Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies

What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Old August 11th, 2007, 12:25 am
First Year

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
Explain what? They broke up in the book. They broke up in the film.
well yeah, but in the movie ( version ), Harry found out that Cho wasn't to blame after all since she was under the veritaserum potion so it would have been kind of logical to have seen Harry apologize and Harry and Cho making up and reconciling or something....so I thought that part was kind of screwed up and it gave the impression that there wasn't any closure to it...to their argument/relationship that is.

Sponsored Links
Old August 11th, 2007, 12:27 am
Banned

Re: What do you have to explain to your friends and family who only see the movies?

That's true.

I also had to explain where Fred and George went after OOTP. But that was kinda fun to do. The look on my dad's face was classic.

Old August 11th, 2007, 6:16 am
First Year

My brother asks me to explain almost everything, he wanted me to explain about Sirius' family tree, the movie did a very bad job of explaining it.
My one problem is that i try and explain something and i have to explain everything else, he didn't even know who tonks was, when i told him she was the person that could change shape he replied 'you mean Magonnagal' (i cant spel wel) the past three movies have done terrible jobs of explaining things, i wouldn't have understood half of it if i hadn't read the books

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:19 pm
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalf_Shaw View Post
I had to explain who Lupin was in the films. They knew he was a friend of Harry's parents, but wondered why he had such a small role in the next few movies or why he was there at all. I agreed with them, his prescence should be stronger.
Why? Rowling does next to nothing with this minor character in the last two books.
Also, if either Hallows or Prince does anything with Lupin, then he'll have to be re-introduced in the film. Order made the mistake of never introducing him, and Lupin was just a face in the background. Of course, even if Order had introduced Lupin, then Prince and Hallows would be in the same position: Prisoner's heavy use of Lupin did not leave audiences with any memory of him three years later!
Quote:
Don't you remember the loads and loads of threads insisting that Sirius wasn't really dead, and that he would come back from behind the veil in some unexplained way?

Many readers were confused about Sirius's death.
Indeed, the Chicago Tribune has run a series of blogs since Hallows came out with reader questions, especially those that the were not "answered" in the series. Several people have posted that Rowling never explained what happend to Sirius.

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!
Old August 11th, 2007, 11:27 pm
Banned

I did have to explain what the heck that veil-thing was.

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:28 pm
First Year

I think the main problem I'm seeing in this thread is people giving really crappy explanations that just confuse people and then they blame the confusion on the movie.

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:30 pm
Banned

Not really.

The reason I have to explain these things to my dad is because he can't read the books even if he wanted to. He has a learning disability with reading. But that's why he's got me. :smile:

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:31 pm
First Year

I wasn't talking about everybody.

Old August 11th, 2007, 11:45 pm
Third Year

There were a few things my friends didn't get in the OOTP movie that I had to explain. That was one problem I had with this movie, I think it's biggest criticism is that it explains many things poorly.

For example, Occlumency and the whole dream sequence. My friends who hadn't read the book never really got that Lord Voldermort was inside the snake that attacked Mr. Weasley, because the movie didn't explain it very well. Also, they didn't quite get what Occlumency was. That whole sequence was a bit rushed I though.

Also, one person wanted to know what happened to Nevile's parents. In the movie Nevile just says they were tortured, but he doesn't explain that they lost their minds, so to moviegoers it was a bit confusing. I had to explain to him about how Nevile's parents were insane.

One big one was the prophecy. They didn't really know what the purpose of it was and why Voldermort was after it. Since the audience only heard bits of the full prophecy, it's meaning wasn't quite as clear as in the books.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&i tem=170269184909

YOU'RE GOING TO END UP LIVING OFF A STEADY DIET OF GOVERNMENT IMPORTED CHEESE, AND LIVING IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!

Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.
Old August 12th, 2007, 4:38 am
Fourth Year

I have to explain EVERYTHING- not just because my family/friends haven't read the books. One of them does, but she doesn't really reread and therefore forgets stuff. Also none of them really rewatch the movies so they forget stuff from there too.

Old August 12th, 2007, 4:44 am
Dr Mrs The Monarch

OoTP was the first HP movie I saw with my husband that he didn't have any questions about what was going.(Of course this could be because I talk about HP all the time anyway. )

Old August 12th, 2007, 4:45 am
Second Year

you have to explain EVERYTHING.
the movies don't mean anything unless you read the books.
Because when you have read the books, you can put the missing information in without thinking.

Old August 12th, 2007, 5:14 am
Curse Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis_Black View Post
I did have to explain what the heck that veil-thing was.
That is another one that came up a lot on the Tribune: many people think that this is a big unanswered question! I think that it also has been listed as an unanswered question in threads at this site. So, a lot of book-readers feel the same way. It also begs the question: did you provide the right explanation?

(Personally, I thought that it was obvious, but the old "Beyond the Veil" allusion is an old one to me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by somerandom592 View Post
you have to explain EVERYTHING.
the movies don't mean anything unless you read the books.
Because when you have read the books, you can put the missing information in without thinking.
This is patently untrue. The last three movies have been very popular among and very well appreciated by non-book readers. Remember, most of the people who see the films do not care about the things that people here see fit to explain!

Indeed, the things that I have had people ask are questions that people ask of the books, such as how Harry could have lived to travel backwards in time given that he needed to survive to go back and save himself: an inherent contradiction!

If in the first act you have hung a pistol on the wall, then in the following one it should be fired. Otherwise don't put it there. - A. P. Chekhov, Gurlyand's Reminiscences, and who knew why the Dog was long before the Shack!

Last edited by Wimsey; August 12th, 2007 at 5:30 am.
Old August 12th, 2007, 6:43 pm
Second Year

With the first two films my parents pretty much understood it, but they were totally confused in PoA when they went back in time, in GoF I had to explain the whole cemetry thing and in OotP I had to explain the prophecy and harry seeing in voldemorts mind a lot of times lol. On all of thee occasions its the main scenes in the books and i think they should get them across better.

Old August 12th, 2007, 6:46 pm
First Year

I just try not to watch the movies with someone who hasn't read the books. Because I get all frustrated with having to answer the simplest of questions, when they would've known what's going on if they just picked up a flipping book and read.

Old August 14th, 2007, 1:54 am
First Year

I had to explain to my dad that Voldemort was the bald guy, not Lucious, lol. I thought it was pretty obvious who was evil, but I think he fell asleep a couple of times, lol.

RIP Fred.

Old August 17th, 2007, 5:40 am
Second Year

Lol - I went to see OoTP with a friend in Singapore, and I didn't realise how little she knew about the series until she asked me "who was that weird-looking guy at the end? The one with no nose?" "That's VOLDEMORT!!! He's the bad guy!"

Proud to be a Ravenclaw!
Old August 19th, 2007, 6:17 pm
P.A. to Lucius Malfoy

I had to explain that Snape was a spy working for Dumbledore in Ootp. They left the part out where Dumbledore asks Snape to start spying again in Goblet Of Fire.

Lol I had to explain Voldermolt was the big bad villian not Lucius as well.

Old August 19th, 2007, 6:20 pm
Fifth Year

That YES Ginny does fancy Harry! Honestly! My family are really slow!

"The tank is empty let it dry,
I'm suffering.
A passion ending,
So the world ceases turning."
Old August 19th, 2007, 6:30 pm
Fourth Year

I think the only thing I had to explain was why Ron was mad at Harry in GOF....and why Hermione was mad at Ron...lol...my friend didn't get it. I'm like...ummmm are you serious? Everything else they pretty much got..they don't ask about certain things because they don't notice anything missing in the first place.

I mean I've asked them...did you understand everything? THey usually say yes which is awesome. One of my friends actually...who is a movie only fan because he doesn't read...has his on theories and everything based off the movies lol. (Although someone let slip what happens to Dumbledore in the next one which made him upset...especially since Snape is his favorite character)

I mean it's amazing but from the movies alone he has some REALLY accurate theories...which shows how delicate the filmaker have been to the core of the story. He did say OOTP felt like it was missing something..and I told him about the whole Quidditch thing...but other than that :P

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Harry Potter > Muggle Studies