Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner

Picturing certain people as the characters in your story...I can't be the only one?!

Old September 11th, 2012, 5:40 am
First Year

Picturing certain people as the characters in your story...I can't be the only one?!

When I write as a character, I find it difficult to picture a new person that I've never seen before. It's just not possible. What I'll do while writing, is look over the characteristics of my characters and Google celebrities, seeing who is the most similar to that specific character. This way, I can really see my story in my head...like a movie. I found that one of my characters reminds me a lot of one of my favorite actors, and I did this without meaning to? Doesn't this happen to anyone else? Haha, I can't help but think of how cool it'd be if my novel was one day turned into a movie and these actors starred in it. My life would be complete.
A girl can dream!

p.s) I really appreciate all of your comments on previous threads! they've given me perspective and inspiration...love my fellow writers and potterheads!!!

Old September 11th, 2012, 12:56 pm
Registered Animagus

Re: Picturing certain people as the characters in your story...I can't be the only on

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmasterofdeathB View Post
When I write as a character, I find it difficult to picture a new person that I've never seen before. It's just not possible. What I'll do while writing, is look over the characteristics of my characters and Google celebrities, seeing who is the most similar to that specific character. This way, I can really see my story in my head...like a movie. I found that one of my characters reminds me a lot of one of my favorite actors, and I did this without meaning to? Doesn't this happen to anyone else? Haha, I can't help but think of how cool it'd be if my novel was one day turned into a movie and these actors starred in it. My life would be complete.
A girl can dream!

p.s) I really appreciate all of your comments on previous threads! they've given me perspective and inspiration...love my fellow writers and potterheads!!!
Sounds like it works well for you.

I can picture hair, eyes, height, weight, clothes, etc., but I can never picture faces. Could be one of my many character flaws.

Old September 11th, 2012, 6:59 pm
Secret Chocolate Keeper

Re: Picturing certain people as the characters in your story...I can't be the only on

I always do it, both for my own characters and for characters in other people's works.

I usually imagine an actor/actress that I know of. It helps.

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:27 pm
Third Year

I'm able to imagine a character, the way they look and stuff, but the image is never really clear, you know? I think celebrities help to make the image of the character more solid.
If I watch the movie before I read the book (like I did for the first Harry Potter movie) than the actors that acted in the movie are the way I picture the characters to look like.

Old September 15th, 2012, 12:12 am
First Year

Yes, exactly! Like I can picture hair color and body shapes, but just not how they really look...I love finding actors who resemble my characters and would play the part well! I saw a few HP movies before reading the book, but not the 5th...Luna turned out to be exactly how I pictured her!!!

Old September 15th, 2012, 4:38 am
Second Year

I can't really write my characters consistently unless I physically make a character profile to go by.

Picturing them physically is no problem at all, even their mannerisms are in my head, but translating it to paper is another issue.

I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Writer's Corner