Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Ultimate Film Collection Editions etc

Old July 17th, 2009, 7:33 am
Second Year

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
While commentaries by writers and directors can be worthwhile (Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are brilliant) actor commentaries tend to degenerate into pointless anecdotes.

I LOVE audio comentaries. It's so insightful and like the director is right there with you talking about the film with you.

I am saddened that the Harry Potter films never have commentary by the filmmakers.

Old July 17th, 2009, 8:08 am
Sixth Year

Well I am a sucker for any deluxe sort of DVDs, so I will most likely buy them. But I do REALLY hope they have extended versions of the films with them. Ones we have not seen before, like the rumored clip in GoF when the trio meet up with Sirius in Hogsmeade like they do in the book.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 17th, 2009, 8:56 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK5555 View Post
Well I am a sucker for any deluxe sort of DVDs, so I will most likely buy them. But I do REALLY hope they have extended versions of the films with them. Ones we have not seen before, like the rumored clip in GoF when the trio meet up with Sirius in Hogsmeade like they do in the book.
That's definately just a rumour: Gary Oldman was only signed on to GoF for his voice..

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 17th, 2009, 10:03 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

I buy each DVD as it comes out but I won't buy an 'ultimate collection' until all of the films have been released. It seems a bit pointless otherwise

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old July 17th, 2009, 5:00 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wab View Post
While commentaries by writers and directors can be worthwhile (Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright are brilliant) actor commentaries tend to degenerate into pointless anecdotes.
Every actor commentary I've heard has been excellent. They have talked about how scenes were filmed, injuries, etc. That stuff is great to learn. In the actor commentary for Tropic Thunder, Robert Downey Jr. stays in character until the credits roll!

Old July 17th, 2009, 6:22 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

That's the stuff I'm not interested in. As I said, I like a good director/writer commentary which gives an insight into the creative process rather than anecdotes about filming.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old July 17th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACK5555 View Post
Welp, I never heard any rumors of THAT scene, but I do know of quite a few scenes i've seen or heard of that never made that i'd like to see:

Sorcerer's Stone:
-Harry, Ron, and Hermione take a look at the House Hourglasses. (This was a picture seen on a DVD advertisment in a magizine)

Prisoner of Azkaban:
-There's a brief scene after Ron and Hermione fight about Scabbers and BEFORE they meet Hagrid down at the lake. Harry gets a little mad at them for arguing, and says they need to meet Hagrid and support him or something, then they go to his hut and he's not there, so then they end up finding him by the lake. (A picture of this scene, alng with a brief description was in a Day-by-Day Calender for PoA)

Goblet of Fire:
-Ron saying "I love it when they do that." Hermione asking "Do what?" and Ron replying "You know." in that daised voice. (This was seen in a trailer and in some B-Roll footage)
-Harry's CUT Second attempt at opening the egg. He's in the dormitory, in bed, and everyone else is sleeping so he tried it again, in complete silence, and it makes the same screeching noise, waking everyone else up. (This was seen in a trailer as well as a released promotional image)
-The PROPER explanation of Priori Encantatum (sorry if i misspelled it) that takes place between Harry and Dumbledore out on a Balcony RIGHT AFTER Dumbledore begins to pull Harry out of Mad-Eye's office saying he's never had much time for heroes. (This was seen on the front and back of one of those "Scene Cards" for Goblet of Fire. I have no earthly idea WHY it was cut)
-The Waterfall Scene (This too was seen on GoF's day-by-day calender)

Order of the Phoenix:
-SNAPE'S WORST MEMORY
-And the other half hour that was lobbed off the film, not a 2 minute deleted scene of Emma Thompson eating during Umbridge's Speech.

Half-Blood Prince:
-"It's over" said by Snape
-"If you take that you'll be paying for it in more than Galleons my friend! We've got eyes in the back of our heads!" in Weasley's Wizard Wheezes.

Those are the only unused scene's I can think of at the moment, and I woul like it if they had a FILMMAKER'S commentary and a CAST commentary then those who like one or the other will have a choice! and yes, normally for actual features I'd prefer some Behind-the-scene "How we did this!" stuff. Sorcerer's Stone of Chamber of Secrets had NOTHING of the sort. All these DVD's could've been (and hopefully WILL be) alot cooler if they just had som more special features on them.

"The Boy Who Lived Is Almost Here"

I've Been Sorted and I am a very proud Gryffindor!

Last edited by harry5678; July 17th, 2009 at 7:23 pm.
Old July 18th, 2009, 12:36 pm
First Year

Like many of you I would like the extended versions of the movies. Commentaries would be wonderful as well and maybe the audition tapes for some of the other actors like Tom, Alan, etc.

Old July 18th, 2009, 12:54 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusBlossom View Post
Like many of you I would like the extended versions of the movies. Commentaries would be wonderful as well and maybe the audition tapes for some of the other actors like Tom, Alan, etc.
I don't think the adult 'star-actors' did auditions that way...(:

Old July 18th, 2009, 1:00 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilleby View Post
Oh darn! Thanks for the info though. I would think they would be quite interesting, especially Alan's.

Old July 18th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Fifth Year

The extended/Director's Cut editions are a must, no question. Anything else is fine but I want those above all else.

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:17 pm
First Year

Wow...I have fallen right into the marketing trap...

I never even thought about extended/special/ultimate/collector's editions....I have been buying the DVD's (usually the two-disk editions) as they have come out, and come to think of it I was a little miffed by how little extra content there was, even on the special editions. But I never thought about what WB really wants: us to buy each DVD as it comes out, then fork over another $100+ for the big fat versions eventually

That being said, I probably will end up doing exactly what they want me to do and giving them the most money possible. In that case, I will hope for deleted scenes, commentary, behind the scenes stuff -- the usual

Proud member of
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:19 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilleby View Post
I read somewhere that Tom Felton auditioned for Ron Weasley at first. That would be interesting to see.

Old July 21st, 2009, 4:08 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
That's definately just a rumour: Gary Oldman was only signed on to GoF for his voice..
That is why I specified the word rumor in my post.
But anyways, don't we have confirmation of a Care of Magical Creatures scene in OotP that was shot, but not included?

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 23rd, 2009, 10:36 am
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack5555 View Post
That is why I specified the word rumor in my post.
But anyways, don't we have confirmation of a Care of Magical Creatures scene in OotP that was shot, but not included?
Yes, there was a set report somewhere. The scene with Hagrid showing the Thestrals and the Ministry's attack on McGonagall was both filmed!

Old July 26th, 2009, 12:59 am
First Year

cast commentaries and cast reflections

beyond words
Old July 26th, 2009, 1:38 am
Winning Teamster

I think we MUST finally get an extended interview with Alan Rickman. He has always refused to talk about his take on Snape 'so as not to spoil the end'. Well, once DH is done, that excuse is no longer valid.

I'd be extremely surprised if they did extended cuts for all HP films, or any except perhaps the Yates ones, and even that would surprise me.

To make a proper extended cut, you have to bring the director back, you have to write extra bits of score, you have to get the orchestra to record the score, you have to do post-production work on all the added scenes. In addition, you might need to bring the actors back for any ADR that's needed on dialogue - in the case of the earlier Potters they'd have to find a new young voice cast for the kids!

Occasionally a director gets the chance to do that on one movie (Scott for Blade Runner, but that's obviously a real classic, and a rare examples where extra SFX and so forth were done; both George Lucas and Peter jackson have their very own SFX houses, which makes things a lot easier). In any case, HP would be on quite a big scale, if you want a real extended edition with the extra scenes cut in seamlessly.

With LotR it was a lot easier, because they were producing the first two while everyone was still on set, and the SFX team was there, using slightly 'slower' times in the production year to do the additional SFX shots. The actors would also have been there for ADR, the composer was on hand, ahd they'd be hiring the musicians anyway for the next score. Only RotK needed some extra resources which wouldn't have been there anyway, but I guess they may have done some of the extended stuff already while editing the theatrical cut.

Moreover, in the case of LotR, many extras were specifically prepared while the production was going on, and they were also mostly shot while everyone was around. This wasn't standard back in 2001, so I doubt that Columbus would have produced a lot of really good special extras material (though they may well have stuff that's useable) - not sure about Cuaron, either.... Let's hope that Yates has done a bit more. After all, by now this is pretty much standard.....

But I wouldn't get my hopes up for really spectacular new extras for the earlier films..... or real extended movies, with scenes cut in seamlessly. It sounds like a lot of effort and extra expense, and I can't quite see that they'd go for THAT much of a risk, merely for a new box set?

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; July 26th, 2009 at 1:42 am.
Old July 26th, 2009, 1:48 am
Secret Keeper

At the least they could give us a DVD version of the films as they are run on ABC Family (with the deleted scenes edited back in) and some additional deleted scenes seperately on the DVD. I wouldn't care if the footage was completely finished or not...quite often the deleted scenes included on DVD's aren't finished. I know I've watched quite a few (typically smaller budget films) where post production isn't done.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old July 26th, 2009, 3:59 pm
First Year

does anyone know when the Collections will come out?

beyond words
Old July 26th, 2009, 4:18 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
At the least they could give us a DVD version of the films as they are run on ABC Family (with the deleted scenes edited back in) and some additional deleted scenes seperately on the DVD. I wouldn't care if the footage was completely finished or not...quite often the deleted scenes included on DVD's aren't finished. I know I've watched quite a few (typically smaller budget films) where post production isn't done.
I am sure that ought to be possible: lots of DVD extras have the additional scenes separately, and sometimes not entirely finished ones, as well, if the acting and/or dialogue is good anyway. It would just look quite odd to actually edit them into the film. Although some directors are very picky about that (in spite of its completest SEE DVDs there are even some known scenes from LotR which have never seen the light of day GRRR).

I wonder, though whether it would be possible to have extra scenes and somehow organise the DVD in a way so you can choose to watch them in their place if you'd like to. That should be possible even with existing DVD technology (although the menu options might be a bit clunky, or you'd have to click the remote especially to stop the film and add the scene in). In BluRay it should be a lot easier, though....

LC, do you know how the ABC extended versions were achieved? What do they look like? How much additional stuff is there? And who did that? Were these edited at the time the cinema edit was achieved? I can't quite see a TV company getting this done?

Obviously, if there are already extended cuts then that should definitely be included, and if would be difficult to see any reason for not doing so!

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; July 26th, 2009 at 4:21 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies