Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

Old October 16th, 2008, 6:53 am
Second Year

Re: Books you dislike, but everyone else likes

I actually read Great Expectations but I have no idea what made me do it.... but it was back in 8th grade and I managed to finish it but till today I have no idea what the story is about....

Sponsored Links
Old October 16th, 2008, 11:10 am
Fourth Year

I actually really liked Great Expectations It took me a few days to get through, but I thought it was really sad. Pip kind of made me mad, but I think it was a really good portrayal of human nature in some respects.

I am so not hard to please though

Old October 16th, 2008, 12:49 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

The Wind in the Willows. I know everyone says it's a great childrens' classic, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I tried reading it when I was younger, but I just couldn't finish it, it didn't appeal to me at all. I felt really bad, because it was a gift.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and sheís trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old October 16th, 2008, 1:02 pm
First Year

Twilight saga. I don't dislike them, I hate them.

Old October 16th, 2008, 2:12 pm
Registered Animagus

I despised The Da Vinci Code... found it to be pretentious and very boring. It's not a book but a play- Educating Rita. *cringe* Had to read it for year 12 English and it put me off reading for a long time.

Old October 26th, 2008, 11:27 pm
Second Year

Two words; Twilight Series.

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old October 27th, 2008, 5:25 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

Kiran Desai's Booker Winning Novel: "The Inheritance of Loss". Booker winning novels are usually un-readable, I know..but I still tried it..and it was awful, pointless and at times bordered around stupidity and ignorance.

Desai liked to write in a way that seemingly showed her as knowledgeable..but it was blatantly obvious in my opinion. And ew...I HATE her characters..

Old October 27th, 2008, 5:30 pm
Qvack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
The Wind in the Willows. I know everyone says it's a great childrens' classic, but it just doesn't do anything for me. I tried reading it when I was younger, but I just couldn't finish it, it didn't appeal to me at all. I felt really bad, because it was a gift.
I was in that exact situation! Weird!

And I totally agree, it just never appealed to me on any sort of scale at all. It was the same with Watership Down... I just never understood the hype about those two, they were... so unhelpful for me...

THE DUCK.

Old October 28th, 2008, 1:02 am
Third Year

1. What books do you dislike, but everyone else likes?
Twilight, Lord of the Rings, His Dark Materials

2. Why do you not like the book that everyone likes? What was your opinion on the book?
Twilight: It reads like fanfiction, the plot is transparent, bordering on non-existent, and every girl in the world apparently wants to live in Edward Cullen's pants. The fangirls are very annoying.

Lord of the Rings: I've never really tried to read LotR. I guess I should as a book lover, but I just never seem to get around to it.

His Dark Materials: Well written, but dull at points, and in other points coming off condescending and pretentious to the reader.

3. Can a hyped-up book/series actually nurture that rare breed that you are in not liking it?
Yes, I'm pretty sure the hype can. I used to be a big Twilight fan, but when all the hype started flowing, it seemed like most of the fans completely lost their minds and their ability to spell and use punctuation. The hype has actually nurtured my hate for the series.

4. Have you ever given a previously (or still) disliked book a second chance, lest you missed something or just read too fast to appreciate? Why/why not?
Well, I'd given Twilight a first chance, then again a second chance, and on the second time around it did not impress me at all.

5. Do you feel it is worthwhile to give disliked books a second chance?
Sometimes it is because you can find things that you didn't notice before, like in To Kill a Mockingbird, a book where I read every chapter twice, once on my own, disliking it, and again in class, loving it. Which is funny because everyone I speak to in my class hated that book.

6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?
Well I think I'm going to go and give LotR its first chance really. I've tried to read the first three chapters and I was sort of bored *ashamed*, so Ima give it another try.

One door, one key, one idea...one big mess.
The Phenomenon Begins
Old October 28th, 2008, 2:08 am
Qvack...

I have one. Artemis Fowl. I read the first two and was simply so unimpressed. I had expected such great things that never came to pass for me, so I was disappointed. I never went back to give them a second chance, but I honestly disliked the entire story arc and the method of telling that story, so I don't think that has changed either! !

And a second one. Those books about the Baudelaire Siblings, a Series of Unfortunate Events. I read the first three of those, but it annoyed me, being addressed as a "dear reader" quite consistently, and being told to put down the book for fear of badness filling my heart or some such.. It just didn't entertain, even though I so would have loved it to...

THE DUCK.

Old October 28th, 2008, 6:30 am
Don't feed the Noob! (It only encourages them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiditchwitch View Post
[b]
His Dark Materials: Well written, but dull at points, and in other points coming off condescending and pretentious to the reader.
I hadn't thought of it that way before, but you're absolutely right! I did really enjoy the series, especially the last one with all the delicious creepyness in the land of the dead, but the tone does carry a bit too much omniscient nihilism for my tastes.
Quote:
6. Are there any books you have disliked on the first read that you feel you might give a second chance to? Why/why not?
Well I think I'm going to go and give LotR its first chance really. I've tried to read the first three chapters and I was sort of bored *ashamed*, so Ima give it another try.
My advice to you is: Skip the prologue. All the background-y bits about 'Concerning Hobbits' - it's like the whale-biology chapter in Moby Dick. It's somewhat informative, but doesn't read at a narrative clip, and for that reason gets very boring very quickly. More importantly, you don't really need to know any of that stuff to grasp the plot or characters. So hang in there - it does get better.

Committed to Sparkle Motion
Old October 28th, 2008, 11:34 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Yes, Twilight! However, I'm not entirely sure this counts because I at first I did like it. Now I dislike it very much so. The first book was okay, but after that it started going downhill, and now what really erks me is how they're calling it the next Harry Potter. I'm sorry, but I just don't think so.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 31st, 2008, 12:26 am
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhanax315 View Post
Yes, Twilight! However, I'm not entirely sure this counts because I at first I did like it. Now I dislike it very much so. The first book was okay, but after that it started going downhill, and now what really erks me is how they're calling it the next Harry Potter. I'm sorry, but I just don't think so.
O i know! The whole, "Twilight's the next Harry Potter" jazz gets on my nereves! Pur-lease!! Harry Potter is a classic (IN MY OPNION!) about a young boy who finds out that hes a wizard and goes onto destroy the evil-est wizard of all time! And Twilight? Lets see, its about a 18 year old girl in love with a 100+ year old vampire, and what? They have a baby? OMG!! Anyway.... I actually got into a fight with one of my best friends about this! She's all, "Twilight rocks, it sooo much better tha HP" I about ready to smack her! But whatevs peoples opnions are peoples opnions, you cant change their minds....

Donít you ask me if its love my dear
Love donít really mean a thing round here
The fake scenes the plastic-made dreams
Say you donít want it, say you donít want it
{One Night Only}

Old October 31st, 2008, 3:28 am
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLunaPotter View Post
O i know! The whole, "Twilight's the next Harry Potter" jazz gets on my nereves! Pur-lease!! Harry Potter is a classic (IN MY OPNION!) about a young boy who finds out that hes a wizard and goes onto destroy the evil-est wizard of all time! And Twilight? Lets see, its about a 18 year old girl in love with a 100+ year old vampire, and what? They have a baby? OMG!! Anyway.... I actually got into a fight with one of my best friends about this! She's all, "Twilight rocks, it sooo much better tha HP" I about ready to smack her! But whatevs peoples opnions are peoples opnions, you cant change their minds....

Oh my gosh! I get that all the time! I joined this forum thing for books on barnes and noble.com, well I guess it wasn't very mature of me, but I started bashing Twilight.... People really erked me in what they said about how dumb Potter was and how great Twilight was. Eventually it got so bad that I got banned and can't go on there anymore, . But I don't see how they can compare something as complex as Potter to Twilight. Sorry, but that just doesn't work.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old October 31st, 2008, 10:09 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlesha View Post
Twilight saga. I don't dislike them, I hate them.

Me to ... I hate them! Don't see what the fuss is all about... And my friend had the cheek to make me read the twilight series( even though i didn't want to) and not only did she NOT read the Harry Potter books in return ( Or even atempt to) she said Harry Potter was Rubbish and Not worth her time All she talks about is Twilight,,, Just kind of ignore her lol!
Reading it back makes it all seem kind of pathetic! But hey - Where would i be without my Harry Potter? :-)

Thanks to whoever made this ^^^

Dumbledore's Girl Through And Through

November 21st - Offical We Hate WB Making Us Wait Till July 09 To Watch HBP Day!
Old November 1st, 2008, 2:04 am
Registered Animagus

Now that I've finally finished it I can honestly say that Twilight is the most overrated book I've ever read. Total rubbish IMO. I find it hard to believe it was written by a mature adult (I assume it was?) and not a 12 year old girl. If I wanted to read fan fiction, I wouldn't be in Boarders!
The main character has no depth and is shallow and selfish. I cant find anything to like about her. She is rude to those who try and befriend her and have only good intentions. She is obsessed with someone she doesn't even know and brushes off everything else around her as not good enough.

This book is awful. Will not be reading the rest or seeing the movie. Twilight the next HP? Hmm let's see. HP- Good story, reasonable character development, well written, engaging, exciting plot... Twilight-

Sorry for the rant, this book just really made me angry (well not the book so much as the undeserved hype).

Old November 1st, 2008, 8:45 am
Conquering Reading Lists

Actually I'm not going to rant, for a change. I'll try to summarise it in as few words as possible.

Chetan Bhagat's "The Three Mistakes of my Life"-Cringe-worthy.

In India this book is some sort of a literary phenomenon...oh yes, its "Twilight" all over again. I think its too pathetic that it doesnt deserve a review.

Or maybe.....I've decided on this. Here goes:

Three Mistakes of My Life:
Going to the Library
Getting this book
And actually finishing it.

There...done.

And..I'm planning to read "Twilight" - just to know what the fuss is all about, though I'm already quite sure it wont be worth my time..from what many have told me..anyway..

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here

Last edited by lilyrose; November 1st, 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:09 am
Fourth Year

... Never liked Anne Rice (In fact, I dislike the entire Vampire genre).. and I found Narnia, and Lord of the Rings pretty boring.. I've never read the Twilight series, but, It's a vampire story, and it seems like it's aimed towards teenage girls.. Not my thing.. =p

When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 12:25 am
Banned

I don't like The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books just don't interest me. I don't know why everyone likes them so much.

Old November 4th, 2008, 6:36 am
Registered Animagus

I think The Hobbit and LotR are really an acquired taste. I pretty much forced myself to read them because I enjoyed the movies so much. I read then when I was about... 14 or 15 I guess and struggled a lot but in the end enjoyed them. I can understand why people may not like them but I think they are written beautifully.

Quote:
And..I'm planning to read "Twilight" - just to know what the fuss is all about, though I'm already quite sure it wont be worth my time..from what many have told me..anyway..
Spare yourself the agony.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction