Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Pottermore v.11

Old April 17th, 2012, 2:06 am
First Year

Re: Pottermore v.11

Oh wow, I've only got a measly 2300 points haha. I've been on quite a hiatus though and my cauldron was also confiscated for no reason.

I think a lot of Hufflepuff's problems are that some people didn't want to be in the house and stopped using Pottermore afterwards. Not to mention I think it is in a lot of Hufflepuff's nature to be more laid back and not be too concerned with winning a house cup which might never be awarded haha.

Old April 17th, 2012, 2:24 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hufflepuffchill View Post
Oh wow, I've only got a measly 2300 points haha. I've been on quite a hiatus though and my cauldron was also confiscated for no reason.

I think a lot of Hufflepuff's problems are that some people didn't want to be in the house and stopped using Pottermore afterwards. Not to mention I think it is in a lot of Hufflepuff's nature to be more laid back and not be too concerned with winning a house cup which might never be awarded haha.
I couldn't gain points for ages earlier on in Pottermore because my potion was frozen for over 3 months(and dueling was also originally down for ages...although everyone was in that boat).

Anyway, I agree. It's a well known fact that Hufflepuff is the least popular house overall and therefore there are probably a higher percentage of people sorted there who abandon their accounts(I'm sure abandonment happens in other houses too but probably not to as high of a degree).

I also agree that in general we are more laid back. LOL. I'm pretty sure my secondary house was Slytherin which might explain why I'm pretty dedicated to earning house points. Although my boyfriend actually ended up in Slytherin, the house known for ambition....I don't think he'll have as much time to earn as many house points as me though. He's too busy with other things, following other ambitions so to speak.

Old April 17th, 2012, 4:56 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanBones View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if some of the large Gryffindor/small Ravenclaw numbers don't have something to do with people trying to answer in a way that will give them a preferred house. But I don't think that people who give only extremely Ravenclaw answers are getting into Ravenclaw. My husband got sorted into Ravenclaw and most of his answers where the same as mine, and I got Gryffindor. Only one of his answers seemed Ravenclawish to me.
I just got sorted into Ravenclaw, and I really didn't think I would be. I also thought only one of my answers might be a Ravenclaw trait; the others didn't seem to fit that at all. But I bow to the Hat.

....I miss David Tennant....
Old April 17th, 2012, 5:46 am
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HedwigOwl View Post
I just got sorted into Ravenclaw, and I really didn't think I would be. I also thought only one of my answers might be a Ravenclaw trait; the others didn't seem to fit that at all. But I bow to the Hat.
I'm glad you got past that access glitch you were running into.

Your wand is identical to mine. My husband got sorted yesterday into Ravenclaw and many of his sorting answers were similar to mine... but there were some Ravenclawish variations.

Anyway, his sorting confirmed that Ravenclaw is my secondary House. I also find it interesting that you have the same wand as me and did get sorted into Ravenclaw. When I saw my wand, I thought "This wand has Slytherin written all over it." But it looks like it will work just as well for a Ravenclaw.

I hope you're happy with your sorting.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 17th, 2012, 5:57 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
I'm glad you got past that access glitch you were running into.

Your wand is identical to mine. My husband got sorted yesterday into Ravenclaw and many of his sorting answers were similar to mine... but there were some Ravenclawish variations.

Anyway, his sorting confirmed that Ravenclaw is my secondary House. I also find it interesting that you have the same wand as me and did get sorted into Ravenclaw. When I saw my wand, I thought "This wand has Slytherin written all over it." But it looks like it will work just as well for a Ravenclaw.

I hope you're happy with your sorting.
Yes, I am happy with the sorting, if a little anxious about being in the brainy house. About the wand... I thought unicorn core is the least likely to be turned to the Dark Arts. What made you think Slytherin?

Old April 17th, 2012, 6:10 am

Quote:
Yes, I am happy with the sorting, if a little anxious about being in the brainy house. About the wand... I thought unicorn core is the least likely to be turned to the Dark Arts. What made you think Slytherin?
The Maple - ambition, high-achiever, etc. - strongly suggests Slytherin. And actually, on Pottermore, unicorn seems to be the most common core in Slytherin, so it's definitely not an unusual core for Slytherin. Also, as we learn from the Slytherin prefect's letter, much of Slytherin's Dark reputation is kind of a joke that Slytherin likes to play on the other Houses. That doesn't mean that people like Riddle and Malfoy don't take the Dark reputation waaaaay too seriously. But the Dark Arts are definitely not at the center of what Slytherin is all about.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 17th, 2012, 6:15 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
The Maple - ambition, high-achiever, etc. - strongly suggests Slytherin. And actually, on Pottermore, unicorn seems to be the most common core in Slytherin, so it's definitely not an unusual core for Slytherin. Also, as we learn from the Slytherin prefect's letter, much of Slytherin's Dark reputation is kind of a joke that Slytherin likes to play on the other Houses. That doesn't mean that people like Riddle and Malfoy don't take the Dark reputation waaaaay too seriously. But the Dark Arts are definitely not at the center of what Slytherin is all about.
But if you think about the fact that Ollivander was only using 3 substances for cores -- unicorn hair, dragon heartstring, & Phoenix feather (very rare) -- there's a 50/50 chance effectively that you're going to get unicorn as a core if you attend Hogwarts & get your wand locally.

Old April 17th, 2012, 6:34 am

Quote:
But if you think about the fact that Ollivander was only using 3 substances for cores -- unicorn hair, dragon heartstring, & Phoenix feather (very rare) -- there's a 50/50 chance effectively that you're going to get unicorn as a core if you attend Hogwarts & get your wand locally.
I agree. But there's an extraordinarily high incidence of unicorn in Slytherin/Pottermore. Most of the dragon is surprisingly elsewhere - often (gasp!) in Hufflepuff. I'm just not seeing the Slytherin/dragon stereotype play out in a RL sorting context.

NOTE: These observations are based upon the Beta group. It would be interesting to see if the wand trends I observed during Beta hold true now that Pottermore is open to the public.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; April 17th, 2012 at 6:39 am.
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:26 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

Guys, let's keep the Wand discussion reserved for: Your Wand on Pottermore

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 17th, 2012, 8:59 am
Second Year

Hm, just tried to upload an artwork I did of Dumbledore a few years ago and got this message:

Quote:
Hi NoxMagic138,

While we’re pleased to see you making the most of Pottermore, you should be aware that a recent drawing you uploaded of Professor Dumbledore has been removed because it does not follow our moderation guidelines.

We encourage you to read them here Terms & Conditions.
Unfortunately, we cannot enter into correspondence regarding individual decisions.
And please ensure that in future, all of your contributions follow our site guidelines.

Thank you,

The Pottermore Team
The artwork is up on another website - is it possible this is why it wasn't published? I haven't been able to find anything mentioning restrictions on size (it wasn't that big) or file format, and it certainly didn't breach any content guidelines. Anyone else had this problem?

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:05 am
Second Year

I'm enjoying this site a lot more than I thought I would, still wish there were more to do though.

Old April 17th, 2012, 3:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorafune View Post
I'm enjoying this site a lot more than I thought I would, still wish there were more to do though.
This is really just the beginning. There will presumably be more to do when other books open.

The good news is that - aside from some weirdness (like the point fluctuations) - the site works! It is handling large volume! That's something a lot of Beta testers thought would never happen.

Based on my Beta experience, I am hoping they don't roll out anything new until it is thoroughly tested. I personally will be glad to wait.

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old April 17th, 2012, 6:51 pm
Clumsy Interrupting Cheese Toupeé & Scrambled Eggs

Finally made it into Pottermore -- as in my account being accepted. Can't log in just yet though .

RIP Uncle Bob . 1933-2016 Thanks for everything and thanks for the memories. We love you and miss you.

RIP my older cat. I'll miss you, my wonderful furry friend. RIP Anthony Bourdain.

RIP Harry Anderson, aka: Judge Stone (Night Court). Thanks for the memories.

Sad about the upcoming closing of the forums, but I won't forget you guys, thanks for the memories!

Proud fan of the TV show, The X Files and proud shipper of Mulder and Scully!!

RIP Toys R' Us. Once a Toys R' Us Kid, always one.
Old April 17th, 2012, 7:40 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Is phoenix feather the rarest of the 3 cores? My sister ended up with phoenix feather(and she is a Ravenclaw too like you by the way).

On another note I continue to be surprised by just how many people Gryffindor now has....they have nearly 30,000 more people than Ravenclaw and over 10,000 more people than Slytherin(and Slytherin has the 2nd highest number of people right now) but Gryffindor is way above even them in number of students.

Old April 17th, 2012, 8:55 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post
Is phoenix feather the rarest of the 3 cores? My sister ended up with phoenix feather(and she is a Ravenclaw too like you by the way).

On another note I continue to be surprised by just how many people Gryffindor now has....they have nearly 30,000 more people than Ravenclaw and over 10,000 more people than Slytherin(and Slytherin has the 2nd highest number of people right now) but Gryffindor is way above even them in number of students.
I've got a phoenix feather in my wand. I didn't know it was any rarer than the other two. I figured they were split up pretty evenly like the houses.

Old April 18th, 2012, 6:29 am
Third Year

Okay I just went into the Great Hall....and it honestly said that Hufflepuff has 0 points. ZERO.....in the overall house cup.

What in the....

Old April 18th, 2012, 8:26 am
First Year

Having problems with registering............. no activation email at all, even tried getting a reminder of my user name.......... still no email......... nothing........... zilch!

Old April 18th, 2012, 9:03 am
Embroidered by imaginatio

I am sure it will work later on Rayven, don't panic.

Kathleen Malfoy, it was just a glitch. All points are back.

Be reminded: chatting can be done in the Pitchside thread. Let's make the discussion constructive here.

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 18th, 2012, 4:36 pm
Seventh Year

My dueling is down. I get the message that "this page has vanished."

I reported it. Their response?

"Thank you for your message.

I hope that you accept that we must treat all users of Pottermore the same. I have reviewed the problems you are encountering and can confirm that there are no issues with the website functionality - the answer is there and you will just have to keep trying.

As an alternative, please refer to the Help section or alternatively you may want to raise the issue you're having with the Pottermore community.

Good luck!

Kind regards,"

I really expected it to be signed,

"Hoping you are well! Mafalda Hopkirk"

I reported it again.

When I'm 80 years old and sitting in my rocking chair, I'll be reading Harry Potter.
My family will say to me, “After all this time?
And I will say, “Always.
- source unknown
Old April 18th, 2012, 6:20 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Malfoy View Post

Not sure if this should be answered here or over on Pitchside, but phoenix is lore-wise the rarest of the 3 cores (and the wand quiz is designed to try to make it that way) but randomly surveying a large sample of people shows that dragon is slightly rarer for Pottermore users. Probably not statistically significant, but the Pottermore distribution didn't work out like the beta team hoped.

BronzeDragon111 on Pottermore
BronzeDragon on COS, HPANA, and tumblr
Wand: Elder with dragon heartstring, 13'', hard
Ravenclaw on both COS and Pottermore!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References