matter cause if I buy these it'll be on blu-ray in a few years...but I'm curious what the differences are (if any) between the DVD and Blu-Ray versions of these "Ultimate Editions". Does the Blu-Ray have extra features like is typical of 'em?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
Anyone see the thumbnail pic of the whole Ultimate Edition collection of films 1-8? You can see the color scheme of each film and it seems like they match the book covers. Awesome

They are? Are you talking the US or UK book covers? Cause I know Sorcerer's Stone was not Blue here. Although really the color scheme only become noticeable for the US versions with the last 3 books (OotP- Blue, HBP- Green, DH- Orange/Brown) The first 4 books were more muti-colored and I guess you could say "childish" looking. It works though, since the end of GoF was the turning point in the series...

So, something I thought I'd mention. DML notified me that there has been some discussion regarding the Ultimate editions being a little different than simply the ABC Family extended versions that I thought these would be. Plus supposedly with CoS there are bits that weren't in the deleted scenes on the DVD either. Now we are talking pretty small differences, but still this might be hope for the Ultimate Editions of the later films to have more deleted scenes as I guess it's believed there wasn't much else cut from the first two, except like the Peeves footage...

So here are the links regarding this-

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/...nest/153080743

I hope the OP is right. Yate's 3 hour cut of OotP actually might be pretty sweet, considering my biggest complaint with that film is the frantic pacing and everything they left out, which in doing so they preposterously turned the longest book into the shortest film of all!

And if that thread disappears, here is the site he linked to in the opening post- http://movie-censorship.com/report.php?ID=4087653

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 10th, 2009 at 1:14 pm.
Old December 10th, 2009, 3:30 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyMuggle View Post
Also there's a nice and touching tribute to Richard Harris who passed away after Film Two (his last words to Director Chris Columbus were pretty shocking).
Oh yeah, I remember reading that in an interview back in 2003, fantastic!
Btw, was there any in-video-commentaries on the Bly-ray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
DML notified me that there has been some discussion regarding the Ultimate editions being a little different than simply the ABC Family extended versions that I thought these would be. Plus supposedly with CoS there are bits that weren't in the deleted scenes on the DVD either. Now we are talking pretty small differences, but still this might be hope for the Ultimate Editions of the later films to have more deleted scenes as I guess it's believed there wasn't much else cut from the first two, except like the Peeves footage...
We know from interviews and pictures that there are many little or bigger scenes/lines that was cut - also from the first two movies. Rik Mayall's Peeves, Dumbledore tells what he sees in the mirror, the hourglasses, madam Pince, Flitwick getting over-enthusiastic about a Quidditch game () and stuff like that. Not that important, but could be fun to see

Old December 10th, 2009, 4:20 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noldus View Post
What was his last words?
"Don't ever ****ing think about recasting me!"

Old December 10th, 2009, 6:49 pm
First Year

does anyone know if these are going to be released in England I've tried looking everywhere for some information and I can't find anything or are blu ray disc's regioned? Because a mate of mine had an American version of watchmen on blu ray but he can play on his ps3.......
Please help cos the set look magical - sorry

Old December 10th, 2009, 7:15 pm
Seventh Year

I'm getting both Ultimate Editions for Christmas! I can't wait! I heard that they were definitely worth it if you are a huge fan.

I read andrew sims review on them on mugglenet. REally good review. He suspects that with each part of the documentary, they will probably add up to an 8 or 9 hr documentary of the series which is awesome!

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old December 10th, 2009, 8:13 pm
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilleby View Post

We know from interviews and pictures that there are many little or bigger scenes/lines that was cut - also from the first two movies. Rik Mayall's Peeves, Dumbledore tells what he sees in the mirror, the hourglasses, madam Pince, Flitwick getting over-enthusiastic about a Quidditch game () and stuff like that. Not that important, but could be fun to see
Hmm, yeah I don't know. I was under that impression too. Like even with the long running times of the first too films and the greater amount of deleted scenes on the DVD's compared to the others...I still thought there was quite a bit more footage. This is compounded by Rachel (the member here who was lucky enough to see the screening of HBP) informing us that she saw cut of the film sent to the MPAA (through a friend who worked in the film/theatre business or something...can't remember how it was actually she managed had this privelage) and was surprised when she then saw the theatrical version had removed Snape's potion challenge from the film's climax.

And myself and the rest of the Princewatch crew talked with her alot and become friends and we don't take her to be a liar about this.

Regardless, if there is any other footage they are witholding...I hope we get to see it someday and therefore I hope these aren't really the "Ultimate" editions as the name would imply.

Afterall, it's been mentioned earlier in this thread that some films have more "Ultimate" editions than one can count Okay, that's probably an exaggeration...but you know how they milk these things. Won't be surprised if there's better yet to come in the future.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Last edited by lcbaseball22; December 10th, 2009 at 8:24 pm.
Old December 10th, 2009, 8:21 pm
Third Year

I don't see how it will be more. I don't think it's an infinity of footage like it was for LOTR's.

I think this is going to be it and your not going to be able to the clips that you'll want to see. I see these as the one's they are rolling with until the end.

Old December 11th, 2009, 12:56 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

All the extra footage of CoS listed on that site are all in the ABC family editions...

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old December 12th, 2009, 5:12 pm
Fifth Year

Got mine today!
And isn't that exciting... I bought them both, but I'm waiting until Christmas to open the first one, so as of right now, I haven't quite gotten around to opening the first.

The second was amazing, though. The documentary really was quite insightful, and the photo book won me over

Old December 12th, 2009, 5:35 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

I'd like to see the deleted scenes skillfully edited back into all of the films. I don't think audition tapes are that interesting and they wouldn't encourage me to buy the movie. Blooper scenes are a lot more entertaining. I agree with those who've recommended one disk with the theater version, one with the extended version, and a disk of "special features" for those who want them.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 14th, 2009, 10:09 am
First Year

Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have an idea (or even a rumor) about when the other Ultimate Editions will be released? I just watched the first two this weekend (with a break to get drunk but otherwise non-stop) in it's entirety.

Old December 14th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof_Lupin View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before but does anyone have an idea (or even a rumor) about when the other Ultimate Editions will be released? I just watched the first two this weekend (with a break to get drunk but otherwise non-stop) in it's entirety.
There's been not even a hint of when they may be released. All the insert says is "coming soon." It's up to speculation at this point but I'm assuming it may not be until Deathly Hallows Part 1 hits theaters.

Old December 20th, 2009, 6:29 pm
First Year

Harry Potter Years 1-6 DVD Set Question

Does the years 1-6 DVD set have all the special features (making-of documentaries, special effects, etc.) of the original DVDs, or does the DVD set only include the actual movie. I want to know this especially for the Half-Blood Prince DVD because I'd like to see all the special features that the 2-disk special edition has.

Thank you.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies