Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Old August 12th, 2012, 10:06 pm
Third Year

Re: Have you ever got really angry/offended at a book?

Well, a lot of the books that we read in English class (like the Classics) tend to be rather offensive against race/religion/gender (all those racial slurs/sexist statements/mocking religion/beliefs!) .
I realize we only read them to appreciate/understand the more positive aspects of the book so I try to ignore the offensive parts and keep my perspective analytical which, I suppose, is the best thing to do when you come across situations like that. Also, most of those books are old so they do help me to realize all that society had/has to overcome! Another good thing to remember when you get offended by a book is that its just an opinion and not (as someone already said) truth/fact.

Last edited by asdfasdf17; August 12th, 2012 at 10:25 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:32 pm
Fourth Year

I recently read 50 Shades of Grey, and I've never been so angry at a book. Maybe it was because I was sort of critically reading it whereas normally I just read books for the story, but I kept picking up on things that were blatantly offensive because of what they implied

Images taken from http://dft.ba/-2M6r
Do not anger the kitty!Avengers.

Learning to Live AgainOne shots
Old August 15th, 2012, 3:24 pm
Second Year

One book that particularly offended me (although I quite liked the book in general) is The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett. I was quite disgusted by the innate racism and classism present in the writer's psyche. The representation of Indian ayahs as emotionless objects who contributed to the Mary's bad upbringing wasn't nice. The India-bashing was quite prominent and I hated how spoiled, rude, India-grown Mary needed to come into "respectable", white, English surroundings to become a good person. At first, I thought Mary's racism would be presented as part of her early brattiness. I was let down, however, when she was never cured of it - rather, everyone blamed her bad behavior on the fact that she grew up in India where there are, I quote, "a lot of blacks there instead of respectable white people." It was pretty insulting. What's even worse is that this is supposed to be a children's book. The fact that these were the sort of messages instilled in children in those times is kinda scary, really.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Last edited by StarryVeil; August 15th, 2012 at 3:26 pm.
Old August 15th, 2012, 5:00 pm
Seventh Year

My Sister's Keeper really got me upset:
Spoiler: show
that the author puts you through that entire book just to kill the girl off in the end was so angering, I remember reading those lines and thinking WTH! Why did I just spend a week reading this book??

Then I watched the movie which got me even more upset because
they changed the ending so that the girl doesn't die, the sister dies,
and I came to realize that while I hated the book, the movie was even worse.

As for "the classics" with their fairly overt racism, sexism, classism, etc. I tend not to get offended by them because I realize that they are products of the age in which they were written and during that time what they were writing about (for the most part) was accepted practice, accepted social conventions, etc. so while I personally may not agree with the social conventions I don't really get worked up about them. It's okay to look back on the past and accept that those prejudices existed and recognize that times have changed for the better.

A lot of the time, too, if you took out those racisit, sexist or classist social norms the book would seem fake or like it was written recently but by an author too scared to stray from what is politically correct today to go there or the author thinks that if they show their protagonist as a slave owner than the readers will automatically hate them so they have to have freed slaves who get paid and have health benefits... (I'm thinking in particular of the movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson)

Old August 15th, 2012, 7:47 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelowo93 View Post
I recently read 50 Shades of Grey, and I've never been so angry at a book. Maybe it was because I was sort of critically reading it whereas normally I just read books for the story, but I kept picking up on things that were blatantly offensive because of what they implied
I read some of it, and could not bring myself to continue to read all of it. I flicked through parts of the rest of it to see just how messed up it got. I was appalled that a thoroughly abusive and unhealthy relationship was being portrayed as "romantic". Equally annoying is the media coverage trying to say that this is what women want. Um, no, people who are saying this: don't presume to speak for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
My Sister's Keeper really got me upset:
that the author puts you through that entire book just to kill the girl off in the end was so angering, I remember reading those lines and thinking WTH! Why did I just spend a week reading this book??

I enjoyed that book, but then I read Handle with Care:
in which Picoult also puts a family through a huge moral dilemma involving a sick child, and she goes the same sudden tragedy route. I just felt it was cheap to repeat the same kind of thing. It's put me off Picoult. I mean, I know moral dilemma stories are her specialty, but this problem and ending were somewhat repetitive and I felt as if she was going for the tear jerker for the sake of it.

Quote:
A lot of the time, too, if you took out those racisit, sexist or classist social norms the book would seem fake or like it was written recently but by an author too scared to stray from what is politically correct today to go there or the author thinks that if they show their protagonist as a slave owner than the readers will automatically hate them so they have to have freed slaves who get paid and have health benefits... (I'm thinking in particular of the movie The Patriot with Mel Gibson)
I agree - I don't like it when modern-written/made historical fiction or movies pretend that society in general was more open-minded and understanding than it actually was at the time. It presents a false picture of history and how far the world has actually moved on.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.

Last edited by FurryDice; August 15th, 2012 at 7:49 pm.
Old August 16th, 2012, 3:26 pm
Second Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
I read some of it, and could not bring myself to continue to read all of it. I flicked through parts of the rest of it to see just how messed up it got. I was appalled that a thoroughly abusive and unhealthy relationship was being portrayed as "romantic". Equally annoying is the media coverage trying to say that this is what women want. Um, no, people who are saying this: don't presume to speak for me.
Oh man, 50 Shades of Gray was...messed up, to say the least. And I didn't even read the whole book. I only read the first 50 pages or so
(until the "terms and conditions" part *shudder*)
and couldn't go on after that. But it's to be expected - after all, the book started out as a Twilight fan fic.

Quote:
It's put me off Picoult. I mean, I know moral dilemma stories are her specialty, but this problem and ending were somewhat repetitive and I felt as if she was going for the tear jerker for the sake of it.
That's the same reason I was put off Piccoult and Nicholas Sparks (although The Notebook remains one of my favorites). They're both quite repetitive with the types of problems their protagonists have to face.

Picture by LaurelSKY from http://laurelsky.deviantart.com/art/...tter-170927604

"Its hooves made no mark on the soft ground as it stared at Harry with its large, silver eyes. Slowly, it bowed its antlered head. And Harry realized..."Prongs..."
- Hermione's Secret, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Old August 16th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
Oh man, 50 Shades of Gray was...messed up, to say the least. And I didn't even read the whole book. I only read the first 50 pages or so
and couldn't go on after that. But it's to be expected - after all, the book started out as a Twilight fan fic.
I read a total of about 10 pages of 50 Shades of Grey and it was so not captivating; it felt like a 13 year old girl had written it because of how perfect the guy is and how slavishly the girl acts right off the bat. Puh-lease.

This post did remind me that I have actually gotten incredibly angry at a book: The end of Breaking Dawn. What a waste of time that entire series was to culminate into such an anticlimactic non-ending! It still makes me angry thinking about it. For what its worth (and I don't think the movies are worth much more than the books) I hope fix the ending for the movie.

Old August 18th, 2012, 8:19 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryVeil View Post
And it shows. Controlling creep portrayed as the epitome of male brilliance? Check. This portrayed as the kind of man every woman wants? Check. (Although, to be fair, this is the media's publicity angle as much as anything else) Stalking portrayed as love? Check.
As for the part you mention, that repulsed me, too. However, I flicked through the book at random, and every time I opened a page, I found something that made me furious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddess_Clio View Post
I read a total of about 10 pages of 50 Shades of Grey and it was so not captivating; it felt like a 13 year old girl had written it because of how perfect the guy is and how slavishly the girl acts right off the bat. Puh-lease.
Also the abuse portrayed as lurve. Trying to change/understand/put up with an abusive creep portrayed as lurve. Stalking portrayed as lurve. It did seem very immature.

Quote:
This post did remind me that I have actually gotten incredibly angry at a book: The end of Breaking Dawn. What a waste of time that entire series was to culminate into such an anticlimactic non-ending! It still makes me angry thinking about it. For what its worth (and I don't think the movies are worth much more than the books) I hope fix the ending for the movie.

Well,I've heard the movies have toned down a lot of the stuff in Twilight. Although they have kept that utterly creepy part where Edward damaged Bella's car so she couldn't visit Jacob. Yeah -just the kind of guy any girl wants. Creepy. Another offensive book, IMO.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old August 20th, 2012, 5:47 pm
Seventh Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryDice View Post
And it shows. Controlling creep portrayed as the epitome of male brilliance? Check. This portrayed as the kind of man every woman wants? Check. (Although, to be fair, this is the media's publicity angle as much as anything else) Stalking portrayed as love? Check.
As for the part you mention, that repulsed me, too. However, I flicked through the book at random, and every time I opened a page, I found something that made me furious.
I'm glad I haven't read it, then. I'm glad I don't like romance novels; what what seems to pass as romance nowadays.

Quote:
Also the abuse portrayed as lurve. Trying to change/understand/put up with an abusive creep portrayed as lurve. Stalking portrayed as lurve. It did seem very immature.
Doesn't surprise me to hear this kind of thing about 50 Shades when I've read and loathed all of these things in the Twilight books. I am shocked and dismayed by how popular these books are with young girls; to think that they'll grow up and enter into relationships thinking that how Edward treated Bella (How Christian treats Mary-Sue-What's-Her-Name) is how their boyfriends would treat them if he loved them.

No. That's called being an abusive control-freak, any which way you spin it.

Quote:
Well,I've heard the movies have toned down a lot of the stuff in Twilight. Although they have kept that utterly creepy part where Edward damaged Bella's car so she couldn't visit Jacob. Yeah -just the kind of guy any girl wants. Creepy. Another offensive book, IMO.
They had to tone it down in order to maintain the PG-13 rating and not alienate the entire tweenage portion of their fandom. If it had gone to an R rating their audience would have been cut in half and their box office returns would have likewise diminished.

Also, another book (that I'm currently reading) that hasn't offended me but is getting me very annoyed in The Mammoth Hunters, part of the Clan of the Cave Bear series. No body talks to anyone in this book so misunderstandings that could be hashed out in a single conversation 5 minutes after the initial transgression drag on for 2/3 of the book. It's getting really irritating.

Last edited by Goddess_Clio; August 20th, 2012 at 5:49 pm.
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction