Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Old December 10th, 2010, 8:30 pm
Banned

Re: Severus Snape: Character Analysis Reboot v.3

Quote:
=ccollinsmith;5667223]
I agree with suggestions upthread that Snape's reaction to Petunia's insult is not borne exclusively out of prejudice against Muggles, but largely out of experience with Muggles. The Malfoys are prejudiced. They don't know Muggles. They don't care to know Muggles. They have their preconceived notions of what Muggles are, and they engage in blood prejudice without any reference point.

Little Severus, on the other hand, is the child of a Muggle. He lives in a run-down Muggle neighborhood. He interacts with Muggles on a regular basis. And it is on the basis of that interaction that he has no interest in Muggles. That does not mean that 9-year-old Severus wants to enslave them. It appears to me that he simply wants to escape them - and, imo, with good cause, based on what we see of his experience with Muggles like his father and Petunia.
I think this might be supposition. There is no canon supporting the theory that Snape interacted with Muggles on a regular basis. On the contrary the likihood is that he does not. I cannot see Eileen sending her son to a Muggle school and I think she probably homeschooled him. The fact that he was strangely dressed by Muggle standards, I think bears this out. Any child attending a Muggle school would very quickly have known that his clothes were considered strange and probably have refused to wear them. I can quite easily see Eileen not interacting with her nieghbours and home schooling her son. It is more than possible to live in a neighbourhood and not know your nieghbours. Ask yourself this, what is my neighbours 3 doors down first names, where do they work, what religion are they? If you find these everyday facts difficult to answer then it should not be difficult to imagine Eileen and Snape being isolated in the neighbourhood where they lived. Add to that the fact that as Magical people they would not want to mix with their neighbours.

Quote:
The Wizarding World in general thinks Muggles are inferior. That is not just a Slytherin thing. And I honestly don't find Snape's childhood comments about Muggles to be any more horrendous than Hagrid's (on how awful it is that Harry has to go off and live with the Muggles) or McGonnagall's (about how Muggles are not entirely stupid).
This is quite true. The WW chose segregation voluntarily and up to the 20th Century they probably did see themselves as superior. They are to quite an extent ignorant of the technological advances made and of course technology does not mix well with magical power. To a certain extent they were correct about the ability of Muggles to live comfortably until the advent of the 20th Century. The technological advances shrank the gap between the worlds but Wizards by and large don't appreciate this. A few like Arthur are beginning to understand but I think the WW in general don't want to believe that their society is falling behind the Muggles. This I think, plays a big way into the mindset of PureBlood bigotry. They are PureBlood Wizards, well in Snape's case HalfBlood and they dont want to think that Muggles who have no magical power can be better off than they are materially. Petunia with her appliances probably spends less time on housework than Molly with her magic. So we have a WW that is rapidlly being left behind in technology and Wizards who are having a hard time adjusting and would rather see Muggles and Muggleborns as inferiors than deal with it. I think it is this defensive stance that drives so much of thePureBlood agenda. While I do think that Snape did not spend a lot of time with Muggles, except for the time he spent with Lily, he would not be able to ignore the strides made in the Muggle world as far as technology goes.

I keep remembering when I lived in the Southern United States in the 70's. I met so many people who simply would not acknowledge that the status quo in racial relations had changed. I see this blinkered outlook a lot in Slytherin House. They simply do not want to admit that Muggleborns are their equals in magical ability. Even the ones who are not interested in Voldemort's power quest to a certain extent believe that they are superior. Snape falls into this category, IMO. Couple that with his fascination with the Dark Arts and you have the recipe for a Death Eater wanna-be, That is exactly what Lily says to him and he does not try to dissuade her.

Last edited by eliza101; December 10th, 2010 at 8:42 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2010, 8:38 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
Boushh picked the terminology. I was responding to that post.
Okay.

Quote:
What is gained needs to be measured against what is lost. I don't know that it was a good idea to put someone who needed to appear to be a good Death Eater at the helm of Slytherin, and I also question the need for Snape to have to appear as a good Death Eater when he is supposed to be undercover and should be expected to act less like a Death Eater when at Hogwarts.
Dumbledore put Snape in charge of Slytherin. So that point seems more an issue for one of the Dumbledore threads.

As for Riddle and Slytherin Purebloodism... I don't think that has much at all to do with Snape. We're talking about House characteristics that Voldemort would have expected to be maintained because he feels very strongly about his personal heritage as direct heir of Salazar Slytherin, the Wizard who introduced Purebloodism into the House.

If Snape had tried to interfere with something that meant that much to Voldemort (i.e., his own family heritage), it would not have been helpful, imo, for Snape's ability to infiltrate Voldemort's organization. I don't expect that Voldemort would have been particularly rational about it.

Quote:
I think my observation holds though that the people in Slytherin-- and that includes Head of House Snape--could do more about what their House stood for than the people outside of it.
I respectfully disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101
There is no canon supporting the theory that Snape interacted with Muggles on a regular basis. On the contrary the likihood is that he does not.
Well, unless he did not live in his parents home, there is strong canon to suggest that he interacted with Muggles on a regular basis. His father, after all, was a Muggle. Anyway, I figured that Tobias was an absolute... along with the fact that he lived in a Muggle neighborhood and so was likely to run into Muggles in the neighborhood. As for his clothes, I just think the Snape family was impoverished enough that Eileen couldn't afford anything better.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!

Last edited by ccollinsmith; December 10th, 2010 at 8:44 pm.
Old December 10th, 2010, 8:45 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccollinsmith View Post
Well, unless he did not live in his parents home, there is strong canon to suggest that he interacted with Muggles on a regular basis. His father, after all, was a Muggle.
Who, when he was not shouting at his mother appears to have ignored him. It is also quite possible to live in a home where you have very little to do with another person in it.

Old December 10th, 2010, 8:55 pm
Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
Who, when he was not shouting at his mother appears to have ignored him. It is also quite possible to live in a home where you have very little to do with another person in it.
I don't disagree. But this actually is part of my point. I think that Snape's perspective regarding Muggles comes largely from the Muggles that he comes in contact with on a daily basis: first and foremost his own father, a man apparently so abusive that Eileen - a witch! - cowers before him. If that's what he largely sees of Muggles, then I don't think it's any wonder that he doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

But this is based on experience. Not Wizarding politics. If Eileen were a blood purist, I don't think she would have married a Muggle in the first place.

I don't think little Severus got his attitude toward Muggles from his mother. I think he got it from observing his father, and quite possibly other Muggles in Spinner's End.

Hogsmeade Awards 2013: Voted #1 - Biggest Cat Lover | Voted #2 - Most Creative Member |
Voted #2 - Most Likely to Make a Doctor Who Reference

VIVA LA GLITTELUTION!
Old December 10th, 2010, 9:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Muggles apparently knew about Severus. Upon meeting him for the first time, Muggle Petunia contemptuously calls him that Snape boy who lives on Spinner's End down by the river. I wonder if that means he goes to a Muggle school? With a Muggle father I don't see how he could avoid it . . .

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Second Year

I fully disagree with the notion that condescenscion towards a group of people, and a belief that they are less than human, is a learned behavior. If he hated them, he'd just hate them. Deciding that they are worthy of ridicule and harassment is not something a 9-year old just comes up with.

Old December 10th, 2010, 10:22 pm
Banned

Quote:
I don't disagree. But this actually is part of my point. I think that Snape's perspective regarding Muggles comes largely from the Muggles that he comes in contact with on a daily basis: first and foremost his own father, a man apparently so abusive that Eileen - a witch! - cowers before him. If that's what he largely sees of Muggles, then I don't think it's any wonder that he doesn't want to have anything to do with them.

But this is based on experience. Not Wizarding politics. If Eileen were a blood purist, I don't think she would have married a Muggle in the first place.

I don't think little Severus got his attitude toward Muggles from his mother. I think he got it from observing his father, and quite possibly other Muggles in Spinner's End.
This is kind of what makes analysing this part of Snape's life so difficult. We are shown so little of what happened in that house. Two small snippet's are all we see. Snape's words under the trees can be interpreted several ways. What does he say in retrospect? That things are much the same and his father does not like much of anything. It very difficult to judge as sometimes things are not even how someone who lives in a household sees them. He doesn't know the depths of his parents feelings for each other and neither do we. I am always reluctant to judge someone as harshly as Tobias gets judged because we never hear his voice. It's difficult for me just to condemn him. It's often said here on the thread that Snape is the victim of his father's harshness, this leads me to ask who was Tobias the victim of? We don't don't even know enough about Eileen's feelings toward Muggles to speculate on her marriage to Tobias. Was she so in love with him that she ignored any prejudices that she had and married him, only to find them coming back after the marriage? Did she marry him without prejudice and find herself hating him so much that prejudices were created where there were none? There are questions and the text does not explore them because Snape's childhood story is not the story in the book

Quote:
SnapesWitch: Muggles apparently knew about Severus. Upon meeting him for the first time, Muggle Petunia contemptuously calls him that Snape boy who lives on Spinner's End down by the river. I wonder if that means he goes to a Muggle school? With a Muggle father I don't see how he could avoid it . . .
Home schooling has happened in the UK for many years. In the upper classes it was usually done by tutors/governesses. In the working classes it is usually done by a parent. The child has to take the State exams but it is far from unknown. Molly home schooled all her children. If Snape was home schooled as I think more than likely that does not make him a prisoner in his home. He would have had to go out some time. Petunia's comment makes me think that he did not mix with other children at all.

Last edited by eliza101; December 10th, 2010 at 10:30 pm.
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:10 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

About what Slytherin House and Snape could have done about their reputation... I don't think they could have done much with the children of active DEs in the house, since those students were so prominent. I think it's up to the other houses to also give Slytherin a chance as much as it is up to the Slytherins to show they aren't all DEs. I personally feel that after Voldemort's downfall there was more of a chance for improvement, and Harry's attitude in the epilogue is just one person outside of Slytherin taking steps towards mending the relationship between the houses. Hopefully there were more.

As for my "good guys" "bad guys" terminology, I was looking at it as Gryffindors and Harry during the majority of the series viewed themselves and Slytherin. I most definitely agree with CCS that Snape was one of the good guys and Harry realized it shortly before the end of the series. Harry goes through a change in PoV by the end of the series about Slytherin and Snape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giftedkid527 View Post
I fully disagree with the notion that condescenscion towards a group of people, and a belief that they are less than human, is a learned behavior. If he hated them, he'd just hate them. Deciding that they are worthy of ridicule and harassment is not something a 9-year old just comes up with.
I most definitely think it is a learned behavior in Snape's case. I don't think he was born thinking Wizards were superior to Muggles. At most he seemed to be dismissive of them, IMO. I think Severus was more the subject of ridicule and harassment at that age rather than the other way around.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:21 pm
First Year

[quote=eliza101;5666713]Every Dark Wizard but one came out of Slytherin House. That means that something about the psychological make up of some Slytherin found Voldemort's propaganda appealing. It cannot be ignored, nor explained away but it does have to be borne in mind that not all Slytherin joined Voldemort. But when 99.99% of as evil an organisation as the Death Eaters come from the same pool of the population that unfortunately says something about that pool. I myself think that the preoccupation of Slytherin House with the fallacy of Blood Status contributed. This created an atmosphere of bigotry and it was something that obviously appealed to Snape[/QUOTE

to an extent, i agree but when it comes to snape and his choices, i definitely disagree, if you look at a young snape and a young draco malfoy, on the train on there first day, they both expressed freely their desire to be in slytherin , draco instantly was ignorantly snobbish and mean implying that his draw to slytherin was about blood, where as, snape obliviously and rather innocently thought that it was for those who are ''brainy'' and considering he was sitting with lily , its clear that a young snape was drawn to slytherin for other reasons. not for racist acts of prejudice as many people seem to think. and IMO, not all bad wizards spring from slytherin, wormtail was essentially sorted into gryffindor, the house known for being heroic and good and as we all know , wormtail was none of those things. I think dumbledore is right when he said that '' we sort too soon'' as it doesn't seem fair to judge or decide on a persons character when they are just a child.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:27 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boushh View Post
About what Slytherin House and Snape could have done about their reputation... I don't think they could have done much with the children of active DEs in the house, since those students were so prominent. I think it's up to the other houses to also give Slytherin a chance as much as it is up to the Slytherins to show they aren't all DEs. I personally feel that after Voldemort's downfall there was more of a chance for improvement, and Harry's attitude in the epilogue is just one person outside of Slytherin taking steps towards mending the relationship between the houses. Hopefully there were more.

As for my "good guys" "bad guys" terminology, I was looking at it as Gryffindors and Harry during the majority of the series viewed themselves and Slytherin. I most definitely agree with CCS that Snape was one of the good guys and Harry realized it shortly before the end of the series. Harry goes through a change in PoV by the end of the series about Slytherin and Snape.

I most definitely think it is a learned behavior in Snape's case. I don't think he was born thinking Wizards were superior to Muggles. At most he seemed to be dismissive of them, IMO. I think Severus was more the subject of ridicule and harassment at that age rather than the other way around.
These are interesting points. What cannot be denied is that 19 years later Slytherin House still has a bad reputation. Now I am going to sound like a total good side fan here, but I don't think I am. What I am going to say is that with the leadership shown by Harry and Kingsley there would not have been a backlash against Slytherin. Slughorn personally battled Voldemort in front of the WW and other Slytherin returned and fought for the WW against the Death Eaters. So if Slytherin House still had a bad reputation I have to feel that it is something that they have not really addressed in their relations with the other Houses at Hogwarts. I really love Slughorn, I love all his little quirks and fiobles but I don't think that after the Battle he would have been the best one to lead Slytherin in ridding themselves of their bad reputation. I don't know who would have been but I don't think Snape would have been able to do it even if he survived. I think it will be a job for the future Slytherins. Perhaps 19 years is not really long enough.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:33 pm
Assistant to Professor Snape

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza101 View Post
If Snape was home schooled as I think more than likely that does not make him a prisoner in his home. He would have had to go out some time. Petunia's comment makes me think that he did not mix with other children at all.
I agree, I don't think Severus would have mixed with the Muggle children of Spinner's End. In fact I would be very surprised if they would have had anything to do with him the way he was dressed. Afterall children can be very cruel to those who look different. I think it is very likely that he was ridiculed by the other children for his appearance, whilst he was wandering alone around the neighbourhood.

Old December 10th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Absolutely. Not to mention his interactions with his father and other Muggles in Spinner's End. Even if he was homeschooled, he and his mother most likely weren't locked in a closet when Tobias wasn't home. Even Harry got to go outside while he was growing up at the Dursleys' -- surely young Severus went outside! We know he did it often enough to have seen Lily and known she was a witch...

Quote:
Children most certainly learn their attitudes toward others. It is not inborn. No one, not even wizarding people, are born hating another group of people -- a child has to learn that from their parents and their peers.

The ridicule and harassment comes from observation -- it is seen as the way to relate to this other group, it is seen to be accepted by the group the child is in or desires to be in, and so the child begins to participate in the ridicule and harassment. Eventually (unless something intervenes to change this attitude and behavior) it becomes part of the child's persona, and there you have another little bigot running around loose.

Staunch Defender of Severus Snape
Proud Member of House Slytherin

LightMahogany27 -- Slytherin
Redwood wand with unicorn hair core
10 3/4 inches, unyielding

Check out my fanfiction, in collaboration with Sinistra_Furze: A Trip To Remember

Snape lives IMHO
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:38 pm
Professor Snape's Most Favored House Elf

Quote:
I agree with suggestions upthread that Snape's reaction to Petunia's insult is not borne exclusively out of prejudice against Muggles, but largely out of experience with Muggles. The Malfoys are prejudiced. They don't know Muggles. They don't care to know Muggles. They have their preconceived notions of what Muggles are, and they engage in blood prejudice without any reference point.
While we don't see Severus' day-to-day activities with Muggles, the fact that his father is a Muggle, that he lives in a Muggle neighborhood -- where he seems to travel about frequently, since he evidentally saw Lily several times before actually getting acquainted with her -- I don't think it is a stretch to consider that he had a good bit of interaction with Muggles. It is canon, however, that at least two of the Muggles he interacted with as a child, his father and Petunia, were negative experiences.

I think the way you put it, that his reaction to Muggles is not prejudice, which is an unfounded dislike for a certain group, but, it is based on the bad experiences he's had with Muggles, is on target. Even if the only ones he ever interacted with were Lily, his father, and Petunia, two of those three would not have given him a very positive view of Muggles in general.

Quote:
Little Severus, on the other hand, is the child of a Muggle. He lives in a run-down Muggle neighborhood. He interacts with Muggles on a regular basis. And it is on the basis of that interaction that he has no interest in Muggles. That does not mean that 9-year-old Severus wants to enslave them. It appears to me that he simply wants to escape them - and, imo, with good cause, based on what we see of his experience with Muggles like his father and Petunia.
I agree. I think one of the reasons he is so anxious to go to Hogwarts is to get away from Muggles. I like the way you've explained all of this. This is the way I percieve Severus, as a young boy whose attitudes towards Muggles have been shaped by his experiences, not by blood supremacy or prejudice.

Quote:
The Wizarding World in general thinks Muggles are inferior. That is not just a Slytherin thing. And I honestly don't find Snape's childhood comments about Muggles to be any more horrendous than Hagrid's (on how awful it is that Harry has to go off and live with the Muggles) or McGonnagall's (about how Muggles are not entirely stupid).
We see this over and over again, IMO. There are Muggle "put-downs" sprinkled all through the series from both "good guys" and "bad guys." They are too numerous to quote all of the, but, one of Hagrid's first insults to Vernon Dursley is to ask what a "great Muggle" like him is going to do about Harry going to Hogwarts. IMO, Hagrid was using the term "Muggle" to show Dursley's inferiority to magic folk.

As to the constant downing of Slytherin House: that's where the Sorting Hat wanted to put Harry Potter. It even tried to persuade him that it would be good for him. It was only Harry's requesting over and over to not be in Slytherin that seemed to stop it. So, he must have had enough Slytherin traits to almost be sorted there. But, that's for a different thread.

I held you in my arms, although I knew that death
Had already taken you. I held you close, hoping for a faint heartbeat or breath
To prove me wrong.
But, you were still, and could not hear or see
My grief, my tears, my heartbreak knowing that the rest of my life would be
Spent without you.
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:58 pm
Second Year

This came into my head looking at a member's signature about Snape being headmaster at Hogwarts. I imagine that position must have hurt him so much because it was assigned to him not due to his intelligence or valour, but because it was useful to Voldemort at the time. Nothing more. And he went to school at Hogwarts and spent the (relatively) most peaceful years of his adult life there, he must have fond memories of the place. However bitter he is, how could he not love a Christmas feast at Hogwarts, a cozy tea in the staff room, the memory of Lily's smile around the corner to the Gryffindor entrance painting... And there he was, put in place by Voldemort, only to help bring everything down. A position, spat at him like an insult.

It's like James Norrington in Pirates of the Caribbean becoming an admiral without the distinction, only much worse.

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:03 am
First Year

i've been reading the books again, and although all the deaths effect me, dobby especially and fred...after 3 years, and interviews from jk rowling about the future, you learn to sort of, not cry as much?... but for some reason, i become a mess whenever reading snape's scenes in the deathly hallows, I think its because his life was so tragic there was no closure, we - the reader didn't get to see the reactions of the wizarding world, aside from the epilogue, we had none of the ''17 year old harry's '' thoughts on snape. i think it would have been interesting to see this, but then again I think jk rowling never wrote it because it created a more powerful effect not to.

i have some questions that i would like to ask jk about snape, or other harry potter fans

. do you think dumbledore cared for snape or did he simply use him as a pawn in his game for the ''greater good''. i mean its clear that snape respected and cared for him, what bothers me is the elder wand, dumbledore knew voldemort would go looking for it, so essentially, did dumbledore forsee snapes death?

and realistically, if harry and snape's portrait were to have a convo, how do you think that would go down?

&& say harry took off his invisibility cloak before the battle of hogwarts and snape saw him, what would have happened? how would snape have broke the news to him of his fate? i know snape isn't exactly a cuddily character but i refuse to believe that he would be cold or in any way harsh to harry, what do you think?

Old December 11th, 2010, 12:40 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Acknowledging that purebloods and other wizards who have no contact with the Muggle world homeschool their children, is it possible for little Sev living in that Muggle world to be home schooled? Although homeschooling is fairly common now in the US, I think it was very rare in the late 60s, early 70s when Sev would have been. What about England?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
Old December 11th, 2010, 1:15 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Acknowledging that purebloods and other wizards who have no contact with the Muggle world homeschool their children, is it possible for little Sev living in that Muggle world to be home schooled? Although homeschooling is fairly common now in the US, I think it was very rare in the late 60s, early 70s when Sev would have been. What about England?
It would all depend on the part of England. It's mentioned above that Snape would have met other children while roaming the neighbourhood. There are two points to be made here. The neighbourhood was run-down and it seems to be in an older neighbourhood. This would mean that the families with younger children would have moved away . The most common reason for moving was that the mills were closing down and that meant no work = families moving away = no young children, no young children = equals schools closing. These scenarios were enacted in the UK in the 70's. Home schooling is not that difficult to imagine in these circumstances. It is happening right now in the Outer Hebrides where there is a big problem with low population of school age children. But we can look closer than the Muggle population, we can look at the WW population. Rowling has stated that that Home schooling was more or less the norm for the WW population, So bearing all these things in mind I would think the probability of Home Schooling for Snape was much more than likely. If there are no children in the neighbourhood, (and how many are in the playground with Lily and Petunia?) then there are not that many around to provide the hypothetical teasing of Snape. Think about the words Petunia says,
'That Snape boy.'
Does that really sound like a child's phrase? It's more likely that Petunia overheard an adult say it.
So what I'm saying is that there is no real hard evidence that Snape was teased by neighbourhood children for the simple fact, we see no neighbourhood children. There is no real hard evidence that Snape was teased at school, because the chances are he was home schooled as is the norm in the WW. Now I rather doubt that Snape, Lily and Petunia were the only children in that town, but there does seem to be a dearth in every single one of the memories we see.
Speculation is fun, but I am not inclined to say that Snape's childhood was hell on Earth because he became a Death Eater in his youth. He probably had a very lonely childhood and he was lumbered with parents who argued, and a father who seems at first glance intimidating to say the least. But all we get is a glimpse, so perhaps it better not to construct this hell on Earth when the evidence does not really support it. Being a lonely child with bad parents does not always equal enlisting in an orginisation dedicated to torture and murder. There were other reasons for Snape becoming a Death Eater besides having a lonely childhood.

Old December 11th, 2010, 2:01 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkywoo View Post
&& say harry took off his invisibility cloak before the battle of hogwarts and snape saw him, what would have happened? how would snape have broke the news to him of his fate? i know snape isn't exactly a cuddily character but i refuse to believe that he would be cold or in any way harsh to harry, what do you think?
Why do you say this? Snape didn't change in the 7th book, the only thing that changed was Harry's opinion of him. Snape would've been just as cold and harsh as he always was, IMO.

Old December 11th, 2010, 2:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Why do you say this? Snape didn't change in the 7th book, the only thing that changed was Harry's opinion of him. Snape would've been just as cold and harsh as he always was, IMO.
No, Snape didn't change in DH; he'd been protecting Harry the entire time Harry was at Hogwarts.

If you'll recall, Snape had practically been begging Voldemort to be allowed to go get Harry. IMO it wasn't, as might have been supposed, that he wanted to deliver Harry to Voldemort, rather he had DD's message to deliver to Harry: Harry must die in order to defeat Voldemort.

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

Last edited by snapes_witch; December 11th, 2010 at 2:24 am.
Old December 11th, 2010, 2:18 am
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkywoo View Post
i have some questions that i would like to ask jk about snape, or other harry potter fans

. do you think dumbledore cared for snape or did he simply use him as a pawn in his game for the ''greater good''. i mean its clear that snape respected and cared for him, what bothers me is the elder wand, dumbledore knew voldemort would go looking for it, so essentially, did dumbledore forsee snapes death?
You can discuss Snape and Dumbledore's relationship on the following thread:

Snape and Dumbledore: Joint Character Analysis

avatar artwork by Ruth Sanderson

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References