Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Ultimate Film Collection Editions etc

Old July 13th, 2010, 10:21 pm
Third Year

Re: Ultimate Film Collection Editions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Hold on, is everyone thinking just because there are 3 discs and not four there is no extended edition??

The other Ultimate editions had 3 discs as well. One disc with both versions of the movie on it (theatrical and extended), the second disc had the documentary on it with a few other extras and the third disc was the extras from the older DVD release.

I only have the Blu-Ray but I'm sure it's the same with the DVD...or is it?
no, its because WB didn't mention an extended edition when they announced the release of the dvds.

Sponsored Links
Old July 13th, 2010, 11:16 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Hold on, is everyone thinking just because there are 3 discs and not four there is no extended edition??

The other Ultimate editions had 3 discs as well. One disc with both versions of the movie on it (theatrical and extended), the second disc had the documentary on it with a few other extras and the third disc was the extras from the older DVD release.

I only have the Blu-Ray but I'm sure it's the same with the DVD...or is it?
There was confirmation a few pages back through both review of the DVDs and email to the reviewer and Warner Bros. As of the moment, there are no Extended Editions. I hope my letter will convince them to change their minds.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:28 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by jallen View Post
There was confirmation a few pages back through both review of the DVDs and email to the reviewer and Warner Bros. As of the moment, there are no Extended Editions. I hope my letter will convince them to change their minds.
Doubtful, unfortunately. They obviously have a reason not to include all the extra footage, it was probably not cost effective to integrate footage that would likely have required a lot of work (effects, ADR, new music), especially when you consider that these editions have probably not sold that much, I imagine most people who would purchase these films already have them (I certainly do), then there is the fact that the directors have moved on, as have the composers and editors. It's not worth the hassle from WBs perspective. PS and COS had these extensions already completed years ago, they have been aired on TV before, it cost little to slap those versions onto a disc. The later films are a whole other story.

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:52 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoshi2542 View Post
Doubtful, unfortunately. They obviously have a reason not to include all the extra footage, it was probably not cost effective to integrate footage that would likely have required a lot of work (effects, ADR, new music), especially when you consider that these editions have probably not sold that much, I imagine most people who would purchase these films already have them (I certainly do), then there is the fact that the directors have moved on, as have the composers and editors. It's not worth the hassle from WBs perspective. PS and COS had these extensions already completed years ago, they have been aired on TV before, it cost little to slap those versions onto a disc. The later films are a whole other story.
It's not that all. The work has already been done. It's one thing not to get even more extended edition but to not even get the extended versions as shown on ABC Family all the time is something else. POA, GOF and OOTP have all been extended on ABC Family as well and I'm pretty sure HBP will be extended as well when it finally airs on cable. I can't say for DH1 and DH2 though.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old July 13th, 2010, 11:57 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
It's not that all. The work has already been done. It's one thing not to get even more extended edition but to not even get the extended versions as shown on ABC Family all the time is something else. POA, GOF and OOTP have all been extended on ABC Family as well and I'm pretty sure HBP will be extended as well when it finally airs on cable. I can't say for DH1 and DH2 though.
I didn't know that. Just how extended were POA and GOF? Was it the approx. half hour people were talking about ages ago? If that stuff was completed and aired on TV then yeah, I don't know what the problem is. I'd be interested in seeing more completed footage from those two films.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:01 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
I didn't know that. Just how extended were POA and GOF? Was it the approx. half hour people were talking about ages ago? If that stuff was completed and aired on TV then yeah, I don't know what the problem is.
POA only had two scenes added in (extended scene of the bird flying and Hagrid trying to catch it and then a small scene where Sir Cadagen is the new portrait entrance to Gryffindor tower). I don't really care so much about POA. But GOF has the best new scenes.

GOF has every single deleted scene on the DVD incorporated back in except for the Yule Ball Weird sisters rock concert one. It's a lot of scenes.

OOTP has every deleted scene on the DVD except for the two Trelawny ones.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:05 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
POA only had two scenes added in (extended scene of the bird flying and Hagrid trying to catch it and then a small scene where Sir Cadagen is the new portrait entrance to Gryffindor tower). I don't really care so much about POA. But GOF has the best new scenes.

GOF has every single deleted scene on the DVD incorporated back in except for the Yule Ball Weird sisters rock concert one. It's a lot of scenes.

Oh so it's just scenes we've already seen. I thought they were doing a LOTR style thing. What was all that talk about 25 minutes of footage for POA and an extra hour for OOTP?

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:19 am
Third Year

Quote:

I agree that GoF has the best additional scenes of the series; it's a shame we are not gettin the extended editions...

so, the scene where everyone sing the Hogwarts song is incorporated back in on the ABC Family versions? I would like to see that...

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:19 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Oh so it's just scenes we've already seen. I thought they were doing a LOTR style thing. What was all that talk about 25 minutes of footage for POA and an extra hour for OOTP?
That was us fans hoping for an even more extended edition with scenes not on the DVD. But it looks like we're not even getting the ABC Family versions which is even worse.

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:20 am
Seventh Year

Quote:
Maybe this person was reviewing the Blu-Ray version which only has 3 discs?
I think that might be it

POTTERMORE USERNAME: FelicisNimbus168
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO ADD ME ON POTTERMORE PLEASE OWL ME HERE SO I KNOW WHO IT IS
Old July 14th, 2010, 2:28 am
Sixth Year

Yes, the POA extended version really isn't extended. Same with OotP. But GOF has some great scenes, especially a transition scene after Harry finds Crouch dead and before he goes to Dumbledore's office. In that scene, they actually say that he died, unlike in the normal version. In the normal version, you can barely hear Dumbledore whisper, "A man has died Cornelius", and then there is no other mention of him dying.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old July 14th, 2010, 9:51 am
Secret Keeper

I heard about the WB confirmation that there's no extended edition for PoA and GoF...that's such bull-**** However, does anyone think WB might be falsely mis-leading people so they can release them later and get people to double dip? Honestly, I wouldn't put it past 'em...

Which is why I'm waiting until all the films have been released to get a box set and see what their best offer is then *fingers crossed*

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:28 am
Second Year

I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. The reason I say this is because of the retrospective documentary they've included in these sets. When all eight parts of that documentary are released, it's pretty much the definitive "MAKING OF DOCUMENTARY" for the Potter series.

Now, more than likely, they'll release a box set of the series (Fall of 2011) but the contents will be the same as we have now with these ultimate editions. They may package them together as they are now or they may package them in smaller cases. But, if you look at the content between the first four films in these editions and guess what they'll do with the last four films based on the content we have now, they're positively stacked with supplement material.

Now, 10 from now when Sorcerer's Stone is celebrating it's 20th Anniversary, you may see WB double dip and re-release the films again as complete extended cuts (i.e., they actually went back to look at all the footage, completed the footage, scored the footage, and got the director's input). But, again, that's on an anniversary date.

Reset assured, WB will re-release these films again but it'll now be on anniversary dates. After Deathly Hallows Part 2 is released on video in the Fall of 2011, you won't be seeing the Potter films on home video that often. They may make the package the smaller, but the contents will be what we're getting right now.

Old July 14th, 2010, 11:44 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
I heard about the WB confirmation that there's no extended edition for PoA and GoF...that's such bull-**** However, does anyone think WB might be falsely mis-leading people so they can release them later and get people to double dip? Honestly, I wouldn't put it past 'em...

Which is why I'm waiting until all the films have been released to get a box set and see what their best offer is then *fingers crossed*
I think theres a chance any person at WB replying to this kind of question (who may not actually know the answer) may have just refered to text we've seen, and as theres no mention of extended cuts, concluded that there aren't any I wouldn't like to think they would go out of there way to mis-lead anyone

CONSTANT VIGILANCE,If It Has To Come To Force,Then It Will
You Have To Be Prepared For What Your Up Against!!
What Are Your Strengths?
Old July 14th, 2010, 12:04 pm
Banned

Well, I prefer to hear this info from Warner themselves in a direct email. I have emailed them before about the UEs and they said that they didn't know how much time would be put into the PoA and GoF. So, I emailed them again yesterday and am still waiting for a reply.

Old July 15th, 2010, 8:15 am
First Year

I'm really angry about this. I've got a list of nearly 30 fans on imdb who will boycott the UE's without Extended editions: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/...nest/166686289

We know the unreleased scenes exist! (Priori Incantantem Explanation and the Trio at the waterfall in GOF) Why can't they just give them to us?

This is what I sent WB:

Hello, I wanted to inquire over the Harry Potter Ultimate Editions. As you probably have heard, most fans are pretty upset with the news that the Ultimate Editions of Prisoner of Azkaban and Goblet of Fire will not include extended editions. As this is what the fans thought the main purpose of the Ultimate Editions were, it is a little baffling.

Though we are upset, we don't want to seem unreasonable. We understand that it would take countless hours to re-edit the film with special effects, soundtrack, etc. We do however wonder if there's a reason something like the ABC Family extended cuts wouldn't be included on the Ultimate Editions, as they put most of the deleted scenes from the film back in and most likely would suffice.

We are also wondering if the unreleased deleted scenes from the films will be included on the Ultimate Editions? Two in particular for Goblet of Fire: the Priori Incantantem Explanation scene with Harry and Dumbledore, and the scene where Harry, Ron, and Hermione talk by a waterfall. The fans would like to see these scenes very much, and including this never before seen footage on the Ultimate Editions would persuade the fans a lot more into buying them.

Thank you and I appreciate your time.

Last edited by Sportsman280; July 15th, 2010 at 8:41 am.
Old July 15th, 2010, 9:25 am
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman280 View Post
I'm really angry about this. I've got a list of nearly 30 fans on imdb who will boycott the UE's without Extended editions: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0926084/...nest/166686289

We know the unreleased scenes exist! (Priori Incantantem Explanation and the Trio at the waterfall in GOF) Why can't they just give them to us?
Because it isn't as simple as just splicing the footage in. The deleted scenes they have on the DVDs (at least in the case of GOF) were all completed, effects work was done, ADR was done, they had music, etc. They were scenes that were cut late in the day and can easily be plonked back into the movie. The unseen footage, like Dumbledore and Harry on the balcony, never reached that standard, most of it is probably raw footage, it would cost a significant amount of money to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the movie, then you must consider that the director and composer have moved on, that the children have aged (which would make dubbing awkward for the early films) and so on. Clearly they don't expect the sales of these DVDs to make enough money to cover those costs, not hard to understand, as most of these films have been available for years already (most people who want Potter on DVD probably have it already). It was possible with LOTR because production was constant throughout the release of the films, they could work on the extended DVDs as they worked on the next film, the cast and crew didn't change, but with Potter, several key crew members change each movie and they no longer have the original directors or composers. I think the best you can hope for, at least for now, is those ABC extended editions, though even that seems up in the air now (and most of those scenes added nothing IMO and deserved to be cut).

It was unusual enough that they allowed several deleted scenes on the POA DVD that were clearly unfinished, with incomplete effects, I doubt they will put what is basically raw footage on the DVDs, though it would be interesting. At least we'd get to see the scenes, even if they're not in the actual movie.

Last edited by yoshi2542; July 15th, 2010 at 9:27 am.
Old July 15th, 2010, 9:35 am
First Year

Quote:
Because it isn't as simple as just splicing the footage in. The deleted scenes they have on the DVDs (at least in the case of GOF) were all completed, effects work was done, ADR was done, they had music, etc. They were scenes that were cut late in the day and can easily be plonked back into the movie. The unseen footage, like Dumbledore and Harry on the balcony, never reached that standard, most of it is probably raw footage, it would cost a significant amount of money to bring it up to the standard of the rest of the movie, then you must consider that the director and composer have moved on, that the children have aged (which would make dubbing awkward for the early films) and so on. Clearly they don't expect the sales of these DVDs to make enough money to cover those costs, not hard to understand, as most of these films have been available for years already (most people who want Potter on DVD probably have it already). It was possible with LOTR because production was constant throughout the release of the films, they could work on the extended DVDs as they worked on the next film, the cast and crew didn't change, but with Potter, several key crew members change each movie and they no longer have the original directors or composers. I think the best you can hope for, at least for now, is those ABC extended editions, though even that seems up in the air now (and most of those scenes added nothing IMO and deserved to be cut).

It was unusual enough that they allowed several deleted scenes on the POA DVD that were clearly unfinished, with incomplete effects, I doubt they will put what is basically raw footage on the DVDs, though it would be interesting. At least we'd get to see the scenes, even if they're not in the actual movie.
I understand not putting those scenes back into an extended edition. But there's no reason not to include them (especially Dumbledore and Harry & the Waterfall scene) on the dvd! Does WB know how dedicated Harry Potter fans are? Do you think we would begrudge them if they released these scenes unfinished? No, of course not! We would be grateful to have them. Can they just put those scenes on the dvds? Is that so much to ask for an Ultimate Edition with no extended version?

Old July 15th, 2010, 6:13 pm
Third Year

Here are the pictures of the DVD sets and they have just three discs too

"You said to us once before that there was time to turn
back if we wanted to. We've had time, haven't we?"
Old July 15th, 2010, 7:46 pm
Third Year

bah, i just don't understand! oh well, I won't be buying these. Hopefully OotP and HBP will have AWESOME extended versions to make up for this disappointment.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies