Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar? Awards season thread

Old February 15th, 2009, 4:49 am
Third Year

What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar? Awards season thread

Hi dear friends seeing that its almost Oscar season, I thought to put this up... Since they just started filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... What would it take to get it a few of those Golden statues?

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2009, 5:47 am
Fourth Year

Re: What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar?

I think that first it'd have to be one movie

"WHAT THE DEVIL IS GOING ON HERE?"
-AVPM.
Old February 15th, 2009, 5:58 am
Formerly Known as 82

I think they might have chances with musical score and perhaps visual effects but in terms of any awards for actors or the picture itself I don't think it stands much of a chance.

Just here to mess with your brain, it's all very innocent I swear *Pokes*
Old February 15th, 2009, 6:00 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Even though I personally love every single HP film, I highly doubt any will get an Oscar. I expect maybe a few (3 at most) nominations though.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old February 15th, 2009, 8:09 am
Hogwarts Graduate

Peter Jackson as Director?

SEVERUS SNAPE
HEADMASTER
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
1997-98

REQUIESCAT IN PACE
9 JANUARY, 1960 - 2 MAY, 1998
Old February 15th, 2009, 8:24 am
Second Year

I'd expect maybe a special effects nomination, or maybe something else minor, like sound editing, but I think the only category it'd have the slightest chance of winning would be for the effects.

They're also released at the wrong time for Oscars, unless they release the Hallows films in December instead of June/July. Most films that get any real Oscar recognition are released in the last couple of months of the year, so they're fresh in the Academy's mind. And the Acadmey is also very prejudiced when it comes to the major categories (as The Dark Knight and Wall-E proved this year) and purely because of the films genre and demographic, it would instantly be out of the running for consideration. Even if the Hallows films are mind-blowingly awesome (not just to us but critics as well) it wouldn't have much of a chance for anything away from the minor categories.

Old February 15th, 2009, 10:16 am
Winning Teamster

Perhaps it gets a few technicals.... but they'd really have to come up with something very new for some of the action scenes, or the locations we haven't seen yet.

otherwise, the 'look' of the film is probably too well established to get technical Oscar nominations at this stage.

A score by John Williams (if he consented to come back) could have a chance for a nomination.

Otherwise, with a two-part DH, I'd say the chances are nil.

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic
Old February 15th, 2009, 12:16 pm
Third Year

Well, part I would have a chance at the Oscars. What it really takes is a combination of solid acting and cinematic finesse. Potter has got the finesse part down, though I don't know how much Yates will let the modern American-wannabe preferences within him steer the last two films away from that. But if he can manage to make the first one into an emotional journey as a semi-boring action adventure (as have all the previous ones have been) rather than a full-on blockbuster and get genuinely credible performances out of Radcliffe and the rest of the cast (which I think he can), then it could very well get nominations for the more popular categories and a potential win for best film.

There are two problems with Dark Knight: 1) It's a dummy-head nonsensical action blockbuster for the masses and 2) Nolan is a terrible, MERCIFULLY AWFUL actors' director. Any intensity and awesomeness that comes out of anyone in any of his movies is thanks to that actor's talent and ethic. You can tell it has absolutely nothing to do with Nolan, based off of how poorly the smaller supporting cast acts under his direction. The Academy are not stupid. They see this. They know where to give credit where credit is due and this case, it's Heath Ledger. I definitely think Yates has a shot at nabbing a best director award. Say what you will about Order of the Pheonix from a technical view (and I know I have), but the performances in that film were all top notch. He managed to make Emma Watson MEDIOCRE. Watson. THAT is true directorial talent right there. THAT is what the Academy looks at.

One must also keep in mind the politics that go into it. The Academy held off on major awards for the LotR because they knew it was series and therefore decided to shower the third and final one with awards instead of the second one (which most people expected and wanted). The same could be said for Stuart Craig, who's art direction has been VERY deserving of an Oscar ever since the beginning of the series, but it's clear that the Academy have been holding out for it until the end. The same can be said costume design and visual effects.

Old February 15th, 2009, 1:03 pm
Registered Animagus

I think screenplay, director, acting, editing, costume are all out for contendors. It'd have to be something like special effects or music.

Old February 15th, 2009, 4:12 pm
Fifth Year

It will probably be nominated for some of the technical awards. No way it will even be considered for the major ones. Return of the King recieved those awards for the whole trilogy, but Potter has been such an uneven and often uninspired franchise that DH will really have to be something spectacular to get there.

Old February 15th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

There are two problems with Dark Knight: 1) It's a dummy-head nonsensical action blockbuster for the masses and 2) Nolan is a terrible, MERCIFULLY AWFUL actors' director.
I strongly disagree. However this is not the forum for that discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
One must also keep in mind the politics that go into it. The Academy held off on major awards for the LotR because they knew it was series and therefore decided to shower the third and final one with awards instead of the second one (which most people expected and wanted).
Yes and no. The first LOTR film was nominated for Best Pic. FOTR also garnered several other noms, including the only acting nod of the whole saga - for Ian McKellan.

So far the HP saga has garnered zero noms so there is nothing to "build on".

Nor has it deserved any IMO, although I agree that it would be nice to see Stuart Craig gain some recognition.

I don't think the costume design is anything special. What costumes strike you as outstanding?

Old February 15th, 2009, 6:03 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

Perhaps special effects or score, I don't see DH winning any major categories. For starters, HP is a franchise and is seen as a blockbuster movie - the Academy rarely recognises those films for awards. Then again, you have the likes of Titanic, which in hindisght, is fairly mediocre, with a haul of 11 Oscars. Lord of the Rings is an exception, as it is truly epic and was handled more evenly than the HP film series. Heath Ledger's nomination for Dark Knight is also an exception, because his performance there was one of a kind, above and beyond anything usually seen in blockbuster films.

Pic by julvett at deviantart http://julvett.deviantart.com/gallery/2984632
"Relationships are like glass; sometimes it's better to leave them broken than to hurt yourself trying to put them back together." Anonymous
"Like this one time I sort of ran over this girl on her bike. It was the most traumatising event of my life and she’s trying to make it about her leg. Like my pain meant nothing." - Cordelia; Buffy the Vampire Slayer S1Ep11.
Old February 15th, 2009, 6:09 pm
Third Year

Guys... Guys... Play nice and lets be a little more constructive here!...

I held of a little in reacting...

Personally If there were going to be any Oscar nod possibilities I feel, Alan Rickman as Snape could get a nomination, provided he play Snape to his best in the Princes Tale at almost the end of part 2 and yates will have to get one hell of a perfmormance out of Radcliffe at In the forest again chapter. For them to get a best costume and make up they have to do something rather special to the three principal characters in the Ministry break in and Gringots break in, instead of using other characters advanced physical make up instead of CGI would be spectacular.

They will have to make it feel like Lord of the Rings saga to get best picture, make it feel like a HUGE and emotional movie.

Who the Heck Recast?

See my HP music videos at Youtube...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAAm8ogssSU What is behind the Shell?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBRqBm52n-8 Is Harry "Good Enough" by Evanescence
Read My Crossover Fanfic: Goblet of Fire
http://www.cosforums.com/showthread.php?t=114176
Old February 16th, 2009, 2:20 am
Animaga terpsichore

The score for sure. Also, some acting nods, like Alan Rickman. Knowing him and his acting, he would defiantly win the award if he gets nominated. He deserves it.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old February 16th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Winning Teamster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_snuffles View Post
The score for sure. Also, some acting nods, like Alan Rickman. Knowing him and his acting, he would defiantly win the award if he gets nominated. He deserves it.
IMHO, he'd need a LOT more screentime than he has been given in each film so far.

Yes, Judy Dench got her Oscar for a few minutes in Shakespeare in Love. But she's *Judy Dench*, and it was a Weinstein movie, and outrageoulsy canvassed for, too. Rickman is good, but I don't think he gets enough time to show it off. I am also not sure whether non-book readers can actually get the full measure of his performance...

haiku by Silwe Elessan

Proud to be in Ravenclaw
I served on the campaign which got Hermione and Neville elected as co-ministers of Magic

Last edited by Klio; February 16th, 2009 at 8:24 pm.
Old February 16th, 2009, 6:55 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullangel View Post
r nod possibilities I feel, Alan Rickman as Snape could get a nomination, provided he play Snape to his best in the Princes Tale at almost the end of part 2 ....
But.....even if they film every word of dialogue Rowling wrote in the PT, audiences will still see very little of Rickman, as younger actors will have to play Snape-the-child and Snape-the-adolescent. Rickman will only get the sparring-with-DD-over-Harry montage: two minutes of a job.

Old February 16th, 2009, 7:38 pm
Third Year

Just looking how the Oscars are worse every year.

HP having a chance to win an Oscar... No, that will never happens.

The days of LOTR (and Titanic) are over.
And LOTR didnt get any Oscar for any acting performance, though Ian McKellen was good enough. If he didnt get it, I dont see who else for the same style can.

No, that will never happens.

And personally, I watch the movies I want, I say the best movies/actings are the best I think, I don´t think Oscars movies are the best, Oscars movies are just only one limited style, NOT the best.
Basically not interest in them just because of their Oscar nominations.
I care the less.

Old February 16th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Assistant to Minister Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
Just looking how the Oscars are worse every year.

HP having a chance to win an Oscar... No, that will never happens.

The days of LOTR (and Titanic) are over.
Moving on from giving record-breaking number of Oscars to films like Titanic means the Oscars are getting better, as far as I'm concerned... Though I've nver had great respect for or trust in those awards anyway.

Old February 17th, 2009, 2:59 am
Animaga terpsichore

Even if Deathly Hallows doesn't get an Oscar nod, both films (part 1 and 2) will be breaking Guinness World Records, as the films always do.

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends
Old February 17th, 2009, 8:31 am
MODLY CREW

It's an ensemble film and it's children's fantasy on top of that, so they won't get any nominations for the actors. They might get nominations for technical stuff or costumes and make-up. To be honest, I don't think any of the films has been good enough to actually win an Academy Award in any category.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References