Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References

What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar? Awards season thread

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:15 pm
Zonko's Employee

Re: What would it take to get Deathly Hallows an Oscar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Moving on from giving record-breaking number of Oscars to films like Titanic means the Oscars are getting better, as far as I'm concerned... Though I've nver had great respect for or trust in those awards anyway.
The Oscars have always been a very mixed bag. I disliked Braveheart and while I enjoyed Titanic (or at least the second half of it ) I didn't think it deserved however many Oscars it got. The screenplay was AWFUL! Kate Winslet (and the CGI ship!) were the best things in that film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard_Pupil View Post
And LOTR didnt get any Oscar for any acting performance, though Ian McKellen was good enough. If he didnt get it, I dont see who else for the same style can.
Exactly. (Sean Astin was very peeved about that, but never mind. )

And the ensemble cast for both LotR and the Potter franchise were (and are) excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
To be honest, I don't think any of the films has been good enough to actually win an Academy Award in any category.
I don't either.

And I really don't think it matters at all. I enjoy the HP films for what they are: wonderfully enjoyable entertainment.

I do think the films could have been better had the film-makers taken a darker, bolder, more visionary approach to adapting Rowling's stories, and translated the more subversive elements in her lively imagination onto the screen.

Last edited by Pearl_Took; February 17th, 2009 at 12:18 pm.
Sponsored Links
Old February 17th, 2009, 12:52 pm
Sixth Year

Deathly Hallows could be the worst Potter movie ever, and if it won a oscar, I wouldn't care. And vice versa.

I know this topic is about DH and it's oscar chances, so I'll refrain from expressing my feelings on the oscars in general.

Old February 17th, 2009, 12:57 pm
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoana View Post
Moving on from giving record-breaking number of Oscars to films like Titanic means the Oscars are getting better, as far as I'm concerned... Though I've nver had great respect for or trust in those awards anyway.
Actually it did get better indeed: Gladiator and LOTR came after Titanic with all the chances to get Oscars and they did.

Titanic opened the door, but the truly-record-sweeping LOTR 3 closed the door for this kind of movie.

Even a very mature, very, Harry Potter it would take some doing to get into the same style of Titanic, Gladiator, and LOTR.
And even being the same style as those movies, I don´t think it would be considered.

So I am really wondering how much it will take to another Titanic to come and open the door.
Hope not 40 years like the breach Ben Hur-Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl_Took View Post
The Oscars have always been a very mixed bag. I disliked Braveheart and while I enjoyed Titanic (or at least the second half of it ) I didn't think it deserved however many Oscars it got. The screenplay was AWFUL! Kate Winslet (and the CGI ship!) were the best things in that film.

Exactly. (Sean Astin was very peeved about that, but never mind. )

And the ensemble cast for both LotR and the Potter franchise were (and are) excellent.

I don't either.

And I really don't think it matters at all. I enjoy the HP films for what they are: wonderfully enjoyable entertainment.
I second all that

Old February 17th, 2009, 1:19 pm
Conquering Reading Lists

I agree with most of the previous posters that the chances of DH winning any best actor/director/actress/screenplay/supporting actor/actress are nil. However, if John Williams does come back, the score may have a chance to be nominated. Special effects may have a chance too- technical awards would be a better bet.

Also, splitting DH into two, IMO, doesn't really help its Oscar chances, if any. However, I love the HP films, Oscar or not. Its fun, entertaining and we get to visually see the books we've adored so much

"At the end of the first round, I will award three points to Mr. Kaine for an excellent nonspecific condemnation, plus one bonus point for blaming the previous government and another for successfully mutating the question to promote the party line. Mr. van de Poste gets a point for a firm rebuttal, but only two points for his condemnation, as he tried to inject an impartial and intelligent observation"
- Jasper Fforde, Something Rotten

Avatar credit: RachelDinozzo at Deviantart

Rita Skeeter was here
Old February 17th, 2009, 8:42 pm
First Year

I think If they have fun doing it I think they can win big but HP is the best in my books

Last edited by lil2shygirl; February 19th, 2009 at 11:06 pm.
Old February 17th, 2009, 10:22 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil2shygirl View Post
I think If they have fun doing it I think they can win big but HP is the best in my books
Win what though? What categories do you think DH stands any chance in?

Old February 18th, 2009, 12:18 pm
Seventh Year

Personally - I think that it will be the end of the series.
Sadly though I doubt that there will be an oscar for Harry.
The only reason that LOTR got them was there would have been uproar if they hadn't.
Nah, the Oscar voters are to snobby and elitist to vote for a fantasy film.

Everyone has a photographic memory ... some, like me, just don't have any film
Old February 18th, 2009, 5:58 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Personally - I think that it will be the end of the series.
Do you mean - there will be Oscars awarded after the last HP film?

Quote:
The only reason that LOTR got them was there would have been uproar if they hadn't.
And what would this hypothetical "uproar" actually do to AMPAS voters? How would it affect them? Most of them are very old, and no longer work in the industry.

Quote:
Nah, the Oscar voters are to snobby and elitist to vote for a fantasy film.
They voted for the three LOTR films which were... fantasy films.

Old February 18th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Banned

If it's going to get an Oscar, it'll get one for part 2 of Deathly Hallows, not part 1. It'll have to be one heck of a movie for it to get an Oscar, though. Have any of the HP movies gotten any big time awards? Anyways, it'll take some great performances, great directing, great special effects, and a great script for it to get an Oscar. I really hope it does, though.

Old February 18th, 2009, 9:41 pm
Hogwarts Graduate

I don't think HP will ever win any Oscar awards. Well, not for acting. Maybe for other areas like technical or lighting. (Just in my opinion).

Old February 19th, 2009, 8:12 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullangel View Post
Hi dear friends seeing that its almost Oscar season, I thought to put this up... Since they just started filming Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows... What would it take to get it a few of those Golden statues?
I remember when I was obsessed with Lord of the Rings and I was always bummed when they never won awards for Best Picture. But when the final movie came out they won it. I see this with a lot of shows that have been on for a while and they never win major awards but as soon as the last season wraps up they get a lot of awards. Maybe the Deathly Hallows movie will be the same way...I believe it will be.

"Fell out of bed, butterfly bandage, but don't worry
You'll never remember, your head is far too blurry
Put him in the back of a squad car, restrain that man
He needs his head put through a cat scan
Hey editor, I'm undeniable, hey doctor, I'm certifiable"
Old February 19th, 2009, 8:27 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilCubanita67 View Post
I remember when I was obsessed with Lord of the Rings and I was always bummed when they never won awards for Best Picture. But when the final movie came out they won it. I see this with a lot of shows that have been on for a while and they never win major awards but as soon as the last season wraps up they get a lot of awards. Maybe the Deathly Hallows movie will be the same way...I believe it will be.
But FOTR and TTT were nominated in various categories, FOTR as Best Picture. None of the HP films has been nominated in any category.

Old February 19th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Fifth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapes_witch View Post
Peter Jackson as Director?
Haha, I definitely second that!

As it is, the only chance DH has at an Oscar is something techinical, like sound editing or visual effects - if they don't much them up, that is.

Old February 19th, 2009, 9:00 pm
Third Year

I don't think a "children's" movie has won a Best Picture Oscar since Mary Poppins and times are much changed since then, so I don't hold out much hope for HP to win a major award. I suppose it's possible one of the last 3 films might win a technical award, as many have said. The acting is unlikely to be singled out for honors--although I guess it would be the height of irony if Michael Gambon was nominated as Best Supporting Actor, given how some of us feel about his portrayal of Dumbledore.

But as I hardly ever enjoy the films that win the Best Picture Oscar, I don't even care that HP is overlooked.

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:19 am
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
Also, splitting DH into two, IMO, doesn't really help its Oscar chances, if any.
I think you're dead right about that, Lilyrose.

Quote:
However, I love the HP films, Oscar or not. Its fun, entertaining and we get to visually see the books we've adored so much
My feelings exactly.

Old February 20th, 2009, 1:16 pm
Fourth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfutterman View Post
But FOTR and TTT were nominated in various categories, FOTR as Best Picture. None of the HP films has been nominated in any category.
I know, that's why I wrote "best picture" in italics to mean that they never won in that category before Return of the King. I know that they won in other categories and were nominated for best picture for the others but I only really cared about whether they won best picture. As for HP, maybe they could win at least one award, even if it is in a technical, costume, makeup, etc. category. It's the last film(s), I'm sure they would want to go out with a bang. I don't know about an oscar but other awards it might have a chance at winning.

"Fell out of bed, butterfly bandage, but don't worry
You'll never remember, your head is far too blurry
Put him in the back of a squad car, restrain that man
He needs his head put through a cat scan
Hey editor, I'm undeniable, hey doctor, I'm certifiable"

Last edited by LilCubanita67; February 20th, 2009 at 1:52 pm.
Old February 21st, 2009, 5:34 am
Zonko's Employee

I was thinking and I came to the conclusion that DH: part one has the potential to win an Oscar. It comes out at the end of fall which is the beginning of Oscar movie season, it's an 'intimate' character film, not a big epic climatic action packed film that DH2 will be.

If they play their cards right, DH1 could tell the story of a young man accepting the loss of loved ones and continuing his quest, choosing duty over desire. This constant conflict established in Godric's Hollow and then coming into fruition when the trio learn of the deathly hallows provides for some great drama.

You also have the drama between the trio during the camping scenes, Ron leaving and returning, the drama with the locket, etc.

All of-course in the backdrop of a great war, and the nazi imagery with the pure-blood oppression and the state of the ministry of magic with Magic is Might.

DH1 can be a dark and depressing but soul-searching character piece if made well.

It really can be the Empire Strikes Back of the series.

Hufflepuff through and through! On COS and Pottermore!
Fair, Just, Loyal and unafraid of Toil

Last edited by MasterOfDeath; February 21st, 2009 at 5:49 am.
Old February 24th, 2009, 10:36 am
Fourth Year

first of all it would take something that the 1st 6 films are yet to have.... a GOOD director!! oh and re-hire John Williams tocompose the music again

Old February 25th, 2009, 4:08 pm
Zonko's Employee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mactheknife View Post
first of all it would take something that the 1st 6 films are yet to have.... a GOOD director!!
Any suggestions as to who?

Old February 25th, 2009, 7:59 pm
Animaga terpsichore

I don't know if Deathly Hallows would get an Oscar or not. Last time a fantasy film got an Oscar was Lord of the Rings, wasn't it?

Keep On Dancing Til The World Ends

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Forum Archives > Post DH References