Login  

Go Back   Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television

Orphan Black

Old June 27th, 2013, 12:01 am
MODLY CREW

Orphan Black

Anyone looking for a new science fiction series they can get into? Look no further and watch Orphan Black!

I gave this show a try and it's fantastic. It's a BBC America series about illegal human cloning: Sarah Manning finds herself face to face with a woman who's her spitting image and then watches her jump in front of a train. This, however, is only the beginning. Tatiana Maslany, who plays all the clones, is outstanding, and the supporting characters are top notch as well. Anyone else watching and fangirling/boying for this show?

Sponsored Links
Old June 28th, 2013, 9:05 am
Too MAGENTA for a UT

Re: Orphan Black

I've heard nothing but good about this show, except perhaps people groaning about the wait for the second season.

I plan to get started on it this weekend.

the tiniest mite packs the mightiest sting.

Old June 28th, 2013, 11:20 am
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Druid View Post
I've heard nothing but good about this show, except perhaps people groaning about the wait for the second season.

I plan to get started on it this weekend.
I strongly urge you to stick with this plan! The first episode is actually the weakest, so watch at least two or three to get a feeling for the show!

Old June 28th, 2013, 5:42 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriath View Post
The first episode is actually the weakest
That's good to know. I watched the first episode a while ago, and found it sorta kinda interesting, but I guess not enough to go back to it. Now that it's summer and all my favorite shows are on hiatus, I might give this one another shot.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old June 28th, 2013, 9:06 pm
Second Year

I just started watching this show, and I am only 3 or 4 episodes in, but I am hooked. It's definitely interesting.

AsphodelJinx on Pottermore
Old August 15th, 2013, 1:08 pm
Sixth Year

I just finished the season, and it was definitely worth watching. Tatiana Maslany is fantastic; past the first episode, I completely forget that all those characters are being played by the same actress. Sometimes she is even playing one character who is pretending to be another, like Sarah pretending to be Alison, or Alison pretending to be Sarah. My one quibble about it, from episode 10:

Spoiler: show
In an earlier episode Helena had gone to the police station and impersonated Sarah impersonating Beth, and Helena had tucked her blond hair up under a hat. It was very well done. In episode 10, Helena is impersonating Sarah to fool Amelia, and is supposedly wearing a wig this time, but I swear they used plain old wig-less Sarah until Helena stabbed Amelia. I think that's cheating the audience, and trading suspense for a cheap shock.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the implication that Mrs. S is somehow involved. Not sure how that fits in.

I am really looking forward to season 2-- which unfortunately doesn't start until April 2014, so it will be a long wait.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
-- JK Rowling to Harry Potter fans at the beginning of Deathly Hallows, and James Potter to his son at the end of Deathly Hallows.
Old August 15th, 2013, 3:18 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldMotherCrow View Post
I just finished the season, and it was definitely worth watching. Tatiana Maslany is fantastic; past the first episode, I completely forget that all those characters are being played by the same actress. Sometimes she is even playing one character who is pretending to be another, like Sarah pretending to be Alison, or Alison pretending to be Sarah. My one quibble about it, from episode 10:

In an earlier episode Helena had gone to the police station and impersonated Sarah impersonating Beth, and Helena had tucked her blond hair up under a hat. It was very well done. In episode 10, Helena is impersonating Sarah to fool Amelia, and is supposedly wearing a wig this time, but I swear they used plain old wig-less Sarah until Helena stabbed Amelia. I think that's cheating the audience, and trading suspense for a cheap shock.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the implication that Mrs. S is somehow involved. Not sure how that fits in.

I am really looking forward to season 2-- which unfortunately doesn't start until April 2014, so it will be a long wait.
I still cling to the hope that Mrs S just packed up and ran because she was worried for Kira. Sarah never had a monitor, as far as we know, so let's keep our fingers crossed that Mrs S hasn't been doing what we all think she did. It would be weird if the organisation never knew of Sarah but somehow had a scientist at hand raising her and her child.

Old August 15th, 2013, 3:46 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
I still cling to the hope that Mrs S just packed up and ran because she was worried for Kira. Sarah never had a monitor, as far as we know, so let's keep our fingers crossed that Mrs S hasn't been doing what we all think she did. It would be weird if the organisation never knew of Sarah but somehow had a scientist at hand raising her and her child.
Yeah, I'm hoping that Kira's open bedroom window meant that Kira and Mrs. S escaped out of it.

I too can't see how Mrs. S being a monitor makes sense. Maybe Amelia meant something else.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
Old September 17th, 2013, 3:36 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
Yeah, I'm hoping that Kira's open bedroom window meant that Kira and Mrs. S escaped out of it.

I too can't see how Mrs. S being a monitor makes sense. Maybe Amelia meant something else.
I hope she did. It would be all kinds of horrible if really every single person in Sarah's life had ulterior motives.

Old January 13th, 2014, 1:15 pm
Fifth Year

I also felt the same. If Mrs S were one of them why did they never know of Sarah.
Tatiana just pulls off an amazing act of all the characters. And she does it so well you soon forget that she is the same actress. April it is.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old January 19th, 2014, 9:05 pm
MODLY CREW

I'm so stoked for the second series. I hope it won't disappoint. They promised many more clones!

Old January 19th, 2014, 9:16 pm
Sixth Year

It will be fun to see who else Tatiana Maslany will play. Plus, some of the clones I suspect are in for a bad end, so the show is going to need a few replacements.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
Old January 19th, 2014, 9:20 pm
MODLY CREW

Quote:
It will be fun to see who else Tatiana Maslany will play. Plus, some of the clones I suspect are in for a bad end, so the show is going to need a few replacements.
Cosima may be in danger. I fear for her.

Old January 20th, 2014, 10:16 am
Fifth Year

I really thought she would win the Screen Awards. And I want to see her do more Evil Clones. Now that Helena is out.

Power: A Collection An attempt at one shot fics. Latest Chapter The Trap

Get the daily news on the The Daily Prophet or read past articles in the Daily Prophet Archives

Old January 27th, 2014, 9:49 pm
Sixth Year

Quote:
Cosima may be in danger. I fear for her.
I fear for Cosima, too. All the clones might have questionable sense when it comes to dangerous activity and poor choices, but Sarah at least has a lot of experience that she can draw on and has learned from.

And Allison looks the most likely to go off the deep end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugglewizard View Post
I really thought she would win the Screen Awards. And I want to see her do more Evil Clones. Now that Helena is out.
Well, there's the "Pro-Clone", the clone business lady. I'm sure they'll add more clones, some of them opposed to the Clone Club group.

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
Old May 4th, 2014, 3:04 am
Sixth Year

Orphan Black is back for season 2. I finally watched 201, probably catch up on 202 in a few days.

It seems Helena's crazy religious group has Kyra and Mrs. S, rather than Dyad. I don't know if that's better or worse.

Seems that the clones are hard to kill, even if Helena had been picking them off, as Helena has actually survived being shot by Sarah. I guess that was hinted at by Kyra's miraculous survival after being run over by a car. Something in that DNA makes makes them tough.

I'm glad to see that they didn't cheat like they did at the end of last season where Helena pretended to be Sarah but they just used normal Sarah. This time Sarah pretending to be Cosima was instantly recognizable by me as Sarah pretending to be Cosima-- so well done to them from me on that!

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
Old May 6th, 2014, 7:30 pm
MODLY CREW

I so love that this show is back! :yay:

This is getting more and more complex. I knew Mrs S. was more involved than she let on but whoa, I didn't see the cold-blooded killer thing coming.

The not-quite-so-fanatic religious fanatics hit new lows when they forced Helena into a marriage to see if she can reproduce though. Ugh.

I love that we were introduced to Keira's dad, whose presence made up for Paul's absence.

Old May 8th, 2014, 3:12 am
Sixth Year

Heh, I can't click into the spoiler because now I'm behind yet another episode!

Anyway, my thoughts on 202:
Those poor cops, things are getting more and more confusing, and Sarah abandoning Art at that motel. I need to look up who plays the female detective, because she is just stunning to look at.

So Mrs S did escape out the window with Kyra after all! And then her safety net people attempt to sell her out to the religious cult. And Mrs S has her own dark secrets about Project Leda. And is pretty badass. And she lets Sarah go with Kyra. But then I guess she has to know that her plans were all spilled to the cult. Can't wait to find out more about Mrs S.

Not sure I like Sarah fleeing town. I see her as the main character (even though Tatiana Maslany plays half the other characters too), so I am going to miss her if she is not in the thick of things.

Why do I have the feeling that new progressive science crazy cult guy will be even scarier than the newly departed abusive crazy cult guy was?

Now Alison knows she killed the wrong person. And is falling apart. This can't end well.

Cosima's in the lion's den, but at least she might find out more information using her new position. Loved the coldness between her and Rachel. Pro-Clone just doesn't hit it off with her other incarnations.

Now I need to catch up on 203 before I am behind again!

"UNTIL THE VERY END"
Go Back  Chamber of Secrets > Diagon Alley > Television