Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

Movie mistakes

Old June 18th, 2010, 8:03 pm
First Year

Re: Movie mistakes

I don't know if these have been mentioned but there were two that I spotted;

When I was younger, I got a new TV which could let you watch things in slow motion, which I thought was amazing :P So I randomly watched a bit of PS in slow motion, the bit where Harry Ron and Hermione are going down to Hagrid's hut to talk to him about Fluffy. I noticed (only when in slow motion, mind) that Emma Watson is mouthing Daniel's lines as he's speaking them! I thought that was pretty funny and strange- very Hermione like really, but still, should have been re-shot I think.

The second mistake was in the OOTP when Harry was dreaming. When he is asleep and thrashing around in his sleep he is wearing a different top to the one he then wakes up in seconds later

Sponsored Links
Old June 20th, 2010, 4:33 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrejyaAthena View Post
The second mistake was in the OOTP when Harry was dreaming. When he is asleep and thrashing around in his sleep he is wearing a different top to the one he then wakes up in seconds later
Oh you know, stranger things happen in the magical world.

And as for the "sweater on the cat" I thought it was just a lame attempt to show how funny the Weasleys are.

There is nothing wrong in being ambitious.
Old June 21st, 2010, 7:25 am
Fourth Year

My favourite error is in CoS during the dueling club you can see a cameraman amongst the students in one shot. It makes me lol.

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old June 21st, 2010, 6:54 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
My favourite error is in CoS during the dueling club you can see a cameraman amongst the students in one shot. It makes me lol.
I just bought the full-screen COS DVD from a used bin for $5; have to check that out.

Old June 22nd, 2010, 7:13 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDobster View Post
I just bought the full-screen COS DVD from a used bin for $5; have to check that out.
In that case your're not going to be able to see it. The cameraman is visable on the left edge of the widescreen frame, which no doubt has been croped out in the "full-screen" version.

EDIT: I uploaded the scene on youtube, so all can see it. I slowed it down a bit, because it originally lasts only a second.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebYIf9gthbg

Last edited by Martok; June 22nd, 2010 at 9:04 pm. Reason: Added link
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:27 pm
Sixth Year

I'm watching Sorceror's Stone right now and I just noticed this mistake in the Sorting Hat scene: When Hermione is sorted, she gets off the chair and heads to the right corner of the screen towards the Gryffindor table. When Ron is sorted mere minutes later, he heads towards the left of the screen towards Slytherin and Hufflepuff where Draco and Susan have just gone.

Let it get me down
'Cuz you're the part of me that
Makes me better wherever I go
So I will try not to cry
And no one needs to say good-bye
Farewell CosForums
Old July 3rd, 2010, 2:14 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweaselqueen View Post
I'm watching Sorceror's Stone right now and I just noticed this mistake in the Sorting Hat scene: When Hermione is sorted, she gets off the chair and heads to the right corner of the screen towards the Gryffindor table. When Ron is sorted mere minutes later, he heads towards the left of the screen towards Slytherin and Hufflepuff where Draco and Susan have just gone.
Could Hermione have been going to the right side of the Gryffindor table and Ron to the left? I haven't watched the movie for a very long time, so I don't remember what it looks like.

-eta-
Just watched the scene and it's just as I thought. Hermione goes one way around the crowd of firsties and sits next to Percy; Ron goes the other way around them and sits across from Hermione. (They were both being polite and not shoving their way directly through the unsorted kids.)

So, no movie mistake IMO.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998

Last edited by snapes_witch; July 3rd, 2010 at 9:40 am.
Old July 3rd, 2010, 6:44 am
First Year

I actually thought that was a movie mistake, but i guess not..
A movie mistake that was found was in the first movie. Harry and Ron were both coming down into the room where the Mirror of Erised was, and when they took the the Invisibility Cloak off, you could see some green.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 12:59 pm
Second Year

I reblogged something like this in my Tumblr

movie mistakes in pictures:    

Credits go to moviemistakes.com!

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 3rd, 2010, 1:03 pm
Fourth Year

Alot of those i had never noticed. they are kind of funny!

‘And now – piertotum locomotor!’ cried Professor McGonagall. And all along the corridor the statues and suits of armour jumped down from their plinths, and from the echoing crashes from the floors above and below, Harry knew that their fellows throughout the castle had done the same.
‘Hogwarts is threatened!’ shouted Professor McGonagall. ‘Man the boundaries, protect us, do your duty to our school!’
Clattering and yelling, the horde of moving statues stampeded past Harry: some of them smaller, others larger than life. There were animals too, and the clanking suits of armour brandished swords and spiked balls on chains.

Pottermore Username: HallowSkull189
Old July 3rd, 2010, 1:17 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_potter_fan View Post
Alot of those i had never noticed. they are kind of funny!
They are, lol People who take all their time to notice those stuff were probably really bored.

Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.

Book! And cleverness! There are more important things, like friendship and bravery.

Old July 12th, 2010, 3:41 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviemistakes.com
Brick wall disappears/window moves
I always assumed the first of those shots was in the front of the house and the second shot was in the back.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 1:10 am
Fourth Year

I think I can include an apparent continuity issue with DH1 without a SPOILER ALERT, can I not?

It sure seems to me, when Bellatrix is "questioning" Hermione by lying on top of her, she asks Hermione what they took from her vault at Gringotts. Hermione answers (truthfully, at that point) that they didn't take anything, and Bellatrix retorts that she doesn't believe her. Bellatrix then turns to Hermione's right arm and apparently begins carving her with both hands.

Then cut to: Bellatrix holding onto Hermione's forehead with her left hand and carving on her left arm with her right.

You be the judge--continuity error or no?

By the way, that scene? Marvellously acted by both women. Helena Bonham-Carter played the scene exactly as I imagined she might, but something about Emma Watson's choice to play it in the way she did felt very unusual to me, for some reason. I think she played it much more as a younger girl would. Hermione's eighteen by that point, and she has until then been very cool and beyond-her-years wise. Being in Bellatrix's clutches apparently utterly undid her (at least as played in the movie).

Old July 23rd, 2011, 2:06 am
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by APolaris View Post
I always assumed the first of those shots was in the front of the house and the second shot was in the back.

Yes, I think that is so. The back yard has a pergola or something.

But, honestly I think the biggest mistake i've seen, series wide, is Harry's scar moving to the wrong side of his head in PoA. Only I can think of is the frame has been flipped. Or it's a big mistake.

Last edited by ajna; July 23rd, 2011 at 2:09 am.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 4:50 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajna View Post
But, honestly I think the biggest mistake i've seen, series wide, is Harry's scar moving to the wrong side of his head in PoA. Only I can think of is the frame has been flipped. Or it's a big mistake.
It's the way the scene was shot. If you notice, at the end the camera passes through a mirror, so everything is inverted in the shot with the scar on the wrong side

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 27th, 2011, 10:32 pm
First Year

I noticed a little one the other day when my sister and I were re-watching COS. When Harry first goes to The Burrow, he's looking at the Weasley's clock that shows all their family's locations. One of the options is "Dentist," but wizards don't use dentists! Hermione always has to explain what her parents do because nobody in the wizarding world really knows.

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:23 pm
Second Year

In PS when Harry and Hagrid are Diagon Ally, you see Harry through Ollivander's window, he has the scar on his head, next scene they show Hagrid holding Hegwid inside his cage waving at Harry, then it goes back to Harry and the scar is not there anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfeathers View Post
I noticed a little one the other day when my sister and I were re-watching COS. When Harry first goes to The Burrow, he's looking at the Weasley's clock that shows all their family's locations. One of the options is "Dentist," but wizards don't use dentists! Hermione always has to explain what her parents do because nobody in the wizarding world really knows.
Bloody brilliant! You should be a detective I would've never seen this mistake ahahah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfeathers View Post
Bloody brilliant! You should be a detective I would've never seen this mistake ahahah!

Proud Gryffindor
"Tell them how it happened that night! How you looked him in the eye, a man who trusted you, and killed him!"
Old July 29th, 2011, 8:12 am
Fifth Year

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, as I haven't read right through the thread, but I noticed this in PoA when the twins ambush Harry and drag him back inside to show him the Marauders Map. Harry is invisible (because he's wearing the invisibility cloak), but if you watch the twins closely, especially when they're going inside, you can see that they're walking too closely together for Harry to fit between them. Especially most evident in the frame right before Harry takes his invisibility cloak off.
Also, if you look at their hands closely right when they grab Harry while he's in his invisbility cloak, they are relaxed, not clenched as you might expect if they'd just grabbed Potter and dragged him off to show him the Marauders Map.

This particular scene is right at the beginning of this collection of Fred and George moments from the movies if you want to see it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIlonOPDZPI

Then let my heart be hardened,
And never mind how high the cost may grow,
This will still be so:
I WILL NEVER LET YOUR PEOPLE GO.

Last edited by Marina; July 29th, 2011 at 8:14 am.
Old July 29th, 2011, 6:23 pm
Second Year

"Moony" is spelled "Mooney" on the Marauders Map.

*facepalm*

Old July 29th, 2011, 7:41 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbsalah View Post
"Moony" is spelled "Mooney" on the Marauders Map.

*facepalm*
Not a mistake. That was done to honor Karl Mooney who worked on visual effects.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies