Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives

The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Old April 20th, 2008, 6:17 am
First Year

Re: The All-Inclusive HBP Movie Thread v.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
Does anyone know if the woman who plays Nymphodora Tonks is comming back for HBP to play Tonks again? Or is it going to be someone else?
Natalia Tena's confirmed that she's coming back.

Old April 20th, 2008, 6:42 am
Fourth Year

Inferi will simply be dead bodies that have been underwtaer for awhile, simple enough make up job but the problem is whether or not they'll actually do that or it'll just be people coming out of the water. That will be a frightening scene to say the least, I wrote a story (Not Potter related) with dead bodies grabbing on to a person and those were in a morgue and thats was bad enough since my stories come from nightmares.

I did a quick search and yahoo answers came up with this for the overall look in a body thats underwater bit graphic but not horrible more chilling. Ignoring the fish and other organisms part, for some reason I would think the dark magic in that cave would not allow things to live for too long, kinda like if you were stuck there with food and water you'd still be susceptible to problems because of what that room is about.

Quote:
The body will start to decompose slowly in the water, even though the temperature is low. Fish and other organisms will start to nibble and 'rotting' will commence to the outside as well as the inside. Breakdown by maggots will not be as apparent than in a room, for example, because of the absence of blow flies.
The body will tend to swell up, owing to released gases, which will help the corpse to float in water.
Colouring of the skin will often be different on a water borne corpse, somewhat paler.
Bruising, I understand tends to occur when blood and vessels are involved and active in life, but not in a cadaver.

Another description from the same page:

cold temperatures will definitely slow decomposition, but water causes bluish discoloration, etc in skin. bodies can be bruised/have internal bleeding for at least a few hours postmortem, depending on the case. good luck!
Now imagine that as you slowly glide across the lake with barely enough light, just enough to show you whats under there. Might be too much for the "family friendly" franchise and they might be going broke on Sectumsempra and cutting back everywhere else, hopefully they'll pull it off.

"Patrick where are you going?"
"I have to return some video tapes."

"An Apple is not a Banana. This must be stated!" -Me
Old April 20th, 2008, 9:11 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureBloodGirl View Post
I don't ever remember JKR including in her storys what color skin her charectors have. I do remember though Lavender being in classes witht the trio, but that doesn't nessecarily mean that she's a Gryfindor. I do actually think that she is a Gryfindor though.
Jo has mentioned skin colors - Dean Thomas was described as a tall, black Londoner and Kingsley Shackelbolt was described as being black. I believe Angelina Johnson and Lee Jordan were as well, but I would have to double check.

Lavender Brown was introduced in PS/SS as the first girl to be sorted into Gryffindor house - but she was never given a physical description. The Gryffindors have all of their classes together in the first two years. In third year, they can choose other classes to add and they don't all chose the same things, but they still go to those classes with other Gryffindors. Most of their classes appear to be shared with one other house - like having Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and potions with Slytherins, but Lavender is in all the Gryffindor classes regardless of which other house they are taking the class with. And Lavender is quite frequently seen in the Gryffindor common room - particularly in HBP when she and Ron are dating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klio View Post
I find this idea quite interesting, actually.

Aren't inferi simply corpses tat a dark wizard revives somehow magically to do his bidding when he needs them?

This migth mean that they don't have a defined 'look' - but raher that their looks depends on what happened to them after they died.

In which case the inferi in the water should probably look like bodies that have long been in water... and I'd say that the description above <shudder> pretty much fits the picture of that.....

I think that both version of undead people in the LotR films (dead marshes and paths of the dead) don't quite work for me... I think they look too supernatural. To me the nasty thing about an inferius is that it is just a dead body used to do a job.... no glamour, no bangs and whistles. That's how I imagine it.... no gostly light or supernatural appearance. Just bodies mindlessly doing their job. That would express how nasty and demeaning it is to do this with a dead body. <argh>

The concept would be even clearer if they just grabbed Harry and DD or the boat without even looking - just automatically guided like by remote control, in a way....
That's how I see them as well. Horror movie zombies are primarily shown as mindless creatures that cannot be controlled - they are usually driven by the need to eat human flesh or brains. The Inferi seem more like controlled corpses - doing the bidding of their master. I think the appearance would vary depending on how they died.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 20th, 2008, 10:50 am
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansboy View Post
....I did a quick search and yahoo answers came up with this for the overall look in a body thats underwater bit graphic but not horrible more chilling. Ignoring the fish and other organisms part, for some reason I would think the dark magic in that cave would not allow things to live for too long, kinda like if you were stuck there with food and water you'd still be susceptible to problems because of what that room is about.

(quote)

Now imagine that as you slowly glide across the lake with barely enough light, just enough to show you whats under there. Might be too much for the "family friendly" franchise and they might be going broke on Sectumsempra and cutting back everywhere else, hopefully they'll pull it off.
Yes, I thought of that sort of thing.... but couldn't face trying to give a description of what I thought such a body looked like (I am really squeamish, and this scene will be a hard watch for me)

You describe it chillingly well, I think. <shudder>

Quote:
Originally Posted by meesha1971 View Post
That's how I see them as well. Horror movie zombies are primarily shown as mindless creatures that cannot be controlled - they are usually driven by the need to eat human flesh or brains. The Inferi seem more like controlled corpses - doing the bidding of their master. I think the appearance would vary depending on how they died.

I have been wondering about this, actually - would V have killed people for this particular purpose? Otherwise, where did he get them from?

I suppose there were plenty of casualties in the war before V tried to kill Harry... most of them presumably killed by AK?

Either way - this really isnt a comfortable thought. I suppose this is really JKR at her most creepy.... it was a chilling read, too....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:59 am
Master of the Magical Arts

Quote:
Yes, I thought of that sort of thing.... but couldn't face trying to give a description of what I thought such a body looked like (I am really squeamish, and this scene will be a hard watch for me)

You describe it chillingly well, I think. <shudder>

I have been wondering about this, actually - would V have killed people for this particular purpose? Otherwise, where did he get them from?

I suppose there were plenty of casualties in the war before V tried to kill Harry... most of them presumably killed by AK?

Either way - this really isnt a comfortable thought. I suppose this is really JKR at her most creepy.... it was a chilling read, too....
I still find the dementors creepier myself - and they have that corpse-like appearance on top of sucking all the warmth and happiness out of you. *shudder*

But you bring up an interesting point because the Killing Curse leaves no mark upon the body. If we're looking at victims of the Killing Curse, they are just going to be lifeless bodies. How gross or creepy they appear is really going to depend on how they have decomposed. It's not going to be your standard zombie covered in blood and gore with body parts or hunks of flesh missing. Though the idea of an animated corpse is pretty creepy even without that.

I keep seeing them looking similar to the Resident Evil zombies though - from the first movie. The first ones they encountered were not covered in blood and gore because they had been killed with a poisonous gas rather than being shot or stabbed, etc... - and they hadn't killed/eaten anyone yet. The biggest difference was that their eyes had this white film over them and they were rather pale. I think the Inferi might be more similar to that - only with ragged clothes and maybe varying stages of decomposition.

Reform must come from within, not from without. ~ James Cardinal Gibbons

"So, if people want information on my characters, then they have to accept that I'm going to give them the information on the characters. And if they don't like it, that's the nature of fiction. You have to accept someone else's world because they made that world, so they probably know a little better than you do what goes on there." ~ J.K. Rowling

All posts are my opinions and interpretations based on reading the Harry Potter books and interviews with J.K. Rowling.

Old April 20th, 2008, 3:15 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Inferi will simply be dead bodies that have been underwtaer for awhile, simple enough make up job but the problem is whether or not they'll actually do that or it'll just be people coming out of the water. That will be a frightening scene to say the least, I wrote a story (Not Potter related) with dead bodies grabbing on to a person and those were in a morgue and thats was bad enough since my stories come from nightmares.

I did a quick search and yahoo answers came up with this for the overall look in a body thats underwater bit graphic but not horrible more chilling. Ignoring the fish and other organisms part, for some reason I would think the dark magic in that cave would not allow things to live for too long, kinda like if you were stuck there with food and water you'd still be susceptible to problems because of what that room is about.
While the infieri shown in LOR are what i imagined and hope to be getting ...after i proposed another option this fdilema arose...

now of all the descriptions and explenations i have gotten,This one is the one that convinces me the most...infieri are conserved in water and the zombies are not...that should make the difference in appearance we all feel they have..
as for having a mind of their own i dont know cause the definition of both say that they do an evil wizard´s will,
anyway...thanks for this one cause i am now more clear on them...

I have said it again and again in the thread ....i hope they get to be creepy enough and not a cartoon of what they should be due to the rating and the target group...the target group of the books was definetly not kids....

the days may go , the years pass, but Potter will always be in my heart.
Pottermore: Wingdawn148
Wand: sycamore core: Phoenix
surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2008, 4:59 pm
Winning Teamster

Well, they'll have to go for a rating that allows most teenagers to see the film, so as to avoid losing too much of the obvious target audience.

Since OotP was a PG-13 in the states, and I think a 12A in the UK that'll probably remain the same, I'd suppose.

Now I am not sure about the US ratings, but 12A (which was introduced not so long ago) is fairly lenient actually, and you can get away with quite a lot within that framwork.

For example, RotK got away with a 12A, and that showed quite a lot of gore, if you think about it. I think I said it before somewhere - the key in RotK was that orc blood isn't red - that allowed them to do all sorts of things that you couldn't do with humans and red blood (weird, isn't it?).

So, as long as the inferi don't have fresh wounds and aren't particularly mutilated they should be able to make this pretty chillingly creepy and stay within the ratings that OOTP had.....

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old April 20th, 2008, 5:27 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think they'll need gore to make the Inferi creepy, as long as they're shown as clearly dead (pale faces and bodies, expressionless eyes, gaunt faces, dishevelled, matted, straw-like hair, etc). Seeing them come out of the water and grabbing at Harry without any expression or words will be eerie enough, they don't need to be dripping in blood.

Old April 20th, 2008, 9:21 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I don't think they'll need gore to make the Inferi creepy, as long as they're shown as clearly dead (pale faces and bodies, expressionless eyes, gaunt faces, dishevelled, matted, straw-like hair, etc). Seeing them come out of the water and grabbing at Harry without any expression or words will be eerie enough, they don't need to be dripping in blood.
I agree the infieri dont need the blood ...now the sectumsemtra does...and it doesnt need to show GORE...just a little bit of well used blood enough to make it clear how serious that spell was....

surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2008, 9:27 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Well, they'll have to go for a rating that allows most teenagers to see the film, so as to avoid losing too much of the obvious target audience.

Since OotP was a PG-13 in the states, and I think a 12A in the UK that'll probably remain the same, I'd suppose.

Now I am not sure about the US ratings, but 12A (which was introduced not so long ago) is fairly lenient actually, and you can get away with quite a lot within that framwork.

For example, RotK got away with a 12A, and that showed quite a lot of gore, if you think about it. I think I said it before somewhere - the key in RotK was that orc blood isn't red - that allowed them to do all sorts of things that you couldn't do with humans and red blood (weird, isn't it?).

So, as long as the inferi don't have fresh wounds and aren't particularly mutilated they should be able to make this pretty chillingly creepy and stay within the ratings that OOTP had.....
The problem is that for years now there's a been a definite crack down on what you see in a movie regardless of the rating and stuffs been toned down because of it. Remember what movies in the 80's and 90's had in them compared to now, there is a difference.

On top of that, and more important IMO, it is not so much about content as the target audience the second LoTR movie was rated "PG-13 for epic battle sequences and scary images." I guarantee you that Potter won't be judged in the same manner because if it was it'd easily pull off pg-13 even with full sectumsempra as thats the most graphic scene in the entire book.

Old April 20th, 2008, 9:31 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
On top of that, and more important IMO, it is not so much about content as the target audience the second LoTR movie was rated "PG-13 for epic battle sequences and scary images." I guarantee you that Potter won't be judged in the same manner because if it was it'd easily pull off pg-13 even with full sectumsempra as thats the most graphic scene in the entire book.
so you are saying they might make it pg 13 and still get a full sectumsemptra?
I honestly wouldnt care about the rating if this didnt affect the watering down of scenes....

surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2008, 10:56 pm
Fourth Year

I doubt we'll get a full sectumsempra, one cause they water stuff down regardless and two because the last thing you want is the board (Which has no legal authority by the way, funny how it seems that some people believe those ratings to be legally binding) to ask you to tone down the scene cause then you people wondering what the scene could've looked like. Good stuff like thay never makes it onto DVD.

Old April 20th, 2008, 11:28 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
I doubt we'll get a full sectumsempra, one cause they water stuff down regardless and two because the last thing you want is the board (Which has no legal authority by the way, funny how it seems that some people believe those ratings to be legally binding) to ask you to tone down the scene cause then you people wondering what the scene could've looked like. Good stuff like thay never makes it onto DVD.
Well,i hope we get a descent sectumsemptra...i know it wont be like it was really supposed to be...but I am honestly ,truly hoping they get the general idea...its not rivers of blood,its enough blood to give the idea of how awful the spell was...how clever the Halfblood prince was,and how it has to be a very smart and powerful wizard so when we they found ot who it was ,they are able to see how powerful Snape is and how having him on the other side wont be good for Harry...And then when seeing that Snape killed DD,they will be fearing that Snape ,is on the other side and will be worried that he might really be on Voldy´s side and how this is not good for The good side at all...

surprisingly swishy
Old April 20th, 2008, 11:40 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I totally agree....

I have to say, I am well above 13 but *I* don't want to see a sectumsempra with all its effects. It would have to be a bit like that infamous scene in Eastern Promises... I actually appreciate Cronenberg's attitude because he shows violence as nasty and horrible, as I suppose it must look in RL - as opposed to somehow glamourising it. And in that context it was justified, too. But I can't say that I managed to watch the whole scene without closing my eyes for some time.

A 'real' sectumsempra would surely cause pretty bad slashing wounds - and I don't think we need to see that realistically portrayed in a HP film... it's also easier to bear in the context of an actual fight or especially in a battle - but here we'd have it as part of a form of disagreement, and just on its own, in a bathroom.... bang! sectumsempra! horrible wounds!

What a shocker that would be if they DID show all....

There will have to be some blood, obviously, but I don't think we'll really see in any great detail what the spell actually did to Draco. For example they could go to wideshot to avoid a close-up with full prosthetic make-up of a wound... that sort of thing just to tone it down a bit.

Of course, I want it to be totally clear to the audienc e just how horrible that spell was... The seriousness of the whole situation will have to be brought home to the audience by Snape's reaction - and I think we can be confident that that will happen properly.... I also hope that Daniel Radcliffe will pull of the scene by really showing us how shocked Harry was about the effects...

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
Old April 21st, 2008, 3:54 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
course, I want it to be totally clear to the audienc e just how horrible that spell was... The seriousness of the whole situation will have to be brought home to the audience by Snape's reaction - and I think we can be confident that that will happen properly.... I also hope that Daniel Radcliffe will pull of the scene by really showing us how shocked Harry was about the effects...
this is what i want and what i need some blood in it...cause blood is very visual and it would help emphatize the seriousness of the spell...but i dont want like I said rivers of blood...enough to sell the idea properly...

surprisingly swishy
Old April 21st, 2008, 4:17 am
Zonko's Employee

Hey, maybe it's time for this thread to have a poll? Perhaps when the trailer comes out asking your opinion on the trailer or perhaps a 'which scene from the book are you most looking forward to seeing in the movie'?

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Old April 21st, 2008, 4:19 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfDeath View Post
Hey, maybe it's time for this thread to have a poll? Perhaps when the trailer comes out asking your opinion on the trailer or perhaps a 'which scene from the book are you most looking forward to seeing in the movie'?
I would make one on how the movie should be rated and how much should it show gorewise ...there seems to be a difference of opinion regarding this...

surprisingly swishy
Old April 21st, 2008, 6:04 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Inferi will simply be dead bodies that have been underwtaer for awhile, simple enough make up job but the problem is whether or not they'll actually do that or it'll just be people coming out of the water.

I did a quick search and yahoo answers came up with this for the overall look in a body thats underwater bit graphic but not horrible more chilling.

Quote:
The body will start to decompose slowly in the water, even though the temperature is low.
The body will tend to swell up, owing to released gases, which will help the corpse to float in water.
Colouring of the skin will often be different on a water borne corpse, somewhat paler.
Bruising, I understand tends to occur when blood and vessels are involved and active in life, but not in a cadaver.

Another description from the same page:

cold temperatures will definitely slow decomposition, but water causes bluish discoloration, etc in skin. bodies can be bruised/have internal bleeding for at least a few hours postmortem, depending on the case. good luck!
Ah, Excellent!

Thanks for clearing that up deansboy!!!

So, even though Zombies and Inferi have the same definition the difference (with the Cave inferi at least) is that:

- Inferi are decomposing in water

- Zombies are decomposing under soil

So, like the deansboy quoted, the Cave Inferi should have a paler or more bluish skin discoloration. But they will have decomposed just as all dead things do so they should look a bit more skeletonish too, I believe.

Now, about HOW LONG they've been DEAD and in response to this:

Quote:

I'm going to quote the DD/Harry convo to answer this:

Quote:
"Inferi have not been seen for a long time, however, not since Voldemort was last powerful... He killed enough people to make an army of them, of course"
So, It would seem that the people in the lake have been dead for at least 13 years and Yes, it seems he killed them for this purpose.

I just thought of something intersting though, based on that statement,

If he used them before, how come we didn't see Inferi in The Battle of Hogwarts???

Anyone want to take a crack at that, even though its the wrong Book/Movie?

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!
Old April 21st, 2008, 6:11 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbaseball22 View Post
Anyone want to take a crack at that, even though its the wrong Book/Movie?
maybe cause it was very sudden...he just realized about the horcruxes...he hadnt had enough time to kill enough people ...
besides me thinks even though he used them...they must have not been his favorite ...they represented that very thing he so feared death...so i assume thats why he used them to protect the locket ...but also why he avoided using them again...

surprisingly swishy
Old April 21st, 2008, 6:16 am
Secret Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montse View Post
maybe cause it was very sudden...he just realized about the horcruxes...he hadnt had enough time to kill enough people ...
besides me thinks even though he used them...they must have not been his favorite ...they represented that very thing he so feared death...so i assume thats why he used them to protect the locket ...but also why he avoided using them again...
Well, they were said to have been seen, so I don't think he just used to in the Cave to protect his horcruxes.

I think he would've used them in Battle when he was originally Powerful and why not, they can't be killed

I'm sure he had enough to use in DH, can they be destroyed? If not, he had the same size army of Inferi at his disposal as always.

I'd guess JK simply had enough creatures in that Battle with the Giants, Dementors, Acromantuala, etc.

I've been wrongly sorted into Gryffindor!

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Harry Potter Archives