Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

Old July 14th, 2013, 3:24 am
The Next Great Adventurer

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

In case who you wondering what would happen if JKR published under a pseudonym. Here's the answer.

IndependentJK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, secretly penned a crime novel which became a rave-review bestseller without readers realising she had written it.

The Cuckoo’s Calling, by 'Robert Galbraith': JK Rowling's secret bestseller

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

You got what anybody gets . . . You got a lifetime. -- Death of the Endless
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2013, 3:42 am
Second Year

Rowling has a new book out!

Apparently, Rowling has a new book that has been on shelves for about 3 months. It was recently revealed that Rowling is the author of The Cuckoo’s Calling which she wrote under a pseudonym.

Sources:
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...r-8707707.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3592769.html

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old July 14th, 2013, 7:22 am
Head of the Dept of
Magical Fundraising

The Cuckoo's Calling by JKR

The press is reporting that JKR has published a detective novel under the pseudonym Robert Galbraith. The reviews look good but I don't know if I can read a book where the hero is called Cormoran Strike

Old July 14th, 2013, 2:37 pm

Re: The Cuckoo’s Calling, by Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling

And the effect of the name being attached to the book?

New StatesmanBefore the news broke last night, the book was ranked 4,709 on Amazon's bestsellers listing; it is now number three.

Sales of "The Cuckoo's Calling" surge by 150,000% after JK Rowling revealed as author

No doubt an early Galbraith cover in good nick will have appreciated considerably too.

A patriot is someone who wants the best for his country, including the best laws and the best ideals. It's something other people should call you -- you shouldn't call yourself that. People who call themselves patriots are usually liars. -- Donald Woods

Old July 14th, 2013, 10:51 pm
Snidget of Champions

What amazes me is how rapidly the news has spread. It really does exemplify the power "J.K. Rowling" has among readers. It also shows precisely why she published under a pseudonym. I imagine it was a huge relief and pleasure to publish and watch the public's and critics' reactions. After all, she is still a newcomer in this genre, and I expect that it helps her see how her writing is received without being attached to Harry Potter. I'm happy for her that she took this route: based upon the non-biased reviews, I think she will be emboldened that her writing is stand-alone material.

While crime fiction is certainly not my main interest, I may check out this book. Of course, I'll be a contributor to the 150,000% that picks it up just because "J.K. Rowling" is attached.

A Place to Gather Post-Closing: Please check out the unofficial CoS Students LiveJournal page to keep in touch with CoS members after the forums close: http://cos-students.livejournal.com
WalnutFirebolt138
Old July 15th, 2013, 5:38 am
Third Year

Wow,that is so cool. If I were Rowling, I think I would like to write under a pen name sometime too especially if I wanted to try a very different genre or something. I'm not really into detective stories or plots like the one she wrote otherwise I might read it. I hope she writes something for children next, that would be cool.

Old July 15th, 2013, 5:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSleepyHead View Post
What amazes me is how rapidly the news has spread. It really does exemplify the power "J.K. Rowling" has among readers. It also shows precisely why she published under a pseudonym.
I think it's indicative of the power of social media. As soon as the news was released it was all over.

The situation was similar when Stephen King was outed as Richard Bachman, but the news was much slower to spread.

(There were other differences including Bachman's relative longevity -- he was revealed after five books and was, by then, selling in the tens of thousands.)

Old July 15th, 2013, 3:12 pm
Sixth Year

Yeah, I just heard about this today, and I think it's awesome that she did it. I'm so going to check out this book and read it as I love crime novels.

Old July 15th, 2013, 7:21 pm
Ron's Pygmy Puff

I heard about it yesterday via Twitter. I kind of wish her identity had been kept more of a secret, but it is what it is. I haven't read The Casual Vacancy yet, so I'll probably get to that before I get to Cuckoo's Calling.

I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3:14

My Graphics|Aftermath|Goodreads|My Blog
I may disagree with you politically, religiously, and/or on Snape but that doesn't mean I dislike you.
Old July 16th, 2013, 1:33 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by leah49 View Post
I heard about it yesterday via Twitter. I kind of wish her identity had been kept more of a secret, but it is what it is.
Agreed. I would have liked to see how well Robert could do without the Rowling backing. Wouldn't it have been great to see the pseudonym rise to fame after several books before the great reveal?

Thank you, COS, for the last 10 years. These forums will be greatly missed.
Old July 16th, 2013, 6:12 am
Assistant to Minister Longbottom

I've read several of the articles, but none seem to know how this information was leaked. Does anyone know? I read several of the Amazon reviews pre-leak and it seems like this book is written as if its the first in a series. I see in the online comments that people claim the news was leaked because the book wasn't selling well. But for the mystery genre, I would think that it would take more than 3 months to get a new author selling. I don't know what good sales look like for a new author, but I think it would have been interesting if the publisher tried to hype it more to see where the sales went.

Anyway, what's interesting to me is that it came so closely after Casual Vacancy. I wonder if she was writing them both at the same time, and if the publisher decided with her which to run under a pseudonym depending on how they thought sales would go. Although, knowing that it was planned to be a series, it would make sense to put her name on CV and let this new series stew a bit.

Which brings me to my last thought. Is she going to spend all her time on crime novels now? Is hope lost for new fantasy from her?

Old July 16th, 2013, 6:45 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMN View Post
Anyway, what's interesting to me is that it came so closely after Casual Vacancy. I wonder if she was writing them both at the same time
There's been rumours of her writing a crime novel for years and years, although she always denied them. She probably wrote most of The Cuckoo's Calling during writing HP.
Quote:
Is hope lost for new fantasy from her?
He's always made comment of shying away from doing fantasy, so I wouldn't be surprised if she never does it again - although her children's "political fairytale" whenever that is released is likely to be fantasy based.

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:56 am
Third Year

It's quite obviously a plan hatched by JKR and the Publishers. They release the book under the Pseudonym initially so JKR gets her unbiased reviews. Once that is done, the secret is deliberately leaked so the publisher can make his money. Everyone happy

Old July 16th, 2013, 11:10 pm
Mrs Gilbert Grape

Quote:
I've read several of the articles, but none seem to know how this information was leaked. Does anyone know? I read several of the Amazon reviews pre-leak and it seems like this book is written as if its the first in a series. I see in the online comments that people claim the news was leaked because the book wasn't selling well. But for the mystery genre, I would think that it would take more than 3 months to get a new author selling. I don't know what good sales look like for a new author, but I think it would have been interesting if the publisher tried to hype it more to see where the sales went.

Anyway, what's interesting to me is that it came so closely after Casual Vacancy. I wonder if she was writing them both at the same time, and if the publisher decided with her which to run under a pseudonym depending on how they thought sales would go. Although, knowing that it was planned to be a series, it would make sense to put her name on CV and let this new series stew a bit.

Which brings me to my last thought. Is she going to spend all her time on crime novels now? Is hope lost for new fantasy from her?
I thought I read somewhere that it was leaked by Simone from the publishers, but I think I saw that on amazon.

Johnny Depp at the Dark Shadows Premiere.
Photo courtesy from twitpik.com
Johnny Depp is my possession, and no one else's, however much they might think so and claim....
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:03 am
MODLY CREW

How interesting that she used a male pen name. It's obvious why she did it but I think it's sad that this is still the best way to be taken seriously, even in 2013.

Old July 17th, 2013, 10:24 am

I think the male pen name was purely to muddy the issue further.

There is no shortage of highly respected female crime writers.

Interestingly Anne Rice's real first name is Howard but she adopted an unambiguously female pen name.

Old July 18th, 2013, 2:19 am
Third Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArryGrotter View Post
There's been rumours of her writing a crime novel for years and years, although she always denied them. She probably wrote most of The Cuckoo's Calling during writing HP.
He's always made comment of shying away from doing fantasy, so I wouldn't be surprised if she never does it again - although her children's "political fairytale" whenever that is released is likely to be fantasy based.
I didn't know that she was making a "political fairytale" but there were rumors that she was going to make a children's story at some point. I don't know much about politics in Britain so it could be interesting or boring.

Old July 18th, 2013, 3:30 am
Twilight Princess

I actually just finished reading The Cuckoo's Calling, which I thought was a great detective novel. I'd been greedily gobbling up Ngaio Marsh novels when I heard JK had a detective novel out, so I was already in the mood.

Anyway, it doesn't seem like anyone else has read it but I adore the brief paragraph when, clearly, Strike runs into a wizard on the street (or at least I will always happily pretend JK meant for the man on the corner with a pointed hat who seemed like some sort of prophet and serves to point to anything going on to be a wink to HP fans!).

Old July 18th, 2013, 8:21 am
Too... Much... Fangirling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMagic View Post
Anyway, it doesn't seem like anyone else has read it
I'm currently in the process - not that far in though and I will probably take a while. Sound like a nice cameo though haha

(this was written way before Fantastic Beasts was a thing... )

A true - CoS and Pottermore!
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:48 am
HighFunctioning Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRW View Post
It's quite obviously a plan hatched by JKR and the Publishers. They release the book under the Pseudonym initially so JKR gets her unbiased reviews. Once that is done, the secret is deliberately leaked so the publisher can make his money. Everyone happy
I don't think it is. She is reportedly furious that the news was accidentally leaked by one of her lawyers.

She's already got more money than she knows what to do with, so she really doesn't need the Galbraith series to be a massive hit. I thinks he would genuinely have wanted the series to sink or swim on its own merits.

Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > The Writing on the Wall > Fiction