Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar? Awards season thread

Old April 10th, 2009, 9:43 pm
Fifth Year

Re: What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nkeydump View Post
I'm unsure whether this is appropriate, but here goes. The Oscar Best Picture nominations almost always include films that involve homosexuality, some obscure movie critics said were good but no one has actually seen, or some feel-good rise-from-the-bottom movie.
I certainly do not think that comment is appropriate, given that it is pretty thoroughly - and objectively - inaccurate. Would you care to do an (objective!) analysis of the BP nominees over the last few years to demonstrate how many "involve homosexuality" vis-a-vis those which do not?

I fail to see what this has to do with Harry Potter.

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2009, 9:44 pm
Embroidered by imaginatio

Let's move on guys, this is indeed off topic

"I'm a leaf on the wind...watch how I soar."

"Chickens come home to roost."

"It's okay...I-I'm a leaf on the wind."

Loveliest Care Bear. Expert Sig Changer
Old April 11th, 2009, 2:10 am
Second Year

For it to be one film.

Old May 12th, 2009, 2:08 pm
Sixth Year

I really don't think it would be hard at all. Just needs a good musical score. And I have no doubt the acting will be phenomenal. So I think it has a pretty darn good chance.

“These are dark times, there is no denying. Our world has perhaps faced no greater threat than it does today. But I say this, to our citizenry: WE, ever your servants, will continue to defend your liberty and repel the forces that seek to take it from you! Your Ministry, remains, strong!”
Old May 12th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Third Year

Mercy and some sense from the Academy.

I have resigned myself to accept that HP films will never win Oscars. Even though some actors.... Alan Rickman for one, absolutely deserve to win in the supporting categories for their performances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
I certainly do not think that comment is appropriate, given that it is pretty thoroughly - and objectively - inaccurate. Would you care to do an (objective!) analysis of the BP nominees over the last few years to demonstrate how many "involve homosexuality" vis-a-vis those which do not?

I fail to see what this has to do with Harry Potter.
Ditto this. I want the films to stick with the book. We have bigger things to worry about in the HP world than who is diddling who and its not worth it to go down that route when the core of the story is so much more important than being politically correct for the sake of getting a statuette.

I am a Harry and Luna Fan. My ship may have sunk but my love goes on.

Ya know Daniel Radcliffe is really good at fake drowning.
Old June 8th, 2009, 5:09 am
First Year

They would have to show extreme improvement to win anything more than a technical award. Philosopher's Stone was Nominated for Best Art Direction, Best Costume Design, and Best Original Score at the 74th Academy Awards, these three catagories have gone more and more downhill with each film imo.

It's too early to say anything about what it will specifically take to win an Oscar, but in general it's going to have to be something we haven't seen the likes of in this series thus far.

Old June 10th, 2009, 4:23 pm
First Year

I think they just have to make it really good and hopefully they are making it two parts so they can make it extremely long, if they did that then they will be able to fit everything in from the books yayayayay

Gryffindor
Old June 11th, 2009, 1:53 pm
First Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita View Post
I think they might have chances with musical score and perhaps visual effects but in terms of any awards for actors or the picture itself I don't think it stands much of a chance.
I agree. But it is a bit sad how some of the actors who really do deserve the award are not recognized, partly because they're foreign I guess. For instance, Tom Felton, who I think is really digging hard towards an Oscar judging from his performance in HBP. I'm at least hoping that Alan Rickman pulls off a good performance in the Prince's Tale in the up-and-coming DH as he does have to do a crying scene (depends how dramatic the director will allow him to make it as Dan's scream in the part where Sirius dies in OOTP was muted because the producers thought it was too ''agonizing'' for a ''kids' movie'').

Old June 11th, 2009, 3:01 pm
The Next Great Adventurer

I agree with Moriath that none of the films have been good enough to garner a major Oscar and this will probably be repeated.

If nothing else the source material has, IMO, a fatal structural flaw by introducing the Hallows in the last book immediately after the concept of the Horcruces.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Old June 11th, 2009, 3:04 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNightGhobhadi View Post
I agree. But it is a bit sad how some of the actors who really do deserve the award are not recognized, partly because they're foreign I guess.
If you mean "British" - the Brits win Oscars all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDNightGhobhadi View Post
For instance, Tom Felton, who I think is really digging hard towards an Oscar judging from his performance in HBP.
How can anyone tell? All we've seen are two minute clips. However effective Felton is, his chance of a nod in such a small supporting role is IMO zero.

Old June 11th, 2009, 3:34 pm
Registered Animagus

Music and special effects are realistically the only awards I can see happening. It wont win BP because it's split in half, while many of the actors are good, the best ones do not have big enough parts to win best actor, the scripts/editing/direction haven't been good enough so far so I don't see why that'd change.

Old June 17th, 2009, 12:46 am
Fifth Year

Well I think that they could pull what they did with Lord of The Rings, but idk...

I do hope that it gets some awards...

Old June 17th, 2009, 4:39 am
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduperboard View Post
I think they just have to make it really good and hopefully they are making it two parts so they can make it extremely long, if they did that then they will be able to fit everything in from the books yayayayay
Well, I don't know if the Academy will consider added length a good reason to give DH an Oscar . If anything, the lack of adaption to screen, the lack of fixing major plot holes from the book, as well as the lack of conciseness... those will all push DH further from an Oscar than it already was.

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old June 17th, 2009, 6:59 am
Second Year

that is just never going to happen.

Accio Lumos!
I am the Summoner of Light.
Old June 17th, 2009, 9:00 pm
Fourth Year

The great actors are simply not given enough to justify a nomination, there's no way it's going to be anything except a technical one and even that is a stretch. LoTR was essentially awarded a ton of statues for the entire series, no one can claim that anything in this series has shown consistent quality on such a level that it would convince the academy to hand out an award. Maybe the special effects with the giants and dragon and spiders (if they're used) possibly the soundtrack but really I see nothing else that has a real chance.

"Patrick where are you going?"
"I have to return some video tapes."

"An Apple is not a Banana. This must be stated!" -Me
Old June 18th, 2009, 9:29 am
Second Year

I can't see it. There needs to be a structure to it, and a theme. JKR (much as I love her) is a bit all over the place and inconclusive. GOF was the most structured book, possibly also SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deansboy View Post
LoTR was essentially awarded a ton of statues for the entire series, no one can claim that anything in this series has shown consistent quality on such a level that it would convince the academy to hand out an award.
Yes, exactly. My favorite LOTR is actually number 2, which was about courage in face of uncertain outcomes.

Old June 18th, 2009, 11:37 am
Fifth Year

For DH to get Oscars:
  • Stick to the book!
  • Get Hans Zimmer to do the soundtrack.
  • Stick to the book!
  • Replace most of the actors...OK, I know that won't work...give the good actors and actressess the big parts they deserve (e.g. Maggie Smith). And perhaps inject botox into Emma Watson's eyebrows to calm them down a little *joke*
  • Stick to the book!
  • Don't allow any other films to be released that year...

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old June 18th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
For DH to get Oscars:
  • Stick to the book!
  • Get Hans Zimmer to do the soundtrack.
  • Stick to the book!
  • Replace most of the actors...OK, I know that won't work...give the good actors and actressess the big parts they deserve (e.g. Maggie Smith). And perhaps inject botox into Emma Watson's eyebrows to calm them down a little *joke*
  • Stick to the book!
  • Don't allow any other films to be released that year...
I would just like to point out that the LotR films didn't win Oscars because they stuck to the book. Indeed, they didn't stick to the book in many respects.

Sticking to the book has nothing to do with how Oscar-worthy a movie is, IMO.

Old June 18th, 2009, 2:36 pm
Fifth Year

I know, that wasn't the perspective I was looking at it from. What I meant was that, in the case of Harry Potter, I think the books have a far better story to tell than anything the filmakers have so far been able to come up with themselves. I think that the DH story is great enough to win an Oscar, but obviously this won't happen if it isn't kept to (more or less - I am reasonable, and know they can't include everthing).

"Six years ter the day since we met, Harry, d'yeh remember it?"
"Vaguely...didn't you smash down the front door, give Dudley a pig's tail and tell me I was a wizard?"
"I forge' the details."

Old June 18th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFinch View Post
I know, that wasn't the perspective I was looking at it from. What I meant was that, in the case of Harry Potter, I think the books have a far better story to tell than anything the filmakers have so far been able to come up with themselves.
I love the HP books, but wouldn't personally class them as earth-shattering literature (although their popular status is well deserved). I think the film-makers have probably tended to ignore the darker, more subversive elements of Rowling's imagination (Cuaron got the closest of any of them). Mood-wise, I find the films pretty faithful to Harry's world. I would have welcomed seeing the Harry/Snape antagonism upped in the films.

A more radical and less reverent approach to adapting the books might well have resulted in some cinema classics. I do think they have that potential.

Quote:
I think that the DH story is great enough to win an Oscar, but obviously this won't happen if it isn't kept to (more or less - I am reasonable, and know they can't include everthing).
I'm quite not so convinced about DH being Oscar material although I suppose that almost anything is potential Oscar material if the film treatment is that good.

I do think that DH is intrinsically cinematic and has the potential to be a very good film. (Emphasis on film: I am not sold on the virtues of splitting it in half.)

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References